• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Simply put, what gaming opinions do you have that you feel the vast majority of gamers do not share? Do you have any opinions that go against the industry's trends? There's no need to flame or argue with someone based on the opinions they already find unpopular.

For me:
1. While the scale is impressive, the Witcher 3 is boring and not really enjoyable in any sense of the word.
2. Overwatch is fun, but did not deserve a majority of the GOTY awards and is outclassed by loads of other shooters this gen.
3. Uncharted 3 is better than Uncharted 2.
4. Assassin's Creed 3 wasn't that bad.
5. I don't like any Fallout game. They aren't fun.
6. ICO is not a great game.
7. Despite its issues, the first Watch Dogs was a great game early in this gen's lifespan.
8. Until Infinite Warfare, Call of Duty demonstrated some of the best moment to moment gameplay of any game in existence. It was the best shooter on the market until 2016.
9. Call of Duty is vastly different every year, even back when it was set in the historical war era.
10. Pokemon Platinum is my favorite Pokemon game.
11. I have never enjoyed a Battlefield game because I don't like the map design.
12. Games should only be announced 6-8 months before the initial planned release whenever possible.
13. It's rare to find a game that truly innovates. With the exception of visuals and performance, there are no games this gen that had a concept that couldn't work on last gen.
14. We don't need backwards compatibility from last generation's consoles.
15. Telltale needs to stop making games until they can fix/redo their engine.
16. The God of War games genuinely weren't intriguing outside of their scale until now.

These are just some of my gaming opinions. What are yours?

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
  1. I can't play violent video games. They make me feel sick. Seriously.
  2. I generally don't care about story in video games.
  3. PC gaming is a pain in the butt. All I want to do is play The Sims 3, but even that cost me over $1000 to get a PC that could play the game properly.
  4. NES games do not hold up, and games trying to imitate the gameplay/graphics/music from that era are overrated.
  5. I think the console wars are stupid (definitely including PC here). Everyone should just play what they like and shut up.
  6. Amiibos are cheaply made (they definitely look so) and are just another method to make people pay extra no different from DLC.
  7. Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Sun/Moon are the most disappointing titles in the series.
  8. The recent generations of Pokemon have plenty of great Pokemon designs, while Generation I has plenty of questionable ones.
  9. Super Mario Galaxy was disappointing compared to Super Mario 64/Sunshine.
  10. Splatoon is probably an okay game, but those character designs are just too ugly for me to get past.
  11. I've never found the appeal in the Metroid series.
  12. Twilight Princess was the best Zelda game released in between Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild.
  13. I'd rather a game be easy than frustrating. I play games to relax.
  14. I believe diversity is good.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
1. I think BBS should've been titled KH Zero & released on the Wii.

2. Pokemon Gen 4 was more a glorified balance patch than a proper standalone gen. Too many evos to existing mons than wholly new monsters for it's own good.

3. I liked Brawl more than Melee. Tripping & weak online were Brawl's only shortcomings IMO.

4. I don't see a purpose to a Super Mario RPG 2. PM & M&L both surpassed the original & I wouldn't trust modern Square with it.

5. On that note, Geno is overrated. His only purpose is to deliver a bit of exposition that could've just as well been given by Frogfucius or some other sage character instead. Mallow had an actual character arc but nobody ever seems to talk about him.

6. SatAM/Archie characters should get to appear in Sonic games. Freaking Sticks is in an Olympics game & yet we don't get Sally?

7. I still want a Playstation All Stars 2. & maybe Microsoft's own take on a SSB clone.

8. Daisy>Peach.

9. KH1 is still pretty playable.

10. Injustice is my favorite "traditional" (IE not SSB or Dissidia) fighter. & I think the Wii U version was the best version.

11. Advance Wars>Fire Emblem

12. Majora's Mask gets way too much love on the internet. Any Zelda game that doesn't let me save freely when I want is auto-disqualified from being the best entry.

