• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

brittanymarshel

I really liked many opinions on this topic. And I want to know what antiviruses do you use on your PC? If we consider avast vs mcafee what to choose?

Generally, there's no need for antivirus but it could be VPNs for gaming if you're outside the US or using servers inside the US, which is generally referring to the retention on logs. There are some VPN providers that don't retain logs that are US based, and there are European countries that I wouldn't trust any more than the US.

Last edited:

Tyrant Raver

The Dragon
Awards
I don't know if anyone said this already, but aesthetic-wise, Inteleon is the single most disappointing final starter evolution. Sobble deserved better, the fan evolutions were much more appealing than the actual evolution itself.

How did you even went from precious, baby, must-protect baby boye (yes I'm saying baby twice) into Bland Salamander Squidward?

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Ludwig is the best Koopaling:

1. He's the oldest & 2nd-in-command to Bowser in SMB3.

2. He's the only one with a unique boss fight in World, at least until Bowser Jr. aped it in Maker.

3. He's the most frequently appearing Koopaling (aside from Bowser JR.), being the only one to appear in all four of Mario is Missing, Hotel Mario, M&S@ Rio 2016 3DS Version, & M&S@ Tokyo 2020.

4. He's a mad scientist in the old DiC cartoons. His trophy in SSB4 mentions him being the brains of the group so hey, it's canon!

5. As such he was the one responsible for kicking off the events of the best episode of the SMB3 cartoon: where he creates a device that basically hacks an infinite number of power-ups for Bowser, who in turn proceeds to conquer France with it & the closest thing to a big battle scene that DiC can muster with the Mario Bros.

Last edited:

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
While I acknowledge and agree that some games went overboard with them, I did not mind HM moves in Pokemon. Furthermore in my opinion getting rid of their overworld functions is 1 of the many reasons the main series has been steadily getting too easy since it's less decisions to make in regards to movesets. Exploration has also gone down as the old games were filled with little extra paths that required a HM to reach, sometimes one you didn't get until much later, and that seems to have mostly disappeared.

Secondly, while it doesn't excuse some of gamefreak's decisions, the fact that pokemon "fans" keep bitching after (or even before) every release for every perceived slight has directly helped contribute to gamefreak phoning it in on several occasions.

DISCLAIMER: I do not mean that fans are solely responsible for everything wrong. Neither here or anywhere else. All I'm saying is that the entire situation is far more nuanced than "gamefreak bad"

Last edited:

Veevee

Awards
The silent protagonist thing is really, really outdated and doesn't actually work well. I wish we would finally move on from this.

If you give me a choice in a video game, make it an actual choice or leave it out. Yeah, giving the wrong answer to see how everyone gets pissed might be fun the first three times, but always being presented a "choice" without it leading to any kind of difference, as it's often the case with JRPG questions, is pretty dumb.

JPRGs in general should put a lot of effort into the party dynamics. A game where you have a party feels much more alive if the party members have a connection to each other and if it's not all about you - I love little things like the bickering in Dragon Age Origins that your party does when you run around or the party talk option in DQ11 where you can ask your party for their opinion on things. It makes them so much more real.

D

Deleted member 252753

The silent protagonist thing is really, really outdated and doesn't actually work well. I wish we would finally move on from this.

If you give me a choice in a video game, make it an actual choice or leave it out. Yeah, giving the wrong answer to see how everyone gets pissed might be fun the first three times, but always being presented a "choice" without it leading to any kind of difference, as it's often the case with JRPG questions, is pretty dumb.

JPRGs in general should put a lot of effort into the party dynamics. A game where you have a party feels much more alive if the party members have a connection to each other and if it's not all about you - I love little things like the bickering in Dragon Age Origins that your party does when you run around or the party talk option in DQ11 where you can ask your party for their opinion on things. It makes them so much more real.
I think all three of your points are great. One thing that really bugs me in games with silent protagonists is when other characters end up telling you how your own character is feeling/ what they're saying (something like: 'I can see in your eyes that...'). If the character's words/feelings drive the story then they should be expressed by the character. Having NPCs tell me what they are thinking makes me feel less connected to them, not more.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
-A pokemon with double weakness (IE a fire/flying hit by a rock move) should only take 3x damage instead of 4x=Standard damage+1st weakness+2nd weakness. 4x doesn't really make a whole of sense & utterly cripples some mons.

