• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 246005

I liked the Devil May Cry reboot more than DMC4 as a game/story.

I rather V take over the series than Nero.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
You could've said that for all fighting games, why single out SSB?

This was what I was thinking too. Sounds like an issue they have with the genre, for some reason Smash was singled out though.

So here's one: I don't think Birth by Sleep is NEARLY as great as a lot of the fanbase seems to think. I think it had a lot of good ideas, but honestly the worlds, while finally new, just weren't that great in my opinion, and I much prefer Dream Drop's system of going through both character stories simultaneously rather than one at a time, and having to go back to level 1 every time, and mehhhhh. I don't hate Birth by Sleep, but it's a series favorite of multiples of my friends and I'm like really? It's just not as fun to me as a lot of the other titles.

Veevee

Awards
- To make games more accessible for kids, you don't have to cram them with tutorials and taking you by the hand every five steps. It's annoying and if games think they need to include this, they should at least go as far to let you choose an "expert mode" of some sort at the beginning of the game, so you can skip all that. I'm looking at you, Pokémon Sun and Moon. Your horrible, neverending streak of NPCs dragging my feet because they feel I can't go five steps on my own and other obtrusive help really ruined it for me.

- The Switch has way to few good games that are not old, overpriced ports. I recently tried to find 10 good Original Switch games that are not ports and it was quite hard. Plus, Nintendo's price policy is disgusting. Their first party games hardly drop in price, so I can only afford one game every few months.

- I prefer the 3D Dragonball fighting games over the 2D ones.

Awards
I normally go entirely against the flow in everything in life, and I've always had very unpopular opinions, but...

1. How in the world can you not like Witcher 3? It seriously changed my life. My favorite game. 100%ed it and its DLCs multiple times. It made me see Skyrim as immensely boring.
2. Assassin's Creed 3 took me so long to get through because I was very bored with it. I've played almost all of them with the exception of the first game and Rogue, and I keep going back to Rogue and putting it down almost immediately because it bores me. It's a lot like 3.
3. I bought the God of War collection on PS3 years ago when they had a buy 5 games for $10 thing. I didn't actually start playing it until like 6 months ago, then I got hooked and went to buy them all. I love them. I love the mythology and explore aspects. I've played through them all twice except the new one, because I'm not ready to do the Valkyrie Queen and Muspelheim again.

Reading through these, I agree with a lot of them. Although I can't understand how anyone actually likes Navi or Fi. LOL!

SoulXaldin

Awards
Alrighty then:

1. Persona 3 has the best music out of any Persona game

2. Final Fantasy XIII is good. I like the characters and the world it’s set in. The only sin this game commits is being linear (but for some reason, X can do it and get away with it because reasons).

3. Metal Gear Solid (PS1) is too short.

4. Metal Gear Survive isn’t that bad. If they did more to make seem it like an actual Metal Gear game and be more original, people wouldn’t be so pissed about it.

5. Master Xehanort’s new VA sucks. Sounds nothing like Nemoy and I don’t know if it’s just me, but it sounds like he can’t speak English properly at times (he pronounces some words weirdly)

6. I don’t get the beef regarding the recasting of the characters in Silent Hill 2 for the HD collection. They sound way better.

Last edited:

Veevee

Awards
Both Ni no Kuni games have a real nice atmosphere, but the story is just so-so.

The Pokémon series should try something really new for once or just stop already.

3D fighting games > 2D fighting games.

D

Deleted member 32967

Those fanboys of Resident Evil at NeoGAF and a lot of other crappy forums, are precisely why Resident Evil has been dead since 2005. Showing all this blind love for a franchise that has been changed, to the point where anybody with half a brain and an eye for talent should know that it ain't Resident Evil anymore. God forbid Capcom makes more awful remakes, and mainline entries. But, they will.

Awards
- I loved the character designs in SSB Brawl more than any other game in the series.

- FFX-2 >>>>> FFX

- KH Days is the worst game in the series and the story is terrible. Re:coded is actually pretty good.

- God of War is overrated.

- Batman: Arkham Origins has a better story than City and Knight.

