• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Unpopular Anime Opinions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Veevee

Awards
-I actually shipped Matt/Sora well before it became canon & yet grew to hate the ship afterwards because of how badly they bungled it. It was simply 1 of the laziest/ most half-assed examples of a canon pairing I've seen. Honestly, for much of Digimon season 2 my biggest issue was the disappointment in how little we see of the older kids & what going on in their lives so by the time the Christmas episode rolls around & Sora rejects Tai for Matt, my reaction was more along the lines of "What the heck have I been missing?"

But yeah, it was way worse than that in hindsight. Matt & Sora got together with little fanfare & about as much build-up. Season 2 for the remainder of it's run couldn't be bothered to do much of anything to justify the new relationship, showing the 2 together or proving why they're meant to be. The show straight up didn't care, it decreed a pairing as canon, demanded the audience get over it, & moved on to other topics.

Tri didn't help matters one bit & if anything exasperated the issue. It's clear that the Tri staff didn't want to touch the subject with a 10 foot pole if they could avoid it. But the lack of attention given to Matt/Sora just makes the alleged endgame all the more bewildering & impossible for the audience to get behind.

& hey yeah, what was up with Tai's rejection anyway? Like what was even the point of that? They could've just had Tai not be interested in Sora at all & save themselves a lot of grief. It seriously undermined Matt/Sora by making the viewers feel sorry for Tai getting friendzoned & thus finding themselves preferring that ship instead.

The strangest thing about it was that Tri kinda reintroduced the whole triangle thingy without having any reason to do so. 02 shows the Christmas episode (which was not too well executed, but pretty clear in its message) and shows them being a couple at the end. Tri kinda starts with an angry awkwardness between Tai and Matt which is never explained and vanishes as quickly as every other random stuff Tri introduced, but still manages to overstay its welcome. It's made even worse when they kind of throw Sora between those two later and it's just painfully awkward to watch and I never really understood the reason to introduce all of this when they later just randomly throw Meiko in Tai's face at movie 5 - a girl he has hardly talked to (which is understandable because basically every interaction with her ends with her whining and needing to be consoled). The whole triangle thing was really unnecessary and pointless. I kind of accepted the Matt / Sora thing in the end but Tai was so much nicer to her, I couldn't really get her decision, but oh well.
And if it didn't shine through enough: Tri was awful and should never have existed.

I like the franchise, but .hack//sign was almost unbearable. Painfully slow pacing, annoying characters and the good parts about THE WORLD itself were too vague to be enjoyable. It bored the hell out of me.

If it's not Slice of Life, I really dislike ongoing anime / manga series that don't have some kind of common thread. Those separation in arcs which have nothing to do with each other mostly just doesn't cut it.

Rave Master is infinitely better than Fairy Tail and deserves a much better anime than the mess it got.

Awards
- The re-dub of Cardcaptor Sakura is atrocious. I understand that it’s an English version without any edited content and matched the story of the original Japanese version, but it’s the worst dub I’ve ever heard in the history of Anime.
It’s like they had a cast of 4 people that they got off the street with no VA experience and gave all of them 10 different characters to play and told them to all sound exactly the same.
They should do another re-dub with the Clear Card cast.

- The original Sailor Moon anime is iconic, but after the introduction of Chibiusa, the adapted storylines for S and SuperS just sucked. It was really irritating they made her have to be “the chosen one” all the time. SHE had the pure heart crystal that Mistress 9 needed to awaken and SHE had the golden dream mirror that contained Pegasus. It was just annoying that both storylines revolved around saving her when that wasn’t the case at all in the manga.
It was nice to see her not have such a major part in Sailor Stars, but that storyline was horrible for other reasons I won’t get into lol.

- The Cell saga was boring af. Buu saga is better.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I want the option to skip anime opening & ending theme songs. It’s the one thing that puts me off from watching new anime these days because I lack the patience to get through that portion first. I’m here to watch the show. Not some cheesy song. The only exception to this was Yuri On Ice.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure is stupid like really stupid. I don’t get the appel and the memes.

