• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Third Times the Charm?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hawkins

In Kingdom Hearts 1, you could do a Disney world in one visit (not including item collecting, etc.). However, ever since KH1, the series has been playing with the notion that the danger is not gone just because you beat one big baddie. Examples:

KHCoM: While the stories roughly follow their respective KH1's storyline, there is variation, showing how the same event can play out differently.
KH2: We all know this one. You go to each world once, then fight the 1000 Heartless battle, then you have to visit each world a 2nd time and fight ANOTHER boss.
KHDays: Each world's storyline plays out over a couple of MONTHS (chronologically), and is certainly not completed just because Roxas cleared out some Heartless.
KHBBS: Each world has one story, but three bosses. Just imagine what would have happened if Aqua never went around cleaning up after the boys! o_O
KHCoded: The Castle Oblivion level demonstrates how choices determined the outcome and only by experiencing all of them can you get the full picture.
KH3D: While the stories differed at points, each one covers ground that the other does not.

My point is, is that there always seems to be more than Sora (or any one protagonists) ever deals with. So I'm wondering what you guys think will happen in KH3? Will it be the same 2 visits per world (akin to KH2), or something else?

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
It's a trend that's happened in every game since CoM to some variation and with all the characters and plot points that need to be addressed they'll more than likely do something to extent the worlds' longevity. It's also been confirmed that there will be two "teams" working in KH3: Sora, Donald, and Goofy will be trying to find the "Key to Return Hearts" and Mickey and Riku will try to find other Keyblade wielders. It hasn't been confirmed whether or not we'll get multi-scenarios but they're definitely leaving room for at least two central stories to tell, how they'll go about that though is a mystery.

Blackdrazon

Vulpes Chronicler
Awards
It's a trend that's happened in every game since CoM to some variation and with all the characters and plot points that need to be addressed they'll more than likely do something to extent the worlds' longevity. It's also been confirmed that there will be two "teams" working in KH3: Sora, Donald, and Goofy will be trying to find the "Key to Return Hearts" and Mickey and Riku will try to find other Keyblade wielders. It hasn't been confirmed whether or not we'll get multi-scenarios but they're definitely leaving room for at least two central stories to tell, how they'll go about that though is a mystery.

I must have missed all of this but that's interesting! It's also worth noting that if Mickey and Riku do find the other Keyblade wielders, they might very well be able to play as other groups, but I wouldn't expect each world to have three or more stories. Also, where'd Kairi get to, I can't imagine her being out of the story after the end of DDD. The structure you're describing sounds like two of the three friends are central characters, it'd be silly if SE counted out the third. But clearly I missed this infodump so this probably isn't the place for that discussion.

As to the actual discussion: what I expect to see is multiple trips with two or so set teams. What I'd like to see is multiple trips with teams you can select freely, either to swap full teams or swap individual members.

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I must have missed all of this but that's interesting! It's also worth noting that if Mickey and Riku do find the other Keyblade wielders, they might very well be able to play as other groups, but I wouldn't expect each world to have three or more stories. Also, where'd Kairi get to, I can't imagine her being out of the story after the end of DDD. The structure you're describing sounds like two of the three friends are central characters, it'd be silly if SE counted out the third. But clearly I missed this infodump so this probably isn't the place for that discussion.

As to the actual discussion: what I expect to see is multiple trips with two or so set teams. What I'd like to see is multiple trips with teams you can select freely, either to swap full teams or swap individual members.

It's possible we'll play as other groups from time to time. It's been a while since I read the interviews but now that I think about it I do recall Nomura mentioning that like in KH1&2 KH3 will mainly follow SDG. I reckon Kairi will hang back at Yen Sid's tower for a while seeing as how she's a novice. Sora and Riku are effectively the protagonist and deuteragonist so the story focuses on their friendship more.

Gram

Banned
Awards
So I'm wondering what you guys think will happen in KH3? Will it be the same 2 visits per world (akin to KH2), or something else?

I'm hoping something else, the 2 visits of kh2 fell short to me but at the same time I don't want another thing like BBS. I'm thinking most likely something akin to how DDD handled it except focusing largely on sora but adding playable bits here and there for others.
(because it'd be just a waste to not be able to play as them all once when all the characters would finally be coming together)

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm hoping something else, the 2 visits of kh2 fell short to me but at the same time I don't want another thing like BBS. I'm thinking most likely something akin to how DDD handled it except focusing largely on sora but adding playable bits here and there for others.
(because it'd be just a waste to not be able to play as them all once when all the characters would finally be coming together)

Agreed. After giving us tastes of other Keyblade wielders and their unique styles, how dare you if you only make Sora playable. Compared to the others, he's really bland and uninteresting when it comes to gameplay, but then again, all-rounder type characters usually are.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
It's been a while since I read the interviews but now that I think about it I do recall Nomura mentioning that like in KH1&2 KH3 will mainly follow SDG.

