• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Things you actually miss from past games, and didn't see in KH3

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

cakito123

Awards
Not surprisingly, some or many details of the series simply ceased to exist when the engine change was made. It's obvious how reusing the same files made it easier and easier to make the next game in the series much faster. But that also means they never changed some stuff, since they didn't really needed to question what should stay in the games until 2013.
I made this thread for us to comment here some small details that were lost and/or not redone for the new engine used in KH3. Design choices also apply, since by redoing certain concepts, many things end up a transformed version of the previous concept.

I'll start:

i0996utsGkFaUgQc9E7kHx6bKMd9Z-SCbLIyVqTppZnZDLkcCtDTmcUQie3hED33svDisit1nHlkoFarsNsDm0Gy25YK-EJcB9lYGq_z-Or_OlYNSVFeieD4cyBXx_Qd39gcYP_j

- I miss the speeching balloons. This sounds like a silly detail, but I really enjoyed the moments of pushing X to move on to the next character line, and especially being able to choose when I was going to do this.
Kingdom Hearts has always had two ways of telling the story (iirc): cutscenes and speech bubble scenes. I don't think taking the later was a right decision to make: cutscenes are for urgent and meaningful moments, as it cuts control of the player and makes them drop the joystick to watch. Speech balloons makes the player the agent, since they need to press a button to move forward.
I really enjoyed the feeling that I could take my time to read it, and move on to the next balloon. Mainly because the dialogue in these moments usually has more important details for gameplay or just general context of the story. It helps keeping the flow of the game without stoping you too much. So this was a detail I missed in KH3. Having audible voices was nice to add, but that shouldn't nullify these moments entirely anyways.

RiSAGTuFLlAX8MNMczpfpX3HWMNCbjUI9oq-a68dhNdLhRRt_0O0H01hPC7_ajux3xgXMQFABJqnhPOd__VsXFOiZkdHkR8txGFGCUbVrGh03ZR3rhLZD-mXLsbBToFj_WXlVqZ7
1576558604426.png

- The 2D arts included in each character's HP
This one took me by surprise in the first KH3 trailer, but I thought they were going to add a drawn 2D art until the game launched. To my sadness, now the characters are represented in their lives with their 3D model. I miss seeing the HUD a bit more “handmade”, drawn in that cool style.

- The soundtrack is now orchestrated
I don't know if I like it. I mean, Twilight town music is now more dramatic and soothing for example, but it also seems to me to have less personality than before, just as the new worlds's themes. The music are still pretty great, the use of real instruments makes everything seem really well made, but I missed listening to varied and unique instruments and beats in each world. Well, at least listening again to some old tunes in an orchestrated version was really nice.

Well, so far that's all I can remember. What about you all? Do you miss something you were already used to on the Luminous Engine, or before KH3?

GreyouTT

Awards
The MP system from KH1.

I've hated the MP bar since 2, and want my old bar back.

Also the Stat Matrix and Keyblade clock levels from Re:coded, two of my favorite additions to the series and they never came back.

Misread and didn't see you wanted small details. I guess the way party members had their full models shown in the pause menu, and showing them walking.

legacier

Awards
I completely agree about portraits, they look so bland now. The hand drawn ones gave the HUD a little more personality, I think. And it's the same for the save menu too!

Last edited:

disney233

Awards
I admit some 2d art was nice...but I can live without it. The chat balloons I can do without. The puppet faces were what infuriated me throughout the series and I'm glad it's been dealt with in 0.2 and 3. If this counts, then what I DO miss was the reaction commands in 2. They kinda make the battles more interesting and though 3 had some it wasn't at the same high caliber as 2 where almost every enemy and boss had a reaction command and gimmick. They make the battles a bit more...strategic and lively if that makes sense.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
That fwoooo noise when the camera pans around the environment. Examples from old games include
- camera pans before boss fights in KH1, noticeably Opposite Armor and Cerberus
- panning camera prior to the flying Dragon Xemnas faze

A few others I can't be asked to list. But I loved that sound effect, always thought it was a weird Disney-esque quirk of Kingdom Hearts. It was less used after KH1 but it still existed in KH2. I can't recall hearing it at all in KH3, but I might just need to replay the game again in case I just missed it. Am I wrong or was this in fact missing?

