• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

This is weird. (Read OP, pleeeeaaaassseee)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia Esteed

m e l o d y . e x e
I see Mary Sues...they're everywhere. They don't e
Website
sophiachi.livejournal.com
Okay, so I have Windows XP (running for 4 years now) and McAfee Security Center. McAfee's been takin good care of my comp, but lately I have reason to doubt that. Whenever my computer (which is shared with my parents) stays in screensaver for too long, when I start it back up, it says it detected an Adware called "PurityScan" or something. When I'm on my account and try to remove it, it does nothing since I'm a Limited Account. But when it happens to my mom or dad, who are admins, they choose to "remove" it and nothign happens. It keeps coming back each time screensaver stays on for too long, and worse -- it NEVER shows up in the McAfee Security Center scans!!! I'm at my wit's end, PLEASE HELP!!

square-enix

Pederast
Website
www.newsvine.com
Do you have an application called "PurityScan" (or similar) installed on your computer? Apparently, the website(s) used to (site no longer exist) claim that they would scan your computer for 'free' at no cost.
In the terms of agreement, they used some fancy words to say that they would show pop ups to you while you were online. The strange thing is that you're not seeing any pop ups, but whatever.
Since Purity Scan is classified under Adware, it's best to use programs made for Adware. Ad-aware (free version or purchased version) should detect it.

On a side note, if there is a program called "Purity Scan" installed on your computer, you could also go to
My Computer- > C:-> Program Files -> Purity Scan (or whatever the application is called) -> look for the uninstaller executable.

Spybot Search and Destroy is also worth a try, although I have since forgotten which type of malware it handles.

Sophia Esteed

m e l o d y . e x e
I see Mary Sues...they're everywhere. They don't e
Website
sophiachi.livejournal.com
WHat I recall, I never installed any PurityScan on my computer, only Ad-Aware Personal (still have), and McAfee Security Center. I have NO idea how it got there. It doesn't show up on the McAfee Security Center scans, and I'll try to search manually, but I doubt it'll show up...I'm on my account, which is limited, right now, so soon I'll see if I can use any admin account (my mom's or dad's) and try doing a Search then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back