• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Top 5 Favorite and Least Favorite Musical Themes and KH3 Music Expectations

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
There's a lot of things about this series we love but even those things have there shortcomings (damn you, time travel). But for the most part, the music of the series is generally loved. But even we have are opinions on certain musical pieces. And KH3 won't be the exception. Hopefully its all great to everyone all around but you can't please everyone. So what do you think music will be like for the worlds confirmed/non-confirmed for certain worlds in KH3? What do want Dearly Beloved to sound like? What musical pieces would you like to see return besides the obvious? And what are your Top 5 favorite and least favorite musical pieces of the series and why?

I'll start of course:

1. Dearly Beloved - All of them. There's not one I like more then the others and each one ties into a specific theme of the game and displaying emotions all across the board. It's the theme of the series and you can listen to them for hours.

2. Vector to the Heavens - This was a tough call but it deserves the number two spot for me because the music put into the Dearly Beloved themes is masterfully done. However, that doesn't take away anything from this theme. The ultimate definition of emotional intensity, displaying different themes and emotions all at once. I describe it as a complex monologue told in musical form. It's just brilliant and you feel many different things when listening to it.

3. Sora's Sacrifice - Happiness mixed with Sadness. Kind of like... the acceptance of death but done in a way where you feel happy and sad. I don't think any other song in the series blends those two emotions and this theme incredibly well then this song right here. I think most people would generally feel sad playing this song but I don't. Maybe it's because of Sora's smile, I don't know but this has always stuck as that.

4. Rage Awakened - The Ultimate Battle. That's what I get from this. Whenever I'm in an intense battle in any KH game, I play this song because I think it fits perfect with any type of battle. You feel as if you are about to face the ultimate. It'll be hard, it'll be ball busting, but your confident you'll win the day. And that damn beginning... so sick.

5. Ventus - The Perfect lullaby song. Just... Peaceful. You feel peacefulness when you hear it. I never get that from a lot of KH music. The way the music moves make you want to fall asleep with a smile on your face.

Least favorites:

I have none. I think they're all pretty damn good besides KH2 vanilla POTC.

Last edited:

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
MOST FAVOURITE:
-Dark Impetus. DEM VIOLINS BABY.

LEAST FAVOURITE:
-Vector to the Heavens. Sounds like five different songs noisily being played simultaneously. I do not understand people's love obsession with this song.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
My list will probably change everytime that I think of it, so here's what I'm feeling right now (in no particular order):
1) Enchanted Dominion (BBS)
2) Dark Impetus (BBS)
3) The Other Promise (KH2.5 HD ReMIX)
4) Vector To The Heavens (KH1.5 HD ReMIX)
5) Musique pour la Tristesse de Xion (KH1.5 HD ReMIX)

I'm thinking of some KH songs that I didn't like, it's really hard because there's none really, but maybe...
1) He's a Pirate (KH2)

Muke

whatever
Awards
Most favourite:
- Tension Rising
- Showdown at Hollow Bastion
- The other Promise

Least Favourite:
- Vector to the Heavens
Basically what Audo said. 5 songs at the same time.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
In terms of KH3 music, I just want Yoko to pull out all the stops. Make it her best work for the series yet. She's amazing at what she does, so I'm sure it'll be great, but I want her to really go to the reaches of her musical talent and make a soundtrack for KH3 that just absolutely tugs on all of our feels. Particularly, I want the KH3 Dearly Beloved to be better than the KH2 one (that'll be really hard) and I want the final battle song to be out of this world awesome. I have high expectations for the KH3 soundtrack.

This'll be hard to narrow down, since I like the Kingdom Hearts series' music more than most proper bands and such, but I'll give it a go.

Favorite:

- Dearly Beloved. Honestly one of my favorite songs ever in the whole world. The KH2 version is specifically my favorite, but the melody in general, of all versions, is absolutely incredible

- Hikari Orchestral Version: Utada's song is amazing, but the Kingdom Orchestra really made their rendition of it something special. The orchestral adaptation they did is incredible and I think actually surpasses Utada's original song.

-L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto: The song that plays during the Xemans boss fight in Dream Drop Distance is amazing. The intro alone is awe inspiring for me, but the song as whole is just...agh. It's some of Yoko's best work.

-Darkness of the Unknown: Because the final boss fight against Xemnas is so nostalgic for me, this song is equally as well. Particularly the beginning section when you're fighting Dragon Xemnas. That melody is really really great.

Least Favorite:

I really don't have any. There's a reason I own every soundtrack on CD, even that uber expensive Complete box set. Seriously, I even love the Dream Eater theme song. I remember the first time I heard it I was like "Wtf is this!?" and then eventually I grew to love how bubblegum poppy ridiculous it sounds and now it's actually one of my favorite KH tracks because it makes me laugh every time.

