• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Anime/Manga ► Tokyo Ghoul

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master_Aqua

Okay so this is my first thread but, omg I'm so glad it's anime/manga related and also since Tokyo Ghoul is one of my favorites hehe. I loved season one and just watched season twos first episode of Tokyo Gould Root A. It was great, for me at least. Also I'm keeping up with its manga. Another thing, I heard that the second season will be that of a parallel version of the manga as it will be different. I would like to view the opinions of others and discuss more about the anime here :D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shawty

Awards
I've been contemplating for a while to start this series, but since I'm not that invested in anime I'm not too sure. The only anime I've watched is Death Note, which I absolutely loved, and some others when I was a kid. From what I know about Tokyo Ghoul is that it's kind of a horror themed anime? I guess my question is what makes it a good show for you? That way I can see if it would be a good fit for me, because I do want to start watching more anime but I have no idea where to begin.

Master_Aqua

Well I am into any anime that people recommend and I'm open to any kind of anime honestly. At first I was eh on the idea of this one however, I started watching it and the horror and gore didn't really bother me that much. Sure it has it but you can focus n other things like the plot and characters, because let me tell you the end of season one was <3 awesome. Season ones opening theme was great and Season two just started January Eight. Season one has only 12 episodes plus the first episode of season two, which leads me to believe that you can catch up on it fairly easy hehe. What makes it a good show for me? Well that's hard to say since it's hard to pick one thing. To sum it all up, the characters, plot, powers (there are humans and Ghouls, ghouls live off of human flesh and a body can last them up to three months. Humans want all ghouls to die and plan to exterminate them for they think they are heartless killers. Though it's hard to detect one because ghouls look like a normal human just that they have their powers that differentiate them called their kagune. Though since they are humans just different in a way, they have feelings so they aren't heartless killers they just do that since it's essential for their survival. Humans just don't understand them or their way of life so they misunderstand the ghouls. Oh and it takes place in Tokyo.) So yeah that's some of the plot and the characters, if you wish to watch the show, are great. I want to say more but I don't want to spoil it for you. I mean I like it, and maybe you will to.

Anagram

Banned
I was thinking of getting into this too. How closely does the anime follow the manga?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
This has been on my back log since forever, literally before the manga even came out, but I've been putting it off for one reason or another. I was going to start with the anime because it's (currently) relatively short, but then I heard the manga was significantly better, so I'll probably start with that.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I was thinking of getting into this too. How closely does the anime follow the manga?
Well, the first season of the anime misses out on a few things [that weren't too major, but I still would've liked to see them] and adds in some others, as well as rearranging a few events.
Root A, on the other hand, is meant to be a brand new story. It still has events from the manga in it though, so that's neat.

And Ruran the manga is significantlybetter, there's things that the anime can't pull off like the manga has.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
I wanted to watch the anime because the animation was so nice but it's a little disappointing to hear that it's not nearly as good as the manga is.

Anagram

Banned
Well, the first season of the anime misses out on a few things [that weren't too major, but I still would've liked to see them] and adds in some others, as well as rearranging a few events.
Root A, on the other hand, is meant to be a brand new story. It still has events from the manga in it though, so that's neat.

And Ruran the manga is significantlybetter, there's things that the anime can't pull off like the manga has.

I see. Looks like I'm doing both then.

Master_Aqua

Yeah so like I said season two will be some sort of parallel version of the manga where season one leaves off. And about the last part I agree, though I don't want to spoil much but when season two started I was hyped and when two characters (two main ones) were supposed to have a really awesome fight, the anime toned it down, added more dialogue, and then the fight stopped midway which sorta disappointed *sigh*.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I was pretty disappointed by that fight actually, if it were the same as the manga's battle I would've re-watched it, like, 103 times.

I do still have faith in A, so I'm going to keep watching it. I'm curious to find out where the season ends.

Anagram

Banned
I am seventeen chapters in hooked instantly. I caught myself thinking about the ghouls point of view as well when one brings up the ghouls treating humans as we treat livestock. That really stuck out to me because I follow Attack on Titan were someone is practically bit in half every few minutes. The Titans are portrayed as monsters who eat for pleasure alone but ghouls are given a very human feel to them which I didn't expect.

It made me wonder how the animals or plants we eat would react if they were aware. Would they call us monsters? Would they fight back the way ghoul investigators do? I'm not sure if it is meant to be looked into that deeply but the story certainly drew me. I feel bad for ghouls because they can't help but eat on the one thing their bodies will accept as food. On the other hand it is highly disturbing to me as a human to imagine a being that lived solely to eat me. So I can also understand the behavior and hatred of the investigators.
Most of all I feel horrible for Keneki. He wasn't born ghoul so he's having to grapple with the ideal of cannibalism to survive.

Last edited:

Master_Aqua

Well I heard that they wanted to do 24 episodes for the second season but then changed it to twelve *Sigh*.

I agree, the concept is very interesting and if you were to look into it differently and deeply, then it has a strong meaning now that you think about it.

Anagram

Banned
I am 39 chapters in now and I can't tell if Keneki is to gullible or that his life and luck just sucks.

Fewer episodes is saddening to hear too.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
Kaneki was just too trusting in the start of TG, but he gets better eventually.

Tokyo Ghoul:re is still building up for something big to happen, can't wait for the next chapter.

Anagram

Banned
I finally watched a bit of the anime. It was one thing to see it in the manga but seeing Ken flip out in the first episode of the anime was more impacting somehow....

Anagram

Banned
So what do you think of its anime, are you fond of it? Also I can agree with what you said.

Well I am on the third episode now and I find it has ups and downs. The pacing feels way off or rushed. Like it gets so far into a scene from the manga then just skips ahead unto a different a chapter or two later which I do not like in the slightest.
The second episode done this the worst so far. The first episode was alright and the third one felt rushed in a few scenes I wish it wasnt.
The upside is there are some parts they do right which is nice to see animated.

I still love the manga though. I can see why some would prefer it.

Anagram

Banned
Agreeable but of course no one can expect everything they read in the manga to be in the anime lol. Some things are unfortunately left out, whether it is short little scenes or some details.

I already know that it's just what they're leaving out that's annoying. I can understand a little censorship or scenes that is skippable but the way it skips around sometimes makes it hard to sit through. It's like they're in a rush to tell the story. Usually things are skipped in a way that doesn't feel rushed or like it is jumping to random points. It's seemless for the most part. The anime for this series isn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back