• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

This console generation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
I haven't purchased a current generation console yet, but from what I've seen from trailers, reviews, and upcoming titles, I am rather disappointed. This is the first time in a console generation that I have not been eager to buy a new console. So far, every high-profiled video game to have been released is just good, not great, at best. Not to mention, even titles herald as a good are mediocre.

I for one think this console generation started way too early. The PS3 and Xbox 360, though not as powerful as their current gen counterparts are still capable of churning out titles that are easily comparable (hence why there are the same games released for both current and last gen consoles). As much as I enjoy the perks of new technology making its way to consoles, I feel as though innovative gameplay and riveting story lines, preferably a stable balance of the two, as integral to gaming experiences. I just can't see myself justifying a purchase when my PS3 can play everything that I enjoyed about last gen; and my PS3 (which is not where I even live) I don't even play anymore because I'm tired of playing that.lol

I realize it has only been about two years into the current console generation, but at best, there are only a few titles on each console that seem promising or worth the investment and they aren't even new IPs. And when you think about it, one more year from now, we will be halfway through this current gen's console cycle.

Has the video game industry reached a saturation point in creativity/innovation, or am I just overly pessimistic and exaggerating about the whole thing?

robvandam111

Silver Member
Awards
You're definitely right. It feels really for the this generation consoles. The PS3 and the 360 felt really powerful and could've pulled a couple more years from the market life. From my perspective, I feel that this generation was just disorganized. The PS4 as powerful as it was referred to, its missing things some popular features that the PS3 carried. The Xbox One had so many functions that the Microsoft had to pull out due to consumer concerns. The Wii U is shaping up, although that came out too early and barely had any strong momentum to move the console forward. And finally, the internal memory of the consoles are appalling. Now you have to worry about game installations from the main two consoles.

It's promising though. Wouldn't get too immersive with all of the negativity. If there's something you need to know about, just make sure you research about it before you buy and remember there's always games that you probably want to play if you have any favorite franchises.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Has the video game industry reached a saturation point in creativity/innovation, or am I just overly pessimistic and exaggerating about the whole thing?

Personally I think it has. It's felt that way to me since last gen. Not only for reasons you've mentioned already but others as well. Consoles these days focus more on being a multimedia device than anything else which irks me.
I have a tv and laptop for nearly every gimmick they add to these newer consoles, feels like I'm paying outrageous for features I don't even want.
All I want is something to play the games I'm interested in. =/

I know a lot of people like these things though and that I'm a minority but damn if I don't wish there was cheaper console versions that focused only on the games while other versions did all the stuff other people like.

The only thing I see as a notable addition in the past two gens, aside graphics, is online stores.

EDIT:
I guess what I mean in blunt terms is they seem more worried about being multimedia than gaming and that when the make games their to worried about pleasing fans.

Narukami

ᴋɪɴɢᴘɪɴ &#743
Awards
Website
stormdiver.tumblr.com
My only reason for buying a console from the current gen (mainly PS4), is for the obvious FFXV and KH3, but those are still far off. Beyond that I see no appeal in the near future to buy one... Which feels really weird to be honest. All the games that I find to be 'good' on the newer platforms are either ports of titles from the last gen or games that are also simultaneously going to be released on both. This really is a weird time for games.

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
Cross gen games isn't new, guys. Is this y'all first console cycle? The current gen systems haven't even been out a whole year yet. Developers from all sorts have said we're gonna see less and less cross gen support starting next year. It just doesn't make sense to completely drop support of them as soon as newer tech releases. And we've seen a few cases of games that weren't fully capable of being realized on last gen consoles. I don't reall think it's about how photorealistic games look anymore. Take inFamous: Second Son. It was the gameplay more than anything that was a real showing of what's capable on these consoles. And it came out less than 6 months after the PS4's launch. Compare The Last of Us to every launch PS3 title. To the first Uncharted, even.

Now, the actual quality of the games that have released is more subjective than anything, so I won't really get into that other than to say I've enjoyed the hell out of my PS4 so far. Things are only getting better in the next few weeks, too. Not seeing any troubling signs.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I don't have a PS4 yet, but I can honestly say that so far the prospects (aka: the games that have already been released or announced) excite me far more then back when I bought a PS3 (which was within the year of its release)

XIII Heartless

Head Mom In Charge
Awards
Website
profile.myspace.com
I don't have a PS4 yet, but I can honestly say that so far the prospects (aka: the games that have already been released or announced) excite me far more then back when I bought a PS3 (which was within the year of its release)

Oh, DEFINITELY. I waited until '11 to finally get my 3. I could never justify the purchase before then, even ignoring the asinine price.

I just don't think things are all that bad right now. Quite the contrary, I haven't gamed this much since middle school, damn near.

Roronoa Zoro

Always on the lookout for aliens
Don't really see why you should care but I might b
Yeah when the new consoles were announced I felt like it was too early for them too. But now I don't feel that way. Rockstar said that GTA V pushed the ps3 and 360 to their limits. We may not have realized it but that's about as good as it was going to get for last gen. The current gen consoles can do so much more. If XV hadn't been moved to new gen consoles the the battle system wouldn't have been possible. Now you can explore giant cities, even warp to every inch of a skyscraper (watch the e3 trailer to see what I mean).

Awards
I realize it has only been about two years into the current console generation, but at best, there are only a few titles on each console that seem promising or worth the investment and they aren't even new IPs. And when you think about it, one more year from now, we will be halfway through this current gen's console cycle.

Yes, to the last bit.

For one, dude, it's been one year. Normally I'd say pointing something out like that equates to simple semantics, but in this case, it's very important. Even in the last generation cycle, there's hardly been anything good at launch or within the first year. Heck, the Wii U, the first of 'this gen' consoles, has only just become relevant again with the releases of Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros.

We're not at all near the halfway mark on this gen. To think so is ignorance. This is the first fall where the consoles are actually starting to worth the price of admission because now the games that weren't hurried for launch are starting to get completed and released. you have to realize that the Xbox 360 came out 9 years ago in 2005. The Wii and PS3 in the following year. None of them had great launches except for the Wii, considering that Wii Sports is still one of the only titles in the Wii library that's worth playing.

I haven't purchased a current generation console yet, but from what I've seen from trailers, reviews, and upcoming titles, I am rather disappointed. This is the first time in a console generation that I have not been eager to buy a new console. So far, every high-profiled video game to have been released is just good, not great, at best. Not to mention, even titles herald as a good are mediocre.

I for one think this console generation started way too early. The PS3 and Xbox 360, though not as powerful as their current gen counterparts are still capable of churning out titles that are easily comparable (hence why there are the same games released for both current and last gen consoles). As much as I enjoy the perks of new technology making its way to consoles, I feel as though innovative gameplay and riveting story lines, preferably a stable balance of the two, as integral to gaming experiences. I just can't see myself justifying a purchase when my PS3 can play everything that I enjoyed about last gen; and my PS3 (which is not where I even live) I don't even play anymore because I'm tired of playing that.lol

You realize that the PS2 was supported for several years after the PS3 was released- it was supported through last year in fact. The PS4 was actually announced before PS2 games stopped being produced. So yes, you're going to have some games on both generations because why would a publisher/developer not want money if they have the time and resources? If you don't play much anymore, that's cool. Neither do I. But I still like to play when I can. So I'm not sure what reviews you've been watching, or if they're just for a certain system, and really I don't care. My point is though that being jaded with disinterest or nostalgia for the previous generation doesn't make this one bad. It makes you jaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back