• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular opinions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I don't think Saïx not explicitly talking about his betrayal of the Organization to atone was a failure of the writing.

First, I like how his betrayal is hinted at in the game ( I love the shot of Roxas pointing his Keyblade towards Xemnas and Saïx when he says 'and others too') and then Vexen's Secret Report allows you to work it out for sure but it never straight out tells you so it's something you can work out.
Secondly, I think him not admitting that he was helping Axel and preferring to play the part of an enemy until his defeat makes sense for him. He's a very reserved guy, which you can see even when he's a kid in BBS, so I can see him finding being honest about his personal feelings harder than pretending to be the cold, cruel person he became in the original Organisation.

I do feel maybe something could have been added in Re Mind to show his true intentions more clearly and am not defending tacking Subject X onto his and Axel's backstory though.
I personally don't have that big of a issue with Saix's atonement. I wish we could have seen more of it and his thought process. Maybe in the novels or manga hopefully? That being said I kinda get why some are split on it. We never truly see how he reaches this point of clarity and wanting to make up for how he acted. Saix was basically the main antagonist of Days on a personal level, even more then Xemnas, and he was pretty loathsome in KH2 as well with his treatment of Sora and willing to attack Kairi and Namine. I consider Saix one of the better Organization members in terms of character and backstory.

Unfortunately Saix's atonement comes at a price. Because of it, Lea/Axel is rendered useless in KH3 as Saix saved both his friends with no involvement from Axel whatsoever. It makes Axel's promise to save Roxas pointless and his seeing Xion in Kairi equally pointless and goes nowhere. It also makes Lea having a Keyblade pointless outside popularity. It should have been joint between them if you wanna go that route. Have Saix secretlty deliver the Roxas vessel to the heroes early and Axel plays a role in sparking him, thus keeping his promise. And when Axel and Saix have their clocktower meeting, have Saix keep subtlety nudging Axel about the third ice cream until he remembers there's someone else he has to save. Keyblade Graveyard Axel realizes Xion's the third ice cream and helps restore her. This way you have Saix still play part of his secret atonement but Axel also keeps his promise to bring his friends back.

And finally the conclusion. I loved seeing Isa join the group, and I may have said this in another thread, but personally I thought it happened a little too soon. I would have waited, let RAX begin a search for Isa in a post KH3 game, similar to looking for Riku. This way we can see Isa bond with Roxas and Xion and so when he does join everyone in Twilight Town it will feel truly earned. The Twilight Town gang all sitting together eating ice cream was beautiful one of my all time favorite KH moments, but it was done too early. The end goal should have always been them sitting together with ice cream in hand, but if there had been one more game before it, I'd say it was 100% perfect.

But that's just my take on the whole Saix/Isa thing. Sorry for all this Dast, lol.

Cumguardian69

Awards
Not an unpopular opinion so much as it is a fact, but the scatterbrained retroactive style of ""story"""telling" that this series has is hilarious when it tries to take itself seriously.

Like think about it.

•We just had a game to cap off Xenahrot saga, but that game wanted us on some level to be sympathetic with that villain. Instead of planting those seeds sometime between DDD and 3, Noruma made us wait two years after the capstone game to give us the backstory for the main villain...only to present it as dripfeed 2D gacha content, voiceless and delayed for Global players so far btw, and who knows how long KHDR is going to run for both due to external factors (covid killing workflow) and internal factors (SE doing SE things like generating nearly infinite, basically free money from gacha).

•The game that is touted as having the player learn the origins of Kingdom Hearts (KHX/UX/XBC) only presents more questions also featured as dripfeed gacha, to this day UX still isn't finished. The furryteller saga also is basically completely divorced from the current saga but at the same time it is VeRy ImpORtaNT to understanding dark seeger saga. It's whacky af.

Perkilator

Awards
We could probably use a Perfect Dodge mechanic were you have a second to strike back once you pull the perfect dodge off correctly.

disney233

Awards
Listen....aside from DDD's introduction to....THAT character and the messy concept of everything else.........it had fun gameplay and beautiful scenery. I can't lie.

Majik_Lapin_(Spirit)_KH3D.png
Also, best Dream Eater, thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Last edited:

astertide

Awards
Drumroll please and no hate :sweating:

No canon Sokai or Soriku. Don't make Kairi the romantic interest, or at least don't make it romantic until they spend A LOT more time together. It's too cliché. Just make her and Sora's friends, and no Soriku either. KH is all about friendship, right? Why don't Kairi, Sora and Riku spend time being friends together? Instead of Riku becoming a third wheel, Kairi and Riku barely interacting, etc. There'll just be a whole load of drama about "whether you love me" when it's better as "I know we're friends and I've got your back." The line is "My friends are my power!" not "Kairi is my power!" Then again, it's my very unpopular opinion.

I guess romance is alright for the other characters, but Sora is the Friendship Guy™, so, like... Friendship... Will he have to eventually choose between Kairi and his other friends?

Also a not-so-unpopular opinion: WE NEED A RIKU AND KAIRI TEAM ATTACK AND A SORA, RIKU AND KAIRI TEAM COMBO ATTACK
we have Gayblade and Angel Wings we need moarrr

D

Deleted member 246005

I don't mind romance in the series, i just prefer if the cast doesn't fall for each other.
@Guernsey
Depends on what you mean. Do you wish some previous entries were noncanon or do you wanna just see KH cross over with some other properties?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guernsey

Awards
It is the former as I really didn't wish that some previous entries didn't tie into the main games.

