• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Too many characters now?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Obiewantsanipod

I really hope that we dont have some reincarnation going on. We already have enough memes with everyone being either a Sora or a Nort (and now a Riku too), there is no need to make the foretellers known characters too. (Also they behave way too different imo to be them and look different too)

The only believeable theory for me right now is Ava being either an anchestor to Kairi or even her grandmother.
It would also kinda mean that these characters were screwed no matter what and had no way out of what's planned for them. Except Sora, since he's supposed to be ordinary in terms of prophecy. And I'd imagine everyone else that currently exists due to Sora would also be excluded in that as well, unless some weird stuff is going on. Idunno. I think connections would be better, and not the Foretellers literally being already established characters, but we'll see.

I was always under the impression that they were intended to be reincarnations initially. But after the clusterfuck of characters we got out of other characters Nomura decided to take a different route. Obviously I have no way to prove this.

Also, while I do look forward to seeing the foretellers fleshed out as characters, I have no interest in seeing what's underneath the mask. I don't mind if their faces are never revealed.

Veevee

Awards
I really hope that we dont have some reincarnation going on. We already have enough memes with everyone being either a Sora or a Nort (and now a Riku too), there is no need to make the foretellers known characters too. (Also they behave way too different imo to be them and look different too)

The only believeable theory for me right now is Ava being either an anchestor to Kairi or even her grandmother.

Totally support this. I wish Nomura would focus less on making those damn "haha! This character was actually that character!" and "this character is actually from a completely different timeline" twists and more on actually giving some characters an actual backstory. For example, Braig being Luxu doesn't give either of them more backstory because we know next to nothing about Luxu. Also it feels kinda redundant because new characters are not really new characters when they are actually someone else..

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Ideally, we should only be working with Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, Kairi, and Mickey as our core main character cast. Roxas, Aqua, and Axel can come and go as they please due to their appeal and popularity. Ven, Terra, Xion, Namine, Ansem The Boring, and misc. scientists he works with should be pretty much phased out imo

Alpha Baymax

On a scale of α to ζ.
Awards
I just don't see why they don't just start having original characters joining Sora in Disney worlds now. Why must the original characters need to stay regulated to mainly original worlds, because of that they can only get so much screentime.

Not much usually happens in Disney worlds anyway, and with complaints of them still feeling like filler etc at least using them for more development/screentime for the original cast seems like a pretty good idea going forward when you have so many characters now.

You raise a valid point... especially when you consider the fact that the original Kingdom Hearts characters who were considered as villains visited Disney worlds, and Terra, Ventus and Aqua are no strangers to interacting with the Walt Disney Animation cast either.

Hopefully, this becomes a thing, with Aqua tagging along with Sora in the Moana world or Roxas tagging along with Sora in a Coco world as hypothetical examples. Like you said, there's only so much exposition an original world can provide for characters.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I was always under the impression that they were intended to be reincarnations initially. But after the clusterfuck of characters we got out of other characters Nomura decided to take a different route. Obviously I have no way to prove this.

Also, while I do look forward to seeing the foretellers fleshed out as characters, I have no interest in seeing what's underneath the mask. I don't mind if their faces are never revealed.

When I see Back Cover, I get the idea that there definitely were similarities and something was going on there. But who knows where he might take it now.

It's kinda like how before the KH2FM Secret Movie was released, people thought the three Keyblade wielders were Sora, Kairi and Riku. Then we see the BBS movie and we didn't know who they were, we thought Ven was Roxas, but how? And that maybe it was Sora and Kairi in the future (even though Terra has a completely different hair style and Aqua has blue hair lmao).

A connection exists, but where that leads, who knows. I don't think we have enough to go on yet.

Perkilator

Awards
Totally support this. I wish Nomura would focus less on making those damn "haha! This character was actually that character!" and "this character is actually from a completely different timeline" twists and more on actually giving some characters an actual backstory. For example, Braig being Luxu doesn't give either of them more backstory because we know next to nothing about Luxu. Also it feels kinda redundant because new characters are not really new characters when they are actually someone else..
I could take Braig becoming Luxu, despite us knowing next to nothing about the latter (at least it’s not the MoM), but at this point, I’d rather the Foretellers never take off their masks than if they took them off and turned out to be characters we already know.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I never got the "too many characters" complaint in Kingdom Hearts. It just feels that way because the story has terrible pacing issues. If you axed the Disney stuff from Kingdom Hearts 3 and replaced it with the original characters stuff then you'd have more then enough screentime for every OC in the series thus far.

