• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

This game is shit

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Echo

Anti-SENA Operative
Awards
I'm playing through BbS right now on my way to the (second) Platinum.

I think its many flaws are already well-documented and agreed upon.
Commands are often stiff or overly-long, leaving you vulnerable with no way out.
Most late- or post-game bosses have a tendency to never stop attacking which can turn the fight into more of a waiting game (or Russian roulette as Terra).
Enemies lack proper reaction a lot of the time, yada yada yada

These are all definitely problems, but for the most part they don't bother me so much and I'm willing to give it a pass as a game trying to do many firsts by a team with little experience in the series. I also imagine the five-year development cycle was slightly troubled, particularly around the shift from PS2 to PSP.

My biggest problem with BbS is the three-character structure--namely, the separated files and reports. This is something I feel they could have and should have fixed in either of its HD renditions, or even Final Mix.
Having to quit to menu to change characters is tedious, making a "chronological" playthrough a total burden.
Having five different save files for one playthrough turns the save screen into a complete mess as soon as you have more than one playthrough. You can't even properly start from scratch because of the system data tying all the files together.
Having three separate Reports to fill out means doing at least 30 runs of Command Board (7 for Mirage Arena, 3 for exclusive commands), doing every single race six times, doing every single Fruitball match three times and doing every Ice Cream Beat track three times on both difficulties.
Having to collect tons of the same commands three times. Collecting all the same abilities three times. Using all the D-Link finishers and Shotlocks three times. Grinding 9999 Medals three times. Doing every single Mirage Arena match three times.

It's honestly absurd that the team hadn't considered what a pain in the ass this is.

SoraHasAutism

I'm playing through BbS right now on my way to the (second) Platinum.

I think its many flaws are already well-documented and agreed upon.
Commands are often stiff or overly-long, leaving you vulnerable with no way out.
Most late- or post-game bosses have a tendency to never stop attacking which can turn the fight into more of a waiting game (or Russian roulette as Terra).
Enemies lack proper reaction a lot of the time, yada yada yada

These are all definitely problems, but for the most part they don't bother me so much and I'm willing to give it a pass as a game trying to do many firsts by a team with little experience in the series. I also imagine the five-year development cycle was slightly troubled, particularly around the shift from PS2 to PSP.

My biggest problem with BbS is the three-character structure--namely, the separated files and reports. This is something I feel they could have and should have fixed in either of its HD renditions, or even Final Mix.
Having to quit to menu to change characters is tedious, making a "chronological" playthrough a total burden.
Having five different save files for one playthrough turns the save screen into a complete mess as soon as you have more than one playthrough. You can't even properly start from scratch because of the system data tying all the files together.
Having three separate Reports to fill out means doing at least 30 runs of Command Board (7 for Mirage Arena, 3 for exclusive commands), doing every single race six times, doing every single Fruitball match three times and doing every Ice Cream Beat track three times on both difficulties.
Having to collect tons of the same commands three times. Collecting all the same abilities three times. Using all the D-Link finishers and Shotlocks three times. Grinding 9999 Medals three times. Doing every single Mirage Arena match three times.

It's honestly absurd that the team hadn't considered what a pain in the ass this is.

Like I said, many fans of the series thought it was great and that's fine. Some of this was slightly exaggerated. But I would go so far as to say I have never been as frustrated with a game. Like I experienced serious emotional damage lol

Ueki_168

^THIS^ Oh god I can't stress how much do I agree with you. See, the gameplay is somewhat acceptable if you limit it to the main story, it's somewhat fun and you can enjoy it. Again, this excludes extra bosses and so on so forth. But for a completionist that I am... This that you said is completely unacceptable. It makes the game artificially longer, and having to grind three "different" (absolutely the same) times is such a drag that only thinking about it makes me not wanna play it ever again.

It may be my ocd, but if a game is virtually un-100%able, I cease to find a reason to play it. BBS is very poorly designed...

