• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Timeless River return

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
No, I think Classic Kingdom is filling that role in KH3. It would be a bit redundant to have both minigames and a world based on old Mickey shorts.

AmaryllisMoth

Awards
I don't know if we will go back, but it is interesting because I was actually thinking that it might still come up or be relevant, especially if we are going to be revisiting issues of time travel.

Everyone gave YX crap for using time travel, but in reality it was Pete who did it first. It makes me wonder if there is some untapped potential in there explaining how Pete was even able to do that in the first place. They sort of just hand-waved it away in KH2 and it always bothered me a bit. Unless, of course, it is operating on the same method that YX used. Just...using a door for some reason.

Empress Mitsuru

Does Timeless River really count as a world in its own right? it's the past of the Disney castle world.

disney233

Awards
I don't trust the wiki. That being said Space Paranoids is a world inside the computer, whereas Timeless River...is just Disney Town in the past. That being said, as creative Timeless is, I don't see it coming back to the series.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
I don't know if we will go back, but it is interesting because I was actually thinking that it might still come up or be relevant, especially if we are going to be revisiting issues of time travel.

Everyone gave YX crap for using time travel, but in reality it was Pete who did it first. It makes me wonder if there is some untapped potential in there explaining how Pete was even able to do that in the first place. They sort of just hand-waved it away in KH2 and it always bothered me a bit. Unless, of course, it is operating on the same method that YX used. Just...using a door for some reason.

It's definitely different, to the point that some don't even refer to going to Timeless River as "time travel".
Timeless River is a stationary "time bubble" fixed in some places (aka you can't step out of the boundaries and going to, say, Land of Dragons during that time period) and is accessed through a door.
Essentially it's the door that "travels" the ages, you just pass through it. That's why Sora can go to a place and time where there was no version of himself to wait for him and he doesn't have to discard his body.
So yeah, it's more of a magical mean than an actual travel through time. I don't even think we can rank Pete as a proper time traveller.

Timeless River was a nice reference, but I don't see it coming back.

TheMostRad

It's definitely different, to the point that some don't even refer to going to Timeless River as "time travel".
Timeless River is a stationary "time bubble" fixed in some places (aka you can't step out of the boundaries and going to, say, Land of Dragons during that time period) and is accessed through a door.
Essentially it's the door that "travels" the ages, you just pass through it. That's why Sora can go to a place and time where there was no version of himself to wait for him and he doesn't have to discard his body.
So yeah, it's more of a magical mean than an actual travel through time. I don't even think we can rank Pete as a proper time traveller.

Timeless River was a nice reference, but I don't see it coming back.

I mean, you might be able to argue that the means of time travel are similar, given that the door to the past conjured by Pete's heart took him only back to a time/place he had already been before, which holds true to the same time travel rules laid down by YX.

Granted, like you mentioned, that theory crumbles a bit when you consider Sora going back to the River having never been there before, but I don't think it's too wild to say the two forms of time/"time travel are at least lightly linked.

Leaferian

Awards
Linked, sure. But there is definitely something unique and special about the doors Pete and Merlin brought forth. For one, the standard method of time travel doesn't allow you to alter the past, but whatever Pete did made that a possibility. Perhaps it's something about the Cornerstone of Light specifically? Perhaps as a magical object that persists throughout time, it is susceptible to that kind of manipulation.

In fact, didn't the Master of Masters say Luxu couldn't have a Book of Prophecies so he wouldn't cause any paradoxes? Based on how time travel is supposed to work, knowing the future shouldn't allow you to change it. Could be that some objects can bend the rules, or even break them.

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Another possibility is that there are different rules for time travel when it comes to the universe as a whole vs specific worlds. The door to The door to Timeless River may be something that is linked specifically to that world. The doors seem to be able to appear in any world, but they all lead to that specific time and place. So I think it’s a contained mechanism of that world.

The time travel rules we see in DDD seem to govern people, specifically, and is a universal thing that anyone, in theory, could take advantage of if they meet the conditions and control when and where they go.

TheMostRad

I wish I had more to contribute than "I concur", but those both sound about right, re: World-Specific time screwery vs. universal personal time funkiness. Leaferian, good callback to the MoM and Luxu in outlining that the past cannot be altered.

redcrown

Awards
No, I think Classic Kingdom is filling that role in KH3. It would be a bit redundant to have both minigames and a world based on old Mickey shorts.

Yeah but Classic Kingdom is a lame 2D Donkey Kong knockoff. Also it's an optional minigame, not a world like Timeless River with actual combat and exploration (or a mandatory section of Disney Castle, if you want to get technical).

I don't see Timeless River itself coming back, but it's possible for other Disney shorts to make an appearance in a similar fashion, like the Mickey Mouse 'Band Concert' short, or one with Mortimer Mouse to give him a cameo. There is a lots of creative opportunity to tap into in this aspect.

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
Yeah but Classic Kingdom is a lame 2D Donkey Kong knockoff. Also it's an optional minigame, not a world like Timeless River with actual combat and exploration (or a mandatory section of Disney Castle, if you want to get technical).

I don't see Timeless River itself coming back, but it's possible for other Disney shorts to make an appearance in a similar way like the Mickey Mouse 'Band Concert' short, or one with Mortimer Mouse to give him a cameo. There's lots of creative opportunity to tap into in this aspect.

I’m not saying that there isn’t more creative opportunity to use the shorts. But I don’t think it’ll happen in this game. Classic Kingdom seems to be all we’re getting and I don’t think we need a classic style world on top of that when there are so many better options. Maybe in a future game.

D

Deleted member 246005

I rather Duckburg or St. Canard makes it in. A section based on a Goofy Movie would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back