• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Um, PS2 get. Any ideas on games that maybe I could find if I looked?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
I got a fat PS2 not too long ago. Since I can borrow a ton of games from my brother, haven't worried so much about games, but been thinking.

Maybe it's time I got some of my own. Remember, I do like rpgs, got the persona games on my Amazon wish list. (Just means I'm planning on buying.) But I'd like to know if there's any more that would be reasonable to find...Just a few rules:

1. If it's got a collection for another system (Yes, yes, I'm looking at you Kingdom Hearts) you can mention it, but make sure you mention the collection. Oh and all Kingdom Hearts games for PS2 are off the table since I have KH 1.5 and KH 2.5. (We have the original English versions downstairs anyway for at least KH1 and KH2. 'Bro never got Chain of Memories.)

2. If it has a PSN release, say so please and if it's been remastered. If it's been remastered, I may go for the remastered edition instead. (Since I got Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, of course the original is off the table, again. I'm not one to own multiple copies of basically the same game, tho I made a exception with FF III (I have the DS version and the PC version). Just to make this clear.)

3. I'd rather not have to hunt up anything really expensive. I'm kinda on a limited income, but if it's really good, I might make a exception here and save up for it. ^^

So okay, help a kittycat out here please?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Tales of the Abyss. It has a 3DS rerelease but the PS2 version is superior due to not cramping your hands.

Persona 4. Another rerelease for the Vita, but if you don't have a Vita it is worth buying and playing. The original is still so amazing. The Golden additions just enhance an already great game.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
The Shadow Hearts series.
Problem is, the first game is preeeetty expensive. But you can play Covenant even without playing the first game and its still nice.
From the New World is also nice and unrelated to the first two games. It's an RPG and the gameplay focusses on the Ring-system where you have to hit certain areas on a ring to land hits in battle. The music is also gorgeous.

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
That's okay. Just added said collection to my wish list, as I said, remasters/collections are not totally off the table. Only if I own them; just means I get another PS3/PS4 game instead of a PS2 game. I just want to know if there IS one.

In the case of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, I may go for the collection since the individual games are a lot of money, and those are some I wanted to play anyway! When you're on a budget, sometimes getting the originals is just too much...

Last edited:

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
What kind of games do you like?

The PS2 has many excellent compilation titles from the likes of Capcom, SNK, Taito and SEGA. Some of them include a great selection of arcade ports, others focus on specific series like Mega Man and Sonic.

If you like platformers, you should check out the Ape Escape series! And Klonoa 2 if you can find a cheap copy.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria. Don't need to play the first one, but certain aspects are clearer if you have played it. One of the better combat systems you'll find out there. It's involved and has quite a few different systems at play giving you different ways to clear out dungeons. Also, no random encounters so you're able to skip fights (almost) whenever you want to.

Totally, totally second Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

As far as JRPGs that's kind of it from me. The only other ones I've played that aren't FF and KH are Rogue Galaxy (booorrring), and Radiata Stories (decent, but the combat leans towards the simplistic side). Oh and Xenosaga II but I never finished it.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Persona 4 is on PSN for PS3 just FYI.

Spider Man 2: Pretty much every one's favorite Spidy game. The 1st to feature an open world NY & has elaborate web swinging mechanics. Not to mention the best damn Mysterio showdown in gaming history.

Hulk Ultimate Destruction: & this is the definitive Hulk (& precursor to the Prototype series), enabling players to act on their destructive impulses to their hearts content. This is where the Incredible Hulk film got the idea of using cars for boxing gloves came from.

Megaman Anniversary Collection/Megaman X Collection: There are SOOOOOO many retro game collections on the PS2 that I could do a whole list on just those but MM is the cream of the crop here. Sure there's the Legacy collection on current platforms but that only goes up to MM6 & you'd have to get 7 on Wii U VC (if you even own a Wii U) & 8 on PSN. MMAC not only has all 8 games on 1 disc but it remains the only practical means of playing Megaman's 2 arcade titles as well. The PS2 version also has a very low-res copy of the 90s tv series' pilot episode as an unlockable (which I liked, people give that show too much crap IMO).

Similarly MMXC is a convenient means of getting the 1st 6 MMX games that scattered between PSN & VC. & it comes with Megaman Battle & Chase, a previously Japan-only kart racer.

Megaman X7/X8/Command Mission: X7/8 are for the sake of having a complete collection, this series was meant to X5 & it's been downhill from there. MMXCM is the more intriguing game however: a turn based MMX RPG with a party of characters to control. Never played myself but it's always been on my bucket list.

Final Fantasy XII: Because Square's taking their sweet ass time remastering the damn thing.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
Tales of the Abyss. It has a 3DS rerelease but the PS2 version is superior due to not cramping your hands.

Persona 4. Another rerelease for the Vita, but if you don't have a Vita it is worth buying and playing. The original is still so amazing. The Golden additions just enhance an already great game.

These are both amazing games to go with. I second this. Shadow of the Colossus is definitely worth playing, whether on PS2 or PS3. It's truly a classic.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I have a PS2 too! If you like Star Wars, get Star Wars Force Unleashed or Battlefront. If you like horrifying, nightmarish games, get any Twisted Metal game. If you like racing games, get Need for Speed Underground 2, that game is good! Now, a PS2 system can play PS1 games if you didn't know. GET MYST! Myst is a suspenseful, PS1 problem-solving game with mysteries and hidden secrets that lie within a book. The story is amazing, and there's a seqeul called Riven that's for PC. Please check it out!

maryadavies

She Shoots for the Stars
Awards
Website
maryadavies.vze.com
Thanks guys! And yeah, I wouldn't mind a few PS1 games too; soon as I get caught up with some backlog and tweak the res on my tv (that's the problem with modern TVs; they make PS1 games look. like. garbage) I mean to finally beat FF8. (My brother has a Pocketstation, yes go ahead and be jealous) That's the reason I wanted a PS2 fat so bad. The first models that could use the HDD were actually the most backwards compat of the models and I don't have a lot of space. The PS2 is also the only console that I have vert atm too, if that gives you a idea of the space issues.

I just have to be careful not to get duplicates of what my brother has right now so there isn't a argument later. And I'll see about Myst; I played the PC version of that and loved it! Would be fun to revisit if I could solve the res problem ^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back