While it's really likely that this will be the case, a part of me really hopes that it won't. KH 2 suffered greatly from an overfocus on just SDG and their antics in unrelated Disney worlds while the other major characters like Mickey, Riku, Naminé and Axel were doing interesting stuff behind the scenes that was never addressed except in the novels which are of ambigiously canon value.

With KH III this danger is even greater because we have a bigger cast of major characters. Being the main protagonist does not mean the focus has to be set always on Sora.
While character screen time does not correlate to good character development, having only cameo roles and being otherwise only in the background does not even allow decent character exposition and interaction with characters other than SDG.

How it was in KH 1 and 2 is all fine and dandy, but not only has the premise of the scenario changed, KH 3 should also allow for some new experiences and not just be a rehash of KH 1 and/or 2 with better graphics.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Agree with Sephiroth but one thing that I think would help a lot is if all Disney worlds were heavily related to the main story so we constantly saw other characters both in those worlds and cutscenes (and maybe other playable characters) kept showing up, revealing what happen to the rest of the cast.
Problem with having other playable characters I suppose would be that you can't customize them and level them up as much.
I really just hope that it's not like KH II all over again though, I hated that.

As for the worlds, they should be big and open and only require one visit (except for possible playable events with other characters).
fill them with interesting content and don't rehash the movie plot and I'm sure it will be fine

Gram

Banned
Awards
Agreed. After giving us tastes of other Keyblade wielders and their unique styles, how dare you if you only make Sora playable. Compared to the others, he's really bland and uninteresting when it comes to gameplay, but then again, all-rounder type characters usually are.

Couldn't agree more, his blandness pointed out in kh3d more than any other to me thanks to some of rikus more useful moves such as a dark barrier and a dark slicer.
While all sora got was spark.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Couldn't agree more, his blandness pointed out in kh3d more than any other to me thanks to some of rikus more useful moves such as a dark barrier and a dark slicer.

In Sora's defence, he's got Salvation and Faith, Superglide, and his links render him completely invincible. But well... DDD is Riku's game, and sadly, Sora's portrayal as the damsel-in-distress gets painfully obvious in TWTNW.

That said, I agree with what Sign said. Not making other Keybladers playable, or at least as party members, will be a grave sin.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
I'm used to Sora's free play style. If I had to permanently switch to combat styles a la BBS, I'd probably leave the series.
I have yet to play DDD aside from the demo.

Gram

Banned
Awards
In Sora's defence, he's got Salvation and Faith, Superglide, and his links render him completely invincible. But well... DDD is Riku's game, and sadly, Sora's portrayal as the damsel-in-distress gets painfully obvious in TWTNW.

That said, I agree with what Sign said. Not making other Keybladers playable, or at least as party members, will be a grave sin.
Those hardly word as defence when their all the moves of Ventus. Which is what makes it bland.
Superglide is pretty much the only move that was actually his.

rac7d

The prince of Tides
Awards

Sora has always been like that. He was never able to augment his attacks with light as well as other did with there respective elements.

I always felt sora use of those moovess came from his connection with ven. Sora true skill is his abilitly to connect wth other which is why his link, or any limit break working in tandem with another chracter is where he shines. It kind makes him look like a leach.

They can't jsut be party memeber, Kh always limits what party member ar capable of. They have to be interchangable and playable.
Those hardly word as defence when their all the moves of Ventus. Which is what makes it bland.
Superglide is pretty much the only move that was actually his.

Ventus had superglide too

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
In my opinion, it's really quality versus quantity. If they let you visit the world only once, I expect that one visit to feel more special. Otherwise, splitting it into two or more visits leaves us with either fewer worlds, or each world isn't as detailed and focused as it would be were we only to visit it once.

Rydgea

keeps leaving X-mas decor up year-round.
Awards
Website
backloggery.com
World visits themselves could always stand a change in pace. Kingdom Hearts varies this a bit in almost every title, and it's vital to the freshness of the series. There could even be a world we visit only breifly in KH3 while another world we have to visit 9-10 times (thinking tournaments particularly); it really doesn't matter to me so long as the experiences brought forth are solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back