• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Thoughts on Card System in Re:COM

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
It did come out 4 years ago (at least, the JP version did). It was 3 years ago for the NA release.

I said, if it came out four years before. I mean, four years before original release. And I know when it came out. It came out in 2008, I meant if it came out in 2004 instead of the original COM, I would've enjoyed it more. There, now I fixed my typo.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Ah, I see.

Okay, well you can see how it was easy to misunderstand you. XD

Odysseus

Somewhere out there beneath the pale moonlight.
I thought it was alright in COM, but in RE:COM, it was old. The difficulty spike didn't help at all. I felt like I was repeating the same game only the storyline was more corny, the bosses were cheap, and they added 2-3 bosses which really didn't do much. Anyway, enough RE:COM bashing, it was just a bad game. If it came out 4 years earlier then it did, I probably would've liked it much more.

Does it feel old because it's something you played a long time ago, or does it feel old because you feel it has aged poorly? If the former, then that's your own opinion, but I really don't think it can be the latter. In order for something to age poorly, it needs to be outdated, which Re:CoM definitely isn't. Nothing has stepped up, taken CoM's battle system, and made it so much better that everyone went "Wow, I can't believe we used to use the card system in Re:CoM, it's terrible now compared to this modern version!", it's just too unique of a battle system.

To word my previous question differently, does this "old" feeling feel more like playing a traditional role playing game like Dragon Quest IX ("Wow, this turn-based gameplay feels so old, it hasn't changed since the 80s and I find it boring.")? Or does it feel "old" like Goldeneye on the N64 ("Wow, ever since the GCN/PS2/Xbox came around with their dual analog sticks and made console shooters so much better, this game is almost unplayable! The controls are outdated, they feel obsolete and I find it boring.")?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Does it feel old because it's something you played a long time ago, or does it feel old because you feel it has aged poorly? If the former, then that's your own opinion, but I really don't think it can be the latter. In order for something to age poorly, it needs to be outdated, which Re:CoM definitely isn't. Nothing has stepped up, taken CoM's battle system, and made it so much better that everyone went "Wow, I can't believe we used to use the card system in Re:CoM, it's terrible now compared to this modern version!", it's just too unique of a battle system.

To word my previous question differently, does this "old" feeling feel more like playing a traditional role playing game like Dragon Quest IX ("Wow, this turn-based gameplay feels so old, it hasn't changed since the 80s and I find it boring.")? Or does it feel "old" like Goldeneye on the N64 ("Wow, ever since the GCN/PS2/Xbox came around with their dual analog sticks and made console shooters so much better, this game is almost unplayable! The controls are outdated, they feel obsolete and I find it boring.")?

Hmm. I'm not quite sure. I mean, when I played it years ago, it felt new, but when I played it today, I didn't feel nostalgic at all. The system felt old, everything felt worse. I know thatmy bad memories of COM are all from RE:COM, I don't exactly know, all I know is that I liked it much better years ago. It's not the battle syste I mind, it's what they did to it. I feel like it's changed, yet nothing has. It's kind of impossible to explain.

Mirby

Too many games too little time
Awards
Website
twitch.tv
Well every seven years one's tastes in food and stuff changes. Perhaps, now that you've grown up and matured a bit, it doesn't hold the same appeal as it did then?

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I personally loved CoM's combat system. That game was my introduction the series, so I had no preconceived notions of what was and wasn't KH. I really enjoyed the huge amount of variety available and the combination of careful planning and split-second decision making that was needed to successfully fight the harder enemies. I never played Re:CoM, but I found CoM's execution of the card-system to be almost flawless, especially the variety of being able to make your own deck and then being forced in RR to use a pre-made deck.

My only complaint is actually more of the game's design, not the combat itself. The game didn't seem to have any rewards for players who really dug their teeth in and made extremely complex and versatile decks. Once you beat the main game... that was it. No secret bosses, no challenging sidequests. Once you got past about level 60 even the hardest enemies didn't pose a challenge. There was the multiplayer, but the game wasn't super popular so the odds of using it were slim. It felt like your deck only had to be good enough to beat the game, and there was little motivation to more. I wish it had something like Re:coded's system sectors to give leveling up and actually using all the different strategies a purpose. Still, the combat system was wonderful, and I actually wouldn't mind seeing it again some time, though I'm sure most fans are flinching at the thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back