• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Two links you want, why and how it would work?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

mytomxxx

First, I know there is a old thread about links we wanted. But I tought the approach that I want to take is different. And i'm so much bored, need to write a long topic hehe.

So, based in trailers and the demo gameplay, we now know that summons changed into links. The main differences between this two is that:

-When you use a summon you still have your own commands. You are mostly free (besides Dumbo in KH1) and use the summon attacks using reaction commands, or their limit.
On the other side, Links works more like a hibrid between the Limits and Summons. Limits function is that, your commands change and your attacks are with the summon or party member.
That said, Links use the system where you call a friend, but instead of being free and having your commands (attack, magic, item, limit...) your commands now change, and you perform attacks toguether with them, like in limits.

-Based on this enterview there are another main difference:
-The summoning of trustworthy friends by “Link”
(Image of Sora and Ariel having some finny fun)

Appearing in Birth By Sleep in the form of the “Dimension Link”, the “Link System” in KH3 is a similar idea where you are able to lend upon the power of your friends afar. Upon fulfilling certain requirements, those who have connected with Sora’s heart, like Ariel and Meow Wow, will make a temporary appearance on screen, bringing all sorts of bonuses and effects.

The links are only ones connected with Sora's heart, which means Sora somehow needs to know them. While in other games, he never meet with Stitch or Chicken Little before. The links need to be with someone he did know before.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

We have 6 Summons on KH1 and 4 on KH2, which are:
Spoiler Spoiler Show

And until now, we have 4 Links in KH3. Which are:

- Ariel: You start dancing with her dealing AoE dmg. After that your commands change to 'O' Dive, 'X' Splash, 'Triangle' to finish and 'L1' to cancel. During the link you dive and make holes at the floor, you can press Dive to come up again, doing damage in the enemies in the way. Pressing Splash while you are in the air makes you throw water at enemies doing AoE DMG. When you finish all the holes start to throw water and make AoE DMG.

- Wreck-It Ralph: Commands change to 'O' Jump, 'X' Build, 'Square' Rush, 'Triangle' finish, and 'L1' to cancel. With the right and left in the dpad, you can change between different types of buildings? to build with 'O'. You can even build then in the air, since some of them have canons pointing down. Every build have canons, and, when you finish the link they explode in these directions, doing AoE DMG. I didn't see what rush does, but probably it rushes. hehe...

- DreamEaters: Commands changes to 'Prob: Square' Ballon Rush, 'Prob: O' Tornado Jump, probably 'L1' to cancel and 'Triangle' to finish. While I don't know which one does what, but it seens like all commands does AoE DMG (again e.e). You can ride the Meow Wow and bounce around. The finisher is a explosion with all the cutest creepy things, the dream eaters.

- Simba: I think we couldn't see much about Simba, we know only that we can ride him(I guess it is the only thing we know). Maybe ride even for locomotion in the game. Probably we do AoE DMG (again).

So, based that in KH1 we had 6 summons, and this new game feature alot of content. I'm guessing that we will have atleast 6 links. So, while we already have 4 of them confirmed, I would like to know the other 2 you guys think that could be cool and what would be their commands, colors, dances, movies, intro, finishers and cute.

For me those two are, Baymax and Jack Skallington. Why?
- Baymax: He is cute asf... And in his intro he could heal you.
Commands:
'O' Rocket Hand: He would hijecket his hand in the enemies, basic.
'X' Fly: We could fly with him, would make a really cool locomotion in those big areas.
'Square' 0-10 whats your pain? kidding hehe
Finisher: would heal all our party. I mean we need healer links, we had atleast 1 summmon who heals.
AND he is cute asf...

-Jack Skalington: I love him...
IN his intro we could deal AoE DMG with that spining attk of KH2. And maybe we could have the costumes from hallowen town during the link, just maybe hehe.
'O' spin attk: we spin attk...
'X' we put that boxes that jump with some scare shit, this would attract near enemies to the box, like a magnet.
Zero could heal our MP randoly like Stitch does, like heal we need some summon that manage with MP.
The finisher would be equa
l to the limit in KH2, it is just amazing, dont need to change hehe.
AND i love him...

Now you people. Remember, even if i'm wrong, lets just stay with people Sora met, and I don't think only Disney characters count... Maybe Cloud, pooh, bahamut, Leon, Tieff, don't know. Unless you have a really blown your mind idea lets stay with this rules.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
On a purely semantic level, I don't like that they switched the language for this function from "Summon" to "Link." I know that's not the point of this topic but just saying.

