• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Unpopular Anime Opinions!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Inspired by the Unpopular Opinions thread in the Kingdom Hearts General section. So, got an unpopular opinion on any anime (or any cartoon)?

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
I think Clannad gets an unfair rep compared to After Story. The original Clannad was pretty damn sad as well.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I think Sesshomaru in Inuyasha deserved more, and that I am happy he never died. <3

Lunarmaster54

Her Trouble-making Paladin
Awards
I'm just full of these:

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
What Homura did at the end of Rebellion was wrong.

Naruto
Hinata Hyuga is a waste of potential and a terrible ninja/character
Naruhina is a terrible pairing
Obito was not "the coolest"
Madara was a Marty-sue
Sasuke is not emo

Bleach
Ichigo and Rukia have always had a strictly platonic relationship

Re:Zero
Emilia and Rem are equally good characters and Subaru has every right to prefer Emilia more if that's what he wants to do

Sword Art Online
This series isn't the worst anime ever
The Fairy Dance arc isn't that bad

Death Note
Light and L aren't gay. In fact, Light loves his notebook.
Misa isn't completely stupid

Steven Universe
Jasper should not be redeemed

Last edited:

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Emilia and Rem are equally good characters and Subaru has every right to prefer Emilia more if that's what he wants to do

The only reason Rem is best girl is because Rem is only girl. No really, she's the only one who's gotten any kind of growth, development, or even a real backstory--along with Ram, to an extent.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The english dub for Cardcaptor Sakura wasn't that bad upon rewatch. Certainly not as terrible as 4kids dub of One Piece

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Couple more:

I like Nagisa Furukawa from Clannad. I never defined her as useless or anything. She was cute and very supportive.

I loved AnoHana, but I've felt it could've been longer.

Nana is one of the most heartbreaking anime I've ever seen.

I'm not a big fan of My Neighbor Totoro. Totoro was absolutely adorable, but I think, along with the main two girls, that they were the only great things about the film.

Howl's Moving Castle wasn't as great as I remembered it from my younger years.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
The original season of Pokémon is so outrageously different from the rest of the series that it doesn't feel like it's from the same canon.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
I didn't think Attack on Titan was that great. I liked it, but grew bored halfway through it.

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards

Well, it's undeniable that Rem got a lot more development in the anime than Emilia, so I can see why most people prefer her. I do, however, agree that choosing Emilia doesn't make Subaru horrible or anything. Just because someone loves you and does a lot for doesn't mean you need to love them too. No one is entitled to anyone's love.

Also hmm let's see.

The best anime of 2016 was Rakugo
AnoNatsu is better than AnoHana
FMA:B and HxH 2011 are better than the originals
Akira is overrated (in terms of everything but animation, it's definitely gorgeous)
Evangelion Rebuild movies are good
HxH is by far the best shounen, the big 3 don't even compare
Hanekawa is the best Monogatari girl and she looks better with short hair
PMMM Rebellion was a good movie
Oyasumi Punpun is the best manga ever made
Oofuri is the best sport anime/manga

That's all I can think of for now.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
Gintama is really not all of that great.

Naruto isn't quite as bad as the massive hatedom makes it out to be. I've watched/read a fair number of Shonen, and Naruto, at least, has feeling/emotion to it. Sure, it's still overtly cliche in many ways and is also ridiculous. I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, or even anywhere near the best of its genre, but this series isn't worth the unbridled hate it gets.

As far as Shonen goes, the ones I've watched/read that have been the most bland and lacked any real care from me have been Fairy Tail (initially I found it enjoyable, later on... Not so much) and The Seven Deadly Sins. These are just cliche after cliche, and they feel forced. SDS is even worse for me for other reasons. My Hero Academia also seemed rather bland by the time the first season ended, but it's unfair to judge it completely from that, I suppose. Katekyo Hitman REBORN! was also fairly overrated. Not quite as bad as Fairy Tail or SDS, but I really hated how they treated female characters in that series. Plus, there were some very annoying characters.

I agree with Catcake that Hunter X Hunter is an amazing series. I don't know unpopular that opinion really is, though. It just seems like not a lot of people have bothered with HXH. You can't blame them, with all of the hiatuses, I suppose. And then there's the fact that the image of the series makes it look like it will the most blanded, cutesiest Shonen ever. Boy was I wrong thinking that before watching it. LOL. Not all of it was super amazing, but in many places it subverted Shonen cliches, and the way that last major arc ended in the anime just kind of blew me away.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Dubs can be amazing.
I tend to check out a german and english dub before watching the japanese original because I love some dubs.

SAO sucks.
I just don't get how anyone could like this anime.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
It was a great anime but, it's not amazing. It's too long and has too much going on all at once.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
One piece is really ugly looking

Is that really an unpopular opinion? Oh well.

Here's mine: Clannad and series by the same studio are really ugly looking. I tried to watch Clannad, I could not get over how creepy the female characters' faces looked with those strangely positioned and styled eyes. lol

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
SAO sucks.
I just don't get how anyone could like this anime.
Not unpopular anymore. I've surprisingly met a large group of people who despise SAO.

I actually think the second half of Death Note was fine. It was nothing spectacular, but it wasn't as bad as many fans made it out to be.

Back