Wander

In no particular order

Favorites:
-Dismiss, the one from BBS's final episode is my favorite of all the Xehanort themes.

-The Other Promise (Piano Collection), favorite version of this theme, I like it slightly more than the Drammatica version. Both sound so much more haunting than the version in the games.

-Ventus, it's really calming and slightly sad, I really like the build up. Actually most of Yoko's music has really good build up.

-Lord of the Castle, best thing to come out of Re:CoM.

-Hikari Orchestrated, absolute classic. 3D's opening cutscene always makes me smile a little bit, a big part of it is this theme playing in the background.

aqualight

I'm not sure about my favourite music, since if i do listen to it i usually go for Dearly beloved or some of the character themes, especially Roxas's, Xion's, Aqua's and Ventus's. But i know there's a lot more KH music that i absolutely love, i just can't remember them usually so they go away.

But least favourite? God, pretty much every world i spend a lot of time in so it gets annoying.

For Example, i feel like listening to magical mystery will just give me a headache (i'm listening to it while writing this... ow.)

(i'll probably edit this when i can think of more)

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Dam, that's not an easy question but I'll try it
best:
1. The Other Promise (the only one that was easy to place on the list as my favorite)
2. Vector to the Heavens
3. Kairi (the music box version is my favorite)
4. Hikari Orchestral
5. Riku... no, Musique pour la Tristesse de Xion... no, Roxas... no, Dark Impetus... idk, to much goodness to choose from

Worst:
0. Doesn't really count as a soundtrack but damn that annoying search for bug music in ReCoded
1. Every Gummi Ship theme but if I have to pick one I go for the over world tune in KHII
2. Agrabah (A day in Agrabah?)
3. Something from ReCoded (might be even higher, I just remember I didn't like it)
4. There are some boring ones like the one playing in Deep Jungle I think but I can't think of anything in particular
5. The cute dream eater theme, I've gotten used to it now and almost learned to appreciate it but I hated it at first (la la la la la la...)

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I'm leaving out the main themes (Hikari/Passion) and the end credit music, otherwise that would be everything for me.

Favorites:

Kairi III
Isn’t It Lovely?
Organization XIII
Roxas
Friends in My Heart
Just Wondering
La Pace
Namine
Ever After

Least Favorite:

The Home of Dragons
Adventures in the Savannah
Cavern of Remembrance
Lazy Afternoons
Sweet Spirits

hemmoheikkinen

Dear Kafka
Awards
For me, one of the reason why I like Vector to The Heavens so much relates to Audo`s point. While it can bee seen as a negative point, I think it makes the song more interesting. Vector to the Heavens is constructed by having familiar tunes form past songs integrated into it, so in way I think it is a metaphor for Xion. She is compilation being constructed from different memories, so Vector to the Heavens mimics this part about her. But, while VttH has these familiar tunes in it, it still manages to sound like it`s own song, so in way the song has it`s own identity. So like Xion who is made by bunch of different memories, she manages to create her own identity and sense of self in the end of Days. But yeah, that was just my two cents regarding the matter. I shall write my own top 5 later. Dam it`s going to be hard.

Maverick-flame

Website
fission-firaga.tumblr.com
Favorites:
1) Traverse town theme (I'm surprised not to see this on here already)
2) Dearly Beloved (BBS and KH2 are tied for me)
3) The Other Promise (Not the 2.5 edition though)
4) Vector to the Heavens
5) Destiny's Union

Least Favorites
1) Pirates of the Caribbean theme
2) A day in Agrabah
3) I can't think of any others...yay

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
For me, one of the reason why I like Vector to The Heavens so much relates to Audo`s point. While it can bee seen as a negative point, I think it makes the song more interesting. Vector to the Heavens is constructed by having familiar tunes form past songs integrated into it, so in way I think it is a metaphor for Xion. She is compilation being constructed from different memories, so Vector to the Heavens mimics this part about her. But, while VttH has these familiar tunes in it, it still manages to sound like it`s own song, so in way the song has it`s own identity. So like Xion who is made by bunch of different memories, she manages to create her own identity and sense of self in the end of Days. But yeah, that was just my two cents regarding the matter. I shall write my own top 5 later. Dam it`s going to be hard.

Well the whole reason the song is like that is because it's supposed to be all about Xion/Sora. The name itself Vector (a coordinate/path) to the Heavens (sky). Sora's name represents the sky, so to me the song is supposed to be this culmination of memories pouring out of Xion and finding their way back to Sora. To me, that's the beauty of the song.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
Its funny because playing Days I thought Vector to the Heavens was supposed to sound like a mess. On the DS the sounds make it feel hurried and all over the place, like the memories that Xion's took. I like it.

I don't really dislike anything musical wise from KH. I will say that Simple and Clean and Sanctuary don't sound that amazing to me anymore to due over saturation. Hikari orchestrated on the other hand still sounds amazing.

