• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

UK votes to leave European Union

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Britons voted to leave the European Union, U.K. broadcasters forecast, a startling rebuke that threatens to spark political turmoil in the U.K., weaken a continent already strained by multiple crises and rattle global financial markets

With 93% of voting areas reporting, Leave led Remain 51.8% to 48.2% early Friday. If that result holds, the U.K.’s ties with the EU would be severed after 43 years.

The pound fell more than 10% to its lowest point since 1985 and the outcome triggered steep drops in stock markets and a flight into safe assets such as bonds and gold.

U.K. Projected to Leave European Union - WSJ

World markets are going insane right now. Japan had to cease trading. The pound is at an unprecedented low.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36615028

BBC article if WSJ isn't working for you.

Last edited:

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN

I never thought they would actually vote to leave.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
It's astonishing how many people can be taken in by blatant lies.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Does anyone have a link to an article about this that doesn't require a subscription to read? I have no idea what's going on, and I'd like to get some information about it.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I've actually expected this for about a decade by now as the institution EU (not to be confused with a genuine wish for a united Europe in a different form by normal people) is an undemocratic moloch hampered by tons of unneeded bureaucracy, parasites and armchair-farters in both Brussels and Strasbourg (in the so-called "European Parliament") who collect outrageous salaries that are higher than some member states' chiefs of government or state earn and a certain toothlessness when it comes to actually make a point like i.e. in the Refugee-crisis or both Turkey and Russia going aggressive/expansive again.

Not to even mention that this EU expanded way too fast without actually building a solid foundation to it when it still had a more manageable number of member states.
All the "benefits" the EU granted were exploited and used mostly by big companies and the so-called "market" actors like Hedgefonds, greedy "Investors" and other scum who only worked to fill their own pockets instead of truly bettering the life of a majority of the actual european populace.
The great crash of 2008 resulted in an excess of tax payers money being used to rescue shitty banks and other shady figures who simply had gambled too much and now could shuffle off their losses to the public domain (read: the actual tax payers) with active support of the EU politicians and several individual national figures of member states (including Germany's Angela Merkel and Wolfgang Schäuble).

It is obvious that in its current form the "EU" is a monstrosity with already severe birth defects, so I expect this "EU" to either implode completely over the next five years at maximum and the rise of something else in its place, something where really only countries work together that actually share mostly similar interests and that is more democratically legitimized from the get-go or for the EU being strong-armed into a series of deep reforms that actually addresses the significant flaws of this "construct".
The latter of course only works if our complacent so-called "moderate" politicians finally wise up and actually do something for the native population of the european member states and stop ass-kissing the "markets" and exploitative big companies who only care about their profit as well as allowing the second smallest continent (in terms of landmass) to be flooded with hordes of people from the Middle East and Africa who expect to get the land of milk and honey here.

Of course there is also the possibility of right-wing movements gaining power everywhere and the "EU" breaking apart completely without any replacement, resulting in a relapse to the 1930s Europe with a lot of Nazi/Fascist states scattered in Europe that are easy pickings for predators like Russia or China or decimate themselves by infighting with one another.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
This is depressing, statistical trends show that the Working Class elderly are the highest populous in the U.K. and statistically voted the most to opt out. To add insult to injury, Scotland wants to have a second chance of Independence as the Scottish nation voted remain. Oh yeah, and the British Sterling Pound has drastically lost its value. Ladies and gentlemen, my home is slowly turning into a Mad Max movie. :'(

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
It's been quite something watching all the Brexit talk explode on my twitter feed. Mainly it's a lot of people banging their heads against a wall.

It's also been funny reading retweets of people who only voted to leave out of spite for the EU, but never really wanted to leave, or just voted for whatever and never thought their vote would really matter. (it always matters!) Or how Google searches for stuff like "what happens if we/the UK leaves the EU?" have shot up by 200% or something AFTER the vote.

All I can really say, U.K., is good luck to all of you.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
I'm quite amazed at how one of the first news I find about this is
"Game of Thrones fans fear that the producers won't be able to pay for the production anymore (because it would be partly financed by EU subsidies)".
I'm so glad this is our biggest problem in the world.

D

Deleted member 36435

only took 240 years for the UK to catch up to America
about time

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Or how Google searches for stuff like "what happens if we/the UK leaves the EU?" have shot up by 200% or something AFTER the vote.

At first I really cracked up about that one but then I though about how embarassing it feels that people are really this stupid and didn't look into possible consequences beforehand.

I'm quite amazed at how one of the first news I find about this is
"Game of Thrones fans fear that the producers won't be able to pay for the production anymore (because it would be partly financed by EU subsidies)".
I'm so glad this is our biggest problem in the world.

Pfft, yea, first world problems apparently.

There's also something I read about mostly people older than 50 voting for "Leave" in UK while many people younger than 30 voted for "Remain" but the latter group having a significantly lower participation rate in actual voting.

It also remains to see how the Scots will react now as I could imagine many of them by now regretting that they voted against independence in their referendum a few years before.

Considering the implications of the whole EU imploding now I can see the EU reacting pretty harshly and denying GB anything an concessions they reasonably can deny them without much harm for other member states.

