• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Theory: Why SKULD is the replacement & Brain's trap (SPOILERS)

• Thread starter Deleted member 252753
  • Start date

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
D

Deleted member 252753

This idea is going to take a bit of explaining and I am not the best of communicators but please bear with me because I really believe this idea has legs.

So, in the most recent update, we finally found out who the replacement is and it's Ven! Brain told us so it must be true as he has the list and has no clear reason to lie. I thought it was Ven for a while so wasn't surprised at the revelation but looking over the scene again I have changed my mind and think the replacement is actually Skuld.

Apart from Ven being a little too obvious (especially with ReMind), there are a few strange things in the scene, which I will try to list.

1) Skuld gets defensive very quickly when Brain stars his questioning and when Brain says that Strelitzia was originally meant to be a union leader, Skuld immediately suggests that Lady Ava made the change herself, appointing a replacement for Strelitzia after his disappearance. If this were true, then the replacement leader would be innocent and the act of replacement itself benign, an unfortunate consequence of Strelitzia's disappearance rather than linked to it. Once Brain shuts that down logically, Skuld quickly suggests the absent Lauriam could be the replacement. It's odd that she is so keen to apportion blame to people who can't argue back.

2) Brain and Ephemer are taken aback by both Ven and Skuld being present and it annoys Brain, who says that he'll 'have to make this work'. But if Brain wanted to ask Ven those questions to verify whether he knew he was the replacement, I can't see why Skuld being there too would be a problem. Also, Ephemer says Chirithy brought 'both of them', not 'them as well', which suggests that he and Brain did want to talk to each of them but separately (I am assuming that the Japanese has the same nuance as the translation).

3) Ephemer seems very uncomfortable during the conversation, saying 'this isn't right'. This one may just upset at anyone being a replacement but I am not convinced. EDIT: The translation has been updated and so this one doesn't work now.

4) Visual clues - watch the faces of Skuld and Ven when Brain mentions Strelitzia. Compare Skuld's face when Brain says Ven's name wasn't on the note. Skuld seems a lot more surprised by the second revelation

So those are my problems with the scene, now let's get to my theory to solve them.

Imagine you are Brain, a clever, curious freethinker, and you have just read the note and found out that a fellow union leader has replaced the missing Strelitzia. You know who the replacement is but you don't know if she knows that she's a replacement, whether she had anything to do with Strelitzia's disappearance, or the reason behind the replacement.

If you want to know the whole truth, would you just confront the replacement and tell her that you know it's her. I don't think you would, because if she has hidden intentions she probably won't share them with you just because you know she's an impostor.

What you could do to get the replacement to reveal their true nature is let them know you know there's a replacement but that you believe it to be someone else, and that they are now in the clear, allowing you to observe their reactions without arousing their suspicions. And this is what I think Brain did, he set a trap for Skuld and used Ven as the bait.

Ven makes a good fall guy, his timid and self-doubting nature make it easy to paint him as an impostor. He also is friends with the real replacement, and so her reaction to Ven being accused would be very revealing: will she defend her friend or turn on him, if the latter then she would very likely know she is the replacement.

Now, questioning Skuld and making her believe that Brain & Ephemer think her innocent, then revealing that Ven is the replacement, would be much easier without Ven himself present. Also if they spoke to Ven alone then they could let him in on the act, rather than having to convince him that he actually is the replacement (a painful experience for sure, which could leave your heart vulnerable...) This would explain why Ephemer is so pained during the conversation, knowing what they are doing to Ven in pursuit of the truth.

In my theory, Skuld knows she is the replacement, hence her lack of surprise at the Strelitzia reveal and her shock at the Ven reveal. She is likely the killer as well.

That's the theory and the supporting evidence. I have noticed the big weakness of it when watching the scene. Skuld says she received her rulebook from Ava on the same hill as Brain & Ephemer while Ven got his near the tower. However, as @kirabook pointed out, we know Ava didn't give everyone their rulebook on that hill because we saw her give Strelitzia her's in town.

Then the issues are why did Skuld say she got hers on the hill and why did Brain ask the question and what answers did he expect. I can't answer those now but I think they can be explained. In the event, Skuld answering the same as Brain & Ephemer with only Ven different would help lull Skuld into a false sense of security.

