• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Too Human Demo Impressions

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manchester Black

Famous for Nothing
Awards
{Now way in hell does this topic deserve it's own thread, but it's not really related to the E3 news so I'll post it here for now, merge it with the regular Microsoft thread after E3}

So, this game's been in development for about a century now. I hear it's been in development longer then DNF, which is REALLY saying something. A demo finally dropped yesterday (On the Xbox Live Marketplace, for those that were unaware), and anyone who was waiting for it (or waiting for it to fail) went apeshit over it. I know I got like four messages on XBL with "OMG 2 HUMAN DEMO OMGZZZZZZZZLOLZ!!!!" (lol sam).

I downloaded it early yesterday morning because, I'll admit, despite the bad press it's gotten, I was pretty excited for it. I don't know why, it just sounded interesting to me.

First off, the demo is pretty long compared to most. I got about an hour of play out of it, and since I find most demos on XBL to be short 20 minute jaunts (with a few exceptions, like BioShock or Battlefield: Bad Company), that's awesome. It introduces you to most of the main mechanics, crafting, the inventory system, the skill tree, charms, runes, all that. The level restrictions on weapons and armor is kind of annoying, but it's something you could easily get used to. Though I don't necessarily understand Runes. Does just having them in your inventory activate them, or do you have to equip them somehow? I tried, but I couldn't figure out how to do that.

My major gripe(s) with gameplay are the lack of camera control and the sword controls. It's mostly a fixed camera. You can set the camera behind you, and it will follow you around, but it's not a free cam like most action games should have (and, really, need to have). The right thumbstick, which SHOULD control the camera, instead controls your sword/staff/hammer. It's cool that you can control how you swing your melee weapon, but it's slow as balls, and the targeting leaves a LOT to be desired. If you thought GTA: SA targeting was bad... Damn, son.

The story... Eh. It's interesting to a point. The fact that Asgard is represented as a corporation, with the various gods being CEOs and such is pretty cool. There's not a whole lot of story outside that, and the fact that you're out to cleanse the world of mechanical beasts, however, but what can you expect? It's a demo. What little story you get does seem somewhat interesting, and in the full game it may actually make you care beyond the "I like to kill things!" mentality. I just find that, in the demo, I couldn't get over that. I don't really care who Baldar was, or who he worked for, or what he was doing. Might just be because I know the demo's short, though.

All in all, I'd say it's a good demo. It won't make you love the game if you already decided you hate it. It didn't really show the epicness you expect fro a game that's been in development for so long. But if you've been waiting for the game forever now, it's a good little taste before it finally comes out next month. Me personally, I'm going to reserve judgment for the final game. Right now I'm a little iffy on it, but I want to give it the benefit of the doubt and hope it can be great.

Any thoughts?

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
I played it, and decided I'm going to buy it. That little demo won me over. :)

And the targeting system isn't as bad as GTA: SA. It's actually quite intuitive. I like it.

Manchester Black

Famous for Nothing
Awards
And the targeting system isn't as bad as GTA: SA. It's actually quite intuitive. I like it.

See, I agree that the targeting for firearms is fine. Nothing wrong with that. But the melee targeting... Blech. Maybe the lack of camera control is what hurts it for me, I don't know. Just didn't like it much.

Honky Sam

lol sup
Awards
I thought the targeting system for guns was a little retarded. I didn't really pay attention to the story in demo, I'll pay attention to that when the game comes out.

I've known I was going to buy this game way before the demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back