• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Traverse Town Tabloids #1: Is Nintendo banking on the Success of Kingdom Hearts?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

dick to a lot of people
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Is Nintendo banking on the Success of Kingdom Hearts?

The Kingdom Hearts series finally looks to be making its grand Nintendo DS debut in North America this September. Already selling over half a mission copies in Japan (as of this writing making it the fourth highest selling game this year), the game reaffirmed the selling power of the odd and sometimes awkward combination of Square and Disney. Now the game is making its way stateside. However, the sales of the game look to be not just a test for Square Enix, but one of Nintendo and its handheld platform’s viability to sell third party products as well.

It was unsurprising that both Square Enix and Kingdom Hearts got prime coverage during Nintendo’s Press Conference. The Kingdom Hearts series is quickly becoming the dominant JRPG Franchise in North America, already rivaling the ranks of Final Fantasy. For Nintendo, having an exclusive version of this acclaimed franchise on their handheld was a blessing, especially around the launch of the Nintendo DSi. In fact, Square Enix’s almost relentless support of the DS in itself is quite a blessing, as software has not been selling like some would hope from a console pushing PS2 like hardware sales.

It seems many in the development community have lost faith in supporting Nintendo systems with their most coveted titles. Many, Nintendo included, were hoping that the release and intended success of bigger titles on the system would increase development on the platform. It was only last year’s press conference where Nintendo debuted Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars, another major franchise exclusively for the Nintendo DS. Fan base and media alike jumped on the potential, the best selling game series of all time on the best selling game console of all time, opening up the Nintendo DS to a new base of eager players, thus allowing development to thrive.

Sadly, this never occurred. Despite the fact that the title had a decent marketing push, along with the highest review scores of any DS game to date, it only pulled average numbers. While it’s true that the DS’ ability to sell games over time has not been tried yet with this release, it nonetheless did not pull the numbers or cause a spark in software sales that everyone was expecting, disappointing many worldwide publishers, who wanted to take advantage of this possible growth for the platform.

And this year, it appears as if Kingdom Hearts was the highlighted, core, third party game. It does have much more going for it however, including its all ages mass appeal, its dedicated fans who tend to buy and support any console their precious titles are on, as well as the built up Square Enix DS game buying base. For Nintendo, this title selling well compared to the series’ other handheld release could easily mean a continuation of the franchise on Nintendo platforms, including the Wii, as well as reaffirmed faith with the development community that quality titles and mainstream third party releases can indeed sell on Nintendo platforms. Only time will tell!

A

Audo

Eh, i think the problem with GTA probably rested with its rating.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
its dedicated fans who tend to buy and support any console their precious titles are on

We already know we're suckers :I why rub it in our faces?

For Nintendo, this title selling well compared to the series’ other handheld release could easily mean a continuation of the franchise on Nintendo platforms, including the Wii

Oh gods no x_x

Firo

Oh Crap
For Nintendo, this title selling well compared to the series’ other handheld release could easily mean a continuation of the franchise on Nintendo platforms, including the Wii
If KH goes to the Wii I think it wouldn't do as well on the other platforms. No hate directed at the Wii, but I can't see the gameplay working with the wii-mote.

A

Audo

The truth of the matter is that you don't ACTUALLY know if the Wii would "ruin" KH because you don't know how they would go about putting it on the Wii. So, really, everyone should just hold their tongues in that regard.

Raynie

a Mean cycle, Sir
Website
zombiekunoichi.deviantart.com
Why is almost everyone hating on the prospect of KH coming to Wii? 0: Honestly, I'd like to see how much they change the gameplay to coincide with the Wiimote if it ever does happen.

They will surely have to change it somehow. Also, how would bringing KH to the Wii ruin it anyway? They're going to try to expand the market for KH even more, bringing it to the Wii wouldn't hurt it at all unless you count if sales go utterly bad, which I doubt.

Even more kids will play it, in my opinion. O:

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
I kind of think it'd be interesting if you'd look at it in other prospects and not just as some the same way you see it. I'm referring to KH coming to the Wii. I don't think it'd be a bad idea now I read the reason above my post. And plus, it would help them make more money/expand right? Oh wait, I think that was already said. My bad but what's wrong with it coming to the Wii?

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
it would be nice if kingdom hearts was multi-platform. it would bring a larger audience. we don't even know what the gameplay will be like on the wii so we shouldn't judge square enix right away. it's square enix, they could pull it off somehow. are people arguing over consoles because of their fanboyishness of their favorite console(s) ? that's not a really good reason.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
The truth of the matter is that you don't ACTUALLY know if the Wii would "ruin" KH because you don't know how they would go about putting it on the Wii. So, really, everyone should just hold their tongues in that regard.

^

Whenever "Kingdom Hearts" and "Wii" are thrown together in the same sentence people tend to think of Twilight Princess. The thing is that that game had a total of six months in which to implement Wii controls, it was just an afterthought. I think a lot more could be done with a title like Kingdom Hearts if there was more time and if it was part of the project from the get-go.

We don't know what kind of things Square-Enix would do with the platform until we gave it a chance. S-E fucks up just like everyone else, but they're great developers nonetheless. I have faith that they can make a good, enjoyable Kingdom Hearts game for the system. It wouldn't even have to be Kingdom Hearts 3, just a side story or something similar would be plenty enough to show what Square-Enix can accomplish on the platform.

SuperSailorEarth

For all those worried about game control on the wii, you do know that it has ways you can control it similar to the PS2/3 right? With the nuchuck attached, it has a similar number of buttons as the PS2 (and I think the PS3) controllers. If you use the "classic controller" it has the exact SAME amount of buttons as the PS2 controller, except the left directional pad is a joystick (which would allow even MORE flexibility to controls!). You also have the versatility to use a gamecube controler, if you so desire. Or they could implement the motion of the Wii mote somewhere, and now with the Wii Motion Plus, put it in 3D space.

Gameplay and controls are adaptable to any system depending on the games needs. Square has made a great series so far, so why can no one give them just a LITTLE faith on a small POSSIBILITY?

Last edited:
I'd be fine with KH on wii, although a classic controller option would make me happy.

I'm sure it would work out alright either way, though.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The reason I'm mostly against it coming to the Wii is because they themselves admitted to trying to stick to the same gameplay style, albeit with variations through the consoles. Much like on the DS where they didn't use the stylus, one would imagine they'd refrain as much as they can from abundantly going Wii-style, and then what's the point to using the Wii, anyway?

Into Oblivion

KH on Wii would be pretty cool. That could do a few different things withe controls. Motion sensing, plain old button smashing, and the could also do classic controller to give it that original KH feel.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
KH for the Wii would be cool if only for the fact that Wii's don't cost as much as PS3s do. :/

canito_q

If KH gets to the Wii, more people will play it. If more people play it, S-E will get more money. If S-E gets more money, then they'll start making better games (or at least they''l use more money on them). If S-E starts making better games (not like they're bad now), then KH3 for PS3 would be great!
Seems good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back