• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

"Twice-Cooked Monomyth" - A Recipe?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ordeith

Great Old One
Awards
In the creative writing class I took last year, one informal assignment/exercise was to write a recipe in some unusual form. I chose to write a pseudo-religious text about the creation of cookies.

It's just a silly, unedited piece; I'm posting it mostly for the sake of posting it. I'd like to finish more writing pieces, and would also like to see a vitalized Creative Writing section -- so this is a nice start to both of those objectives. Soon enough, I'll start submitting things that I care about. For now, enjoy this!

--------------------------------------------------

Lo, the Culinary Lords bespake of the First Years, and the cold hunger,
when Man yearned for the savory sweet:

[1] In the First Years, the bosom of Mother Earth held no warmth. Soaked with frigid rains She was, and all fruit She bore was cold. [2] It sated, but did not satisfy. It filled the stomach, yet the lips wanted greater sweetness. Man yearned for a taste beyond the power of Mother Earth.

[3] Only merciful Koekje heard their pangs of hunger. He departed from the table of Culinary Lords, with Fire as his companion. [4] When his sight fell upon the limp vegetables, Koekje wept out of pity for Man and his Mother. Holding council with Fire, he planned an end for the coldness of Mother Earth and the bitterness of Her children.

[5] Taking the drowned grasses in his hands, Koekje spoke unto Fire: “Fire, dispel the water.” And Fire obeyed, searing all wetness from the grass. Then Koekje used his massive hands to pound the grasses into dust, which took well to the warmth. [6] Koekje put the dust aside, then beheld the lesser children of Mother Earth—the cows and goats of the field. Drawing the milk from their bodies, he spoke unto Fire: “Fire, make this milk solid in my hand.” And Fire obeyed, pressing the milk until it was soft and golden, like the warmth of heaven.

[7] Koekje put the turned milk aside, then beheld the towering reeds, limbless and bare. He spoke unto Fire: “Fire, hew these reeds from the Earth.” And Fire obeyed, becoming a great axe in the hands of Koekje. [8] With a mighty swing, he cut the reeds from the soil of Mother Earth, and extracted the sweetness within.

Yet Koekje still had not finished. [8] He beheld the grandchildren of Mother Earth—the clucking fowl, who produced nothing of worth. He spoke unto the Fire: “Fire, set these fowl to work.” And Fire obeyed, setting the fowl alight, that they might produce something of worth. [9] The fowl set a beautiful white pearl in Koekje’s hand, and he was pleased.

[10] At this time, Man beheld all that Koekje had wrought, and was confused. Man did not understand the plans of Koekje, and spoke like a child in his ignorance. [11] Man said, “What is this dust, which is warm and not sweet? What is this reed, which is sweet and not warm? What is this strange milk, which is gold like warmth, yet not warm?” [12] Fire was enraged, and wished to burn Man for his insolence; but Koekje merely laughed, bidding patience from all.

[13] Gathering the fruits of his labor, Koekje descended with Fire into the bosom of Mother Earth. They descended to the cavern closest to Her heart; [14] and there, Koekje spoke unto Fire again: “Fire, build in this cavern a great furnace.” And Fire obeyed, spreading warmth through the chambers of Mother Earth's heart.

[15] For nine to eleven minutes, Koekje bid the Fire to warm the ingredients he had wrought. Each fell into harmony with its siblings, and a perfect whole was made. [16] A golden sun of warmth it was, of a sweet taste unlike the fruits of Mother Earth. [17] As he ascended from the caverns, Koekje added a final ingredient, wrought from his own genius: Shards of Darkness, taken from the space between stars, he added to the creation. So the creation's flavor was both of golden light and of sweet oblivion.

[18] Man, who had scoffed out of ignorance, was greatly amazed by the creation of Koekje. He tasted of the round wafer, and his breast was filled with the warmth it so lacked. [19] Mother Earth blushed with pride, and bore sweet fruit in multitude.

[21] Before returning to the table of the Culinary Lords, Koekje spoke unto Man, and gave to him the secret of his creation. He bid Fire to stay with Mother Earth, and aid her child, Man. [20] Fire obeyed, but did not heed Man as readily as Koekje.

[22] Man, in lasting gratitude, called the wafer by the name of Koekje. Aided by Fire and Mother Earth, he wrought new creations of the same kind. [23] But none could best that which Koekje had first created, the Original Chocolate Chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back