• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Time Travel Incongruece

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoroarkF

I know the laws of time travel, and so i know that after someone come back he doesn't remember anything of his journey. But YX said that memories of his time travel will remain in his heart and that will lead him to leave destiny islands. That is the thing. He left and became master xehanort because master xehanort (Ansem SoD) travelled back in time.
So Ansem SoD changed the past, even though the laws of time travelling don't allow to do it? He exist because he went back in time?
The time line is linear and only one present time and future doesn't exist so when YX time was the freaking present time he received himself coming from the future but the future doesn't existed. I've always thought that when the present time was Ansem SoD time he went back to the past, and YX then would have been capable to travel forward until he reached ansem present (KH3D) but know that i remembered YX's "memories will lead me to leave the island" phrase i don't know what to think.

When the hell am i gonna understand the whole thing? Help
i don't even know if you are gonna understand what my confused mind have written

Last edited:

DefiantHeart

Awards
I'm thinking personally that time travel isn't really linear, ish made of numerous possibilities. Ansem was one of the possibilities of Xehanort leaving the islands, etc. I feel the reason Ansem did this whole time travel thing, was to direct all his possibilities towards a single goal in time, so they'd all pretty much be guaranteed to end up in one place and not possibly do something else. Just think of Ansem as a possibility of time, you know, dimensions etc... the possibility you didn't choose.

That's the only conclusion I can think of, as he wouldn't really need to go back in time and direct his younger self, if all possibilities were destined to repeat the same thing anyways...

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
You have stumbled upon what we call a temporal paradox, specifically a time loop. Being what it is, it's kinda impossible to figure out where it begins or ends, and it should be impossible, but it's happening anyways. Young Xeha's decision to leave the islands leads to him eventually time-traveling, and his decision to time-travel leads to him eventually leaving the islands.

The closest example I can think about off the top of my head is the paradox in the first Terminator movie. Main protagonist travels back to preserve the savior of humanity's existence, but also ends up conceiving the very savior that had prompted him to time travel in the first place.

... Come to think, Terminator time travel's not too different from KH's, body-ditching rules aside. Both the machines and the humans tried to change the present by re-writing the past, but in the end, the scenarios that kicked off the time travel in the first place (Judgement Day and the existence of resistance leader John Connor) remained unchanged.

Both the Terminator series and Xehanort are just following the Novikov rule of self-consistency here. Unfortunately there's no way to really think this out that's not headache-inducing.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards
You have stumbled upon what we call a temporal paradox, specifically a time loop. Being what it is, it's kinda impossible to figure out where it begins or ends, and it should be impossible, but it's happening anyways. Young Xeha's decision to leave the islands leads to him eventually time-traveling, and his decision to time-travel leads to him eventually leaving the islands.

The closest example I can think about off the top of my head is the paradox in the first Terminator movie. Main protagonist travels back to preserve the savior of humanity's existence, but also ends up conceiving the very savior that had prompted him to time travel in the first place.

... Come to think, Terminator time travel's not too different from KH's, body-ditching rules aside. Both the machines and the humans tried to change the present by re-writing the past, but in the end, the scenarios that kicked off the time travel in the first place (Judgement Day and the existence of resistance leader John Connor) remained unchanged.

Both the Terminator series and Xehanort are just following the Novikov rule of self-consistency here. Unfortunately there's no way to really think this out that's not headache-inducing.

This.
It's a tolerated incongruence in order to make such stories possible.
Remember that everything about this kind of time travel is purely theorical, there's no hard proof.

ZoroarkF

Ok, i got it. I have ti accept it. But doing so i have to accept also that Ansem SoD broke the rules changing the past and that time is not linear or that these rules don't exist and someone lied. Right?

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Ok, i got it. I have ti accept it. But doing so i have to accept also that Ansem SoD broke the rules changing the past and that time is not linear or that these rules don't exist and someone lied. Right?

Ansem SoD didn't change destiny. Young Xehanort was always going to leave Destiny Islands and seek the outside world. Ansem didn't change this, all he did was send YX on a time-traveling detour to gather his various selves throughout time prior to his inevitable leaving of the Islands.

Look at it like this. Young Xehanort was already about to leave. But then Ansem SoD stepped in and said "Hey, do this thing real quick before you go" and then when YX returned, the events played out as they were destined to.

ZoroarkF

Ansem SoD didn't change destiny. Young Xehanort was always going to leave Destiny Islands and seek the outside world. Ansem didn't change this, all he did was send YX on a time-traveling detour to gather his various selves throughout time prior to his inevitable leaving of the Islands.

Look at it like this. Young Xehanort was already about to leave. But then Ansem SoD stepped in and said "Hey, do this thing real quick before you go" and then when YX returned, the events played out as they were destined to.

Oook, i understand. The time paradox cannot be understood and has to be accepted and YX was destined to leave destiny island so Ansem SoD in the end didn't change a thing. Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back