Perkilator

Awards
While I enjoyed WoL, I would’ve easily replaced it (BUT kept the Spirits) in favor of at least bringing in two bosses instead of Galeem and Dharkon. Two bosses I’d bring in are Queen Sectonia from Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Grima from Fire Emblem: Awakening.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
While I enjoyed WoL, I would’ve easily replaced it (BUT kept the Spirits) in favor of at least bringing in two bosses instead of Galeem and Dharkon. Two bosses I’d bring in are Queen Sectonia from Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Grima from Fire Emblem: Awakening.
If any boss should be cut, it's Galleom. But yeah, out of 10 total bosses in Ultimate, they're 50% SSB originals, 50% actual classic Nintendo bosses. & that's being generous & ignoring Giga Bowser debuting in Melee. Brawl was much the same way: 5 original bosses & 5 classics (with 2 of the classics being Ridley Variations).

Veevee

Awards
I think all three of your points are great. One thing that really bugs me in games with silent protagonists is when other characters end up telling you how your own character is feeling/ what they're saying (something like: 'I can see in your eyes that...'). If the character's words/feelings drive the story then they should be expressed by the character. Having NPCs tell me what they are thinking makes me feel less connected to them, not more.

I wholeheartedly agree. If the protagonist is silent, thus speaks with his face, make it expressive. It appears rather comical if a party member says something like that and I look at the protag's face and think that it looks just like always. "I can see the determination in your face" becomes much less epic and rather comedic when your character has his default expression. This simply doesn't work with emotional scenes - there's a scene in DQ11 where you get to meet your dead father's spirit and it's (naturally) supposed to be a very emotional scene - the expression of the father is emotion-heavy, his voice actor does a great job, sad music is playing, father is speaking very touchy words and ... your character has a blank :| kind of stare, the same kind he always does. Not a tear, no faltering, NOTHING. The whole scene becomes sort of a parody of itself by the decision to make the damn guy not only silent, but also without real expression.

Another point: Bad gameplay decisions can't be marketed as "nostalgia". Recently played a game that had a really, really shitty hit detection to the point it was laughably bad and some people actually tried to sell me that as part of the nostalgic experience. Like ... no.

welken

Awards
The new Animal Crossing is basically devoid of appeal to me, and I really liked Animal Crossing. I'm interested to hear the soundtrack, but survival mode, crafting, increased terrain customizability... these things don't mean much to me. And the ultra-washed-out pale softy smoothness visual style, which is not unlike other recent Nintendo games, doesn't do as much with HD graphics as it could. I liked the kooky crunchiness of the original, it was more of a weird community you were dropped into than your personalized estate. I didn't like being mayor in New Leaf. I'm sure I would enjoy ACNH for what it is, but from what I've seen, it's practically the opposite direction I wish the series went in.

If it were up to me, I'd want Animal Crossing to evolve more in a storytelling sense, with
-fewer villagers overall but everyone's completely unique,
-more little backstories and personal dramas for the standard npcs
-more yokai/cryptids and mysteries, like silly conspiracies you piece together
-a beautiful forest/mountain outside of town you can hike
-a shrine, temple, or church. peaceful spots.
-an old manor you can eventually fix up and move into
-inviting neighbors to move in as roommates
-odd surprise happenings on certain days and times
-being able to at least play as a dog or cat
-trading quests for rare goods
-more tree variety, just a more natural looking forest feel
-community theater weirdos who do a weekly skit and annual theater festival
-a game-within-a-game that other characters play with you, like a simplified parody of pokemon
-more evil things to do to neighbors you don't like
-bug eating lol
-I would like to move the camera, please

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards

I do agree with these first two, for sure.

I'd hate to see a purge of villagers, though. However, I definitely think that the villagers need more depth and individuality. As the series has progressed on, it feels like everything has gotten better except for the villagers. In fact, they've only gotten worse. =(

1. Final Fantasy X was NOT the last good FF. I would rather play XII, XIII, XIV or XV than play X again.
2. Couldn't get into The Witcher 3. Really tried and I liked a lot of the ideas presented but it bored me. Netflix series is good though.
3. Bethesda have pretty much never been good. Skyrim is overrated and super ugly without mods.
4. FFXV would not have been better with Nomura's original vision. That guy is a terrible writer.
5. The Evil Within is a great horror game, way better than TEW2.
6. Hideo Kojima should not be left to his own devices. He's great and has great ideas but he needs someone to reign him in, similar to George Lucas.

Perkilator

Awards
The number of characters a series has in Smash Bros. Ultimate doesn’t matter to me. I only wish each rep is at least unique enough to justify taking up a slot.

