• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Thoughts on Star Wars and how it can be incorporated into Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Awards
Star Wars and Kingdom Hearts have a lot in common. Both are about mystical warriors that wield special weapons that no one else can. Both have villains that refuse to die. Even the phrase "May your Heart be your Guiding Key" is most likely Tetsuya Nomura's version of "May the Force be with you". And of course both are owned by Disney, meaning that a crossover between the two is inevitable. And while I'm all for the idea, there are certain things that I think should be taken into account. For example it would be impossible to sum up Star Wars in a single world. There's also the problem with live action in Kingdom Hearts just not being a good idea (it just doesn't work in my opinion). So what I'm personally hoping for is character cameos similar to how Final Fantasy characters are handled. And as for the live action problem? Easily avoided thanks to the two animated series, The Clone Wars and Rebels. Sora could meet and befriend characters like Anakin and Ahsoka, the crew of The Ghost, or fight against the likes of Asajj Ventress, Darth Maul, or The Grand Inquisitor. Whether they show up in original worlds or other Disney worlds I believe This is the Way. Since I Have Spoken, I'd like to hear your opinions.

And Remember, May the Force be your Guiding Key.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Oh I'd definitely prefer the Star Wars world to be more based on the animated series than on live action.

I think having the characters from Star Wars spread through different worlds might be a fun way to include them. They could be kind of lost and who ever the main character is, could try and help them back to their own world.

Alternatively they could do what they did for the lilo and stitch world, and have it limited to just one location for a story. They can always come back to the world for more adventures. If it were the Rebels, I'd say Lothal would be the ideal location, for all others it's harder to pinpoint a good location.

Awards
The Caribean and Tron were fine in kh. I don't understand the issue with more worlds based on live-action movies.
They're fine game play wise (except for Port Royal in KH2) but the problem is the drastic difference in graphical style. It's jarring and can take you out of the experience. And if they put more of an emphasis on live action worlds in the future (Star Wars and Marvel for example) then going back to the traditional Kingdom Hearts art style might seem a little strange. At which point Square Enix might just be tempted to adopt a photo realistic graphical style for Kingdom Hearts (especially considering the fact that they already have for Final Fantasy). And that would be a shame.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
The best way that I always through they should use Star Wars in KH is cameos. Have Anakin (Clone Wars era) show up in Olympus or The Caribbean (so he can comment on sand).

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
The "world" would be called Far Away Galaxy & would have to be accessed through a black hole linking it to the main KH sector of space. The story could take a side story approach, à la Rogue 1 or Mandalorian, rather than try & adapt 1 of the films. But it still gotta fit in a Darth Vader bossfight somewhere because that's just obligatory.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
My preference for a world would either be during The Clone Wars, Mandalorian, or shortly after Return of the Jedi. In the case of Clone Wars the entire world could be set on Coruscant with Anakin and Obi Wan as party members

The "world" would be called Far Away Galaxy & would have to be accessed through a black hole linking it to the main KH sector of space. The story could take a side story approach, à la Rogue 1 or Mandalorian, rather than try & adapt 1 of the films. But it still gotta fit in a Darth Vader bossfight somewhere because that's just obligatory.
They could have the player fight dead antagonists such as Maul, Grevious, and Vader in the form of Data battles like they did with the Organization in KH2 and KH3

Henryp

Awards
While I am not completly against the introduction of Star Wars into the KH universe, I see one major problem and minor problem. The minor is the "tone", being so different from the typical Disney-Fantasy tone that uplift the deeper original storyline. This can be adjusted if they truly want to.

The other, bigger problem is that SW is a full universe on itself, while the other IP used in KH are this self contained stories that can be easily transformed into a world. Containing the storyline of SW into a single world is very difficult, and going for a different worlds approach would clash badly and compete with how the KH universe is built. Having several planets with the same lore would eclipse the novelty presented in KH on the worlds being their own contained thing. This is the problem I see with Marvel too, to a lesser degree.

If SW is to be implemented, I think it should be reduced to "cameo" type, that way they can get away with not explaining much about SW lore. A gummi ship mission/battle would work perfectly, I was actually surprised it didn't happen in KH3. Small cameo of Dark Vaider as a secret boss or something would also work well.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
While I am not completly against the introduction of Star Wars into the KH universe, I see one major problem and minor problem. The minor is the "tone", being so different from the typical Disney-Fantasy tone that uplift the deeper original storyline. This can be adjusted if they truly want to.

The other, bigger problem is that SW is a full universe on itself, while the other IP used in KH are this self contained stories that can be easily transformed into a world. Containing the storyline of SW into a single world is very difficult, and going for a different worlds approach would clash badly and compete with how the KH universe is built. Having several planets with the same lore would eclipse the novelty presented in KH on the worlds being their own contained thing. This is the problem I see with Marvel too, to a lesser degree.

If SW is to be implemented, I think it should be reduced to "cameo" type, that way they can get away with not explaining much about SW lore. A gummi ship mission/battle would work perfectly, I was actually surprised it didn't happen in KH3. Small cameo of Dark Vaider as a secret boss or something would also work well.
To be perfectly honest, I do not object to a KH game having like 3-5 SW worlds in it.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
I said this on another thread but I'll rephrase it. Each trilogy fits different parts of KH better than others, and the tone is what sets them apart. For example the original trilogy would've worked best during the early years of the franchise. They both use a hero thrusted upon a much larger world of conflict. There's a grandeur to the journey, a wonder of what's next. The prequel trilogy fits better post KH2. As post KH2 and in the SW PT we start delving on the origins and untold stories. We get to explain the rise of the great evil and why things transpired the way they did.