I've been spoiled with all the games so I could never go back to just Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, Kairi, and Mickey, as much as I like them all. Knowing that characters like Roxas, Aqua, Terra, Axel, Xion, Namine, Ventus, Isa, Ansem, Xigbar and so on are out there, and I would no longer be able to see them again because there are "too many characters" would be a massive turnoff for me and would probably not get me hyped for the future of the series. I don't care about the story or the lore. I play the games for the characters and their friendships. If I'm not getting that then why would I play?

KH just needs better pacing and get the Disney stuff more involved with the ongoing plot. If they are being restricted by Disney and Pixar then hopefully they can work something out. I'd much rather have more time to get Namine in the actual game then play a poorly done version of Frozen. I love the Disney aspect of KH, its part of the charm but they need to flow better and not feel like hours of filler before the rushed finale.

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I never got the "too many characters" complaint in Kingdom Hearts. It just feels that way because the story has terrible pacing issues. If you axed the Disney stuff from Kingdom Hearts 3 and replaced it with the original characters stuff then you'd have more then enough screentime for every OC in the series thus far.

I've been spoiled with all the games so I could never go back to just Sora, Donald, Goofy, Riku, Kairi, and Mickey, as much as I like them all. Knowing that characters like Roxas, Aqua, Terra, Axel, Xion, Namine, Ventus, Isa, Ansem, Xigbar and so on are out there, and I would no longer be able to see them again because there are "too many characters" would be a massive turnoff for me and would probably not get me hyped for the future of the series. I don't care about the story or the lore. I play the games for the characters and their friendships. If I'm not getting that then why would I play?

KH just needs better pacing and get the Disney stuff more involved with the ongoing plot. If they are being restricted by Disney and Pixar then hopefully they can work something out. I'd much rather have more time to get Namine in the actual game then play a poorly done version of Frozen. I love the Disney aspect of KH, its part of the charm but they need to flow better and not feel like hours of filler before the rushed finale.
Yeah, the only reason KH3 struggled with its cast is because Nomura failed to properly pace the timing of key events and integrate big character moments into the overarching narrative. He obviously didn't have a vision for how most of the main characters would contribute to the conclusion of this saga (which is bonkers considering how their actions and sacrifices form the entire narrative basis for it), so he haphazardly dumped them all into the backend of the script so that he wouldn't have to do the important work of navigating how and where they would play into the major dramatic movements of the plot as it was developing. Ensembles are nothing new to storytelling, it just takes someone who is motivated and interested enough in their own characters to figure out where they fit in the story, which is just a question of identifying or expanding what their core conflicts are and how they can best seek/achieve resolution. The message that Nomura's choices as a writer send is that these characters' stories don't really matter (i.e. they are dramatically less weighty and deserving of attention than the Disney fluff), but he knew the characters themselves were expected, so he jerryrigged a plot that (somehow) wasn't structured to accommodate them and unloaded their narrative arcs in the most superficial manner possible as a means of clearing the plate -- by feeding the food to the dog under the table. As a result, KH3's ensemble is left thoroughly unexplored, which means the characters don't get to earn an ending, which cheats the audience of a firm sense of resolution: it's a cast of characters who are present but unaccounted for.

There's no reason it had to be this way, or that this was somehow inevitable. There's no such thing as "too many characters" for a particular story: a good storyteller will write the story for the number of characters they have. If Nomura's only solution for KH3 was to cut corners on character development, and moving forward he elects to trim the cast by pushing former mains to the sidelines, then it only serves as proof that he never should have written this story the way he chose to, which bears out the warnings many fans of the community have been issuing since the Days/BBS/Coded trilogy and for which they received regular backlash: that these games were cheap spinoffs intended to artificially prolong the life expectancy of the franchise without representing a real, functional purpose in the larger narrative. I was never one of the people who wanted to believe that, and it sucks to have to concede the point, but that's the sum of it. The franchise could have literally just been KH2 ---> DDD ----> KH3, cut out the BBS and Days' exclusive characters, and nothing changes.

Back