• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Traverse Town Questions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Semihazah

Hi, I'm new here (but I've been coming to the site for more than a year now). I have some questions regarding about how Traverse Town works (This pertains to KH1 and 3D, and I had no idea where to put it).

So I recall reading somewhere that Traverse Town is not an actual world, but a collection of bits and pieces left behind from other worlds, right? If that's true, then why is it still in existence after the door was closed as a Sleeping World? Weren't they worlds that fell into darkness but never woke up?

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Traverse Town is a collection of things left over from old worlds, but it's entirely special. Its purpose is to exist as a shelter to people who have lost their homes, and as such it goes where its needed. Hence why it stays in the Realm of Sleep and why the fourth and fifth district appear out of nowhere with a taste of Shibuya in them.

Pandymint

Awards
Didn't they say, too, that it only exists for those that need it? I might be wrong, maybe misquoting the 'goes where it's needed' bit.

Hovhannes1998

Traverse Town is a collection of things left over from old worlds, but it's entirely special. Its purpose is to exist as a shelter to people who have lost their homes, and as such it goes where its needed. Hence why it stays in the Realm of Sleep and why the fourth and fifth district appear out of nowhere with a taste of Shibuya in them.
That being said, who needed it? I know there was Neku and the gang, but even after playing the game twice, I didn't understand what they were doing there in the first place. Also just to clarify, it existed because Neku and the gang needed right, so how did it end up as a sleeping world. After the first game, how did Neku and the gang (what's the term for them, the gamers?) get there. What is Joshua exactly doing there? I feel like I missed the whole story of Traverse Town because I really didn't understand all those explanations either time I played it. If someone could answer these questions, thanks.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
In-Between Realm worlds exist in both the Waking Realm (for lack of better term) and the Realm of Sleep. This is how the Mysterious Tower, The World that Never Was, and, yes, Traverse Town, are able to appear in the In-Between Realm and the Realm of Sleep simultaneously. So it's not really a question of "How did it end up as a Sleeping World".

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
That being said, who needed it? I know there was Neku and the gang, but even after playing the game twice, I didn't understand what they were doing there in the first place. Also just to clarify, it existed because Neku and the gang needed right, so how did it end up as a sleeping world. After the first game, how did Neku and the gang (what's the term for them, the gamers?) get there. What is Joshua exactly doing there? I feel like I missed the whole story of Traverse Town because I really didn't understand all those explanations either time I played it. If someone could answer these questions, thanks.

Worlds that exist in the realm in-between can exist in the sleeping realm and outside it like Audo said. Because who cares, Nomura magic.

Have you ever played The World Ends With You? Neku and his friends are dead, and Joshua is their world's version of a diety-god-jesus like figure

Joshua took their dreams to Traverse Town in an attempt to keep something of them them alive. In the Realm of Sleep, dreams take on physical form and the players from TWEWY weren't an exception. Joshua hoped that by having their existences acknowledged it'd be enough to give them a second chance at life.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Expanding on Tinny's comments...

They are Players in the Reaper's Game.

Well, first you need to understand that the Shibuya that is in KH3D is not the same Shibuya that is in TWEWY. It is an alternate representation of the world that pretty obviously doesn't follow the events of the original game very closely.

I've hypothesized that it is just one of the many alternate versions of Shibuya that exist since TWEWY has its own multi universe concept in the game

In KH3D, there is an alternate version of Shibuya that exists that seems to end up getting destroyed by the darkness, although the exact when and how remain unknown.

Joshua seems to regret the loss of his world (a stark contrast to TWEWY!Joshua), so he pulls the remnants of it into the Realm of Sleep and uses Rhyme's dreams to manifest those remnants in Traverse Town so he can rebuild it and the people who were lost.

You've played TWEWY, correct?

Hovhannes1998

You know, everything (or most things) make sense now. No, I never played TWEWY. I always thought that the Reaper Game was something Nomura invented. It makes a lot more sense now. I think I'll play TWEWY when I get the chance to comprehend the story in DDD better. Thanks guys.

Tumbleweed

Awards
I'm still quite confused about this world.

To recap what I understand about it:

> Being erased from their own world, the TWEWY gang doesn't exist anymore, except for Joshua whose existence is not on the same level. Determined to save them, he collected their dreams and, thanks to them, he was able to travel to the Unchained Realm/Realm of Sleep. There, Traverse Town appeared for them (for such is its purpose). He then realized that in this Realm, the dreams gain a physical form. In order for the gang to become real again, though, they had to be believed in. This is why Joshua said he "dreamed" Sora up. He needed someone from another Realm to aknowledge them.

> Since they were Players before they were erased, the TWEWY characters are still "in-game", struggling for their survival (at least: they think they are).

> Sora arrives in Traverse Town.

> At this point, I guess, YX appear too and divides the partners by impersonating a Reaper, tricking them into following him to Sora's Dream Traverse Town? This is just my wild guess... Because they couldn't have been separated before Sora's arrival. Joshua is still in the Sleeping World Traverse Town at this moment, but he transitions to Sora's Dream Traverse Town.

> In order to travel from RSTT to SDTT, Joshua uses a portal, using Rhyme's Dreams. But how does this portal work? We do learn later that Shiki and Joshua can use it. What, then, is the condition to use it? If it is to be part of the Sleeping World, then shouldn't Riku be able to use it too? Since he is Sora's Dream Eater? Or does the condition only apply to members of the original Sleeping World?...

> Both RSTT and DSTT are structurally identical. This fact, combined with the idea that time flows differently in RSTT and DSTT are what allows those "Phantom visions" of each other. As observed from a particular point of view, the actions appear to be simultaneous, but they're actually not.

> Sora and Riku do their thing.

> Then, Joshua makes a speech to both of them. Even though, at that moment, he ignores that SDTT is another world altogether with a different flow of time, he is omniscient, which allows him to find Riku and Sora where and when he needs them. As he can't duplicate himself, he just does the same speech twice to Riku and Sora. This is, again, one of these moments that only appear to be simultaneous.

> At this point (because it's the only moment that makes sense), Joshua helps Shiki to cross to the RSTT side. But, why does he leave Beat and Rhyme in SDTT? Is it because at that moment, he still thinks that RSTT and SDTT are versions of the same world?

> Sora then revisits this world. Shortly after that, Joshua confirms that RSTT and SDTT are two different worlds and tells Riku about it. But then: why does he still leave Beat and Rhyme in the "wrong" world?

> Just before Riku's locking of the Keyhole, I imagine Joshua quickly grab Beat and Rhyme to cross them over to the RSTT?

Is any of this correct? I feel that the events of Traverse Town were really poorly explained in the game. Could anyone correct me or shade some light on some of these points? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back