• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Three Wayfinders

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

unbound_word

What if Kairi makes two new wayfinders: one each for Sora and Riku. Then the three can share an unbreakable connection like Ven Terra and Aqua.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
Then Sora and Riku would have there own Wayfinders and hopefully Sora's would be as girly so he can stop making excuses as to why he's carrying around a bright pink bauble that has his face crudely drawn on it for some reason.

I'm ambivalent about the other characters getting Wayfinders. For starters, while nowa days Kairi's good luck charm in referred to as a "Wayfinder" I never considered it one. Wayfinders are specifically an Aqua invention put together with what looks like to be glass, metal, enchanted, and is based on the stories Aqua heard about the Paopu Fruit and Thalassa Shells put together.

The Thalassa Shell Lucky Charm was introduced as a traditional item exclusive to DI culture, and as the name implies, is made with specific shells. It doesn't so much symbolize an unbreakable connection (that's the Paopu Fruit) than it does a safe passage home. It's a similar idea, but with clearly very different backgrounds.

Second, while the idea is cute, I'd rather SRK not mimic TAV. It's a nice little roundabout though, but I'd rather TAV and SRK do their own thing.

On the other hand, I like the idea of the protagonists having something that symbolizes their unity. Stars in the series are symbolic of home, connections, and safety and have been very prominent throughout the series. Since half the cast already has had some important star shaped something or other, I wouldn't if it made the transition of symbolizing the protagonists unity, how no matter how far about they are they'll always be apart of each other's lives, all that good stuff. I don't think they necessarily have to be Wayfinders though.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I'm ambivalent about the other characters getting Wayfinders. For starters, while nowa days Kairi's good luck charm in referred to as a "Wayfinder" I never considered it one. Wayfinders are specifically an Aqua invention put together with what looks like to be glass, metal, enchanted, and is based on the stories Aqua heard about the Paopu Fruit and Thalassa Shells put together.

The Thalassa Shell Lucky Charm was introduced as a traditional item exclusive to DI culture, and as the name implies, is made with specific shells. It doesn't so much symbolize an unbreakable connection (that's the Paopu Fruit) than it does a safe passage home. It's a similar idea, but with clearly very different backgrounds.

Right, but the Wayfinders were made specifically to replicate the kind of good luck charm Kairi made. As Aqua says, she only uses the stained glass and magic and stuff because she couldn't get the shells. The connection is used to highlight the idea that you always find your way back to each other, IE: home. I don't really see a difference at all in why they were made.

Though, you're right in that maybe only Aqua's charms are Wayfinders by name.

(but anyway, Kairi's charm does seem to be very specific in its ties to Sora and Kairi's friendship, I'm not sure I want them all having it. Though, I wouldn't mind them all dividing a paopu fruit, with themselves and all their other friends)

Ruran

Awards
Right, but the Wayfinders were made specifically to replicate the kind of good luck charm Kairi made. As Aqua says, she only uses the stained glass and magic and stuff because she couldn't get the shells. The connection is used to highlight the idea that you always find your way back to each other, IE: home. I don't really see a difference at all in why they were made.

Though, you're right in that maybe only Aqua's charms are Wayfinders by name.

(but anyway, Kairi's charm does seem to be very specific in its ties to Sora and Kairi's friendship, I'm not sure I want them all having it. Though, I wouldn't mind them all dividing a paopu fruit, with themselves and all their other friends)

I guess it can be argued it's semantics, but what I'm trying to get at is that Thalassa Shell Lucky Charms I wouldn't really call "Wayfinders" because they obviously predate them and the Wayfinders are an attempt to recreate what Aqua has only heard about. I'm half referring to titles and half to concept.

I mentioned it's a similar concept, but Kairi explains at the beginning of the game that sailors made the lucky charms so they would have a safe voyage. She initially only made one because it seemed to be more for the raft and SRK as a whole. Aqua mentions a star shaped fruit and that you made a charm using its skin. Sharing the charms made from its skin created an unbreakable bond. Aqua's combining the legend of the Paopu Fruit with that of the charms so the meaning does come out a bit different.

"And you get a Wayfinder, and you get a Wayfinder, and you get a Wayfinder!"

*cough*

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Aqua mentions a star shaped fruit and that you made a charm using its skin. Sharing the charms made from its skin created an unbreakable bond. Aqua's combining the legend of the Paopu Fruit with that of the charms so the meaning does come out a bit different.

The skin thing was a translation done before the game came out. The official translated dialogue doesn't say anything about using the paopu's skin.

Aqua: Somewhere out there, there's this tree with star-shaped fruit... and the
fruit represents an unbreakable connection. So as long as you and your friends
carry good luck charms shaped like it, nothing can ever drive you apart. You’ll
always find your way back to each other. Technically, I think you’re supposed
to make them with seashells, but I did the best I could with what I had.

Sorry to be that guy. ^ ^;;

Ruran

Awards
The skin thing was a translation done before the game came out. The official translated dialogue doesn't say anything about using the paopu's skin.

Aqua: Somewhere out there, there's this tree with star-shaped fruit... and the
fruit represents an unbreakable connection. So as long as you and your friends
carry good luck charms shaped like it, nothing can ever drive you apart. You’ll
always find your way back to each other. Technically, I think you’re supposed
to make them with seashells, but I did the best I could with what I had.

Sorry to be that guy. ^ ^;;

*crying*

Here, you can have my Keyblade Master badge. You'll be a double master.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
I guess it can be argued it's semantics, but what I'm trying to get at is that Thalassa Shell Lucky Charms I wouldn't really call "Wayfinders" because they obviously predate them and the Wayfinders are an attempt to recreate what Aqua has only heard about. I'm half referring to titles and half to concept.