On balance, I think the evidence for my theory is strong, and finally I could add that this scene may actually give us a clue as to replacement's motives. Assume Skuld is the killer and replacement, watch the video again carefully, keeping the following assumption (as we still don't know who was to receive the book) in mind:

Now, here is an interesting thought experiment: Let's undo the change Ava made and give the book and the list of names to Strelitzia like they were supposed to go. What happens, what will be different

Thank you for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:

yuyayuzu

Awards
it is quite possible but there are few things that I feel the need to ask? don't ephemer and brain get their book on the hill? If skuld is the imposter/killer , whats her motive? there are many possibilities that I can think of like skuld being ava , skuld works as a spy for one foreteller but none of these seems perfect

I look at the japanese version again

Sorry but no 3 in japanese version feels more like he's saying thats not it rathet than he doesnt feel right . What I want to say is that this isnt right probably is not related to feeling uncomfortable

Last edited:

yuyayuzu

Awards
Wasn't Skuld with the Player when the murder took place? That is as bomb-proof alibi as one can have...

Normally, the one with alibi is the most suspicious in mystery games but this is kingdom hearts so hmm...

D

Deleted member 252753

Wasn't Skuld with the Player when the murder took place? That is as bomb-proof alibi as one can have...
Thank you for pointing that out. You are nearly correct, but that makes all the difference. I have been looking through the videos and found that someone else has put the timeline together very well already.

Here's the key bit:
5. The player and Skuld visit Gula in the house in Daybreak Town.
6. Strelitzia's Chirithy notices player entering the house with Skuld, and leaves to go find Strelitzia.
6. During the visit with Gula, Ava is confronting Luxu on the hilltop.
7. Ava begins the Keyblade war as foretold on the Lost page by striking her Keyblade against Luxu's.
8. Player and Skuld leave the house. Skuld leaves to go join the other Dandelions, while the player goes to battle Dark Chirithy.
9. Strelitzia's Chirithy informs Strelitzia that they saw the player nearby and leads her back to the house that the player and Skuld entered moments ago.
10. When Strelitzia and Chirithy arrive at the house, the player and Skuld have already left.
11. A shadowy figure emerges, strikes down Strelitzia, and takes her rulebook.

So Skuld actually split up from player a little before the murder. From what I have seen I am pretty sure that is correct. Now this alibi has changed into something rather different, a way of placing Skuld near the crime scene shortly before the murder, unaccompanied

EDIT: Incidentally, Gula shares contents of the Lost Page with Skuld and player here, and Skuld does show some interest/concern about it. I don't want to speculate on a possible motive without proof but her knowledge of the Lost Page may provide us with a clue @yuyayuzu [and it's not like anyone has a proper motive for Ventus based on UX, rather than the future]

D

Deleted member 252753

Well, I have a found a lot of evidence but for now the logical proof.

Ventus can't be the replacement. It has to be Skuld.

We know this because only last November, just before he looked at the note, we saw Brain's conversation with Ava, including this:

Brain: Is that so? The five of us are to convene after the war, so you want to avoid any unexpected turn of events that would result in us coming in contact with one another ahead of time. Sounds pretty shady if you ask me. It’s like this is some sort of script.
Ava: Oh Brain, you've always been a bright one

So, if Ava can be believed, the Union Leaders weren't supposed to come into contact with each other before their full meeting together in the Badlands. If this is true, then the replacement would be a leader who did come into contact with another ahead of time, meaning Skuld or Ephemer (apparently Lauriam & Strelitzia weren't in contact in the run-up to the war - a bit of a cheat but you can't escape it at all for Skuld/Ephemer). And we can be pretty sure Ven didn't come into contact with another leader ahead of time. We have seen Ava make Ephemer a Union Leader, therefore the replacement must be Skuld.

This rule was hinted at when Ephemer first learned Skuld was a union leader.

Ephemera: Skuld…You, huh. Skuld: You complaining? I for one assumed you'd be here, Ephemera. Ephemera: No, I've been here with you once before, right? After the great battle. I just didn't think you'd be chosen to be a leader too. Skuld: It was meant to be a secret that we were chosen, after all, until the time came for the five of us to meet here. Ephemera: I guess.

