• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Thoughts of genre shifts in KH?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Flinkon15th

With Melody of Memory coming out, we'll soon be getting the first full-blown rhythm game in the KH series, one that will actually directly advance the canon story. Of course, we've had rhythm sections in games before (the mind drifts to BBS mini game, the nauseating Atlantica in KH2), but this is the first proper rhythm game in the series. This got me thinking, now that Square has set up a decently strong following with its series, and has worked to expand its fanbase by catering towards new players, and releasing the ReMixes and KH3 onto XBox, they're feeling comfortable changing things up a bit, and doing a rhythm game. What are y'alls thoughts on the KH series departing from the typical RPG systems and trying something different for a game? What genres would you like to see tried to be incorporated?

For example, my thought was maybe a survival game of some sorts. With the uncertainty of the canon story ahead, I doubt this would work, but I was thinking adding elements of survival to Sora's next adventure. Not necessarily like collect wood and stones survival, but just having to work with a very limited amount of resources with a damaged keyblade. He'd be in an unfamiliar world, and since he has no idea where he is, maybe his keyblade is damaged because his heart is damaged, his ties to all of his friends severed or stretched thin. Considering to how the release version of KH3 left us with a very very large amount of ways to take out enemies, between flomotion, Attraction-flow, form changes, shotlocks, etc., it was fun at times, but that's a whole lot of power. Maybe Square could take us back to basics. Idk, I just thought adding more grounded survival aspects would be interesting to see, and would kind of make sense with where we are now story-wise.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
Kingdom Hearts Warriors.
Ansem%27s_Apprentice_02_KHII.png

Cumguardian69

Awards
I've never liked the whole genre shifts that happen even within the microcosm of Kingdom Hearts. They reached liquid gold in KH2, weaponised that gold with KH2FM, then abandoned the mine ever since then opting instead to make a fool's goldmine in Days/BBS/DDD/KH3. Not to mention the absolute cancer in its gacha. I think, realistically, KH needs to show consistency in its core action RPG gameplay before it makes major shifts to OTHER styles

Additionally, it needs to divorce its story from these other game"play" styles. Dripfeed mobileshit 5 minute textscenes that go nowhere for years on end is not story. It isn't good storytelling, it isn't PotEntiaLLy INTerEsting or whatever crappy meme goes around in the community. It's annoying, and we as people/consumers need to have our time respected.

All That being said, if they wanted to come out with a Kingdom Hearts TCG, or Kingdom Hearts DDR, or even a rail shooter Gummi Ship style game...I wouldn't hesitate to try to them out if not buy them outright.

Kokoko253

Awards
Kingdom Hearts Tactics: You go to different worlds, have a set of heroes always ready for squad making, and locally used Disney heroes for every world. You are against different squads of Heartless, Nobodies and Unversed. It works better as non-canon, but I'm sure Nomura could make/force a canon story for this.

Dissidia Kingdom Hearts: Self explanatory.

Angry Ducks: A mobile game where you use Goofy to throw an angry Donald at heartless. Can happen anytime during the saga. (Please make it non-canon!)

Kingdom Hearts RPG: A classic ATB style RPG. The command system would translate well into this format. Any KH story would fit in for this.

Kingdom Derby: Sora and co. arrive in the Cars world, and are turned into cars. They need to win the tournament in order to gain access to the gummi ship. For whatever reason the extended cast is also here, so you can drive as any keyblader + Goofy and Donald. There are also multiple optional tournaments yo can do, different modes, whatever a game like this needs. When you win, there is a plot twist and they turn into planes and now you are forced to do the plane tournaments of darkness. It can be anytime during KH1, KH2 or KH3.

Kingdom Hearts 0.2 2 - A Fragmentary Dress: Dress-up with Aqua. The story is that the Princesses invite Aqua to a princess picnic, and she desperatly tries on any clothes she can get her hands on, but she doesn't know how to princess properly. You get points for the dress combinations, and if you manage to recreate Nomura's fetish, you get a crucial canon plot element that can make KH4 make sense. Also YX randomly pops up taunts Aqua for bad cloth combinations.

Kingdom Hearts Chess: You play as Boy in White (who suspiciously looks like Eraqus, I wonder if anyone noticed), and you replay memorible fights but in chess format, with comments by the boys that give new insights or foreshadow stuff (kind of like they are divining coming events through chess. Gameplay is everything but chess. Maybe chess with different starting setups and special attacks?