I do like the sum..."links" they've revealed so far, though. It's especially nice to have Ariel and Simba back. Although it doesn't seem to be as singular or strong of a focus as initially thought, I really enjoyed the concept that was floated of centering the link system around Disney characters from previous games whose worlds we won't be visiting this time around. So I'd like to see as few "new" character summons as possible, and instead see old characters take up a new function in helping Sora through the last stage of this journey.

Jack Skellington would be an excellent fit in this regard (along with Zero?), casting dark magic like Graviga/Ultima. Or throwing exploding pumpkins haha! Building on your idea of incorporating the Halloweentown costumes, bonus points if summoning him in Frozen produces the cast's Christmastown outfits for the fun of it. Obviously for his entrance animation he would need to rise out from a fountain.

If I had to pick one other, it's gotta be Tinkerbell. She's been a summon in both main games (once alone, once with Peter) and it would be a shame to leave her out this time. The usual healing and maybe light based magic would be welcome, and of course being able to fly freely while linked with her would be awesome. I'd love to see her entrance animation be the same as it was in KH1, for nostalgia's sake.

Alternatively to either of these, the Cheshire Cat could be a fun link. Limbs popping out from different areas on the screen to do damage, illusory and/or support type magic and maybe some defensive spells like Reflect as well as obviously casting Confusion. Might be fun too if it was a really OP summon but had a random chance to do bad things to Sora, keeping to the Cat's tricky, morally ambivalent nature.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Since Agrabah seems unlikely what about Aladdin as a sort of earth link. He could wip up sandstorms with his swords. Or make him a dual summon with Genie.

I agree with Alexis that most of the summons are probably going to be prior companions. Though I do hope they can squeeze in Maui.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I agree with Alexis that most of the summons are probably going to be prior companions. Though I do hope they can squeeze in Maui.
I don't, the inclusion and characterization of Maui in Moana was already a culturally loaded stunt bordering on outright appropriation which I'd rather not see replicated (and arguably made worse) in KH. Moana herself would be OK I think, but as it stands Ariel's already filling in as the water-based magic summon, so maybe in a future title.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I don't, the inclusion and characterization of Maui in Moana was already a culturally loaded stunt bordering on outright appropriation which I'd rather not see replicated (and arguably made worse) in KH. Moana herself would be OK I think, but as it stands Ariel's already filling in as the water-based magic summon, so maybe in a future title.

Not to derail the thread, but I strongly disagree about the appropriation. He doesn't have to be a water based link, his gimmick could be shapeshifting.

I'd pick him as a summon over Moana.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I'd love to see a Spiderman link. it'll never happen but I'll be damned if it wouldn't be perfect, and bring genie back. some wildcard, you-dont-know-what-to-expect link where his "wishes" are what he deems fit and could change the tide the battle drastically.
I'm legitimately very curious on why you think Moana is less controversial than Maui.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Not to derail the thread, but I strongly disagree about the appropriation. He doesn't have to be a water based link, his gimmick could be shapeshifting.

I'd pick him as a summon over Moana.
I mean that Moana would obviously make more sense as a water based link, but with Ariel already confirmed she's unlikely for this title.

Maui's depiction in the film has been divisive and as someone who isn't Polynesian I'm not claiming a firm stake in either side of the debate (except to say that I err on the side of caution when it comes to Disney and cultural representation, which is to say I'm always suspicious of the intent until proven otherwise); but the problem with including him in KH3 as a summon/link feature intersects with too many of the concerns over Disney adopting/appropriating him as an addition to their corporate IP which they can then brand and loan out to anyone they want to. Maui isn't a Disney creation, he's a central figure in Pacific Islander folklore including, to my understanding, some creation stories: this would be something on par with including Jesus as a summon in terms of how loaded it is from a religious and cultural viewpoint. Highly uncomfortable.

edit:
I'm legitimately very curious on why you think Moana is less controversial than Maui.
Because unlike Maui, Moana is actually an original Disney character (supposedly created with a PI story trust) who doesn't come with the same overt religious import. I feel they have more of a right to "market" her so-to-speak. With Maui I think that's treading very choppy waters.

That's not to say I think Moana is great for PI representation but in a lot of ways that's not my call to make. I haven't sat down and watched the movie but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen, personally.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I mean that Moana would obviously make more sense as a water based link, but with Ariel already confirmed she's unlikely for this title.

Maui's depiction in the film has been divisive and as someone who isn't Polynesian I'm not claiming a firm stake in either side of the debate (except to say that I err on the side of caution when it comes to Disney and cultural representation, which is to say I'm always suspicious of the intent until proven otherwise); but the problem with including him in KH3 as a summon/link feature intersects with too many of the concerns over Disney adopting/appropriating him as an addition to their corporate IP which they can then brand and loan out to anyone they want to. Maui isn't a Disney creation, he's a central figure in Pacific Islander folklore including, to my understanding, some creation stories: this would be something on par with including Jesus as a summon in terms of how loaded it is from a religious and cultural viewpoint. Highly uncomfortable.

edit:

Because unlike Maui, Moana is actually an original Disney character (supposedly created with a PI story trust) who doesn't come with the same overt religious import. I feel they have more of a right to "market" her so-to-speak. With Maui I think that's treading very choppy waters.