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
It's not shit, but gameplay wise it's not the best in many opinions, neither is the story. It's my favorite game of the series by far though. I loved it before it was even released. I probably have permanent rosy glasses on my face.

I've written many posts and threads on how they could have structured the three person story so much better, but I digress.

Awards
One of my main complaints with Birth by Sleep is how you get forced into command styles when attacking, even if you don't want to.
Gets annoying when you're trying to spam thunder and magnet for Prize Pods.

---

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
One of my main complaints with Birth by Sleep is how you get forced into command styles when attacking, even if you don't want to.
Gets annoying when you're trying to spam thunder and magnet for Prize Pods.

---

That is indeed very true. I always wished there was an option to just turn off the command styles.

Wilderness

Awards
I didn't even get to say how utterly retarded it is to force you to UNLOCK the last part of the game lmao

You did get to say that, you just never took the opportunity until now. ;)

I won't argue with you about your original points, if that's your feelings on the same then that's fine; it is what it is. However, I feel like your gripe with unlocking the final story is a little petty. It takes almost no time to do and it's super easy. If you sunk a lot of hours into the previous 3 stories, then a space-themed coli isn't going to be much effort for you.

Also, it kinda begs the question, why did you continue? Why did you aim to unlock the finale if you had so many problems with the game up to this point?

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Also, it kinda begs the question, why did you continue? Why did you aim to unlock the finale if you had so many problems with the game up to this point?
^^ This right here. I'm wondering the same thing. If a game I'm playing causes me THAT much frustration, I just stop playing it. Unless the source of frustration is a secret boss where the frustration is probably partially intentional.

I mean, hell, Youtube exists. If you wanna know the story so bad but the game is pissing you off, go watch the cutscenes...

The Dark Mamba

Awards
Started my PS4 BBS playthrough with Ven yesterday. Not breaking any news here but my god are the boss fights complete a$$. Not fun, non staggering pieces of crap. Vanitas's boss design is just baffling. You're reduced to one hit, dodge, one hit, dodge etc. I think the regular unversed battles are fine but the boss design in this game is just terrible.

Chuuya

scared of any fandom I'm part of
Awards
I mean, hell, Youtube exists. If you wanna know the story so bad but the game is pissing you off, go watch the cutscenes...
Yep, I did that.
But doesn't mean I'm not trying to do it myself, but yeah it's taking me awhile. Lots of frustration, I do sometimes rage quit but I don't care, I go back to trying lol. I always like a challenge.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
I imagine it would just be easier to finish the game once you've come to the point so all the scenes are in Theater.

VoidGear.

red gay
Awards
Started my PS4 BBS playthrough with Ven yesterday. Not breaking any news here but my god are the boss fights complete a$$. Not fun, non staggering pieces of crap. Vanitas's boss design is just baffling. You're reduced to one hit, dodge, one hit, dodge etc. I think the regular unversed battles are fine but the boss design in this game is just terrible.

I have to admit I don't understand how anyone could think that unstunnable bosses that rarely even allow a full combo on them are a good idea. Vanitas and Eraqus (as examples) are absolutely awfully designed fights, so bad you can easily die to them on beginner if you're not careful.

The Dark Mamba

Awards
I have to admit I don't understand how anyone could think that unstunnable bosses that rarely even allow a full combo on them are a good idea. Vanitas and Eraqus (as examples) are absolutely awfully designed fights, so bad you can easily die to them on beginner if you're not careful.

This playthrough has made me realize that my favorite way to experience BBS is in movie form intertwining all three stories together. It's a pretty epic story when experienced like that. Actually playing the game, eh....

[video=youtube;Zzia8BLnQNQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzia8BLnQNQ[/video]

I wish the theater mode for BBS had the intertwined version of all three stories.

Last edited:

SoraHasAutism

^^ This right here. I'm wondering the same thing. If a game I'm playing causes me THAT much frustration, I just stop playing it. Unless the source of frustration is a secret boss where the frustration is probably partially intentional.

I'm too resilient for my own good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back