2 quid is good

Awards
The new Animal Crossing is basically devoid of appeal to me, and I really liked Animal Crossing. I'm interested to hear the soundtrack, but survival mode, crafting, increased terrain customizability... these things don't mean much to me. And the ultra-washed-out pale softy smoothness visual style, which is not unlike other recent Nintendo games, doesn't do as much with HD graphics as it could. I liked the kooky crunchiness of the original, it was more of a weird community you were dropped into than your personalized estate. I didn't like being mayor in New Leaf. I'm sure I would enjoy ACNH for what it is, but from what I've seen, it's practically the opposite direction I wish the series went in.

If it were up to me, I'd want Animal Crossing to evolve more in a storytelling sense, with
-more yokai/cryptids and mysteries, like silly conspiracies you piece together
-a beautiful forest/mountain outside of town you can hike
-a shrine, temple, or church. peaceful spots.
-an old manor you can eventually fix up and move into
-inviting neighbors to move in as roommates
-odd surprise happenings on certain days and times
-being able to at least play as a dog or cat
-trading quests for rare goods
-more tree variety, just a more natural looking forest feel
-community theater weirdos who do a weekly skit and annual theater festival
-a game-within-a-game that other characters play with you, like a simplified parody of pokemon
-more evil things to do to neighbors you don't like
-bug eating lol
-I would like to move the camera, please
Are you not basically describing harvest moon

OneDandelion

Awards
The new Animal Crossing is basically devoid of appeal to me, and I really liked Animal Crossing.
-snip-

I agree with mostly all of what you said. But to be fair, none of the sequels have ever captured the spirit of the original to be honest. Even the name of the series has been lost - Doubutsu no Mori is "Animal Forest", but the only game that felt like a forest was the original. All of the sequels take place on smaller landscapes and new horizons actually penalizes you for trying to turn your island into a forest by lowering your town rating if you have too many trees. Unfortunately, the game has been changed to more suit the needs of the popular kinds of towns that popped up when people were still playing new leaf - where people would put in tons of time to make their towns look like cities; which isn't bad on it's own but again it certainly doesn't help match the mysterious, weird, "kooky" tone of the original.

And the dialogue, which was half of the charm of the original game has probably been cutdown to about 20% and shared amongst almost all characters sharing a personality type. So yea, all of the uniqueness of a character is gone other than their appearance which is honestly quite shallow

They have definitely given the player too much power now; it comes off as an island decorating game rather than an "Animal Crossing" game in my opinion. All of the new items are cool and I like being able to put things outside but I feel like I'm drowing in DIY's and items now and getting new items doesn't feel as special.

I wish they would have focused on making the game more like the anime movie and a spiritual successor to the original. That said, I am having fun playing it but I've got a group of like 10 people that help keep me going.

Guernsey

Awards
That makes sense as I always wonder what all the fuzz was about concerning this game.

Perkilator

Awards
I dunno why the Tockles Spirit is the only free gift distributed in Smash Ultimate. I mean, yeah, it was DQXIS demo exclusive, but that still came a whopping 9 MONTHS after Ultimate‘s launch. If there were more gifts to hand out, here’s what I’d hand out:

-Free Echo Fighters: They’re made using some bit of recycled data from veterans, so making them free gifts shouldn’t be much of a problem.
-Free Stages: This can be a retuning one or a new one, but mainly a stand-alone stage separate from the Fighter’s Pass (much like free Echo Fighters).
-Free Assist Trophies: This one would be more of an extra something for each Challenger Pack, but they could still hand them out separate from the Pass.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I dunno why the Tockles Spirit is the only free gift distributed in Smash Ultimate. I mean, yeah, it was DQXIS demo exclusive, but that still came a whopping 9 MONTHS after Ultimate‘s launch. If there were more gifts to hand out, here’s what I’d hand out:

-Free Echo Fighters: They’re made using some bit of recycled data from veterans, so making them free gifts shouldn’t be much of a problem.
-Free Stages: This can be a retuning one or a new one, but mainly a stand-alone stage separate from the Fighter’s Pass (much like free Echo Fighters).
-Free Assist Trophies: This one would be more of an extra something for each Challenger Pack, but they could still hand them out separate from the Pass.
Stages is pretty valid as SSB4 had a few extra stages tacked on. Unlike fighters, there's still a number of stages that didn't return (Rainbow Road, Pac Maze, Sector Z, etc)

Clone/echo fighters were always extras when there wasn't enough time left to develop a whole new fighter (it's been said that a full-fledged newcomer is equal to about 6 clones in dev time). So it won't be until they're done with fighter pass 2 that there'll even be the chance of another echo.

2 quid is good

Awards
4 player split screen needs to be normalised again.

Players shouldn't encourage companies that ask for payment to play online.

Full backwards compatibility, or at least upto the PS2, should be a feature of the PS5, and not only that, it is necessary for companies to consistently provide the highest level of BC they can

Back