*Irony on*
Imagine how much money Germany would save if it didn't have to pay for all the EU-shit anymore! Let's hold a referendum about an Gerexit soon here as well! Considering how stupid and uncaring for the own populace's wishes and worries "Mutti" Merkel is though I guess we would need to get rid of her first and install someone who isn't a bootlicker of lobbyists and the financial markets in order to actually get such a referendum going here as well. If the AfD is too radical we might still have Seehofer though. :p
*Irony off*

In a more serious manner though it is no wonder that the EU doesn't work not only because of the definitive lack of democratic legitimitation, but also because a majority (17 of 27) member states take more money and other resources out of the EU than they contribute (and then they refuse to participate when topics like distributing refugees evenly or other points of solidarity come up).
Even worse is that often much of that money is not even used to help the actual regular people in these countries, with Greece being one of the most harsh and obvious examples of that.
This is why I was and am still opposed to further expansion of the EU with further member states that only belong into the group that take more funds out of the joint budget than they put in. It simply cannot be reasonably funded anymore if new "recruits" are only takers instead of givers all the time.

Even comparativey "tiny" Finnland did pay more than 800 million more into the EU in 2014 alone than it got out of it, same goes for Denmark (more than 830 million), Austria (1240 million), Belgium (1,48 Milliards (Billion for US)) and Sweden with whopping 2,31 Milliards. The Swedes also have the highest per capita costs concerning money they give to the EU (and thus the member states who take out more than they give) as the overall populace is much smaller than in some of the nations who pay more.

Now the top five are Italy with 4,47 Milliards (and the Italians have themselves massive economic and refugee/illegal immigrant problems while NOT getting a discount like UK got up to now),
then on 4th the also comparatively "tiny" Netherlands with 4,71 Milliards, the 3rd being despite the discount still the UK so far with 5,6 milliards paid more than they get out of it.
On 2nd and 1st place are of course the so far driving forces of european unity, France with 7,16 milliards and Germany with a whopping 15,5 milliards every year paid more than it gets out of it.

With UK out of the picture the 5,6 milliards shouldered by them will of course have to come from elsewhere so the remaining payers will again have to pay more, not something the populaces in those countries will look forward to.
It could go otherwise if the loonies and armchair-farters in Brussels and Strasbourg finally get their shit together to work with a tighter budget or maybe get the balls to cut the overblown salaries of EU-officials and subsidies for countries who constantly mismanage them and refuse when it comes to solidarity. Not wasting money to save banks and other financial market idiots would also be an option of course, but how big are the chances that this actually happens?

Thus, the resentment against a "club" that continues to cost more and more will only increase and if any of these who pay more than they get apart from UK should also decide to leave, things will get very complicated and I dare to claim that if either France or Germany quit the EU is dead overnight.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
There's also something I read about mostly people older than 50 voting for "Leave" in UK while many people younger than 30 voted for "Remain" but the latter group having a significantly lower participation rate in actual voting.

I mean, who actually knows if those polls are really true, but I also saw two of those stating that about 68 % of people under the age of 25 wanted to stay in the EU. Well...
Weirdly reminded me of many old people keeping the CDU at such high votes in Germany with the reason of them "having been good 50 years ago" or whatever.

It also remains to see how the Scots will react now as I could imagine many of them by now regretting that they voted against independence in their referendum a few years before.

I heard a second referendum is "likely" at this point according to Nicola Sturgeon.

*Irony on*
Imagine how much money Germany would save if it didn't have to pay for all the EU-shit anymore! Let's hold a referendum about an Gerexit soon here as well! Considering how stupid and uncaring for the own populace's wishes and worries "Mutti" Merkel is though I guess we would need to get rid of her first and install someone who isn't a bootlicker of lobbyists and the financial markets in order to actually get such a referendum going here as well. If the AfD is too radical we might still have Seehofer though. :p
*Irony off*

You know, at this point, seeing how popular especially the AfD is getting, this doesn't sound too impossible.
And hey, Seehofer already wants more referenda, so he's the top pick, right? :D

Thus, the resentment against a "club" that continues to cost more and more will only increase and if any of these who pay more than they get apart from UK should also decide to leave, things will get very complicated and I dare to claim that if either France or Germany quit the EU is dead overnight.

I can see many reasons to consider leaving the EU in the view of the states who don't really "get" much out of it. What I just don't get is people blindly voting for it without thinking about the negative consequences as well. Because even if there are positive things about leaving the EU for Britain, it's still not the weird form of "perfect salvation" they seem to be hoping for.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
At first I really cracked up about that one but then I though about how embarassing it feels that people are really this stupid and didn't look into possible consequences beforehand.
You know, it's possible that a lot of those searches might've been from non-UK citizens hearing about this news only just now, and not being too sure what it means. I personally haven't been keeping up with European economics and I didn't know that the UK was considering leaving this union in the first place.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
You know, it's possible that a lot of those searches might've been from non-UK citizens hearing about this news only just now, and not being too sure what it means. I personally haven't been keeping up with European economics and I didn't know that the UK was considering leaving this union in the first place.

The whole ordeal was so that, former prime minister, David Cameron could stroke his ego in assuming and proving to his political party that the United Kingdom would remain in Europe. The Conservatives (Republican equivalent) wanted to leave the European Union. It didn't help that the campaigns for leaving the EU were far stronger than the ones to remain...

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
NOgDKBf.jpg

king_mickey rule

The Great Destroyer
Awards
Oh look a liar is backtracking on his words once shit hit the fan. Who could've seen that coming.

Not only that, but looking at the losses, there won't be much left of those 350 mil.

And as the icing on the cake, many people who voted leave are backpeddling on their vote, thinking their vote wasn't gonna make a difference. Well fuck, who would've thought something like that could make a difference. It's not like the UK economy hinges on this referendum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back