• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Time Travel Theory

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theta

Can I just say how much I hate how they introduced time travel in this game. It makes no sense. Its just a convenient set of rules so Xehanort can have thirteen darknesses. Here's a theory:

No time travel actually took place in KH3D. It was all a dream.

And that is essentially my theory. To be a bit less sloppy: The time travel in KH3D was the manipulation of the temporal properties of dreams and the realm of sleep... and then some KH magic. (Think of Final Fantasy X).

Numerous times throughout KH3D one of the characters speaks of how the dream related to the past. It seemed odd to me that these points suggesting that dreams and time travel could be related lead nowhere and time travel just came out of nowhere.

Finally those "rules" for time travel correspond exactly to what we can and cannot do in our dreams
1. One cannot change the past. Obviously you can't dream of an even of the past and change the outcome.
2. One can only travel to a time and place one has been. You aren't going to have a dream of a real event you never heard of or witnessed.
3. After time traveling one forgets the events witnessed. I think it should be clear that this means that those who are taken from the past forget what happened because otherwise the person traveling to the past gets stuck in an infinite loop thinking that they have yet to go to the past and do what needed to be done. With this in mind Young Xehanort wouldn't remember the events that transpired in KH3D because it was only a dream of him that was there. For instance if we dream of someone we know that person will not even be aware that you had a dream of him or her.
4. In order to time travel one must leave the body behind. You don't walk around in your dreams with any physical body.

Finally if you apply however much logic was in the games prior to KH3D I think most issues resolve themselves.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

khspartan14

Can I just say how much I hate how they introduced time travel in this game. It makes no sense. Its just a convenient set of rules so Xehanort can have thirteen darknesses. Here's a theory:

No time travel actually took place in KH3D. It was all a dream.

And that is essentially my theory. To be a bit less sloppy: The time travel in KH3D was the manipulation of the temporal properties of dreams and the realm of sleep... and then some KH magic. (Think of Final Fantasy X).

Numerous times throughout KH3D one of the characters speaks of how the dream related to the past. It seemed odd to me that these points suggesting that dreams and time travel could be related lead nowhere and time travel just came out of nowhere.

Finally those "rules" for time travel correspond exactly to what we can and cannot do in our dreams
1. One cannot change the past. Obviously you can't dream of an even of the past and change the outcome.
2. One can only travel to a time and place one has been. You aren't going to have a dream of a real event you never heard of or witnessed.
3. After time traveling one forgets the events witnessed. I think it should be clear that this means that those who are taken from the past forget what happened because otherwise the person traveling to the past gets stuck in an infinite loop thinking that they have yet to go to the past and do what needed to be done. With this in mind Young Xehanort wouldn't remember the events that transpired in KH3D because it was only a dream of him that was there. For instance if we dream of someone we know that person will not even be aware that you had a dream of him or her.
4. In order to time travel one must leave the body behind. You don't walk around in your dreams with any physical body.

Finally if you apply however much logic was in the games prior to KH3D I think most issues resolve themselves.

Thoughts?

But didn't the big finale scene with Riku/Mickey and Master Xehanort happen in real life, aka not a dream? All the incarnations there time traveled there, then time traveled away. (Not sure all of them, but the incarnations of Xehanort)

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
But didn't the big finale scene with Riku/Mickey and Master Xehanort happen in real life, aka not a dream? All the incarnations there time traveled there, then time traveled away. (Not sure all of them, but the incarnations of Xehanort)

Yup, not to mention how in the world would the final battle in KH3 happen if non of his past incarnations were there since it was all a dream that they came back :(

I don't like the idea of "time travel" either honestly, but we know it can happen (given Lea somehow sped up his keyblade training by Merlin who can also manipulate time apparently).

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
In truth, time travel was introduced in KH2 where SDG had to travel back in time to Timeless River as agents of time to ensure that no damage to Disney Castle was made. By the time DDD came around, time travel is no longer a foreign concept.

It has to be kept in mind, though, that Merlin's method of time travel differs from that employed by Xehanort, but they work under the same main principle that alterations in history will never happen; in the case of Timeless River, Merlin's door could very well have been a foil to Maleficent's, the whole plan orchestrated by time itself.

The fact that time travellers forget the events upon returning is a protocol to ensure the continuity of one single timeline. With the erasure of their memories, they are prevented from recalling ever being out of their time, which means their experiences out of their time will not influence them to try to prevent or promote said events from or into coming to pass (because there's no way of them knowing), thus keeping history as it had been.

Gram

Banned
Awards
It was confirmed to be time travel by Nomura himself:

KH3D ultimania said:
—Were the 13 Seekers of Darkness, who were meant to be in different times, gathered by transcending time with magic?

Nomura: Just as it says in the story, to transcend time one must ‘first’ discard their form. As a result of the actions of the Brown Robed Figure, they all were in a state where they had gained the power to transcend time. The Brown Robed Figure explains the facts. The thirteen were summoned at the same time, this time thanks to Young Xehanort who borrowed that power. However, apart from Young Xehanort, that does not mean that all the members transcended time.
Source: KH3D Ultimania Interviews Translated! - News - Kingdom Hearts Insider

And as Solosis pointed out there are varying forms of time travel:
-Xehanort uses one that revolves around a discarded body which also restricts him to only traveling within his own life time
-YenSid also used a variant of time travel when he sent Sora and Riku body and all to the DI at the start of DDD
-There was the doors in kh2
-And Merlin, a confirmed time travler, also uses his own method

It's all a bit complicated yes but it's just best to remember the one established rule, that history can't be changed.
If you could alter history Xehanort would've done did so.

This rule also applies to the other methods because Maleficent also tried to alter history but rather than history being instantly rewritten for sora and everyone else in Disney Castle, instead, a form of what you could call a "hiccup" or paradox occurred were heartless appeared in disney castle which gave Sora time to find merlin and for merlin to summon the second door so Sora could fix the issue.

In short, there are varying methods but its best to just remember the simple law that you can't change history and not worry about it to deeply.
Trying to dig into all the finer details can cause more of a headache than necessary. haha

Last edited:

Jgray123487

Awards
I would like to bring up the "unknown"(which from my memory is Xemnas) in Kingdom Hearts final mix. Was he trying to alter history by taking on Sora and friends? Just curious. Because i dont remeber if he was time traveling or not?

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
Xemnas isn't time travelling when he appears in KH1, that's really the present-day version of him. He goes on to visit Roxas in the Realm of Darkness, the scene where he says "I've been to see him. He looks a lot like you."

Jgray123487

Awards
Xemnas isn't time travelling when he appears in KH1, that's really the present-day version of him. He goes on to visit Roxas in the Realm of Darkness, the scene where he says "I've been to see him. He looks a lot like you."

Ok thats what i wanted to know thanks.

Gram

Banned
Awards

Also, to add on to that, Xemnas made that very trip in kh1 to gather the data/memory samples needed to form Xion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back