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
Top 5 favorites:

1: Night of Fate (Nostalgic, memorable, and beautiful track)

2: Xion's theme

3: Dearly Beloved Re:Coded version

4: Sanctuary

5: Sora's theme

Least favorties:

Every song in Atlantica that wasn't in The Little Mermaid.

Harmonie

Crazy Woodwind Lady
Awards
The Silent Forest (BBS) has been my favorite for quite some time. I also really like Black Garden from BBS and pretty much any of the fighting themes from KHII. Traverse Town is also up there - especially the RE:CoM version for some reason? Xion's theme in the 1.5 Remix is great, too! Ooh, can't forget the Blast Away! Gummi Ship III from 1.5!

I don't really have any particular least favorites. Nothing's coming to mind.

What I want for KHIII? Hm... Just more Yoko goodness. More oboe and English horn, too, because they are very beautiful instruments and she uses them very well in her compositions.

Last edited:

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
How do you expect me to do this when there are so many good songs to choose from?! Aaah... Okay, in no particular order...

- Darkness of the Unknown. All three parts, but I particularly love the first two. Piano and violins intensify, plus all them memories to go with it. I could listen to the second part for a very long time. This song's my go-to for "great boss battle music."

- Hikari (orchestrated). I remember going to a concert of orchestrated video game music. The guy on the stage started quoting Walt Disney, and then started talking about something loved by both Disney and video game fans... then the music started. Can I just say that this version of the song encompasses the essence of Disney magic and SE brilliance in one original masterpiece?

- Kairi (all versions). While the character's always getting bashed, I'd say her theme is excellent in all the versions and instances it has been used. Best out of the SRK trio, I'd say. (Maybe even ALL of the trios, because it's the only good one that isn't always melancholy or depressing.) Music box version is particularly haunting, though.

- Scherzo de Notte (all versions). Whether it's the classic from KH1, BBS's more percussive version, or KHII's theme for mass epic battles, this one has remained one awesome battle theme.

- Dearly Beloved. All of em. What can I say that hasn't been said before? I loved the theme the first time I heard it, while playing Re:Coded. Each one has something unique to it that often alludes to a central theme or idea in the game (ex: Days is about that "other side of the story" and starts with the secondary melody instead of the first; DDD is a dreamy kind of waltz; II is similar to the first but adds more to the song) and they all stay really, really pretty.

- Destati. Whether it's playing in an abyssal nightmare, the literal End of the World, or just the usual Dive Into the Heart, this one has stayed iconic, eerie, and haunting to the end.

Honorable mentions go to "Lazy Afternoon," "Night of Fate," "Forze de Male," and almost everything else...

Least favorites now. This won't be much easier.

- He's a Pirate (original version). Before the 2.5 remix swooped in and gave us something that sounded straight out of the movie (in a good way), Port Royal's battle theme really didn't do its source material justice.

- Rage Awakened. I know, I know, it is a good song. It's just that I couldn't beat stupid Terranort, and hearing it brings back some bad memories.

- Agrabah (regular and battle themes). I think I've been to this place too many times and have had to crawl through too many Caves of Wonder. It really wore out eventually.

- Whatever plays during those debugging stages in Re:Coded. They weren't stellar to begin with, and now they bring back some bad memories of Eliminators. Eugh.

- Castle of Dreams. The regular theme, anyways, because the battle theme wasn't bad at all. I mean, I have nothing against Bibbity-Bobbity-Boo, but hearing it loop so many times... no. I can't, not even with a Cinderella-heavy childhood.

Now, what I expect for KHIII? I expect Shimomura to keep being the musical goddess that she has always been. Anything less would be inadequate.

namine_ftw

One thing I can always count on this series to have is beautiful music. Picking my top five was really, REALLY tough. Here are the ones I cam up with, in no particular order:

Enter the Darkness- Love this one. Really intense and fast-paced. I like how you can hear traces of Ven and Sora's theme throughout.
Fate of the Unknown/Rage Awakened (I'm kind of cheating here, but ehh)- It's an epic song overall, and and makes me feel all nostalgic.
Kairi -All versions are great. My favorite is the third (the music box one).
Dark Impetus- Wonderful. I love the violins.
Dearly Beloved- A classic for a reason.
EDIT: I totally forgot about Eternal Moments/At Dusk, I'll Think of You!!! Hmm, in that case I'll have to take out Dark Impetus and add that one instead.

Least Favorite

A Day in Agrabah. It didn't bother me in KH1, but going back to it again and again...
He's a Pirate (original version only). The original was a pale imitation; the new one is A LOT better.

I don't really hate any of the songs honestly.

Last edited:

Rosebudx

Awards
Ooh, tough question! Here goes the pondering...