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Not sure, if these are small details that fit the thread, but I miss the puzzle solving to progress through a level and the side quests to collect stuff like the dalmations.

The MP system from KH1.

I've hated the MP bar since 2, and want my old bar back
I second this. Used to feel way more in control of my magic in KH1.

okhi12

Awards
I agree with all that has been already said. I'll add the bigger font size of the previous games because I play in a 22' screen and while I read it just fine the text is a bit small (happens with most games nowadays, like they think everyone owns 40' or bigger TVs)

I really loved the platforming aspect of KH1 (and to a lesser extent BBS and 358/2 days) and its world design (that delightfully confusing Hollow Bastion) and I really miss it. KH3 has some complex world design in Olympus, Monstropolis and Arendelle but it's not the same because with flowmotion, diving and running up walls it's very easy to reach any little corner of the map. KH1 had several treasure chests that were difficult to reach early in the game before learning glide, due to the kinda wonky and less floaty controls it required several attempts of well-timed jumps extended with an attack to reach them. The system sector areas from Re:Coded also were platforming focused to get the treasure blocks and were quite fun but some of them were a nightmare to navigate through.

I also miss trinity marks. It's a tiny detail, but looking for them was much more fun than lucky emblems. I'll never forget that green trinity in Deep Jungle that was almost impossible to see unless you knew it's there. I liked other irrelevant things like using certain spells to activate things, like the door to Merlin's house or the wires of the Lady and the Tramp statue to activate the gizmo shop. BBS had similar mechanisms. Finding the floating crowns that were puzzle pieces in KH2 Final Mix and stickers in BBS was fun, too.

Aaaand white mushroom heartless. KH3 flans are cute, but white mushrooms reign supreme.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
When you defeated enemies in KH2, they dropped MP/HP/Drive balls, items, and munny and the game would auto collect it all. I miss that in KH3.

I miss the sound of metal and chains shifting when Sora would run around in KH1 with his Keyblade summoned.

I miss the stat matrix from Re:coded and Keyblade overclocking. Whoever mentioned it earlier, I agree with them.

Finally, I miss Wardrobe from 0.2. Why tf did nobody think we wouldn’t want to dress Sora up and put cat ears on him. I feel robbed.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm going to copy okhi12 and mention Trinity Marks and platforming. I really miss Trinity Marks. It was my dream to see RAX one day perform a trinity in a KH game. Even TAV could try it once.

I also miss the ability to pick up objects and push them. Even though I would some times box smack Goofy in Traverse Town. So many great chances this could have been fun in like Toybox, where you could spell out words in Andy's room with his toy blocks. It's murder to try it in KH3, that's something minor I've missed since KH1.

If this counts I miss KH1 Aero. I loved that version of Aero so much.

I miss collectables like the puppies, the postcards, yes KH3 had them but how you get them wasn't as rewarding as exploring the town for them and getting more the more abilities you had, they made getting things like High Jump and Glide feel like the world now became more accessible to you. I miss the torn pages too. It's repetitive, but every time I got a torn page I was excited to see what would happen next in Pooh's storybook.

I miss the crown puzzle pieces. Those were fun to collect and then solve what the picture was. I had more fun with those then I thought I would. I wish KH3 had their own puzzle crowns too.

