• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Thoughts on atheism?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
So, I've been writing a story for a couple of weeks so far on why I became an atheist, and how it's helped me be a far better person ever since I stopped denying it. I'm planning on finishing, editing, and maybe even posting it to the forums (if anyone here is interested), maybe within the next week or two. So, I've got two questions for you in the meantime:

1. Would you be interested in reading anything similar to my story and reasons why I'm just not religious?

2. What are your general opinions on atheism? Do you admire it? Are you an atheist? Are you religious?

Comment below, thanks for lending me your ear!

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
1. Yes
2. Logical conclusion when you think of existence as we know it thanks to science.

Do I admire it? Eh, I don't think of it in terms of admiration/revulsion.

Despite my disbelief in there being a "God", existence on its own is such a freak thing. How do we exist? How does anything exist? There must be something greater than all of existence out there to form this universe. If it is a god or what? I am pretty agnostic but I was raised in a religious family. Baptized when I was 5. I can see why it is nice to believe in God, and up until I was around 19 I never had any reason to doubt my faith despite not being overly religious even back then. Where I am in this point of my life, I don't believe in God. I would love to. It would take off some extra fear on my shoulders about death and dying, but I can't.

Jochira

Awards
1. Would you be interested in reading anything similar to my story and reasons why I'm just not religious?
well, always interesting to see how things are from a different POV

2. What are your general opinions on atheism? Do you admire it? Are you an atheist? Are you religious?
I wouldn't say that i'm a pure atheist... i'm more of the hindi/atheist (I doesn't really believe in gods, i'm only hindi for the traditions and mythologi), though I see myself (first and foremost) as an multi-cultural guy, since I wanna learn more about the cultures, mythologi, traditions and such from the other religions owo

BufferAqua

Bronze Member
Awards
1. Definitely

2. I wouldn't exactly call myself religious but I wouldn't call myself an atheist either. I don't know much about atheism to consider myself one, but atheism does make sense. I also wouldn't call myself a Christian, since I don't really care about that stuff too much. I just learn not to really worry about it for now. My beliefs remain undecided.

Wire

1. Sure

2. I am neutral towards both religion and atheism. I lean more towards agnosticism. I think that God and the Universe are the same thing. I don't know if the universe is a sentient and self-aware being, nor do I know what exists in other dimensions. I do think it is very unlikely that a being that man's image is based upon does exist, but at the end of the day, I have no clue. It's an unfalsifiable hypothesis, so there's no real way to reach a concrete answer. I'd much rather ponder ethical or epistemological questions than religious ones.

Magnus

Silver Member
Awards
Born and raised without a religion, so I've always been an atheist. By the time I was old enough to learn about different religions, it just didn't make any sense to me to just pick one of them and start believing in it. I'm also an existential nihilist. I live a happy life and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything. Quite the opposite.

And sure, I wouldn't mind reading your story.

Laeril

Awards
1. Not really, although I don't think you'll lack for an audience just because of little old me.

2. I am religious, in fact. Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to be precise. I don't really understand the atheist viewpoint, but I won't tell any atheist that they are going to hell because of their belief or lack of belief. That would be hypocrisy, and Jesus is not a fan of that, hence why I try not to do it.

Wire

1. Not really, although I don't think you'll lack for an audience just because of little old me.

2. I am religious, in fact. Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, to be precise. I don't really understand the atheist viewpoint, but I won't tell any atheist that they are going to hell because of their belief or lack of belief. That would be hypocrisy, and Jesus is not a fan of that, hence why I try not to do it.

I like your view. I tend to favor religious pluralism. All religions can be valid. All rejections of religion can be valid. At the end of the day, no one really knows what's going on. We like to think we do, though. No sense in being mean to each other over stuff like that.

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
1. I would read it. I think the way I would describe it is that I find everyone's views on religion "entertaining."

2. I am generally a religious question mark. I am not really of any specific religious belief (that I know of). I believe in some higher power, something unexplainable that somehow kickstarted all of this, and I am comfortable with calling that higher power God, but aside from that, I see too many similarities and too many flaws in all religions to call them right or wrong.