- Grand Theft Auto is stupid.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
- I loved the character designs in SSB Brawl more than any other game in the series.

Bold move, but respect. I think that the designs for Marth and Ike are definitely more charming for sure.

- FFX-2 >>>>> FFX

Eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't like either tbh (don't kill me)

- KH Days is the worst game in the series and the story is terrible. Re:coded is actually pretty good.

Here's the thing: Re:Coded is a way more accessible KH game imo. The mission system in days was just plain grindy and confusing, and because of that it feels like it has no replay or grinding factors. I know that you can replay missions and in turn grind in the game, but the game itself doesn't explain this well at all and makes it very inaccessible. It's really terrible game design I feel, and the game would have been so much better if it allowed freeplay of worlds with a missions log in the menu that you could complete whenever you were ready to stop grinding/exploring and continue the plot.

Re:Coded, meanwhile, is just a barebones remake of some KH levels, which works to its advantage in this case. You go to worlds at your own pace, can do side missions in the worlds for new chips, and can go into previously discovered system sectors and grind for extra rewards with fun challenges and pretty engaging platforming at the very least. The game isn't so regimented and it follows the previous KH formula in regards to exploration so there's no need to drop everything and explain how you can actually explore past the missions.

Even Re:Chain does this better with customizable rooms in levels and the ability to just go back into Castle Oblivion and warp to the different floors. Days being so convoluted really has no excuse.

God of War is overrated.

Agreed! I know that the story itself has a good base, but the voice acting from Kratos killed the early games for me. God of War III was nearly killed for me because of the awful overacting in every aspect of it, to be honest. God of War finally gave the series life not because it gave the story some depth but because the characters actually had appropriate voice acting and whenever there was a big spectacle it was a little more underplayed, which I thanked it for.

- Grand Theft Auto is stupid.

I think the plot is stupid, but I usually play the game with cheats and just do freeplay so hey what do I know :/

Veevee

Awards
Not gonna lie, I do like my fair share of 3D fighting games but I wouldn’t consider mindless button mashing something that bears more merit than actual skill.

Funny, for me it's always the other way around. If I play 2D fighting games with friends, I feel totally overwhelmed with all the combos, some of which are so long, I can't memorize them all at once, so I basically end up mashing buttons and hope at least the other person enjoys it. With 3D fighting games, they tend to have a basic pattern that goes for every character like Triangle, Triangle, Square is always a Super Attack, so I do at least know how to do something. And they also require skill, stop kidding me.

- I prefer 3D Sonic over 2D Sonic, but I generelly like both. 3D is just more fun to me if executed well.

- Sidekicks in games are often pretty annoying and seem to serve just as a reminder machine. I like when they are treated as equals, but hate if they're lecturing you all the time, especially about things they've already lectured you about.

- I can't bring myself to finish Zelda games, except for Minish Cap. I feel like they're just boring and you're just doing one mindless task after another.

- Dark Souls is a great, but not a fun game.

- I don't get the appeal of Let's Plays. I want to play the game myself or watch a friend playing it, so I can interact in some way, I don't want to watch a stranger playing and commenting the whole thing all the time. I know not all Let's Players are like this, but I can't get into it and I don't really feel I miss something.

- The world has seen enough Dynasty Warrior-like Anime games. I'd really refreshing if they tried something else for once. I liked Attack on Titan (PS4), for example, even if it had its flaws. I'd love to see more games focus on exploration.

- Pokemon Snap was great and we really need a sequel.

- The Yugioh Spinoff games (Capsule Monsters, Dungeon Dice, Destiny Board Traveler, Duelists of the Roses and so on) were really flawy, but fun. I'd like to see more of these games or remakes of them.

kaseykockroach

Awards
-Wind Waker is the best Zelda.

-The Wii U’s better than the Wii or Switch, but that’s just a self-indulgent matter of Wii U having the most amount of games that appeal to me compared to the other two consoles.

-I find the Gamecube controller physically uncomfortable and am baffled why this is a favorite controller for so many other games. It has a better analog stick than the N64, but that’s about it.