Favorites:

1) Dearly Beloved (especially KH1&2 Reprises and the bit from BBS's A Link to the Future): I love all the renditions of this song, but the versions at the end of the two main titles and BBS have special places in my heart. The first two perfectly get across the feeling of the weariness a warrior feels after a long war and the happiness that comes with winning said war, and are nothing but one simple piano playing quietly. BBS, meanwhile, caps off the credit song with a new version of Dearly Beloved, and it is full of brass and strings and overall matches the tone of the ending: tragic. I guess you could say that, to me, these three are dearly beloved. /gigglesnort

2) Always on My Mind (KH1): This is a really good composite of some of my favorite themes (Friends in My Heart, Kairi, and Dearly Beloved), but even more than that it goes so beautifully with the scene it was written for (very end of Kingdom Hearts, as they shut the door) and always makes me cry. Going off of the original game, this is my absolute favorite, but I took it down because of the 1.5 remix of the song; in order to throw the extra scenes with Riku into the mix, they extended Kairi's theme. The original just was perfectly timed with each theme: starts off with Friends in My Heart as we said goodbye to Riku and Mickey, then flows briefly into a gorgeous version of Dearly Beloved as the door is sealed; and finally, a haunting version of Kairi's theme pops up as Kairi herself appears. Extending the theme to Riku flashbacks ruined the moment somewhat.

3) Eternal Moments (BBS)/At Dusk, I'll Think of You(Days): These are both the themes of Axel/Lea's friendships, and although I love both of them they are best "viewed" as a set. Eternal Moments is sweet and a little more peaceful (both are non-raucous, though), but feels just a little incomplete somehow. At Dusk, I'll Think of You, on the other hand, is a little harsher and comes across as just a touch bitter to the ears, but the music surrounding the main theme feels more complete. They are greatly symbolic of Lea's transformation to Axel and all that went with it: as a boy, he and Isa were happily best buds, but both were afflicted with a case of adventurelust and always wanted something more to do; by the time Axel met Roxas and Xion, his friendship with Isa had floundered into nothing, but Axel was basically happy and content to have his friends with him, only seeking to complete his duties and hang with them. A great story is told by these songs.

4) Kairi III (KH1): I love all versions of Kairi's theme, but this music box version is my favorite. It's beautifully sad, especially when compared to the first two versions, which all involve guitar and feel a bit more tropical. This captures Kairi's personality and story the best for me.

5) A bunch of roughly tied ones (in no particular order): the softer version of Destiny's Islands heard at the end of KH2, Hollow Bastion (KH1), Traverse Town (KH1), Lazy Afternoons (the Piano Collection version is my alarm's song, actually), Missing You (KH2), Musique pour la tristesse de Xion (Days), Destati (Various) Destiny's Union (BBS), Daydream Upon Neverland (BBS), Ever After (DDD) Hikari and Passion (all versions), Sacred Moon (KH2), Riku (KH2), Sora (KH2), Ventus (BBS), Aqua (BBS), Terra (BBS), Namine (CoM), and A Walk in Andante (KH1 and 2).

Least Favorites:

1) He's a Pirate (KH2): Unoriginal and not even as good as the original
2) Under the Sea (KH1): ^^^
3) Pretty Pretty Abilities (Re: Coded): This title is a misnomer. I always turned off my music when this song came on, because it literally hurts my ears.
4) The Escapade (KH2): This song reminds me of all the lost hours trying to complete every mission in Twilight Town as a kid, and it's annoyingly repetitive.
5) To Our Surprise (KH1): This is the battle theme from Wonderland, which is a world that I just...hate, with a passion. I always died during mook battles here when I was a kid, and to this day the song sounds like it's taunting me. Honestly, the song itself isn't that bad, but...ugh, memories.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
Its funny because playing Days I thought Vector to the Heavens was supposed to sound like a mess. On the DS the sounds make it feel hurried and all over the place, like the memories that Xion's took. I like it.
Oh, I'm sure it's intentional. I just don't think the end result sounds good. /shrug

namine_ftw

3) Eternal Moments (BBS)/At Dusk, I'll Think of You(Days): These are both the themes of Axel/Lea's friendships, and although I love both of them they are best "viewed" as a set. Eternal Moments is sweet and a little more peaceful (both are non-raucous, though), but feels just a little incomplete somehow. At Dusk, I'll Think of You, on the other hand, is a little harsher and comes across as just a touch bitter to the ears, but the music surrounding the main theme feels more complete. They are greatly symbolic of Lea's transformation to Axel and all that went with it: as a boy, he and Isa were happily best buds, but both were afflicted with a case of adventurelust and always wanted something more to do; by the time Axel met Roxas and Xion, his friendship with Isa had floundered into nothing, but Axel was basically happy and content to have his friends with him, only seeking to complete his duties and hang with them. A great story is told by these songs.
DAMMIT I knew there was one that I forgot! I love both of those themes so much. Heartwarming/heartbreaking, depending on how you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back