• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Ubuntu Help

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theory Master

Website
www.myspace.com
my friend got it just this mornig so i wanted to check it out but then it said that its a new system n some thins are nor gonna be usable anymore so am kinda confused.:confused:
if you have it or know some info about it, then let me know.
All help will be appreciated! :thumbsup:
Thanks in advance!

---Khilango

RealEmotionX

I need specific problems >.> I can give you any kind of advice but it probably will be pointless.

Theory Master

Website
www.myspace.com
welp, are programs like iTunes work on the OS.
also what is better, double portioning the hard drive or deleting the previous OS and install the new one?
if u want to type more info, then it aight. ppl who are in the same spot as I am, then they would appreciate it too!

---Khilango

RealEmotionX

itunes wont work on linux, and its best to just format your harddrive and intall from there. . .as for a restore I dont know, reinstall it? >.>

RealEmotionX

umm no it doesnt, Ubuntu doesnt have the problems that System Restore fixes. And System restore doesnt reset settings to the original settings, you cant do Factory Default or Install default on any operating system without a full reinstall

Theory Master

Website
www.myspace.com
hum... ok
n if u are a tech dude...
what graphics card do u recommend in order to beryl to work?
i have Nvidia Gforce4 n the watter effect doesnt work.
the cube fx is kinda glitchy
and the fx for the windows (burn, magic lamp etc...) dont work either :-(

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
The other option would have been to do a virtual machine.
VMware is my preferred virtual machine software, but if you need something free.. Microsoft has 'Virtual PC 2007', which I'm pretty sure is freeware.
Microsoft Virtual PC 2007

That being said, you will need a very powerful machine to do this.. You will in essence, be running Windows AND Linux at the same time. And so, you must meet the requirements of BOTH operating systems at the same time. IE, if windows needs 256Mb of memory, and linux needs 128 or 256Mb, you will need ATLEAST 256Mb+(128 or 256)Mb.. to run both OSes. You will also want a very fast proc.. though a dualcore or quadcore proc is highly recommended for this purpose. (Set windows to a single core, and the virtual machine to the second core.. each OS will be running on a single core.)

Other things like sound or video or sound shouldn't really affect the machine too much, if you have decent hardware.

The virtual machine is abit trickier to setup, but well worth it. And, when used with VMware, you have an option to make 'snapshots' of your virtual machines.. (I do not know if Virtual PC 2007 has this feature.) A snapshot is pretty much a restore point for a virtual machine.. However, be aware that ANY software installed or ANY files that have been created since the last snapshot WILL BE LOST when reverting to a previous snapshot!!! You WILL LOSE DATA, if careless!

Finally, make sure your GeForce 4 meets the 'Recommended' reqs for byrel.. a GeForce 4 is highly outdated, btw..

~~Azurith

Theory Master

Website
www.myspace.com
i check this site of re yeah and naw cards that should be used or not.
Plugin options - Beryl Wiki

n what i can see, GeForce4 is one of the best when using Beryl.
the other cards are bad if u use ur PC too much.
and thank you Azurith for the heads up!

--------
are there any GOOD or DECENT video editing program that works on Ubuntu?
i cant find any.

---Khilango

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
Get wine if you want to use one that you are used to, but if you don't want some latency/quality issue i'd do application>add/remore>video/audio and try some of the ones listed.

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
i Have tried the ones that are offered in Ubuntu n they suck...
Eloborate?Rather than just saying hey do, tell us why they do..... it's like photoshoppers who say gimp sucks. "it's too hard," yeah, well it's meant for people who just made an OS.

Theory Master

Website
www.myspace.com
welp, the ones they offer are for subtitles and the one tht looked like a editor, it wont like cut, and it doesnt have FX like WMM (example).
ama try to install WMM to see if it works.

also can you help me out downloading Java?
i try to follow the instructions but it keeps asking me for my root password.
i give it and a message saying that the authentication is not valid. n yeah i have the correct password so iono y it wont accept it.

EDIT: the WMM installed but i dont know how to use it.
n besides i have no idea how to use wine. i install it but... poof! lol i cnt find the program

Last edited:

var1ables

Play hard, go pro.
Awards
It's the password you set up at the beginning. If not then click system>administration>users and groups, and then just edit the root password.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Also, when using the 'root' (Super-Admin) account, you need to use 'root' as your username, NOT your normal user id. This is because root is a completely different and seperate account.

My thought is that maby you are trying to use your normal account's name. Use 'root' instead, along with the root user's password. You shouldn't have any problems with authentication.

Also, which Ubuntu install are you using?

There is actually a specific Ubuntu install for video, sound, and graphical editing tools.. it has some really powerful tools... pretty much, the best free opensource tools around for editing.

Home | Ubuntu Studio <---The version I speak of.

If you haven't installed this version, you can still get the other opensource software.. you'll just have a harder time finding, configuring, installing.... etc.
(I can't remember if Ubuntu uses package installs like Debian or Debian deritatives, *cough*Knoppix*cough*...) If it does have package installs, and doesn't require sourcecode compilation, you should just be able to browse an index and find the installs.. It'll be somewhere in the 'system' options, if it is there. I just don't remember! xD

~~Azurith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back