Muke

whatever
Awards
1. SM Galaxy sucked in comparison to, say, Sunshine
2. I don't like Life is Strange. At all
3. SM 3D World was quite a lot of fun if you played it just for the heck of it with some friends
4. While I do enjoy them, most of the Nintendo games simply cannot keep up with PlayStation games (1st party)
5. The ending for The Last of Us was great
6. The Winter Chapter is by far the one I enjoyed the most in TLOU
7. It's wrong that Breath of the Wild gets this much hype and such high scores just because this is a first for Nintendo
8. The Witcher 3 was pretty boring

Recon

Art of War
Awards
1. Limbo is trash. Not sure why it gets praise.
2. The Order 1866 bores me to death.
3. Pokemon R/B/Y will forever always be the best of what the games have to offer.
4. Destiny just looks so generic and uninspired.
5. GTA is just stupid nonsense.
6. PC gaming is for the weirdos.
7. Wario Land series > Mario Land series
8. People who say "A game being delayed makes it better" should just jump out of a plane without a parachute.
9. Half Life series isn't great as everyone thinks it is.
10. Minecraft is not a "legos video game"

faemarch

Ansem's Apprentice
Awards
Guess I'll share some of mine, too.

1. I honestly don't care about FFVIIR, neither did I like FFVII very much in the first place. Though part of that may come from scrolling through numerous FFVII-diehard comments.

2. I loved Pokemon's Gen 4 (my first game was Pearl, though I spent way more time on Platinum with almost 400 hours logged into it), but I'm glad we got more Sun/Moon things instead. The Switch, I feel, can wait.

3. FE14 > FE15, though I have to admit that FE15 has more solid writing and Palla. FE15 is just a slog to get through compared to FE14, I feel like most of the difficulty comes from enemies just swarming you rather than map design (which is also sub-par in FE15 imo). Swamp and desert maps are also an absolute pain to get through for any unit who isn't a flier--so most units--and I'm not sure who thought it would be a good idea to combine a swamp map with a cantor. I also prefer FE14's soundtrack over FE15's.

4. I'm not a fan of PC gaming (the only exception being PC Chi, if that even counts). Also gotta admit that I wish I didn't see so much Overwatch everywhere.

5. Never got into LoZ: Breath of the Wild or The Last of Us.

6. I don't mind waiting for KH3. About KH, I also didn't like that concert skit about Kairi and Lea--I feel like Lea needs to actually earn Kairi's forgiveness rather than Kairi just going "I can't bring myself to hate him". I also wouldn't call Axel's relationship with Roxas and Xion in Days touching, it just seemed to me plain manipulative.

Last edited:

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
Hmm.

- I don't care about FPS games. At all. Not a single one of them.
- I didn't like The Last of Us much. It was okay, but I just don't understand the hype at all.
- I like KH1 platforming. It's fun and even though I remember struggling with it as a kid I don't have any problems with it anymore. 0.2 felt worse to me tbh. Harder to control and just annoying.
- Pokemon BW is by faaaaar the best gen in my opinion. In every single way, from the pokemon designs to music and story.
- EoSD is still the best Touhou game.
- Birthright > Conquest
- I don't like almost any of the Mario games. The characters are annoying and the gameplay just meh. Galaxy was good tho.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
- DmC Devil may Cry was a pretty fun game
- The Last of Us is an amazing game but the gameplay suffers a lot from bad AI and forced encounters
- The TLOZ series is okay, but hardly ever deserves the crazy hype it gets
- KH 1 is an amazing game for its time even though it feels a little old as of now
- Resident Evil 5 and 6 were okay games

Ueki_168

1. I loved TLoZ Skyward Sword. I liked Fi. And I'd play it again.

2. I don't get why there must be "online mode" in everything. For me it is a waste of time for some games. And it doesn't add anything if you don't have anyone interested in the game around you.

3. Mobile games and it's model shouldn't exist. I play KHUx because it has the KH brand. I hate and despise how it is damaging the world's point of view around how games should be and what people wants.

4. I haven't finished The Last of Us, but it feels boring. I find the design of the levels to be too dated. I agree in that it is linear gaming brought to the extreme quality. I looked for a thrilling and unique experience, but it's just "one more".

5. KH3D on the 3DS = bad. But KH3D on PS4 = actually a good game if you don't use the broken flowmotion explosion attack and balloon (It's not too hard if you find fun commands to use, sonic blade is really fun for example).

6. I enjoy trophies in games, give me the satisfaction of completing everything there is. BUT don't make me grind for infinite enemies on each stage, or go to stage one million in this minigame or finish the game 5 times, each time with a more ridiculous condition...