SerDuncan

I want the option to skip anime opening & ending theme songs. It’s the one thing that puts me off from watching new anime these days because I lack the patience to get through that portion first. I’m here to watch the show. Not some cheesy song. The only exception to this was Yuri On Ice.

Awww man, that's too bad. I love openings and endings... when I was in college, my roommate and I would sometimes just go to Youtube and watch our favorite ones over and over again. We loved doing those "guess the op" challenges too. Honestly, for some anime, I love the OP more than the actual show, although a lot of my favorites are because I love how there's foreshadowing, or the way the music meshes with the visuals and stuff like that.

I totally get it though, my brother tends to skip the openings after the first or second watch, and I have a friend who skips them entirely because (especially with Naruto) they can spoil big portions of the narrative, or who fights who or whatever.

LostArtist

Awards
Awww man, that's too bad. I love openings and endings... when I was in college, my roommate and I would sometimes just go to Youtube and watch our favorite ones over and over again. We loved doing those "guess the op" challenges too. Honestly, for some anime, I love the OP more than the actual show, although a lot of my favorites are because I love how there's foreshadowing, or the way the music meshes with the visuals and stuff like that.

I totally get it though, my brother tends to skip the openings after the first or second watch, and I have a friend who skips them entirely because (especially with Naruto) they can spoil big portions of the narrative, or who fights who or whatever.

I like them too. Also openings and endings play such a big role in my nostalgia. Part of the reason I continue not to skip them lmao.

SoulXaldin

Awards

Wuuuuuut? Boy, are you saying OP’s like Bleach’s first opening, Naruto’s OP and Black Clover OP aren’t good?! Those songs are litty!

SerDuncan

Wuuuuuut? Boy, are you saying OP’s like Bleach’s first opening, Naruto’s OP and Black Clover OP aren’t good?! Those songs are litty!

Nah, nah, I love those! But I know people who would rather just never watch em, and I can get where some people might get tired of 'em too. Me though? I watch em every single time. ESPECIALLY when it comes to Shonen. Some of the One Piece, Naruto, Fairy Tail and Black Clover openings get me hyped any time I hear em

Veevee

Awards
The Seven Deadly Sins is painful to watch because Meliodas drags it down. He has so little personality - if you even want to count "creepy pervert" ("it's no fun when they consent") and is just so ridiculously overpowered that it's not fun to read / watch. Paired with a plain good doormat like Elizabeth, it's unbearable which is a little disappointing because I liked other characters of the show.

One Punch Man is really boring. I mean I get the idea and it was fun in the beginning, but I read 17 volumes of the thing and it's just always the same, has a ton of underdeveloped characters and doesn't really go anywhere. While it was a simple parody in the beginning, it later did everything it made fun of, but in a just non-funny way ... nearly all the time it goes like this:
Villain shows up, other heroes fail, stall time until Saitama arrives who ends this with one punch. Yeah, this goes well as a joke once or twice, but there's no real incentive to stay.

Dubs >>> Subs when they are good.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
Death Note is the most overrated anime
Boruto isnt terrible
Fairy Tale is Meh (tho i honestly haven't watch much of it)
My Hero Academia feels like a mash up of Anime i have already seen
Only the first 2 seasons of HunterxHunter were good

Veevee

Awards
People who constantly complain about characters being "whiny" or "useless" really annoy me, because I don't understand the rationale. I find it highly alienating when a character experiences death and doom all around and doesn't flinch, I prefer a character who actually reacts to what happens in a more extended way than basically saying "oh, well, that didn't go as planned, I'm sad for a day or two, but one has to move on". There's no point in a death if it doesn't actually impact the involved parties, death shouldn't be a simple tearjerker experience. And can't you just enjoy a character without pondering about how useful they are on a scale of 1-10? I wouldn't even say the main character is always the most useful, since they only solve problems they basically created themselves in a lot of cases. How damn useful.

#rant_end

Back