• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Untitled Comedy - possibley the most ambitous comedy to ever exist

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Untitled Comedy (2010)
Untitled Comedy is scheduled to release sometime this year, has a freaking humongous A-list cast with multiple directors/writers, and we know next to nothing about it.
WHAT THE HELL IS THIS MOVIE?

We’re one step closer to seeing that massive comedy collaboration with Richard Gere, Anton Yelchin, Gerard Butler, Naomi Watts, Hugh Jackman, Kate Winslet, Anna Faris, Johnny Knoxville, Julianne Moore, Liev Schreiber, Elizabeth Banks, Kristen Bell, Kate Bosworth, Josh Duhamel, Justin Long, Seann William Scott, Emma Stone, Jack McBrayer, Chloe Moretz, Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Uma Thurman. As reported by Deadline, the untitled comedy now belongs to Richard Branson’s latest business endeavor, the new production company Virgin Produced.

The film will consist of 19 segments, 14 of which have been shot. Each piece comes from a different director like Steve Brill, Steve Carr, James Gunn, Peter and Bobby Farrelly, Brett Ratner, Banks and Griffin Dunne. Virgin has a deal with Relativity Media to distribute their films, but Relativity is also co-financing this one.

Could this get any better? Apparently it can. Deadline is also saying that the stellar roster is continuing to grow. The portion the Farrelly brothers directed with Jackman and Winslet is already in the can, so it’s being peddled around to pull in even more talent. That segment is being described as “especially outrageous and R-rated.”

Lastly, a Variety article discussing the launch of Branson’s packaging and production company is calling this film Movie 43. Did the untitled comedy finally get a name? It’s possible, but this is the first I’ve heard of it. Actually, it’s not, but the only other article I found using that title includes details that don’t quite correlate with the facts we have. In a Slash Film piece about Relativity’s new streaming deal with Netflix, one of the film’s on the list to hit Netflix and not a premium television channel is “Movie 43, written and directed by Peter Farely.” Spelling error aside, if they’re talking about the same film here, where are the names of the other directors? The press release also states that the film is set to hit theaters this year. With five more segments to film? I doubt it.
By Perri Nemiroff
Massive Untitled Comedy Goes To Virgin Produced And Gets A Name? | Shockya.com

Relativity Media, LLC (RML) announced today it has begun production on the Untitled Comedy project. In January, Relativity Media came aboard to co-finance and co-produce the project, and will arrange distribution through one of their studio partners. Production will continue until late May.

Peter Farrelly, Charles Wessler, GreeneStreet Films' John Penotti and Relativity Media's Ryan Kavanaugh are producing the project. Executive producers are Tim Williams of GreeneStreet Films and Tucker Tooley of Relativity Media. Co-producers are Tom Gormican and Marc Ambrose. Rocky Russo and Jeremy Sosenko also serve as associate producers. Witness Protection Films also serves as a production company partner.

Originally set up at Overture Films, the project kicked into high gear after the producers met with Relativity Media last December. The brainstorming session lead to a revamp of the central premise of the film. The new team created the template for a unifying storyline for a series of sketch comedies in the vein of the 1970s hits Kentucky Fried Movie and Groove Tube.

"Relativity has been the perfect partner through the extraordinarily complicated process of putting this movie together. We are thrilled to be underway," commented Farrelly.

The filmmakers who have already completed their work are Peter Farrelly, Brett Ratner, Elizabeth Banks, Bob Odenkirk, and Griffin Dunne. Additional directors will be announced shortly.

The growing cast includes, Elizabeth Banks, Gerard Butler, Kieran Culkin, Hugh Jackman, Johnny Knoxville, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Chloe Moretz, Liev Schreiber, Sean William Scott, Tony Shalhoub, Emma Stone, Matt Walsh, Patrick Warburton, Naomi Watts, and Kate Winslet. The producers will announce additional cast members as further deals are solidified.

"We all sat down and came up with what we think is a hilarious through-line for the movie," said Wessler. "Given the amount of pot I had smoked, at least I think it is hilarious."

Penotti added, "This has been one of the most fun and challenging projects we have ever undertaken. We are completely blown away by the caliber of talent that this project has attracted. It is a testament to the quality of Charlie and Pete's original concept."

Farrelly and Wessler are long time collaborators, working on many of the classic Farrelly Brothers comedies including There's Something About Mary, Dumb & Dumber and Shallow Hal.
Relativity Announces Production on Untitled Comedy - ComingSoon.net

And though this isn't from a news article, but an imdb board post, it's still the closest thing to actually concrete information I could find.
From various news articles, I came up with a list of 11 segments that we know about so far:

."The Catch" with Hugh Jackman and Kate Winslet. Directed by Peter Farrelly.
."Robin's Big Speed Date" with lots of people (see cast listing). Directed by James Duffy.
."Homeschooled" with Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber. Directed by Will Graham.
."The Apprentice" with Anton Yelchin (Chekhov in the recent Star Trek movie). Has something to do with a guy who works in a morgue. Directed by Damon Escott.
."IBabe"- Directed by Steven Brill ("Little Nicky", "Mr. Deeds").
.The segment about a foulmouthed leprechaun played by Gerard Butler, and two guys trying to capture him (Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville). Directed by Brett Ratner.
.A segment starring Emma Stone and Keiran Culkin, directed by Griffin Dunne.
.A segment starring Christopher Mintz-Plasse and Chloe Moretz, about a girl getting her first period. Directed by Elizabeth Banks.
.A segment starring Elizabeth Banks and Josh Duhamel, directed by James Gunn ("Slither").
.We know that Bob Odenkirk is direcing a segment.
.Steve Carr ("Paul Blart: Mall Cop") is also directing a segment.

I have seen rumors that Mike Judge is directing a segment, but haven't seen confirmation on that anywhere. That would make 12 if that's true.

So far, all these segments don't seem to have much to do with each other, so I can't really figure out what the "theme" of this movie is supposed to be

I don't know about you guys, but as a huge fan of sketch comedy and shorts, I'm all kinds of on board for this.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Seeing the names involved, I have this to say. When this movie comes out, I will buy myself a monocle, top hat, a bunch of sigars and my trusty box of popcorn. I will proceed to watch this movie with said items. If I like the movie (seems likely), I shall loudly exclaim "splendid!" and act like I'm a better person than those who haven't watched it (which, logically, I and everyone who did see it will be)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back