TheAuronSavior

1. I guess I could

2. Atheism..... I've got nothing on my mind about other than what it is. I've have no admiration for it. I'm agnostic, but I'm not really knowledgeable about the difference. I used to be religious back when I was 13-14 since I was dependent on a higher power for guidance but it all seems like a load of baloney now.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards

Yay! I was hoping someone would comment that is religious!

I had the best church experience growing up, I honestly couldn't have asked for a better pastor or better friends. I loved the experience, and really made a connection with everyone, I just had a hard time actually buying into the belief. I still happily go to church with them once in a while, and while I might not agree with them on certain things, my father raised me to always lend an ear to all parties, even if you agree with none of them.

That's alright if you'd pass, I wouldn't be offended. Although I would appreciate if you at least stayed for a paragraph or two ��

Pandymint

Awards
Oooh this is my kinda thread.~

1. Absolutely. It would be interesting to read someone else's point of view.

2. While my parents and family do believe in god and are, for all intents and purposes, Christian, I can't necessarily say I was raised as such. It was a sort of assumption more than anything. We never went to church, mostly because my dad works out of town. It wasn't ever really pushed onto me. I never really gave it much thought myself until my teenage years. I mean, I can count the number of times I've been to church on one hand. My views have fluctuated from vaguely christian, to agnosticism to atheism. It took a while for me to find what really stuck with me. Currently, and unless something changes my views in the future, I will always be an apatheist.

It's really just a fancy way of saying I don't give a flying fuck whats real and whats not. I'll find out when I'm dead. Until then, I'm just gonna live.

Grizzly

Stopza
Awards
1. Yes
2. I'm a Catholic myself. I was baptized at an early age, and after growing older and becoming curious, I researched my religion myself, as well as kept an open mind as I went through private school. I still follow my religious beliefs proudly, but will not judge someone for being another religion or not believing in God at all. I find it fulfilling, educational, and reassuring, among many other things, but I get where these people are coming from. While I personally couldn't disagree more, I also don't believe you'll be condemned or unfairly judged for what you believe, so long as you abide by the beliefs you set for yourself and the moral standards that come along with that. Aside from the beliefs of a higher power/God, I think the moral implications of religion, or lack thereof, is fascinating, and I would love to read and possibly discuss something well thought out about it.

redcrown

Awards
1. I guess so, sure.

2. I was raised completely atheist, so my mind can't even really comprehend what it means to have a religion or believe in a god(s). It has honestly always been pretty confusing to me, and a little terrifying (like are you allowed to have even your own thoughts to yourself without worrying about being judged?). I also slightly envy those that believe in it, having the thought that there is always someone looking after and willing to listen and care for you. At the same time I'm mostly glad I wasn't raised with religion.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
1. Sure? Besides, if you want to share it, you just should. :)

2. I don't really believe in any kind of god but I do understand the fact that religion can be some sort of guide to some people, something to cling to and put your faith in even if things aren't looking good in your life at the moment. What I do believe though is that there has to be some sort of higher power out there I'm uncapable of understanding. (One who knows nothing can understand nothing...)

catcake

eien no chikai
Awards
1. Yeah, I'd read it. It's interesting to hear different opinions and experiences.

2. The only thing that I believe in is that we can't know anything for sure. I love science of all kinds really, but even science is sometimes wrong and has to be edited. What we think we know is constantly changing. I personally don't find the existence of anything supernatural logical or likely, but that's just a conclusion I can make with my limited knowledge of this reality. I don't admire atheism any more than I admire having strong faith, it's not really something you get to decide. I do, however, dislike organized religions and churches and whatnot. I unfortunately have nothing but extremely negative experiences with them so yeah. I don't have anything against individual religious people though.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
1. I'd be interested.

2. I dont completely understand atheism, but as my current beliefs stand i wouldnt consider myself a true atheist. I feel more agnostic. I cant prove there is a higher power, but at the same time i cant prove there isnt. Everything will be revealed after death. As it stands, religion has very little impact in my day to day life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back