I miss hidden areas. Again like okhi12 said, magic can lead to new spots like Merlins house, which feels out of the way. Halloween Town, Hollow Bastion, Agrabah, and such all have these hidden places you can only get to by exploring or coming back to after the main story is done, where you'll find Trinities and more puppies. I kinda miss that too.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards
This is just a rabbit hole to go down, but... Most of mine have already been mentioned:

- Tech points, trinities, a search and reward quest (similar to the dalmatians or puzzle pieces even)
- KH1's MP system
- Command Board
- 2D art
- Aero (as in KH1), being able to control who you Cure
- FF characters / Radiant Garden (as always)
- Namine and Maleficent having real roles in this thing.
- Openings with multiple stained glass pictures. From what I remember, KH3 did have one... I can't recall if it was a new image or that old one of Sora and the island. I'll be honest, I remember the Disney ones better than the ones for the original characters, although they're nice. *shrug*
- The coliseum or at least some kind of fighting minigame.

I thought the world designs / platforming in KH3 and 3D was the best it's been since KH1, so I'm satisfied there. They also brought back Flowmotion and Shotlocks, both of which I liked. The spells aren't as great as I'd hoped before the game was released, since there's no shield spell like Aero there, but I do enjoy having access to all the multiple levels of spells. And I think KH3's Keyblade transformations are much more fun than Drive Forms ever were.

Last edited:

cakito123

Awards
That fwoooo noise when the camera pans around the environment. Examples from old games include
- camera pans before boss fights in KH1, noticeably Opposite Armor and Cerberus
- panning camera prior to the flying Dragon Xemnas faze

A few others I can't be asked to list. But I loved that sound effect, always thought it was a weird Disney-esque quirk of Kingdom Hearts. It was less used after KH1 but it still existed in KH2. I can't recall hearing it at all in KH3, but I might just need to replay the game again in case I just missed it. Am I wrong or was this in fact missing?

Would ya believe if I said I actually wrote that too? I deleted it because when I went through some KH videos to examplify it, I just... couldn't find the sound anywhere in the YT videos??? I though it was weird, but I think I miss the old fwoooo from the camera too. I had the exact same feeling playing KH3, I missed it anyways. Don't know if it was in the last game or not, too.

Also, for everyone else wondering if what you are thinking fits in the thread, just go along the line of though that:

if you missed something in KH3 that you used to see, or saw, in some past game and wanted it to be incorporated in some shape or form but didn't, here is where you can talk about it. Everything you all said up until now is correct! :)

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Another one I remembered is something like in Wonderland where you can alter the surrounding by exploring it and using Magic. There were things to the Bizarre Room that I didn't even learn until recently.

I also miss the little animations that'd play showing Sora opening a door or jumping down somewhere instead of the screen just cutting away.

Also feel like echoing the Tech Point sentiment, always thought of it as the game teaching you how to play better and rewarding you for doing so.

control who you Cure

Actually you can choose to heal others via Cure, if selected by the command menu, the short cut menu just auto heals Sora.

Xblade13

The Cleric of Flamesgrace
Awards
Would ya believe if I said I actually wrote that too? I deleted it because when I went through some KH videos to examplify it, I just... couldn't find the sound anywhere in the YT videos??? I though it was weird, but I think I miss the old fwoooo from the camera too. I had the exact same feeling playing KH3, I missed it anyways. Don't know if it was in the last game or not, too.

Also, for everyone else wondering if what you are thinking fits in the thread, just go along the line of though that:

if you missed something in KH3 that you used to see, or saw, in some past game and wanted it to be incorporated in some shape or form but didn't, here is where you can talk about it. Everything you all said up until now is correct! :)
It should for sure be in the scene in KH2 after Kairi and the others disappear through the Corridor of Darkness and the camera pans to first reveal Dragon Xemnas.

I'd go so far as to include all the other strange Disney-ish sound effects from KH1 as well, the sounds in Wonderland for growing and shrinking, the objects in the world making poof noises and such.

