• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Toy Story 4 (2017) - Not a continuation of TS3, standalone

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
Apparently the 'romance' plot they have laid out, is about Woody and Bo Peep. Woody and Buzz adventure out to find her

I don't think that deserves its own movie, sounds perfect for another short though

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Re: Toy Story 4 (2017)

Actually, Anagram, it's not that someone on the team had good sense. This no doubt has been in the planning stages for a long time and this would have been decided way before they announced it. The LA Times even said this idea was concieved two years ago;

In fact, Lasseter's original report in no way mentioned this would only be about Woody and Buzz, it only seemed that way since it was just an announcement with very minimal information;

Today's report revealed;

Where it's implied that the only relevance it has to Toy Story 3 is that it takes place soon after that film in the timeline.

We'll see how things go, if Buzz and Woody have a big part or if it's a brand new set of toys for a new audience, but I have, and have had since the original announcement, faith that this project will be of excellent standard. I don't view sequels as a bad thing, even if they end "perfectly". It's like what Lasseter said;

Incognito is Anagram as the "Gram" ?

Ruby Rose

Wait. Wait. Wait. waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait... "Romantic Comedy"? Pixar? I think I'm finding it hard to grasp the theme here. But this I have to see.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
[video=youtube;_Rx8XN8pJQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rx8XN8pJQs[/video]

Be optimistic, give it a chance, even Mr. Lasseter himself knew the hatred something like this would have.

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
[video=youtube;_Rx8XN8pJQs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rx8XN8pJQs[/video]

Be optimistic, give it a chance, even Mr. Lasseter himself knew the hatred something like this would have.

Even if they decide with a Toy Story 5 and 6 they could actually go with a 360 on the story.

Patricier21

Re: Toy Story 4 (2017)

Pixar would be very proud of the following fan made trailer. They nailed what movie trailers( to sequels especially) should be: Use of archive footage from previous films, great textual narration, and a perfect cherry on top with the "original" (ya i know obviously from some unknown source in this case). I feel like I feel when I watch any Pixar movie trailer: a work of great art supplied by artists with truly great heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW0sjQFpXTU

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
Tom Hanks on Toy Story 4:

[video=youtube;4SDFnYm9lbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SDFnYm9lbk[/video]

Patricier21

I just hope that this film has no weird scenes like in The Good Dinosaur (you'll know what I mean when you see it)

Patricier21

Personally I hope it has all of the weird scenes possible.

Seriously? You want to scar your childhood for life? They don't need to be weird like this to be funny (for either kids or adults) or show character development. All of their past films have been a lot stronger and are probably going to be more successful and memorable because they had the sense to stick with what made sense in the context of the story and the world without creating a new "jump the shark" or "nuke the fridge" phrase. That particular scene could have easily been taken out of the movie without consequence and it would have made it a lot stronger. If they needed a moment like that they could have shown them bonding in a different way instead of being bizarre. That could have been an opportunity to set things up for the third act in a sweet and perhaps unexpected way

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Seriously? You want to scar your childhood for life? They don't need to be weird like this to be funny (for either kids or adults) or show character development. All of their past films have been a lot stronger and are probably going to be more successful and memorable because they had the sense to stick with what made sense in the context of the story and the world without creating a new "jump the shark" or "nuke the fridge" phrase. That particular scene could have easily been taken out of the movie without consequence and it would have made it a lot stronger. If they needed a moment like that they could have shown them bonding in a different way instead of being bizarre. That could have been an opportunity to set things up for the third act in a sweet and perhaps unexpected way
The scene where they're high ?

Shadow Fenix

I 'Member
Awards
I don't even know what to make of this guy anymore lol. That said, once my work settles down I'm definitely gonna check out The Good Dinosaur, been waiting years for it.

Wait this doesn't look like the right thread.. /s

Patricier21

The scene where they're high ?

Sorry that this is out of topic but it is important for people to keep in mind for future Pixar films lest a scene like this should happen again

A fruit scene that is completely out of context and makes no sense whatsoever. Would that really do that to you? It seems as though all of the other elements in every other Pixar film made sense and was completely believable as such but then this comes through. And like I said, considering the movie's mixed reception and currently underperforming box office numbers, that must tell you something. Its not that big of a stretch to suggest that this scene could have tainted people's feelings towards the rest of the movie (even if it actually did get better after this scene), also bringing other complaints about it to a brighter light when otherwise they may have been disregarded.