7. Physical copies > digital games.

Precursor Mar

Wow, you're right. Those are some pretty bad opinions. (I'm teasing)

-The Last of Us is mediocre at best. The story gets in the way of the gameplay, which itself is pretty shallow and derivative.
-Naughty Dog has been going downhill since Jak 2.
-Dragon's Dogma is a better RPG than The Glitcher 3.
-Crash Twinsanity is an unfinished mess and the only reason people like it is because it's funny.
-The Boost gameplay in Sonic Unleashed/Colors/Generations controls like complete ass, and is inferior to Adventure 2's controls.
-People love fellating Japan as saviors of the gaming industry, but they're just as responsible for it's stagnation as the west is.
-I don't care about FF7 and nothing I've heard about the Remake gives me the impression that it's going to be good.
-The Ratchet and Clank 2016 remake is a disgrace to the game it's based on and embodies everything wrong with the series today.
-Night in the Woods is the most pretentious cringefest I've ever experienced in my life.

ReverofEnola

Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
1. KH1 is the BEST KH game to date. Best simple and clean story and I prefer the overall gameplay of it to other KH games.

2. That being said 358/2 Days is a terrible game is the Worst from the series.

3. Sonic Unleashed > Sonic Colors. Also I still enjoy Sonic Adventure 2 to this day.

4. Sonic 1 and 2 App versions > S3&K

5. I also can't stand FPS games.

6. Yeah Last of Us doesn't deserve the hype.

7. In fact I'm not even excited for the new God of War BECAUSE it looks like a clone of the Last of US.

8. I still thoroughly enjoy my Wii U mainly because of all the modding I've done with it.

9. Final Fantasy 9/Tactics > Final Fantasy 6.

10. Final Fantasy XIII-2 > Final Fantasy XIII

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
1. Final Fantasy 6 doesn't live up to the hype and praise it's given today. I still like 7-10 better than it.

2. I really couldn't give a care about Overwatch even though I never really gave it a chance. Maybe because:
3. I just don't even think FPS online games are very fun in general. I've had some fun with Payday 2, that's about it.

4. PS2 is the best console we've seen yet game-library-wise if we don't count re-releases on other consoles.

5. 90% of the time dubs of JRPGs aren't nearly as atrocious as people make them out to be.

6. Radiata Stories is the best Square-Enix game.

7. Telltale needs to quit making new games until they finish all of their games that have been left on cliffhangers (Monkey Island, Wolf Among Us, Back to the Future, etc.)

8. Mario really isn't that great. I liked Mario 64 and Sunshine and that was about it.

9. I liked Playstation All-Stars and would love a sequel or more DLC.

10. Any Nintendo console after the Wii I just have 0 interest in and will likely just stick to the handhelds from now on.

Bonus Unpopular Opinion in General: I'm not a fan of The Beatles.

Last edited:

Veevee

Awards
This thread is pretty interesting, may I revive it?

1. Telltale Games all follow the same formula, are predictable and unsatisfying. They should either give Season 1 a proper finish in itself or be sure to be able to make a second, this way it suuucks.

2. Final Fantasy X is boring as hell, I never managed to get through it. In general, the gameplay of most Final Fantasy games is lackluster and does not live up to its name.

3. Life is strange had its moments and wonderful music, but most of the game has awful gameplay which consists of being bossed around, walking, get in unnecessary danger, make unimportant decision and did I mention walking and getting bossed around by your supposedly best friend?

4. Even though I love JRPGs, the character design in many JRPGs is horrible. Women hardly wear decent clothes and any pet-like creatures look like the designer was on crack.

5. Every Pokemon game after Ruby / Sapphire kinda sucked, mainly because of the ugly Pokemon (a blender and a candle, seriously?)

6. DMC was a better title than the previous entries and deserves a sequel.

7. It's not "all about the graphics", but I consider Playstation games superior in every aspect over Nintendo games.

8. The 3Ds is a shitty handheld, as was the PSP. The vita is great.

9. Anime games that simply imitate the story of the anime are nice to play, but definitely not great.

10. We don't need any more dynasty warrior spinoffs of franchises. In general, we need less spinoff-prequel-sequel-sidestories, just focus on the main games.

11. FF15 didn't live up to its promise anywhere.

12. Games that feature violence, torture, rape or whatever might be realistic, but they make me sick and no one should have fun playing something like that. No one.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
5. Every Pokemon game after Ruby / Sapphire kinda sucked, mainly because of the ugly Pokemon (a blender and a candle, seriously?)

Sorry, I know you're entitled to your opinion, but these kinds of complaints about Pokemon just don't jive well with me. This can be an unpopular opinion of mine:

Why is it okay for Pokeballs, rocks, and Nosepass (from R/S/E) to be Pokemon, but all of the sudden a line is drawn from there?