.:Mega:.

Awards
I really think that SoKai was mishandled in this series. So much of it is told rather than shown, and it's made worse by the fact that Kairi seldom gets any agency outside her connection to Sora. The fact that she and Riku are barely allowed to talk at all speaks volumes and I REALLY hope that changes in the future.

But as it is, I just can't get behind a ship that gives Kairi so little agency. It's a pair that I have seen done well in fanworks and I don't hate it, but it just doesn't personally interest me. The paopu scene did NOT feel earned to me and actually upset me because I wanted to see Kairi... have meaningful friendships and conversations and actions that don't tether her to Sora. 8/

Another unpopular (?) opinion: I think KH2's manga, overall, is better-written than the KH2 game. I do think the earlier chapters are a bit too gag-heavy at times (see: Xaldin's death), but it gives the characters way more time to shine, trims a lot of the fat, and Kairi. Actually gets to talk to people who aren't Sora and take some initiative in her own struggles. I LOVED the trio fight against Xigbar, even if I acknowledge it wouldn't work as well from a gameplay perspective.

I just think Shiro Amano is a better writer than, say, Oka, who I feel has really led to a decline in quality in the series post-BBS. Though THAT is probably less of an unpopular opinion. :p

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Another unpopular (?) opinion: I think KH2's manga, overall, is better-written than the KH2 game.
If this is a unpopular opinion then I share it. The KH2 manga fixes nearly every criticism I have with the KH2 story and characters.

.:Mega:.

Awards
Yeah, seriously. One of my biggest issues with KH2 is just how bloated it is. The prologue? Excellent. I liked the mid point in HB as well as the climax, but so much of the plot feels like filler up until Axel grabs Kairi.

I actually think of the games, KH1 is still the best-written, though I also do love CoM, Days, and BBS in terms of story. But KH3D and KH3 just... other than Riku's arc in 3D and KH3's Pixar worlds, I'm just not a fan. I think Sora having to save everyone in KH3 really robbed the supporting cast of meaningful moments.

DraceEmpressa

Awards
I don't think UX/X needs console remake. What it actually needs is longer and/or frequent main plot update, preferably both, and I am sure neither SE is Disney is small company that is incapable of providing more staff for the mobile games.

I'm going to be honest that generally I feel apathy in the whole "mobile gaming isn't real gaming" mindset in the west. Why ? If you say that phones aren't made for gaming in the first place so is PC/laptop. By that logic MMORPG isn't real games either. And if you want to argue with the technicalities like graphic or the sound chip mobile games nowadays can even run DS emulator just fine, or that older consoles games like SNES or PS1 isn't real games either. You don't like mobile gaming that's opinion, okay, that's fine. but saying it's not real gaming like it's fact when it's not ...no.

FGO have way bigger fandom than the Fate fandom before it, mobile games can have popularity just fine. I think the problem with KHUX is that bc it's a gacha that sells weapon instead of units , though, generally SE gachas are quite obscure among gacha players, so I would just say generally SE manages their gachas poorly.

AegisXIII

Awards
I don't think UX/X needs console remake. What it actually needs is longer and/or frequent main plot update, preferably both, and I am sure neither SE is Disney is small company that is incapable of providing more staff for the mobile games.

I'm going to be honest that generally I feel apathy in the whole "mobile gaming isn't real gaming" mindset in the west. Why ? If you say that phones aren't made for gaming in the first place so is PC/laptop. By that logic MMORPG isn't real games either. And if you want to argue with the technicalities like graphic or the sound chip mobile games nowadays can even run DS emulator just fine, or that older consoles games like SNES or PS1 isn't real games either. You don't like mobile gaming that's opinion, okay, that's fine. but saying it's not real gaming like it's fact when it's not ...no.

FGO have way bigger fandom than the Fate fandom before it, mobile games can have popularity just fine. I think the problem with KHUX is that bc it's a gacha that sells weapon instead of units , though, generally SE gachas are quite obscure among gacha players, so I would just say generally SE manages their gachas poorly.
The main issue with mobile games is the fact that they rely on an external server and microtransactions. If you want to start Ux right now there is no way you can catch up. Thus, the story is accessible for a tiny tiny set of players. This is an issue if the story is mandatory for a console game.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
Kingdom Hearts being spread across multiple platforms is partly the reason why the series has such a strong fanbase.

Both Sony and Nintendo fans have an affinity for Kingdom Hearts. That's fairly unprecedented for a game series.
There is a lot of truth in that. I see plenty of people say COM, Days, and even DDD was their first KH game and they are still heavily involved with the series and following it just like those who started with the PS2 games.

Hedginka

Awards
KH1's story isn't that great. Perfectly enjoyable, nothing especially wrong with it, but it is far from the beauty that most diehard, oldschool KH fans consider it. While the pacing is certainly better than most of the games in the series, the Disney villains being in league with each other didn't add a great deal ultimately and the idea of there being an even bigger bad guy pulling the strings behind the scenes is hardly revolutionary. Also, KH1 is not free from plot holes just like the rest of the series. The first that leaps to mind is The Beast making his way to Hollow Bastion simply by believing with no more elaboration ever given. Does it ruin the story for me at all? No, don't be daft. But the way a lot of OG players look down on games like KH2 for introducing supposedly plot-hole ridden concepts makes me roll my eyes.

While I have a good time with it every time I replay, I doubt KH1 would even make my top 3 stories of the series. CoM, KH2, 358/2 Days and maybe even DDD all tell more engaging tales to me.

Back