Ephemer was surprised that Skuld was chosen, whereas Skuld wasn't surprised at all to learn that Ephemer was.

Of course, Ava could have been misleading Brain. But I can only think she would do this if she had also faked the note in order to frame a real union leader as a replacement. This could work but then her fake rule would allow her to frame Skuld or Ephemer, definitely not Ven.

The logic is pretty solid so unless Nomura retcons the Brain/Ava conversation from 4 months ago, the replacement must be Skuld.

Plus, Brain is not surprised when he reads the note, staying 'I knew it', suggesting he already suspected the replacement. The Ava flashback just before indicates that he would suspect Skuld, not Ven, so one would expect him to be surprised if Ven's name were not on the note.

I can show why Brain would suspect Skuld even before then and have got a lot of other narrative evidence pointing to Skuld, which I will put here when I can. But one big thing is that Skuld and Ephemer meeting before the proper time was not an accident. The first time we meet Skuld in X, she is seeking out Ephemer and gets Player's help to find him.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
it is quite possible but there are few things that I feel the need to ask? don't ephemer and brain get their book on the hill? If skuld is the imposter/killer , whats her motive? there are many possibilities that I can think of like skuld being ava , skuld works as a spy for one foreteller but none of these seems perfect

I look at the japanese version again

Sorry but no 3 in japanese version feels more like he's saying thats not it rathet than he doesnt feel right . What I want to say is that this isnt right probably is not related to feeling uncomfortable

Oh snap! Thanks for pointing that out, I'll go fix it right away~

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I'm not sure I follow everything that's been going on but I say the killer is Skuld! It's too obvious if it was Ventus. Throw a curve ball and make it be Skuld! Has Skuld done anything major in the story? Again, I haven't been following this as well as I should have. Skuld can be the killer and the plot twist can be she's being possessed by Gula.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
I'm not sure I follow everything that's been going on but I say the killer is Skuld! It's too obvious if it was Ventus. Throw a curve ball and make it be Skuld! Has Skuld done anything major in the story? Again, I haven't been following this as well as I should have. Skuld can be the killer and the plot twist can be she's being possessed by Gula.

She's been stuck with Ven for the past however many months. Everyone else has been off progressing the plot and these two have been either reading books or talking about building snowmen.

yuyayuzu

Awards

possesed by gula is possible enough . I have seen the arguments of skuld cannot be because we know her personality but there is already case is bbs where terra is possesed so it is not totally impossible at all. But I really wonder if nomura would really make a female character so important. Well, there's aqua but i dunno

D

Deleted member 252753

possesed by gula is possible enough . I have seen the arguments of skuld cannot be because we know her personality but there is already case is bbs where terra is possesed so it is not totally impossible at all. But I really wonder if nomura would really make a female character so important. Well, there's aqua but i dunno
And there is actually another side to Skuld's personality. The first time we see Skuld she's angry about the unions competing with each other, and then she changes to a calm, smiling manner when she starts talking to Player.

She shows her dislike of unions fighting each other more in the run-up to the Keyblade War, which makes it seem odd that Skuld is so keen to follow the rules to the letter as a union leader: Brain calls her a 'straight-laced girl' at their first meeting when she insists on following the rules as laws (and then later she votes to break the rules on the Shift Pride).

And as you have noticed, Skuld has been staring at the floor a lot recently, like she has something to hide.

By the way, there's no need to be sorry for improving the translation. It's a public service!

SweetYetSalty

Awards
She's been stuck with Ven for the past however many months. Everyone else has been off progressing the plot and these two have been either reading books or talking about building snowmen.
What? That is it? Is it interesting when she's talking about building a snowman or reading books? Like does she give herself a accent when reading or acting out whatever she's reading? How am I suppose to get attached to this character if she won't do anything?!

Maybe she has a split personality! But I'm leaning more towards Gula possession because it is my belief that everything bad happening in this ancient Keyblade era is all Gula's fault!

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
What? That is it? Is it interesting when she's talking about building a snowman or reading books? Like does she give herself a accent when reading or acting out whatever she's reading? How am I suppose to get attached to this character if she won't do anything?!

