• We have brought back Future of KINGDOM HEARTS as our main Kingdom Hearts section. Discuss any projects including Phase 2 developments, the rumored Disney Plus series, all TWEWY-related news, theories about the future of Kingdom Hearts, and any general topics in this section. For anything related to Kingdom Hearts Memory of Melody, please discuss it in the KINGDOM HEARTS Memory of Melody section.
  • Although unrelated to Kingdom Hearts, we are aware that there might be fans of The Last of Us on our forums. We ask that you please keep all spoilers for The Last of Us 2 spoiler-tagged. Any untagged spoilers will result in a temporary ban from the site.

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Veevee

Awards
  • Red Travels the Farthest
  • Luna Diviner
  • Flurry of Dancing Flames
  • Savage Nymph
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Unicornis Union
- Reviewers should stop obsessing over whether a game is a lot like a similar game. I've once read a review of Yonder where the reviewer was basically comparing everything that indie game did to Zelda: Breath of the Wild and basically thrashed it in that process because it was inferior. Digimon games are frequently compared to Pokémon games but in such a bad way .. like "Digimon has less monsters, Pokémon has more, Pokémon is better". I think it's useful to say "it's similar to game x" to make it more clear how it works - when I describe grid-based battle systems, I also usually say "like in Fire Emblem", but don't take it too far and dismiss the game because it's not that other game you liked. For starters, not every critter-collecting game is a "Pokémon clone", it infuriates me so much to read statements like this. It should be about whether the game is good on its own regard.

- Gendered clothes shouldn't exist anymore in videogames. I get it that you would limit it to classes or characters - that nimble thief doesn't look like he could or should wear giant armor - but don't block my access to clothes I could wear. Fantasy Life for example gives you the idea of being everything you want and you can change your job whenever and become a master of all trades - but you can't wear pants as a female character, no, that goes too far. Petty things like that where you apply a real-world restrictions from society to a fantasy freedom world severely hurt my immersion because I really don't want to go adventuring in a miniskirt. Also, in some games women's clothes can be so lame, e.g. in KH Ux, I'd take Riku's cool leather jacket over Kairi's weird asymmetrical pink dress anytime. Just give me that.

- The reasons people bring up to defend Nintendo's price policy are way more ridiculous than the price policy itself.

Guernsey

Awards
I really wish that they didn't have to hide stuff behind a paywall. I don't buy micro transactions anyway but I still hate how in some games you have to buy some coins to unlock a certain thing.

Ballad of Caius

Stardust 💫
Awards
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
- The reasons people bring up to defend Nintendo's price policy are way more ridiculous than the price policy itself.
If you're referring to how their games take years to go down on prices, then it's just an argument of sales volume.

If you're referring to ports being more expensive on the Switch, then I can sorta understand that, even though as a Marketing professional I can tell you that "value" as a proposition is an aspect brands put on their prices. In the Switch's case: the value proposition is that of portability of home console games. So the "Nintendo Tax" is pretty much that.

Veevee

Awards
  • Red Travels the Farthest
  • Luna Diviner
  • Flurry of Dancing Flames
  • Savage Nymph
  • The Gambler of Fate
  • Unicornis Union
If you're referring to how their games take years to go down on prices, then it's just an argument of sales volume.

If you're referring to ports being more expensive on the Switch, then I can sorta understand that, even though as a Marketing professional I can tell you that "value" as a proposition is an aspect brands put on their prices. In the Switch's case: the value proposition is that of portability of home console games. So the "Nintendo Tax" is pretty much that.
I'm more talking about that people often claim that "Switch games are just that good and should just cost that much" which kinda implies that Playstation games are just not "that good" so they need to drop in price to hold their value which is just ... wrong. There are so many games on Playstation that are as fantastic or better than Switch games and claiming the price tag of a game determines how good that game is feels just dumb. I've played great games for 5 bucks and boring ones for 40 .. yeah, I mean I partly agree with Nintendo's policy on a business standpoint. If people pay that much for the game - constantly - why should they lower the price? It's reasonable. I just don't think it's reasonable that Nintendo fans often talk about being "so happy" to pay that much, I recently read some people even complaining about how you get too many games for free (on Steam, Playstation or Epic) .. if it devalues them for those people, they should just ... not get them then? It's that weird mentality of "oh, you gave me that for free, it must be shit" - well, no, it must be advertisment.

By the way, it's really interesting to hear your standpoint from a professional perspective. I've had one Marketing class in university and read two books about general Marketing, so I really admire how deep that field actually goes. Very cool.

Ballad of Caius

Stardust 💫
Awards
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • You've Got A Friend In Me
  • In the Grid
  • Bravely Default
  • Kingdom Hearts Unchained χ
I'm more talking about that people often claim that "Switch games are just that good and should just cost that much" which kinda implies that Playstation games are just not "that good" so they need to drop in price to hold their value which is just ... wrong. There are so many games on Playstation that are as fantastic or better than Switch games and claiming the price tag of a game determines how good that game is feels just dumb. I've played great games for 5 bucks and boring ones for 40 .. yeah, I mean I partly agree with Nintendo's policy on a business standpoint. If people pay that much for the game - constantly - why should they lower the price? It's reasonable. I just don't think it's reasonable that Nintendo fans often talk about being "so happy" to pay that much, I recently read some people even complaining about how you get too many games for free (on Steam, Playstation or Epic) .. if it devalues them for those people, they should just ... not get them then? It's that weird mentality of "oh, you gave me that for free, it must be shit" - well, no, it must be advertisment.

By the way, it's really interesting to hear your standpoint from a professional perspective. I've had one Marketing class in university and read two books about general Marketing, so I really admire how deep that field actually goes. Very cool.
You also have to take into consideration a more operational approach: people work to make these games. Programmers, managers and composers. Whatever allocation music has in a KINGDOM HEARTS copy's price, Yoko Shimomura is well worth that percentage, and more and her team.

Haha, you're welcome. As I've grown into my field, I try to share a professional aspect from Marketing and Digital Marketing. And yes, Marketing is deeper than what people think. I like to call Marketing "Capitalism's operational arm".

Blackrazor187

Awards
Website
www.rogueotakugamer.com
  • Flix and Chill
  • Nose Stuck in a Book
  • Put That Thing Back Where It Came From
  • Mog Boss
  • Final Fantasy III
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5+2.5 ReMIX
-5 Centermeters Per Second's story is really not that good and its more of a really good art gallery than it is a good film.
-A Silent Voice is just a generic slice of life romance story and Ueno is a total bitch
-The Final Fantasy 7 Remake is actually really good and its not really just Nomura's fault for how certain aspects of the story was just really stupid you also have to look at Nojima and Kitanse's involvement as well.
-I couldn't care less at all about the military fps genre or any shooters to be frank. Elemental Gearbolt is the only one that i really like.
-Square Enix was at its peak in the 90s but as time went by with the mainstreamification of games and focus on mobile stuff and milking certain titles as much as possible they went downhill from here.
-ATLUS in the 2000s and 90s was their peak but nowadays its all about p3-p5 and nothing else at all.
-Confidant missions in Persona are total trash.
-Kyoko Kirigiri should have been the playable mc not Makoto in Danganronpa and Byaka is nothing but insufferable.
-Fujoshis and normies should be gatekeeped at all times and casuals should be transitioned into the hardcore stage as soon as possible.
-Japanese games,anime and manga are the only entertainment that i really like everything else is just waste.