On a side note, why does everyone hype of KH2 so much? My favorite one is KH1 still, and it's precisely BECAUSE it was so clunky and quirky. Not everything HAS to be smooth and completely in the player's control. Back in the day you were a good gamer not because the game handed you the controls on a silver platter but because you overcame how difficult the game was to navigate/control. It made me feel like I warned the ending and KH2 was farrrr to easy. KH3 suffers as well, but the culprit for difficulty issues was KH2. KH1, CoM, and Days all had a certain style to them (I played Days before 2)

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
It warms my heart to see how much other people miss the mechanics from Re: Coded too. The Stat Matrix, Overclocks, Combat Arts, and Command Melding (don't remember if it had a unique name or not), were honestly fantastic, and are really what elevated the gameplay of that title so much for me. I'd love to see a more refined version of that game's system if they ever make a proper Re: Coded sequel (which they likely won't, but one can dream).

Pls bring Data-Sora & Riku back!

CutiePique

Awards
>_< This isn't completely exclusive to KH/KH3 but to add on to your speech bubble point, I miss the absence of... I dunno, "atmospheric voice acting", I guess?
Okay I don't know if it's an age thing, a physical/mental health thing or just a me-in-general thing, but I've been having a low tolerance for... ehurhghr sound(?) in general and talking especially. It hasn't been uncommon for me to have a game's volume muted, not for other's benefit but just because I've "had it up to here" with hearing too much. But having no sound at all makes it hard to engage with, not to mention if there are audio cues needed to play something properly. At least with older KH games, the real talking only happens in cutscenes, which I can skip; from there I just need to keep the game at a respectable volume to have at least some immersion. :T That's not true in KH3. People won't shut up. And unlike FF15 or MS2 or Zero Escape or [insert more games here], there's no individual toggle or slider for different parts of the audio. It's all or nothing. ThanksIhateit, thanksIhateit, thanksIhateit--
tl;dr: This little old lady of 31 is not impressed by how much audible dialogue you can cram into a game, cuz I ain't playin' this series to listen to people talk. If you're going to "upgrade" this series due to greater technological capabilities, upgrade so I can customize my ears' personal experience. I like getting frustrated by tough boss fights or even rude OP enemy mobs one-shotting me, not from walking past an NPC who insists on talking about how nice Rapunzel is. Don't make this series a nuisance to play. And get off my lawn.

Elysium

Be Wiser Than the Serpent
Awards

I would’ve liked if they’d incorporated card mechanics from CoM in some small way. Maybe if fighting in the realm of darkness, you fought with cards, for example, since being there for long makes you forget things, doesn't it? So it would have only been present in Riku's and Sora's fights with Aqua and possibly the fight with the Lich.

I'd have liked to have seen Dream Eaters more, too. Perhaps in The Final World? Since it's supposed to be close to the realm of sleep.

disney233

Awards
This is just a rabbit hole to go down, but... Most of mine have already been mentioned:

- Tech points, trinities, a search and reward quest (similar to the dalmatians or puzzle pieces even)
- KH1's MP system
- Command Board
- 2D art
- Aero (as in KH1), being able to control who you Cure
- FF characters / Radiant Garden (as always)
- Namine and Maleficent having real roles in this thing.
- Openings with multiple stained glass pictures. From what I remember, KH3 did have one... I can't recall if it was a new image or that old one of Sora and the island. I'll be honest, I remember the Disney ones better than the ones for the original characters, although they're nice. *shrug*
- The coliseum or at least some kind of fighting minigame.

I thought the world designs / platforming in KH3 and 3D was the best it's been since KH1, so I'm satisfied there. They also brought back Flowmotion and Shotlocks, both of which I liked. The spells aren't as great as I'd hoped before the game was released, since there's no shield spell like Aero there, but I do enjoy having access to all the multiple levels of spells. And I think KH3's Keyblade transformations are much more fun than Drive Forms ever were.
Welp...at least hopefully that's ONE thing off the list that'll be solved.

GreyouTT

Awards
Another one: Re:Coded had trophies that unlocked bonus chips for the Stat Matrix. It's just a nice little bonus that didn't do much besides a small stat boost, but it was nice.

Re:Coded did so many good things that need to come back.

Back