I will take the adorable candle Pokemon, Litwik, from Generation V over the Pichu clones Plusle and Minun from Generation III any day.

BTW, I don't understand what you're referring to by a blender Pokemon? Are you referring to Rotom? I don't think there is a blender Rotom, but I could be wrong. Nevertheless, it does take the shape of appliances. That's not because "lol uncreative object Pokemon" (which I don't agree with that concept to begin with) it's because it is a ghost that possesses objects.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
- AC Revelations was better than AC Brotherhood. Brotherhood fanboys would eat me alive if they hear me saying this in my city lol

- FFXV's story is good as it is, I don't feel the need for more Luna cutscenes (even though I love her so much), nor other main story cutscenes.

- My biggest turn-off about Life is Strange is all the teenage drama and teen rebel stuff. I want to play the game but I fear this thematic would make me sick of it.

- why yes I'm very happy with my consoles, thank you PC Master Race...

- I love all generations in the pokemon games. And I absolutely love my Chandelure in my Pokemon Black 2 team. One can love all pokemons. Gen1&2 aren't necessarily the best.

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
@Zapt lmao your brilliant use of that meme/article title?/article meme! made me remember how widely-used it is in the Mystic Messenger fandom (and even in the canon story lol). So here's an unpopular opinion about Mystic Messenger anyway: I despise Zen no matter how many good qualities the plot throws into that narcissictic white-haired guy that every MM fangirl drools over + I don't like his voice. Also, Jaehee's hell of a workplace is a thing that's extremely exaggerated in the game and makes me feel no pity for her at all

Veevee

Awards
Sorry, I know you're entitled to your opinion, but these kinds of complaints about Pokemon just don't jive well with me. This can be an unpopular opinion of mine:

Why is it okay for Pokeballs, rocks, and Nosepass (from R/S/E) to be Pokemon, but all of the sudden a line is drawn from there?

I will take the adorable candle Pokemon, Litwik, from Generation V over the Pichu clones Plusle and Minun from Generation III any day.

BTW, I don't understand what you're referring to by a blender Pokemon? Are you referring to Rotom? I don't think there is a blender Rotom, but I could be wrong. Nevertheless, it does take the shape of appliances. That's not because "lol uncreative object Pokemon" (which I don't agree with that concept to begin with) it's because it is a ghost that possesses objects.

Well, I pretty much "disliked" every change they made after that, at least I think it was better before. I already had trouble getting all Pokemon in R/S, with the hundreds of Pokemon there are out now there's no way I will ever get all of these. I personally think that the real goal of Pokemon is not becoming a Pokemon Master and beating the league (because it is fairly easy in most games), but to get all the Pokemon. I know there's Pokemon bank and such now, but it would still take ages for me to get them all. I don't like the new designs, all big eyes and fluffy, the music is okay. Pokemon Sun / Moon had so much tutorial that I wanted to throw my 3Ds out of the window. "Oh, you can't go this way because it is obviously blocked and you have already looked the other way so there's only one possible way you could go now, but please let me take your hand and guide for these five steps to the lab." Uuuugh.
I never said it would be okay for nosepass to be a Pokemon, but to that generation we had more ... animal-like Pokemon which I prefer by a lot personally. It's not like I totally hate the "new" Pokemon games, I played them, but I dropped them someday ... maybe I'm in general not into Pokemon anymore, I enjoyed Oras for a while but got bored sooner than I expected even though it's my favorite gen worldmap-wise.

Yeah, I meant Rotom. I totally forgot it was a ghost. Sorry ^^"

More unpopular opinions:

- I don't think you can really compare games of different genres. You can compare JRPGs, but I get so mad at people who compare Call of Duty (or the like) to Pokemon or Final Fantasy or whatever. When my friend lately compared Zelda to Kingdom Hearts, it made me cringe even though this is waaay closer than the previous example.

- There's only one Zelda game I actually like and that one is Minish Cap, the only one that wasn't developed by Nintendo. I see a pattern. Despite that, I don't think the Zelda games are bad, but I find them boring.

- Monster Hunter should've stayed on Sony's consoles.

- Ni no kuni was a fun game, but its plot was waay overrated.

- Stardew Valley is everything Harvest Moon should've become.

- Dark Cloud is somehow likeable, but I can't understand how people can praise the literally non-existent plot. I wouldn't need more than three sentences to summarize it.

- The first Digimon World was really sweet, but gameplay-wise horrible.

- I wish Ubisoft would've continued making Prince of Persia games instead of Assassins Creed.

Back