• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Treasure Planet

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Crimson Crashing

Inferno - R.I.P <3
Awards
Because it would be too RAD.

For real though, this is one of my favorite underrated "gems" and Disney dropped the ball with it's marketing. If you ever got some time to spend watching a half hour youtube video about an old Disney movie, check this out;

Soldier

Awards
First off, you posted this thread in the wrong section, General discussion is for things OUTSIDE the topic of KH
Second, Treasure planet was a box office bomb, it earned too little money by Disney's standards and the critics hated it. To this day if you go to a Disney park, you're highly unlikely to see any merchandise for this movie if at all.
Third: The themes present in this movie (ships, space travel) are already present in some of Disney's more successful franchises like Pirates and Lilo and Stitch. Why use a movie that performed poorly to promote a game when you've already got more successful name brand alternatives?

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I think Treasure Planet nearly made it into DDD. There was data of a ship found in the coding that could have been from that film.

Even if it was a flop I think it could be used for a non numbered titles. Those games could get away with having lesser known films

KeybladeMasterJr

Awards
First off, you posted this thread in the wrong section, General discussion is for things OUTSIDE the topic of KH
Second, Treasure planet was a box office bomb, it earned too little money by Disney's standards and the critics hated it. To this day if you go to a Disney park, you're highly unlikely to see any merchandise for this movie if at all.
Third: The themes present in this movie (ships, space travel) are already present in some of Disney's more successful franchises like Pirates and Lilo and Stitch. Why use a movie that performed poorly to promote a game when you've already got more successful name brand alternatives?
I wouldn’t suspect anything less from heartless critics lol

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Thread moved. Please only post Kingdom Hearts discussions in the Kingdom Hearts section.

General Discussion is for non-Kingdom Hearts related subjects.

disney233

Awards
Because if it wasn't for the fact that it was a flop, the combination of both would be phenomenal. Especially when you have scenery like this.
780w-463h_112717_treasure-planet-15th-anniversary-1.jpg
5b5092a758ed5d8a13cad0a44da8997a.jpg
iofytums0wmz.jpg
treasure-planet-79.png
The concept of space pirates has always interested me more than regular pirates, but the fact that Treasure Planet's a box office bomb is the reason that it'll never be in KH. And it's saddening. The Caribbean made up for it. Not Deep Space. At all.

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
To be honest, I’d kinda like to see it too, but being a box office bomb is definitely going to hinder that. I think the sole exception that made it in the games is Alice in Wonderland, a box office bomb but made it in the game because she (the story of Alice by Carroll, not necessarily just the Disney film) was wildly popular in Japan, to the point that she became a princess.

That and trying to drag a giant singing fish in a galvanized tub across different worlds just to open a door is just silly.

Clue.Less

Awards
Website
archiveofourown.org
I don't understand the "box office bomb" argument. First because I can understand the point made in the video shared above that it was an orchestrated bomb, so it's not an issue of lack of popularity, but most of all because with Disney+ (and Disney seemingly wanting to move away from theatres for family content? see their Live Action Mulan choice/experiment) box office feels increasingly irrelevant to me as a measure of success and as an influence on decision-making.

Thematically now, Treasure Planet is a coming-of-age story through a found father/son relationship, and it doesn't seem relevant yet in KH. It would work nicely with Aladdin 3 and Brave eventually, in my opinion, in a hypothetical later title that might explore family ties, parental figures and mentors. So I'm glad they're "saving it for later" if that's what they're doing. Also, I think it's fitting that they might have thought of using Treasure Planet in DDD, because Jim's emotional growth, and his relationship to adventure and loneliness makes a lot of sense next to Riku's; they are the same kind of smart and caring, with similar teenage years of feeling like a misfit for different reasons. (Ven would be The Best character for a Treasure Planet adventure, actually...)

As disney233 pointed out, the art direction is already spectacular and the level design would be extraordinary. EDIT: And the actual Treasure Planet video game proves that it's awesome video game material with plenty to do.

That and trying to drag a giant singing fish in a galvanized tub across different worlds just to open a door is just silly.

What are you talking about?

Last edited:

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has no idea. I really wanna know.

I'm guessing they're referring to Ariel? She was originally intended to be a Princess of Heart but it was too complicated to accommodate her being a mermaid so they instead opted for another human.

disney233

Awards
I'm guessing they're referring to Ariel? She was originally intended to be a Princess of Heart but it was too complicated to accommodate her being a mermaid so they instead opted for another human.
......I'm still lost. What does Ariel have to do with Treasure Planet?

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
......I'm still lost. What does Ariel have to do with Treasure Planet?

Idreamaboutcats was talking about Treasure Planet being a box office bomb and comments on the inclusion of Alice in Wonderland in KH and the reasons Alice was made a PoH despite her film also bombing.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I feel like Luxord would have felt right at home in a Treasure Planet world. If it was in KH3 he definitely would have been the SoD of that world and possibly allied with Longjohn silver

Last edited:

Idreamaboutcats

Awards
Oh my god, I’m so sorry for the confusion, but I also had a good laugh.😆 I thought “giant singing fish” was a dead giveaway for Ariel, but yes I meant her.

Honestly a lot of good worlds probably won’t come to be because they’re bombs. It’s pretty much the same reason Kida will never ever be a Disney Princess; a film has to gross three times over its production budget just to make it past breakeven. It’s a disappointment though because I’d love to have Morph play and hide Sora’s gummiphone, or see Sora comet sailing with an armor finally on.

Soldier

Awards
Oh my god, I’m so sorry for the confusion, but I also had a good laugh.😆 I thought “giant singing fish” was a dead giveaway for Ariel, but yes I meant her.

Honestly a lot of good worlds probably won’t come to be because they’re bombs. It’s pretty much the same reason Kida will never ever be a Disney Princess; a film has to gross three times over its production budget just to make it past breakeven. It’s a disappointment though because I’d love to have Morph play and hide Sora’s gummiphone, or see Sora comet sailing with an armor finally on.
Ariel is not a giant, plain and simple.
While I do understand the reasoning and feel the same (though I'm partial to brother bear for setting alone), it's unfortunately not up to us. If a movie's big and made by Disney, it has a chance.

Awards
I really hope it makes an appearance in a future KH game. It’s such a terrific story and so underrated. Skysurfing would be a great gameplay element. It would also be fit for a cameo from Balthier and Fran.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I really hope it makes an appearance in a future KH game. It’s such a terrific story and so underrated. Skysurfing would be a great gameplay element. It would also be fit for a cameo from Balthier and Fran.

Merged your topic into the Treasure Planet discussion which already existed and was about two threads down from your own lol

Back