Cooking With Sora: The KH3 mini-game but now a full game. There is a mini-game where you go into the garden and whack heartless to get different ingredients. In case you are blind, Donald helps you out with useful advice. You can make dishes different than the recipe, and the people you have to cook for give you hints on how the like their dishes (Roxas obviously likes the dishes salty yet sweet, Xemnas loves a hint of nothingness, and Ansem's favourite spice is DARKNESS). You get money from Scruge based on your performance, and how much the guests liked your food. Can be right after Sora is dragged back to life around KH4, doing this to thank his friends. Appearances by past slain enemies are also canon, because they are 'Gourmet Voids', the embodiment of the hunger of the emptiness of the fallen who are now unable to eat... or whatever, if Absent Shilouettes make sense, this makes sense too.

Kingdom Hearts Breaker: Brick Breaker, but instead of the platform, you control a keyblade, and the ball is a darkness ball, and the bricks are heartless. It can be Kairi, Lea, Sora and Terra's Mark of Mastery exam.

Kingdom Hearts Tetris: All the different KH games represent different shapes and are falling down one by one. It's not enough to complete a row, you also have to connect the games that are in a collection or the ones that are in a saga to make the row disappear. When you win the game, its revealed that you were playing as MoM, and tells a criptic massage kicking off the third arc.

Kokoko253

Awards
I almost forgot about the most important aspects of KH that deserve their own games:

Space Hearts: A polished full version of the KH3 gummiship gameplay. Can also happen anytime where Sora and co. use the gummiship. They are sucked into a black hole or something and end up in part of the Ocean Between that has no world to land on, but they find suspicious heartless/nobody activity. Space shooting and missions. Also Bring back World of Chaos and Xemnas' dragon ship thing for optional space shooter boss fights. And please more KH2 enemy ship designs, they were so much more memorable compared to 3's.

Who Wants to be a Keyblade Master?: It's Who Wants to be a Millionaire?, but all the questions are about KH lore and terminology. It could be a small mobile game, and the basic story is that before the practical part of the Mark of Mastery exam, there is also an academical part. Maybe you can have different hint options based on who you play as. The host is of course Yen Sid, but you can unlock dark mode, where we go deep in theory territory, and the host is Master Xehanort or Luxu.

Paopu Kingdom: Romantic visual novel. It takes place at first in the Destiny Islands high school (so after Sora lives again, but before the next worldending event), then when summer comes, the game moves to Twilight Town with even more characters, and maybe include some Disney worlds as well. You can follow different characters and have a plethora of dialouge options. Of course, no matter what you do, every option gives the same reaction and the game has only one ending where Sora and Kairi hold hands, because mwahahaha!

Kingdom of Melodies: A rhythm game inspired by KH2 Atlantica's amazing and well received rhythm mechanics, but now a full game. You can replay past memorable events with the appropriate music, and also include plot relevant canon story eleme... wait a minute...

okhi12

Awards
A survival game with limited resources could make sense if it was about the BBS trio now that they are in the Realm of Darkness. I mean, it's a harsh environment with powerful heartless and I don't think moogles could have opened any shops there...right?
The only way to obtain supplies and equipment would be treasure chests (which should be pretty rare) and more importantly a crafting mechanic to make good use of the scarce resources available, like an upgraded version of synthesis. Something like the Fun-sized forge from Dragon Quest XI.
Terra, Aqua and Ven have received training as keyblade wielders that would travel to all kinds of different worlds... surely they were taught a thing or two about survival in order to be prepared for that, so it makes perfect sense.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I almost forgot about the most important aspects of KH that deserve their own games:

Space Hearts: A polished full version of the KH3 gummiship gameplay. Can also happen anytime where Sora and co. use the gummiship. They are sucked into a black hole or something and end up in part of the Ocean Between that has no world to land on, but they find suspicious heartless/nobody activity. Space shooting and missions. Also Bring back World of Chaos and Xemnas' dragon ship thing for optional space shooter boss fights. And please more KH2 enemy ship designs, they were so much more memorable compared to 3's.
Taking this further, it could have Disney worlds that heavily feature flying craft: Tailspin, Star Wars, Lilo & Stitch, Planes................OK, that's literally all I can think of.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I want a fighting game like Super Smash Bros or the DBZ Budokai games. Let us pick different characters and fight in arenas based on Original and Disney worlds.

Though who knows if Disney would allow it, lol

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
The cooking and dress up elements that were added in KH3 and 0.2 were very important to me, genuinely.

I also want Kingdom Hearts Harvest Moon and it stars Rabbit and everyone from 100 Acre Wood please.

Chie

Awards
They can do whatever they want as long as I can play it (i.e. it's not on the telephone/not an MMO).