They're not reading the books aloud. It's mostly that they are shown reading and then get distracted by something that makes them reconvene with the others.

As for the snowman thing, she and Ven were taking a stroll in town and then it randomly started snowing in that one location lmao

SweetYetSalty

Awards
They're not reading the books aloud. It's mostly that they are shown reading and then get distracted by something that makes them reconvene with the others.

As for the snowman thing, she and Ven were taking a stroll in town and then it randomly started snowing in that one location lmao
Skuld needs to be the killer! Bring some interest to her and make her cool and mysterious. If Skuld is not the killer I will riot! Well unless the killer turns out to be Gula.

D

Deleted member 252753

Skuld needs to be the killer! Bring some interest to her and make her cool and mysterious. If Skuld is not the killer I will riot! Well unless the killer turns out to be Gula.
I will riot too! (on the inside). Looking at every scene, I really think there are a lot of clues pointing to Skuld and pretty much none to any other characters which aren't people saying 'I will become the virus' and 'Ven's the replacement' or us knowing about Marluxia/Vanitas in the future.

I am open to Gula's involvement though. He is dead suspicious in Back Cover and he, Skuld and Ven are all kind of loners. Gula doesn't think of the other foretellers as comrades (Back Cover journal), Ventus says he didn't have friends before meeting the other leaders, and all of Skuld's friends abandoned her after Ephemer left her party, which sounds really painful.

And the MoM said the darkness can change shape and hide inside people so I can maybe see the darkness hopping from Gula, to Skuld, then to Ven ('the darkness of being alone' - Young Xehanort)

SweetYetSalty

Awards
I will riot too! (on the inside). Looking at every scene, I really think there are a lot of clues pointing to Skuld and pretty much none to any other characters which aren't people saying 'I will become the virus' and 'Ven's the replacement' or us knowing about Marluxia/Vanitas in the future.

I am open to Gula's involvement though. He is dead suspicious in Back Cover and he, Skuld and Ven are all kind of loners. Gula doesn't think of the other foretellers as comrades (Back Cover journal), Ventus says he didn't have friends before meeting the other leaders, and all of Skuld's friends abandoned her after Ephemer left her party, which sounds really painful.

And the MoM said the darkness can change shape and hide inside people so I can maybe see the darkness hopping from Gula, to Skuld, then to Ven ('the darkness of being alone' - Young Xehanort)
Wow! This all sounds cool. When it comes to Gula I was just saying that because I didn't like his attitude in Back Cover, so any excuse to put blame on him I jump at the chance. But this sounds quite interesting with the whole 'no friends' thing. I really have to start getting into more of the union stuff, but the updates and such are all over the place it's hard for me to keep up. Like can't they just put all these story events in a single game to follow? I wanna get more into this but it's not easy :(

As for Skuld, she must be the killer and she'll receive a severe "Skulding" for it.

yuyayuzu

Awards

If Skuld is really possesed by darkness, I hope in the future games Ven will talk with her? I can't find an appropiate word now but I think there are some things that they can only talk with each other due to similar situation.

D

Deleted member 252753

. I really have to start getting into more of the union stuff, but the updates and such are all over the place it's hard for me to keep up. Like can't they just put all these story events in a single game to follow? I wanna get more into this but it's not easy :(
Yeah I went back recently to look through all the main story scenes I could find and it wasn't so easy, though this forum and the transcriptions are really handy.(Thank you @Sign)
And I assume that stuff about Skuld in cutscenes from years ago is still valid but it's been so long maybe Nomura has just decided to ignore/retcon it and I am wasting my time.

Ink Ribbon

Awards
This is actually a really great theory, Dast. We know so little about Skuld and this would be an interesting twist for her character. Can you imagine everyone's reaction if this turned out to be true? Poor Lauriam would probably go nuts! We could use some more female villains.

D

Deleted member 252753

This is actually a really great theory, Dast. We know so little about Skuld and this would be an interesting twist for her character. Can you imagine everyone's reaction if this turned out to be true? Poor Lauriam would probably go nuts! We could use some more female villains.
Thanks, that is really kind of you to say. I am probably wrong but I think it would be a lot more interesting for Skuld to be the killer than Ven

Back