I cannot believe that anyone would even think that you'd want something like that.They actually had the sense to cut a similar Cars 1 Deleted scene that thankfully got changed to something not only less disturbing but more functional for the story in the final film. Seeing something ridiculously bizarre (not to mention pointless and about as "out there" as you can go) happen to characters that you love just smugs you and makes you never look at them the same way again. There are appropriate ways to tell the story and create humour with it than to resort to bizarre adult referenced humour. They have done that in the past with all of their other films which from the look of things are going to be a lot more successful and memorable then this will be.

It is also unchallenging and unimaginative that they have to result to desperate, bizarre humour just to tell a story. They have discarded these kind of elements from their movies in the past, and all of their movies before now would probably have not been as memorable or celebrated had they kept those elements in. They have created movies that challenged them and brought out the bestow their imaginative thoughts before now. Was the delay in production enough to tear it out of them? Yet, they revamped the entire movie of Toy Story 2 (aka my favourite movie and the movie that made me want to get into making movies (and NOT animated movies for that matter, just movies in general)) in 9 months when it was normally a 4 year process. Here they revamped the entire movie in 2 years and 3 months. What happened? Did they forget the process that they went through and how that film turned out? While others may not like it as much as me, consider the following facts:

Toy Story 2 has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes

It won the Golden Globe for Best Picture (as in for ANY movie in general, period)

It made pretty close to $500 Million at the box office

I've yet to meet one soul (online or not) who was disappointed in it. Even those who normally hate sequels say that they loved this one. "The rare sequel that is just as good or better than its predecessor." I've also met many people who even say that they liked this one better than Toy Story 3 and consider it one of Pixar's best.

Now let's look at The Good Dinosaur:

78% on Rotten Tomatoes (even lower on other critic sites)

Pretty much the lowest opening in Pixar's history (and considering that ticket prices are more expensive and it has the 3-D element, the movie's opening should be higher than the movies which were released in 2D, which were more than half of the previously released ones)

Quite a lot of people (even those that did like it) have called it disappointing or even "meh" and most have agreed that they would have cut this messed up bizarre scene out of the movie.

Bottom line is that Pixar could have challenged themselves and put more imaginative input into this movie like they have in the past. All reviews and reactions that I have seen towards this movie state that they didn't even find that it felt Pixarish.

And by the way, Inside Out earlier this year had the biggest opening (excluding Toy Story 3) of all time for Pixar and the biggest opening for an original movie AND the biggest opening for a second place at the box office movie. It was loved by most and you would think that this fact along with the popularity of dinosaurs, fuelled by the to grossing movie of the year (and the top 3 highest grosser of all time), that it would be enough to make this movie do better and even receive a better acclaim.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

You are taking it way too seriously. Children won't be scarred for life. They won't even remember this scene. They see weirder things on television anyways.

Pixar always has adult humor in their films, though. TS1 especially. That is loaded with sex innuendos and "Buzz Lightbeer".

This scene is barely ever mentioned by reviewers or people who went to see it except in a "what!? they got high!?" way and then forget in lieu of the violence in the film. Nobody is reviewing this film low because of a little acid trip caused by berries.

And uh, hate to tell you this but if you watched 90s cartoons, your childhood was already scarred for life.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Dude.... Dumbo got drunk. And Bambi's Mom got shot. And I think there's drinking in Ratatouille as we'll. And plenty of death and "mature" things in every Pixar movie.

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
You are taking it way too seriously. Children won't be scarred for life. They won't even remember this scene. They see weirder things on television anyways.

Pixar always has adult humor in their films, though. TS1 especially. That is loaded with sex innuendos and "Buzz Lightbeer".

This scene is barely ever mentioned by reviewers or people who went to see it except in a "what!? they got high!?" way and then forget in lieu of the violence in the film. Nobody is reviewing this film low because of a little acid trip caused by berries.

And uh, hate to tell you this but if you watched 90s cartoons, your childhood was already scarred for life.

I double what Master Spockanort said. Pixar intend to make their movies as much for adults as children. That's what distinguishes Disney's animated movies from their contenders. Without satisfying adults, we wouldn't have gotten the UP intro and the complexity of Inside Out.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
The entire theater I was in was howling from laughter at that part so I think it's fine. It's incredibly short and it has context... Toy Story 3 had Buzz with a Spanish mode and that was pretty silly/random.

Back