That's not to say I think Moana is great for PI representation but in a lot of ways that's not my call to make. I haven't sat down and watched the movie but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen, personally.
I meqn you could say the same for a lot of Disney properties that have been in KH. Namely Hercules which is wildly different from the actual greek myths.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I see no issue with Maui as a link

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards

Maui's summon seems like it'd be more transformative based rather than water elemental, which is a void I feel like dream eaters or genie could fill. and lets also be honest in saying that this is far from the first time that Disney has reimagined a historical figure and added them to the collective brand- Mulan, Pocahantus, hell, much of Hercules' lore checks the box on deities but its not like anyone is really practicing that religion anymore

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Mulan, Pocahantus
So what is your defense of these films exactly?

I meqn you could say the same for a lot of Disney properties that have been in KH. Namely Hercules which is wildly different from the actual greek myths.

much of Hercules' lore checks the box on deities but its not like anyone is really practicing that religion anymore
Since both of you mentioned this, let me just say no. Greek myths and epics, and Greek culture in general, is rigorously studied throughout the Western world and is exalted for its historical merits within academia. Kids in school are exposed to Greece as a matter of course, its hero legends have been exported all around the world, and the Greek people are not currently living under colonial occupation, having their land and resources exploited against their will for a tourist economy (among other things). If Disney or any studio wants to take creative license with that material, its impact on Greek society is negligible if not nonexistent.

Pacific Islander people and their cultures are treated as remote and exotic, if not hostile and uncivilized until corporate monoliths like Disney see an opportunity to make money off of them, which is when you get films like Lilo & Stitch or Moana (or that other movie, not Disney iirc, Aloha, where Hollywood in all its heightened awareness thought it would be totally fine to cast Emma Stone as a mixed Native Hawaiian and Asian woman) which trade, to varying degrees, in the stereotypical language of Pasifika culture and lifestyles with the stated intention of bringing visibility to them (which may be true), but also carry a dangerous potential or even tendency to advance the pervasive language of culture-theft stemming from that colonial condition which is that we'll take the aspects of your culture that we want, when we want them, and leave the rest because it doesn't suit our narrative or, really, the profit-driven ends to which it aspires.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I didn't defend them at all. I'm just saying that Maui is a drop in a pretty big pond.

edit: didn't I just say that use of greek mythos is pretty inconsequential lol

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
Adult Bambi because he needs to be represented in this franchise. He can function as a Carbuncle and take over Tinkerbells role from Kingdom Hearts.

Peter Pan seems to be a fitting aero summon. Make him be made out of stars like a cosmic entity.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Of course I agree that Disney has a long and storied history of racial appropriation, Chuman, but that of Maui would constitute a very modern continuation of that tradition which makes it all the more relevant given its immediate proximity to the Revival Disney canon. Your position would seem to be that it's less egregious than the degree to which a film like Pocahontas commits to its historical and cultural inaccuracies, and I would agree with that statement on its face, but the pursuant implication that it's somehow, therefore, a more acceptable version of the same racist tradition we keep getting sold loses me.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
You could make an argument that including Maui in Moana(and by extension KH3 if he makes it in as as summon) could make more people interested and curious about Polynesian mythology. It was the same for me for certain Disney films.

Anyway Beast would be a cool Link. Since Ariel is a mermaid again, they could have Adam as the Beast without any explaination.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
chirithy is gonna be a summon I feel. whether a unique one that heals sora and imbues him with "lux" or as a level to the rest of the Dream Eaters link, its gonna happen. I bring up the aspect of leveling summons because every other gameplay mechanic in this game seems to be customizable and have a feature of progression, I don't see why not do the same for one of the series' most iconic mechanics and layer it so the summons get more wacky and off the wall as you play.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
You could make an argument that including Maui in Moana(and by extension KH3 if he makes it in as as summon) could make more people interested and curious about Polynesian mythology.
Which is exactly the colonial framework Disney wants you to operate under, the idea that someone outside of the cultural community in question will benefit from this exchange, without considering the need for and rights of Indigenous people to self-identify and determine the terms of that cultural exchange. The emphasis is always on the virtuous colonizer, eager to learn but never to listen.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Which is exactly the colonial framework Disney wants you to operate under, the idea that someone outside of the cultural community in question will benefit from this exchange, without considering the need for and rights of Indigenous people to self-identify and determine the terms of that cultural exchange. The emphasis is always on the virtuous colonizer, eager to learn but never to listen.
there's a thread for this folks, I'll add these there as well as my reply: how would you feel if Disney paid proper restitution and such, a certain percentage of their profit for example, to the people in question?

mytomxxx

I really enjoyed the concept that was floated of centering the link system around Disney characters from previous games whose worlds we won't be visiting this time around.