I mentioned it's a similar concept, but Kairi explains at the beginning of the game that sailors made the lucky charms so they would have a safe voyage. She initially only made one because it seemed to be more for the raft and SRK as a whole. Aqua mentions a star shaped fruit and that you made a charm using its skin. Sharing the charms made from its skin created an unbreakable bond. Aqua's combining the legend of the Paopu Fruit with that of the charms so the meaning does come out a bit different.

"And you get a Wayfinder, and you get a Wayfinder, and you get a Wayfinder!"

*cough*

...I thought the skin was a mistranslation (or, perhaps, a correct translation that the localization changed for whatever reason), as Aqua's line in the English version is, "And if you make good luck charms shaped like it, nothing can ever drive you apart. You'll always find your way back to each other. Technically, I think you're supposed to make them out of seashells, but I did the best with what I had." But once again, this is really just semantics.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Wasn't it also mentioned by Kairi in KH1 that the charm was made of thalassa shells? I also remember that in the Japanese version of BbS, Aqua said 貝 (かい kai), which generally means seashell or shellfish.

Besides, if we were to apply real-life logic here, making a charm with fruit skin will cause it to decompose very quickly. XD

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
*crying*

Here, you can have my Keyblade Master badge. You'll be a double master.

Aw! No, no. Even the best masters can get a little muddled.

Though, another thing I'm interested in now that I'm thinking about it: what happened to Terra's Wayfinder?

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

Though, another thing I'm interested in now that I'm thinking about it: what happened to Terra's Wayfinder?
Xemnas could have it. Or maybe in Apprenticenort's room in the Radiant Garden castle.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The Wayfinders had always been with their respective owners all the time, right? So theoretically, when Xehanort possessed Terra, Terranort was still carrying it somewhere on his person.

I wouldn't be surprised if in KH3 Aqua will face Xemnas, and then he shows her the Wayfinder. Of course, that's if his memory that pertains to it is still intact.

Ruran

Awards
...I thought the skin was a mistranslation (or, perhaps, a correct translation that the localization changed for whatever reason), as Aqua's line in the English version is, "And if you make good luck charms shaped like it, nothing can ever drive you apart. You'll always find your way back to each other. Technically, I think you're supposed to make them out of seashells, but I did the best with what I had." But once again, this is really just semantics.

*See Tinny's post.

Wasn't it also mentioned by Kairi in KH1 that the charm was made of thalassa shells? I also remember that in the Japanese version of BbS, Aqua said 貝 (かい kai), which generally means seashell or shellfish.

Besides, if we were to apply real-life logic here, making a charm with fruit skin will cause it to decompose very quickly. XD

Yes, yes it was. Speaking of, as a little fun fact "Thalassa" refers to the primordial sea Goddess in ancient Greek mythology, "Thalassa" meaning "sea". Meaning that Thalassa seashells/Thalassa shells ruffly translates to "sea seashells" "sea sea" or straight up "sea shells" depending depending on how the words are ordered.

Which isn't relevant at all, I just wanted to point out Square being needlessly punny~

At least they got better with the whole X-Blade biz.

;~;

That's a good question. I had a crack theory that Xehanort used it in an experiment to open a rift into the RoD because it contained powerful magic. In BbSFM's secret ending we see the darkness being drained from the RoD in front of Aqua and I figured it was Xehanort and his experiments. The portal opened up right next to Aqua because Terra's Wayfinder was being used and simultaneously, Aqua's Wayfinder began to dim.

Ehh, it's a purely drug-laced theory. I'm not even sure how it makes sense myself, lol.

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Terra's wayfinder is still stuck in his clothes in some imaginary pocket that was put aside when he changed into lab coat. I mean, the last time we saw it, Stitch managed to find it by running around Terra's body and there were no visible pockets there...

Ruran

Awards
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked if Terra's wayfinder is still stuck in his clothes in some imaginary pocket that was put aside when he changed into lab coat. I mean, the last time we saw it, Stitch managed to find it by running around Terra's body and there were no visible pockets there...

It's just lost somewhere in his hakamas along with the house keys, his yoyo, and the dirty mag he hid in a hurry. All the characters in KH have magic infinity pockets. I can imagine that Aqua keeps hers tucked under the folds of her skirt and Ven has pockets. The biggest KH mystery of all is how, or where, Ven kept Terra's wooden sword on his person all that time.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
The biggest KH mystery of all is how, or where, Ven kept Terra's wooden sword on his person all that time.

He sticks it up h-

Ahem. Hammer space, or a dimensional pocket. That's where they store everything they have in possession, including their Wayfinders, that wooden sword, and the 99 pieces of each synthesis materials.

NeoshadowXC

That's great. Except the wayfinders were never made all that important to begin with... BBS wouldn't shut up about them, but they were just sort of the lame replacement for the Paupu fruit. The only difference was, I bought the friendship between the 3 protagonists at the beginning of KH1, and it just felt so forced at the start of BBS. The wayfinders were like just another one of those forced replications.

MegaCore5

Awards
Well, she is a girl, so yeah, after she sees Aqua with her's, she'll make one for Riku since Sora has the Paopu fruit already.
I don't think the way finder will come back to the next game. It was really only something that was mentioned in BBS but anyways what do you mean sora still has the Palapu fruit like he's been holding at this entire time? LOL

Anthony12KH

I don't think the way finder will come back to the next game. It was really only something that was mentioned in BBS but anyways what do you mean sora still has the Palapu fruit like he's been holding at this entire time? LOL

Kairi's lucky charm, which is designed after a Paopu fruit, that Sora currently has with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back