SerDuncan

-I think Twilight Princess is the worst 3D Zelda game, I think that the HD version is almost worse than the original somehow.

-Not specifically in contrast to the two up above but, I think Days is my favorite game in the franchise, (not the best though) and I think it is mechanically better than KH1, BBS, and Re:COM

-I love COM, I think it's a gorgeous game with a great story, and I love the combat, but I absolutely hate everything about RE:COM except for the cutscenes.

-I think BBS is the worst game in the franchise. (Not including KHUX)

-I dislike nearly every Dark Souls game. I don't think they are bad games, but I can't get into the lore, the gameplay, nothing. Bloodborne included. Does that make me a bad person? D:

-I like BOTW, but it's definitely not a 10/10 game. I think it has quite a few flaws that got ignored because it was shiny and new and pretty.

-Zero Time Dilemma and Virtue's Last Reward are fun games, but are substantially worse than 999, which I find to be considerably better than many VNs I have played.

-Danganronpa v3 might have been able to top D2 as my favorite in the franchise if not for the ending, which killed my enjoyment of the game.

-I think Apollo Justice is WAY better than people give it credit for. The story can be iffy at times, and the cases have some very bad pacing and design choices, but I love some of the character arcs and prefer Hobo Nick to the Phoenix we got in later games. While I enjoy DD, and love SOJ, I think I would have preferred Apollo to stay the main character throughout the second half of the trilogy, rather than bringing Phoenix back.

-I fervently dislike Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I just don't see what people love about it. I found it a downgrade in almost every way from Xenoblade 1, and only made it halfway through the game before I just gave up due to boredom, frustration and the absolute cringe in the dialogue.

-Is this unpopular? I dunno. For most games the made the jump from sprites to 3D, and from chiptune music to orchestra, I still prefer the older games in nearly every instance. Is it nostalgia? For some, maybe, but with other games I started at a new game and then went back to an older one. Examples: Ace Attorney, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, etc.

Perkilator

Awards
What did the HD version of Twilight Princess change for the worse?
They quadrupled the amount of damage Link takes when you use the Ganondorf amiibo in Hero Mode. 0/10 THIS PORT IS WORSE THAN BUBSY 3D

In hindsight, the Bowser’s Inside Story remake wasn’t really necessary.

SerDuncan

What did the HD version of Twilight Princess change for the worse?

Personal preference, but I found that the HD textures made the polygons stick out more, and the change to the lighting engine made some scenes and locations less dynamic and more muddy. The added stuff is to each their own of course. It's additional content, so there's no need to complain unless it actively takes away from the game. I guess I feel like they could have done more? They charged full price for it, but I feel like it wasn't a remaster on the same level of Wind Waker, which had some really great additions, changes, and overall better graphics.

drew0512

Awards
- FFX-2 is definitely not a bad FF game and far from being the worst in the series. It has one of the best combat system in the series, the music is nice and it does a good job at showing the "real" Spira. The different tone from FFX is not a flaw and Yuna didn't suddenly change, she was just living without feeling like a walking sacrifice for the first time.

- I don't get the appeal of speedruns and I don't get why speedrunners are so highly regarded to the point that every word they say seems to be automatically the truth.

- The Last of Us is overrated. It was good, I liked the relationship between Joel and Ellie and I loved the finale, but that's about it. I just played it once without ever touching it again and as a whole, the game is just one big, fat stereotype.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
- I don't get the appeal of speedruns and I don't get why speedrunners are so highly regarded to the point that every word they say seems to be automatically the truth.

Fair enough. The best ones to watch are older games like Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time. I think these are the most impressive to watch. Some of the "glitches" they preform require a lot of precision. They're normally hosted on Twitch from time to time. I guess it's just cool to see how exploitable they are.

xXFALORXx

Awards
- Dualshock>XBOX controller
- Wii U could have been a good console
- Shooters are always the same
- FFXV is a good game
- BBS>KH2 (mostly because óf story)
- the KH3 Xehanort bossfights sucked
- Undertale/Megalovania/Sans jokes are still funny

Back