It is like, being able to revisit them. I know what you are saying, feel the same hehe.

Jack Skellington would be an excellent fit in this regard (along with Zero?)
Zero is his ghost dog

casting dark magic like Graviga/Ultima. Or throwing exploding pumpkins haha! Building on your idea of incorporating the Halloweentown costumes, bonus points if summoning him in Frozen produces the cast's Christmastown outfits for the fun of it. Obviously for his entrance animation he would need to rise out from a fountain.
Woo i loved this idea, cause when I was a kid, the best part of the game for me was the costumes Sora had in halloween and christmas town.
Alternatively to either of these, the Cheshire Cat could be a fun link. Limbs popping out from different areas on the screen to do damage, illusory and/or support type magic and maybe some defensive spells like Reflect as well as obviously casting Confusion. Might be fun too if it was a really OP summon but had a random chance to do bad things to Sora, keeping to the Cat's tricky, morally ambivalent nature.
I think the Cheshire as a sumon would make a really cool looking thing, parts of his body could appear anywhere in the area doing damage hehe.

Since Agrabah seems unlikely what about Aladdin as a sort of earth link. He could wip up sandstorms with his swords. Or make him a dual summon with Genie.
I have the feeling that Genie is gonna appear. I mean, he feels like THE summon, he feels like Colyseum and Acre Wood as a world to me, as they are part of the game.

Besides the political part (which I think is a must to discuss), Maui would really be fun to play as a summon, because of his personality and his abilities shapeshifting and everything. But I wish he doesnt appear, cause I dont really want to give money to people that will win this money with culture of others. And in reality I doubt he would appear.

Adult Bambi because he needs to be represented in this franchise. He can function as a Carbuncle and take over Tinkerbells role from Kingdom Hearts.

Peter Pan seems to be a fitting aero summon. Make him be made out of stars like a cosmic entity.
You mean, healing sora during the summon?

chirithy is gonna be a summon I feel. whether a unique one that heals sora and imbues him with "lux" or as a level to the rest of the Dream Eaters link, its gonna happen. I bring up the aspect of leveling summons because every other gameplay mechanic in this game seems to be customizable and have a feature of progression, I don't see why not do the same for one of the series' most iconic mechanics and layer it so the summons get more wacky and off the wall as you play.

I have the feeling Chirithy is going to appear, i dont know if as a link, but I kinda expect that. They are too cute to not appear. I think nomura need to show the cute things he did, over and over again.

Last edited:

Zul

Awards
I'd prioritize whoever Sora interacted with the most in previous games that won't be appearing in the current game. This would be dependent on the links having some kind of small interaction/cutscene when acquired. With that, they could serve to keep the previous bonds alive and focus on new worlds at the same time, have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. I don't think "just" having them in gameplay is enough, I want some kind of in-dialogue acknowledgement.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I'd prioritize whoever Sora interacted with the most in previous games that won't be appearing in the current game. This would be dependent on the links having some kind of small interaction/cutscene when acquired. With that, they could serve to keep the previous bonds alive and focus on new worlds at the same time, have your cake and eat it too, so to speak. I don't think "just" having them in gameplay is enough, I want some kind of in-dialogue acknowledgement.
I love this idea. I really want to see some interaction between Sora and Ariel that isn't framed by a rhythm game sequence; their bond in KH1 was so good and the idea that she'll actually be traveling with Sora to other worlds in some capacity in KH3 is really sweet. I'd love to see them touch upon that, and of course seeing him catch up with Simba in some capacity would be great as well. There's just a rich history between Sora and his Disney allies that would stand to benefit from this mechanic and make it more than a novelty: the same way the aeons were tied into the narrative in FFX and felt more valuable for it.

edit: May be superfluous but it would be nice to have the summon/links represented through a physical item which helps channel their power, in a similar way to the summon gems in KH1 or (different function but similar idea) the items in each world which the open the pathways in KH2. It'd be great to have little callbacks, like for Ariel the link item could the Crystal Trident (let's say it was restored somehow) and for Simba it could be...something else of note that isn't coming to mind. Basically little tokens of Sora's adventure which could act almost as easter eggs for people who are really paying attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back