• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Thoughts on Card System in Re:COM

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards
I enjoyed it myself, it was certainly more complicated than the other games in the series, but you got to have a lot more customization over everything. The cards were a nice touch from just another hit everything with a weapon game.
How about you guys?

Last edited:

Bobby Craft

Re: Thoughts Card System in Re:COM

Probably a lot will disagree but the combat in CoM/Re:CoM were my favorite in the whole serious. Second runner up would be the Days combat system.

I think the whole reason why they put such an abstract combat system in CoM was because KH1 recieved mixed feedback on its button mashing game play. With the cards it forces a whole new dimension of strategy. What magic cards would work most effective? Should I use a sleight or save it? Should I use my 0 card to break this attack?

And what I love most is that by end game everyone's deck will be different (unless you're going for a specific deck to just beat Marluxia). You can tailor your deck specifically to your style of game play. I never really had friends that where into KH but the PvP system looked like something I would enjoy.

But in the end CoM is a game that really left me wanting more. Re:CoM had a couple more sleights and two new boss fights... Like if there was ever a time to copy and paste content this would of/should of been the game. Something like the Hades Cup or the data battles would have been sooo perfect in this game. And they could of rewarded you by throwing in a couple of extra summon cards or enemy cards.

tl;dr: Favorite battle system in the series by far.

Chill

Silver Member
Awards

Yeah. I completely agree with that.
I do enjoy watching people on youtube using many Firaga's, VERY boring after a few minutes

billyzanesucks

CoM is one of my favorites in terms of battle. Especially the remake, with the additions to Riku's battle system. It sucks that every freaking system I ever own breaks. I had two PS2's, and a PS3 that all broke. One PS2 kind of works, only some of the time, but I don't know where that is right now.

luna1017

Trying to reach the Second Star to the Right.

I think the card system made the game more challenging. I found it hard in the beginning but once you have the right card and the right deck, the rest of the game's a piece of cake.
The triangle mashing in Re:COM made things easier, but I still prefer the original COM. I think it's because the GBA screen's smaller making it easier for me to look at my deck and my enemy's deck.

Neko

Keep Holding On
Awards

I thought the card system in CoM/Re:CoM was very creative and different. Not to mention it was more challenging than other KH battle sytems. I liked how you could customize your deck and collect more cards. I actually liked it better in CoM than in Re:CoM mostly because I was a big fan of the controls on GBA with the battle system. It just worked better for me on GBA overall.

Chaosmax

Dream.Drop.Distance.

I thought the card system in CoM/Re:CoM was very creative and different. Not to mention it was more challenging than other KH battle sytems. I liked how you could customize your deck and collect more cards. I actually liked it better in CoM than in Re:CoM mostly because I was a big fan of the controls on GBA with the battle system. It just worked better for me on GBA overall.

This a thousand times, the system was creative and well done. I loved the way you could come up with different combos in it and have to defeat the other card with a higher one, it made it challenging and definetly worth playing.......wish I still had it :/

Delsan

Killjoy Hillington
Awards
It was definitely a break from the hack-slash gameplay. It actually made you think of what to do unless you had "zero" cards.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards
its hard im playing it now for the first time
its such a weird game both the game play, the shift from battle area to roaming area as well as soras roid rage

KeyofEvil'sBane

Space Duck
Termina, wondering why everyone looks familiiar
It definitely can take up to a full playthrough to get used to the system, but in subsequent runs, the endless customization options (for Sora at least) really make it worth the time to make all the extra discoveries, like sleights you didnt use before, and in Re:COM, all the extra cards that nod towards KH2

Hero

See You Space Cowboy!
Awards

I think the whole reason why they put such an abstract combat system in CoM was because KH1 recieved mixed feedback on its button mashing game play. With the cards it forces a whole new dimension of strategy. What magic cards would work most effective? Should I use a sleight or save it? Should I use my 0 card to break this attack?

Remeber CoM was originally on the Game Boy Advance. I'm pretty sure the reason they decided to go with a card based system was because they couldn't accurately portray Kingdom Heart's battle system on the GBA.

But yeah, once you got past the initial frustration it gave you, the card system was deeply engrossing and quite satisfying.

Gram

Banned
Awards
i actually enjoyed the card system, it added a bit of strategy (unless you just went the easy rout and spammed zero cards) and some of the sleights were cool.
the tornado~ and then were was that one that behaved like Aqua's time slicer command. ( ps2 version sleights)
i really liked Riku's story and its locked decks made one think.

my only complaint with CoM is that the grinding and room after room of nothing but heartless gets boring.

off topic but Blank_Points your sig is freakin super!

flurryflames

The NeoShadows are among the hardest heartless in that game. I liked the game also because it was hard and straegetic.

What I want to know is why all of the enemy cards dealing with the organization in it? It shows 1-12 What is the purpose?

nikolasvanitas14

kh recom had a fresh new idea that many people failed to understand,but its one of my favorite kh games and the story is nice too

Mite

Kingly
Staff member
Awards
I didn't really like the card system at first, but as I got through the game I got better at deck building which made the game a lot more enjoyable.

SummerWindsong

I really liked the card system, it was different, and challenging. It was even more difficult with Riku, you had to play the cards they set out for you.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
I first played Chain of Memories back in... I'd say 04 or 05. As such, my recollection of it was rather fuzzy.

But, I'm playing Re:Chain of Memories now, and I gotta say. Once you get your CP up a bit and you're able to add more cards... it gets rather enjoyable. Add on the fact that you can change the contents of nearly any room at any time provided you have the proper Map Cards, and utilizing them to get cards you want (Roulette Room/Premium Room anyone?) makes for a nice strategy.

As for the battle system itself, it's pretty fun. Getting the right combination of cards is vital, and building it to suit your strengths (or to expose the enemies' weaknesses) is kinda engrossing. It made for the most customizable battle setups in the series so far.

And I agree with pretty much everyone in this thread so far.

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
I absolutely love the card based battle system, it was great in CoM and fully realized in Re:CoM. Definitely one of my favorite battle systems, if not my favorite. It's a system that really rewards your investment in it. If you just throw in some cards and a few cure spells (what I did back when I was 13 and just got the game), you get your rear handed to you.

Yet, if you really invest your time, buy cards from Moogle Rooms frequently, spend levels on CP, and slowly work your way up to only having high-numbered cards and the best damaging ones, you can really gain the upper hand. It's a good contrast to KH1/KH2, where one of the only ways to beat a boss you were stuck on was to go outside and smack Heartless til you were a few levels higher (like most RPGs, I suppose), where in CoM, you can spend levels on HP to survive longer, or buy CP to get a few more good cards in there, or maybe replace some low numbered ones with high numbered ones, perhaps get a few more zero cards in there to defend against big attacks, or you could even invest in some new sleights (though that's something I've never done).

It's a brilliant battle system and it's incredibly intuitive and fun. I really feel like everyone who complains about it really hasn't given it a chance/invested their time in it, or just blow it off because "it isn't Kingdom Hearts." But, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited:

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I thought it was alright in COM, but in RE:COM, it was old. The difficulty spike didn't help at all. I felt like I was repeating the same game only the storyline was more corny, the bosses were cheap, and they added 2-3 bosses which really didn't do much. Anyway, enough RE:COM bashing, it was just a bad game. If it came out 4 years earlier then it did, I probably would've liked it much more.

Last edited:

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
It did come out 4 years ago (at least, the JP version did). It was 3 years ago for the NA release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back