To put it simply:
OT throughout KH1 to 2. The PT throughout Days to DDD. Now the issue is: those games already happened. We can't change the past, and the tone of what's coming hasn't been totally set. It depends how the next part of the saga plays out.

As to how? I'll copy/paste what I wrote in the other thread:
I’ve been a huge fan of the idea of treating Star Wars and Marvel like Winnie the Pooh. Have the lore already established but modified to fit Sora within it. Marvel can use comics and Star Wars can use Holocrons, add the datascape to the mix and viola.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I'm also curious if they would include Star Wars ships or just repurpose their names/designs for gummi ships
Depends. If Star Wars is limited to easter eggs and cameos like the FF characters the ships will probably only be referenced with the Gummi Ship and possibly gummi enemies

But if they go all out with a World then yeah I believe we could see the Millennium Falcon, Death Star, etc

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I also was suggesting in other threads that they have one world at the edge of the map called "A Galaxy Far, Far Away" which plays like Atlantica in KH2. Every time you visit, it's another chapter of the story which would allow world changes without justifying actual different worlds on the map.

For example, the first time we visit it's on Tatooine where the gang encounters C3PO, R2D2, Luke and Obiwan (they join the team) and it's following the story of getting them onto the Millennium Falcon. Sora says that he will meet up with them using the Gummi Ship - and you have to revisit the world after completing some tasks to unlock the next portion. When we revisit the world, we get the cutscene of the Death Star blowing up Alderaan.

Sora returns right when the Millennium Falcon is captured by the Death Star. They also get captured. In the party now is Luke, Han Solo, and Leia. This portion of the story is Episode IV's story on the Death Star. Sora fights Darth Vader, but then Obi Wan tells them to leave and that he will handle Vader. They escape, Leia gives Sora the Rebel base location to meet up at Yavin IV. Then you have to unlock the final portion.

When you return to the world, you have cutscenes at Yavin IV (and can explore the base but there's not much). Then you have a space battle to destroy the Death Star. Once you complete the world, you can revisit all the past locations (referred to as memory holocrons to justify going back to the Death Star to explore).

Swing

Awards
We will have to see if Star Wars is still something of value to be even considered to put into KH. Disney really has no idea what to do with Star Wars and this franchise gets a lot of negative backlashes lately. The new movies are disappointing, the High Republic book isn't selling well, Galaxy's Edge is like an empty wasteland, the action figures aren't selling, and recently we had the whole debacle with Gina Carano. Star Wars is a dying brand, and we all know how Disney ticks. The company only pushes properties that make money. This is also the reason, why in the KH series you almost only see brands that Disney really wants to promote. Not every brand, but the majority of the Disney-IPs represented in KH are some of their biggest juggernauts. I can't believe that I'm saying this, but under Disney, Star Wars might not be a big juggernaut that is worth being in KH. It could still happen, after all, we had a world based on Tarzan, and Julius from the short "Runaway Brain" was a secret Boss, but I wouldn't bet my money that it will 100% happen. Is see it as more of a 50/50 chance.

Last edited:
Awards
It's true that Star Wars is in rough shape. But thanks to The Mandalorian and games like Jedi Fallen Order and Squadrons, the future is looking better. And with the recent announcement that EA will no longer have exclusive rights to make Star Wars games, a significant obstacle has been removed. And while it's also true that valuable IP's are prioritized, Nomura tends to do what he wants (Tron is a great example of this). As for the Gina Carano situation, it shouldn't affect Kingdom Hearts since she's already been fired. Plus the controversies surrounding T.J. Miller and James Woods didn't prevent those actors from reprising their roles in KH3. That being said, a 50/50 chance does sound about right.

Sonofjafar

Awards
Star Wars and Kingdom Hearts have a lot in common. Both are about mystical warriors that wield special weapons that no one else can. Both have villains that refuse to die. Even the phrase "May your Heart be your Guiding Key" is most likely Tetsuya Nomura's version of "May the Force be with you". And of course both are owned by Disney, meaning that a crossover between the two is inevitable. And while I'm all for the idea, there are certain things that I think should be taken into account. For example it would be impossible to sum up Star Wars in a single world. There's also the problem with live action in Kingdom Hearts just not being a good idea (it just doesn't work in my opinion). So what I'm personally hoping for is character cameos similar to how Final Fantasy characters are handled. And as for the live action problem? Easily avoided thanks to the two animated series, The Clone Wars and Rebels. Sora could meet and befriend characters like Anakin and Ahsoka, the crew of The Ghost, or fight against the likes of Asajj Ventress, Darth Maul, or The Grand Inquisitor. Whether they show up in original worlds or other Disney worlds I believe This is the Way. Since I Have Spoken, I'd like to hear your opinions.

And Remember, May the Force be your Guiding Key.
What if Star Wars is shown as the kingdom hearts universe in the far future with Sora and Co being sent there with Merlin’s help like when he sent them to the past in the form of Timeless River

D

Deleted member 246005

I'd have them be native to the realm of Darkness.

It keeps them in their own corner and works as worldbuilding. KH has a darkness is not evil theme. Having Star Wars be set in the realm of Darkness felt like a way to explore that.

Plus it works as a hook for an Aqua spinoff. Aqua got involved in Star Wars while she wandered the Realm of Darkness.

Back