• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Understanding the hype over America's favorite passtime

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

文偉立

newb programmer
I don't like sports. Let's get that clear. I'd rather play Mario sports games than to go injure myself or lull myself to sleep playing golf and such. I only play sports when I have the urge.

Here's a question I do not inquire to be rhetorical: "Why is baseball the national passtime?"

It's boring. Must I elaborate on that?

Baseball is a slow, somewhat turn-based game. Of all the extreme sports to play, I cannot understand why Baseball is so great. Basketball and Football would make PERFECT sports symbols in America. How is it Baseball can be so great?

Hokage

Banned
Awards
Two words. Stealing bases xD. America is known for stealing stuff.. ahem.. they stole land from the Native Americans and then they stole African People to make them work for them. It's all about the stealing. If there was no stealing of bases in Baseball.. it would not be a popular sport. Lmao.

Anyways, I see your point. Baseball is pretty boring.. to watch. It's actually kinda fun to play.. except if you have alot of people and they get out easily. I agree that Football and Basketball are much better sports to be our National symbol, except that Basketball was made by a Canadian. <<<

文偉立

newb programmer
So we can't have a Canadian originated sport be our symbol? o.o

The Japanese love Baseball but obviously isn't originated from them.

How this country adores baseball over most sports is a mystery to me.

MESMAR_RISING

Bronze Member
Awards
Sadly I was forced to read a book about exactly why some believe Baseball is America's favourite passtime in grade 10 english. So I actually have an explanation for you. Fantasmic... >.>

Anyways, before some believe baseball was tainted by players simply playing for money and not their love of the game, baseball was seen as one of the purest forms of entertainment, some even went so far as to compare it to religious ceremonies when watching a game.

The book for any of you who are interested is called Shoeless Joe, the authors name has slipped my mind(oh, what a tragedy >.>)

Anyways, personally I believe that all sports suck. I can play them, and I play them at school, and sometimes with friends if I feel like it. But for the most part they simply seem like a waste of time and money.

文偉立

newb programmer
What? I still find the game as boring as chess by e-mail yet so many people can cherish this sport so adoringly? Perhaps it is a national sport but I cannot understand how individual peoples can be so into the game. I do not know anyone who actually bows to a baseball player.

P

Prince_of_Light

there once was a time where sports were the only things people did. luckily for me, and for many of you, I'm guessing, that time has taken its end.

Drama Setter

DaDides
Awards
I find it boring...extremely boring.

Football and Basketball are my favorite sports to watch and play.

Awards
アクラ said:
The Japanese love Baseball but obviously isn't originated from them.

Yeah, but there favourite passtime is Ping Pong or Sumo wrestling, I think.

I see what you're saying exactly. I find it boring aswell. The way I see it, is that the title "America's Favourite Passtime" Is nothing more than a title. It's been around so long and lost it's meaning (Due to so many other, better sports) so it's nothing more than a title. It doesn't mean anything anymore. People just can't be bothered changing it, or haven't realised what it means when they say it.

文偉立

newb programmer
The Scarecrow said:
Yeah, but there favourite passtime is Ping Pong or Sumo wrestling, I think.

"I think" is right. The Japanese passtime is also baseball. After the Chinese dominated them in the Ping Pong tourney, the Japanese have given that up as their considerable national sport. Sumo Wrestling is as entertaining to the Japanese as Boxing is to Americans: it's no different and not too important.

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Actually, baseball/softball isn't much of a slow game. :/ Turn based, yeah yeah, I know. But while the pitcher is warming up to pitch while on the mound, a runner could be getting ready to run. So then what happens is that the runner steals regardless of what the throw is, two things happening at once. The batter and runner have to work together so that the batter knows not to swing when someone's stealing. Regardless of the pitch, cause if they swing, hit, and it's a pop fly, the runner is forced to go back to their base to touch up and then run to the next base because if a ball is caught in the air before it hit ground and a runner was not on the base when caught or not touched it after caught, then they can be called out if the ball reaches their original base before they can touch up. Also, it takes skill to pitch correctly. And catch. And run that fast and know what you're doing.

Sure, it's not as fast as football or basketball, but it's still not slow. Golf is slow. That's pry why older people play it. :/ Anyways.

Baseball is just a classic sport. :/ Call it pointless, but then I can call golf, soccer, basketball, rugby, lacrosse, the American football, or hockey pointless. All sports are pointless. Yet we play them cause they're fun. o-o

kairigirl

Bang!
Awards
Website
kemine.deviantart.com
Disclaimer: I love soccer. Yes I do. But I love essays too!

An Essay on Soccer Being Pointless

When one decides to choose a sport to play, they look for what sport is cool. Fun. Interesting. Challenging. They don't usually look at how pointless it is. Unfortunately, though, most sports are pointless. Very pointless, and soccer is a sport..a pointless sport if you get to the nitty grity of it.

You are taking a black and white checkered ball with air in it. It is about 12-14 inches in diameter or so and light, mostly, but good for kicking. You put this ball in the grass in the middle of two teams in colored uniforms. They then proceed to kick this ball up and down the field in order to put it into the goal at the other end. Of course, there are many rules to this game. Such as offsides, goal box, no hands, can't go outside the lines, must kick a certain way in when gone outside, must throw a certain way in when gone outside..so on and so forth. But the main point is that you are taking a ball and kicking it up and down the field. Ooh, wow.

But, I contradict myself. Is it sissy? No. It takes a lot of stamina to run up and down a grassy field kicking a ball and passing a ball and keeping up with the runner who has the ball and just all kinds of fun stuff. There is teamwork involved. But it is still pointless. <-< (all sports are pointless, btw, but fun nonetheless!)

Back to baseball..baseball makes reruns of House?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back