• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular opinions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
0.2's gameplay is so fun and smooth the Heartless bosses are balanced and not another proof how bad Team Osaka is at programming them.

Wait...

give it enough time and eventually every kh is actually the worst ever

Apparently.
I thought for the longest time that "The first KH is bad" was something preached only by teenagers who thought doing a cool move in KH II by pressing triangle was the pinnacle of videogames, but then I discovered that is the favorite line of many youtubers who apparently forgot how to videogame.

Muke

whatever
Awards
0.2's gameplay is so fun and smooth the Heartless bosses are balanced and not another proof how bad Team Osaka is at programming them.
D-did we play the same game?
Well, at this point I'll just quote posts that I wrote or agree with:

No, because there are still a lot of Osaka problems in the game. Aqua still feels really slow, combos are kinda slow in comparison to KH2's combos.
[...]
And while 0.2 is a step into the right direction, it still has a lot to learn from KH2, if you ask me. I do like the magic spells more than KH2's spells.

Well, of course it's mostly subjective, but just looking at the final battle has me scream NO.

To me personally, KH2 was perfection when it came down to gameplay. Revenge Values, Desperation Moves, summon special effects, drive form abilities, it just had it all. Add that to Sora attacking absolutely smoothly...♥

0.2 went a better way than a lot of other games like BBS (hey look at this super-strong blade that is diddlying useless) or Dream Drop Balloonra, but I'm still kinda mad about the way Aqua attacks (and misses) certain enemies, and even if I can accept her fighting style being a bit slower, I can't accept simple stuff like not being able to control your jumps and stuff like that.

[...] 0.2 still didn't quite make me feel like I had to use much skill (except for the Aqua fights, which were comparatively amazing by the way). It was mostly running, spamming magic, kinda blocking a bit maybe, using triangle, rinse and repeat. Some enemies like the water thingies didn't properly react to the spells I used (which btw is an amazing feature as well and I want that to be a relevant gameplay element in KH3) which was kinda sad though.

I also would like to add that the terrible input lag in 0.2 also completely destroyed the experience. When I press circle twice, I want Aqua to immediately jump twice, like Sora does in 2. No, she just jumps once because of reasons I don't understand. Probably because she is so slooow.

I also think they should get rid of the running animation-gets-faster-after-2-seconds thing.

As I've said before, the reason I can look past KH2's flat and linear level design is because it doesn't get in the way of the excellent gameplay. I can appreciate 0.2's level design by itself, but it clashes with the game's downright bad programming. Sometimes you'll grab a ledge and sometimes you wont. The context-specific platforming is prioritized over things like jumping or attacking, which results in inputs being dropped. The ice trail can only be done on flat surfaces, making it useless since 90% of these levels are made out of uneven surfaces.
It all works against each other, instead of in tandem.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Sure, but even with objective facts you're going to have disagreements - like KH2's animation is super smooth, but it relies too much on drive forms and reaction commands which are tedious and leveling them to get cool abilities is also, like, not a fun romp. 3D's take on the command deck (even if you can grab commands that make it OP ((but like don't use them??)) is a huge improvement on BBS, which was a huge improvement on the card deck of CoM, and flowmotion's a cool mechanic in theory but can be too much at times. 0.2's limited flow motion is a huge improvement and its magic is the best to date, but hoo shit, she floats.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
What does it matter if it's tangible if every thread is a ctrl+v of every post users make before. Might as well set an autoresponder.

Because it can go deeper! (almost) every KH has it's good pieces and bad pieces. We've got enough games that at this point, we should be able to put them all together and leave the bad stuff out. Being able to identify what actually makes these games good is fun, because it makes it more exciting when they get it right; case in point, the amazing 0.2 update that rebalanced damage in Crit.

if you don't like cyclical discussions you probably shouldn't be discussing a franchise that has such long breaks between releases.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
I mean, I could also say that if you don't like story you probably shouldn't be discussing a franchise whose last gameplay you enjoyed was 10 years ago.

but I'm not the one telling people to stop discussing things, am I? and there's fun stuff in almost all the KH games. Cool Disney stuff, cool graphics, cool mechanics. They just happened to get it righter in the first few installments than they do now.

try to be less angsty in the future hehe

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
duckman, you can talk about whatever you want, but it's boring that we keep hitting the same shit almost verbatim

Being able to identify what actually makes these games good is fun, because it makes it more exciting when they get it right; case in point, the amazing 0.2 update that rebalanced damage in Crit.

Like, that's cool - but I literally can't remember someone mentioning the cool things from the games in forever, or hell, the bad things from ALL the games at once instead of there being a most-hated and unplayable irredeemable flavor of the month. Though to be fair, this has always been something that's happened with KH. When CoM came out, the card battle system was deeply hated and its reception was very similar to how coded's treated now with most people saying to skip it, which I honestly think any of the kh games can be skipped since they're all not for everybody and that's a lot of money to spend and time.

i don't think it's a bad thing that i think we can do better at actual discussions and foster in those new points of view

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
Despite I not agreeing with everything he does, I love KH story and I think Nomura is a great writer.
I particularly like how he tries to connect everything and all the symbolism behind it.

Last edited:

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
^ I agree! Thankfully I enjoyed a few of them anyway.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I abhor Chi/Unchained Union whatever the garbage is called's very existence. The Foretellers don't even bother me in theory, it's just too bad Nomura decided to introduce them in that of all places.

SoulXaldin

Awards
^ I agree! Thankfully I enjoyed a few of them anyway.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I abhor Chi/Unchained Union whatever the garbage is called's very existence. The Foretellers don't even bother me in theory, it's just too bad Nomura decided to introduce them in that of all places.

Mate, I don’t think this game needs to exist! Many of the worlds and storylines feel rehashed, most of the plot points are completely inconsequential to the main lore and if you’re looking to get into just understand some tidbits about said lore of events pre-dating BBS, this game is a complete freaking drag. I do not have the time to sit down and play over 800 story quests!

Back