• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Tips for depression

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Although every person is different, sometimes what helps one person get through depression will help another. Post everything that legitimately helps you when you are depressed. Please, nothing about riding unicorns until your problems go away or any advice like that. Who knows? You just might be able to help someone.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
I was kinda depressed for a while. Martial arts has probably been the best thing that has helped me. Also, recently I've been feeling kinda meh, so I applied to some universities out east (USA). Mostly out of curiosity. I'm at a community college right now and it's pretty lame. I built myself a better portfolio in the past couple years so I think at least on that level I'm doing alright.

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Depression has 3 primary causes - Cognitive problems, Somantic Problems and Environmental Problems. But essentially its the relationship between then which is the big deal.

Somantic issues - chemical imbalances ~ not enough serotonin in the amygdala etc ~ are very rare so unless you have no other reaosn for depression get this checked out.

Cognitive issues is a big one, hence the effectiveness of cognitive behavioral therapy. Anyway very briefly, Beck sites the cognitive triad as a cause for cognitive problems leading to depression. Essentially it should be recognized that it is unusual compared to the population to feel bad about yourself, the future, or the world.

Environmental issues are actual things that would cause you to be depressed. Arguably, evolutionary psychology notes that we don't have anything that we need to worry about for our survival so we worry about seemingly irrelevant things.

As I said before, the best treatment for depression is Cogntive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) Cognitive behavioral therapy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Essentially the goal of CBT is to help people recognize that their thoughts are wrong. Because a lot of depression has to do with overwhelming anxiety its also good to learn relaxation/ breathing techniques.

Acceptance theory is also a great step and should be used as part of a CBT program. Basically you want:
1. recognize - that how you're thinking is wrong
2. Understand - why you're thinking is wrong
3. Accept - accept who you are as a person

Now, obviously this is just an outline. If anyone has any specific problems or just wants to discuss it more or something, I love to talk about psychology, feel free to PM me. O

Oh and I overlooked the very basics: Do not bottle it up, make sure you voice concerns you are having about yourself

theirlosthearts

Awards
I was kinda depressed for a while. Martial arts has probably been the best thing that has helped me.

^^^this^^^ martial arts has caused me to develop some issues, but it has also helped me a lot too, so this is very true.
I love to talk about psychology, feel free to PM me.
it won't let me PM you, i sent a friend request to see if that would work.

inasuma

i'm gonna be
Awards
Because a lot of depression has to do with overwhelming anxiety its also good to learn relaxation/ breathing techniques.
Deep breathing/relaxation won't help you if you're depressed. That's primarily an anxiety treatment technique. CBT will help with depression, but only if the person is depressed "just because."

Anxiety can bring some pretty nasty depression, too. It's probably the worst kind of depression there is in my opinion. =/

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
I rarely talk about my problems but im a person who has Pure OCD,even more serious than normal OCD,and the episodes I go through every FIVE(or so) bonking minutes have seriously made my life a living hell and makes me very depressed.I have considered taking medications but searched online and found out that each have serious side effects with dozens people complaining about it online.I have ruled out going to a Psychiatrist because in our country's very small community,people who need a Psychiatrist are considered insane or crazy which is ridiculous.So only the way is doing the treatment myself (which Ive been trying for years with no success ,btw).

and the problem is that Pure OCD is very different the the normal one since it all happens in the mind,so people don't see me have my episodes,and at times (when it is visible) I manage to hide it pretty well.When I managed to tell my parents they didn't believe me and said that im just overthinking it,but little they know is that I've been experiencing this since I was a child (but didn't actually find out that it was something wrong until about 2-3 years ago) and I KNOW that I have pure OCD.

anyways,I just thought of putting this in this thread since it's related.If you have any suggestions/tips please do tell.

ROXAS_32

Lobo Solitario
Awards
Website
www.twitter.com
- Finding someone to connect with (talking to someone )
- Doing thing you like to do
- doing something out of the norm

theirlosthearts

Awards
I rarely talk about my problems but im a person who has Pure OCD,even more serious than normal OCD,and the episodes I go through every FIVE(or so) bonking minutes have seriously made my life a living @#!*% and makes me very depressed.I have considered taking medications but searched online and found out that each have serious side effects with dozens people complaining about it online.I have ruled out going to a Psychiatrist because in our country's very small community,people who need a Psychiatrist are considered insane or crazy which is ridiculous.So only the way is doing the treatment myself (which Ive been trying for years with no success ,btw).

and the problem is that Pure OCD is very different the the normal one since it all happens in the mind,so people don't see me have my episodes,and at times (when it is visible) I manage to hide it pretty well.When I managed to tell my parents they didn't believe me and said that im just overthinking it,but little they know is that I've been experiencing this since I was a child (but didn't actually find out that it was something wrong until about 2-3 years ago) and I KNOW that I have pure OCD.

anyways,I just thought of putting this in this thread since it's related.If you have any suggestions/tips please do tell.

i used to be a little OCD, but i just grew out of it. i don't know much, but i can listen if you want somebody just to talk to.

Finland

Banshee Queen
Awards
I cry for five minutes, vent to the nearest person and feel better an hour later.

Really though, crying helps me. Letting things out and all. Also talking about it is quite handy, might even open your eyes about things.
Then again I am rarely that depressed.

CaptainMarvelQ8

Bronze Member
Awards
i used to be a little OCD, but i just grew out of it. i don't know much, but i can listen if you want somebody just to talk to.

I appreciate the offer,but I honestly don't think this one is of the kinds that go away just by talking it out,I've actually took up time in writing a diary about this problem but it never proved sufficient.

D

Deleted member 36435

i am emotionally deadened
i only get angry

try that

or alcohol

theirlosthearts

Awards
I appreciate the offer,but I honestly don't think this one is of the kinds that go away just by talking it out,I've actually took up time in writing a diary about this problem but it never proved sufficient.

i didn't mean it would go away. just since you said your parents wouldn't believe you, it can be nice to have someone to talk to who believes you.
that describes me perfectly, i can't get angry anymore, but sometimes i can be emotionally pained

Faris

Perfect Harmony
Deep breathing/relaxation won't help you if you're depressed. That's primarily an anxiety treatment technique. CBT will help with depression, but only if the person is depressed "just because."

Anxiety can bring some pretty nasty depression, too. It's probably the worst kind of depression there is in my opinion. =/

Excatly. CBT is used primarily when it is a cognitive problem, or the just because. Deep breathing/relaxation techniques can to a degree be considered effective though because of the high commodity of Anxiety and Depression. But yes you are right it is an anxiety relieving technique. But honestly virtually every CBT program will use it to kill two birds with one stone, in a sense

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
i only get angry

try that

or alcohol

i know you're prolly joking but alcohol is terrible for depression. you feel phenomenal for a couple hours but then you wake up a few hours later feeling worse than you originally did. it is a depressant after all.

whenever i'm feeling down exercising w/ some music really helps. gotten into the habit this year of going to my school's gym three times a week and it clears my head as well as makes me look good, which of course i already do but now it's like whoaaa haha ladies come on. you have no idea how many times ive had to say "ladies ladies ladies i'm sorry but i'm just not feelin another handjob haha."

Love Machine

strut strut strut
Alcohol is a depressant. Don't do it.

Depression + Alcohol = You're an idiot.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, is focus on the good things about your life; what you are good at, what your hobbies are and what people like about you, and trying to focus on those things.

Shadow Key

Don't get into a relationship until you are fairly stable with your emotions. Oh, and don't rely on your partner to keep you happy. If you do, your relationship is bonked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back