2 quid is good

Awards

Full blown space opera PLEASE

Have it take place apart from Sora and Co. Like maybe just a ragtag bunch of characters in their own gummi ship, and inadvertently butting heads with the main villains of the saga

I think I accidentally described Guardians of the Galaxy but KH Ver.

But really there's so many Disney and final fantasy properties they could pool into a space focused game

SweetYetSalty

Awards
A classic ATB style KH game where everyone gets a Job Class and fight in parties of three-four. I love the ATB gauge in the classic Final Fantasy games and I think Kingdom Hearts would pull this off very well. Think of the customization.

But please no racing games. I suck at them so much and always choke under the pressure. Have mercy!

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
I want a fighting game like Super Smash Bros or the DBZ Budokai games. Let us pick different characters and fight in arenas based on Original and Disney worlds.

Though who knows if Disney would allow it, lol
They allow this to exist:

-Characters from assorted Disney worlds gathered together
-hero vs. hero multiplayer
-hero & villain team-ups
-Fighting against Pixar characters
-Goddamn Demona & Horned King are there

We don't even need it to be a KH fighter per se, a SSB clone with Disney characters that includes Sora as an unlockable suits me just fine.

Last edited:

OrionGold

Awards
KingdomVania: A game in the style of a metroidvania. In this case, I would make it more like Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon in terms of gameplay but with the speed and flow of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. For the first few levels, you gain a new party member who will remain with you for the entirety of the game. The party will be a mix of original characters, Disney, and Final Fantasy (maybe bring in some other Square character as well). Each level is themed after Disney and Final Fantasy while a few or originals. The bosses for each level will be respective to whichever property the latter is based on. I would make this game a standalone spin-off/sequel focusing on a new protagonist. Preferably female because Kingdom Hearts is in need of more compelling female characters who can hold their own.

Smash Kingdom: A Kingdom Hearts game in the style of Super Smash Bros. I just want an excuse to have Winnie the Pooh kick Sephiroth's ass because it sounds hilarious.

Noivern

Awards
Full blown space opera PLEASE

Have it take place apart from Sora and Co. Like maybe just a ragtag bunch of characters in their own gummi ship, and inadvertently butting heads with the main villains of the saga

I think I accidentally described Guardians of the Galaxy but KH Ver.

But really there's so many Disney and final fantasy properties they could pool into a space focused game
Yes, please!!! This could genuinely turn into a really fun game depending on how we tackle it. KH1 had what would become the Radiant Garden Restoration Commiteee fighting for the city and defeating Heartless, but past that it was just about the Keyblade Wielders and I would really enjoy seeing normal characters in the KHverse just doing their own things.

I was going to mention KH Warriors which felt like the natural evolution of the franchise and it's spin offs (specially that now even Persona joined the genre with Scramble that is also the canon sequel to P5).

That aside, there's a few things that could work:

- Mobile/Eshop: Kingdom Hearts: Heartless Study Project
You would play as a version of Xehanort during his time as Apprentice Xehanort raising your very own Emblem heartless. Basically a KH Tamagotchi, although more in the likes of Digimon Championship for the DS. There's no proper story besides the premise that it happens inbetween BBS and KH1 so it could feature some of the other apprentices for small story bits, but it's mostly meant to be a monster-raising game set in KH and I think the Heartless are much more interesting than the ugly Dream Eaters (except for Chirity, who is lovely).

- PC/PS4: KH MMO
Set in another timeline only reusing the concepts of KH, you build your own Keyblade Wielder, train under a class and defeat enemies while travelling through the world. Fully original world giant in size with it's own cities and cultures, Disney to be featured solely through references, costumes, events, summons and so on.

- Kingdom Hearts: Scattered Dream
A spin off set in an alternate universe in a school setting inspired by JJBA/Persona/Digimon/Megaman Battle Network and Star Force. Featuring alternate universe versions of some characters like the Twilight Town folks or the Organization, but the characters would be able to project their soul in the form of a "Persona" that is inspired by the Shadows/Nobodies/Unverseds/Dream Eaters, etc.
Turn-Based RPG, could feature a social link system.

Would be cool to see the characters in a different setting like Lauriam being the owner of a flower shop who hides his sadness over the loss of his younger sister who is then materialized as a 'Persona' inspired by his final boss form, Roxas is the shy kid who feels like he is invisible because everyone only really sees him as the younger brother of Ventus and Sora, those kinds of things.

Mexican Sora

Awards
I don't like it. This was better suited as a mobile game. I would've preferred something like Days where the combat is still KH-like. But other than that MoM is a complete waste of time; similar to COM. I give UX and DR a pass only because they're free.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards
I want a Kingdom Hearts game where Sora becomes a Yakuza by accident and mistakes Majima for Xigbar.

Back