• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Theory on the significance of Roxas's checkered wristband (Some Spoilers)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Soldier

Awards
Hello,

Now i know that Roxas's checkered pattern on his clothes has to do with light and darkness. Of course, it's kingdom hearts we all know that. But I want to propose an alternate theory. Black and white checkered patterns are often associated with the game of Chess (where two sides develop strategies to defeat the other). And when you think about it, for most of the games Roxas appears in, he is effectively a pawn in the game.
Think about it:
KH 358/2 days: Xemnas wants to collect hearts for kingdom hearts. To do that he needs a keyblade to release them. He ORDERS Roxas around to go on missions and collect said hearts. Roxas and the other members of the organization are pawns in Xemnas's game.
KH 2: Roxas is taken by DiZ to live out his final days in a simulated twilight town before merging with Sora. When Sora awakens after being recompleted, he effectively does DiZ's bidding by taking down the remaining organization members. The methodical way DiZ uses Sora to enact revenge is similar to deploying a unit in a game of chess. Once again, Roxas is a pawn in DiZ's game, further pointed out by the "racism" DiZ demonstrates throughout the game.
KH 3: We've all seen the promos about the two boys playing chess, I dont think i need to point this one out.

Recon

Art of War
Awards
Soldier, you always amaze me with your deep thinking. This one perhaps is too deep.

I always believed the checkered pattern on Roxas is just a design choice. After all, Nomura is quite the designer. And while I do agree it could represent or symbolize light/darkness, to me it’s just a stylish choice Nomura made.

I mean, we even see checkered design in modern clothing. Take a look at the classic checkered Vans most kids wear. It’s a design choice Vans made. And while I do agree it represents something more in Kingdom Hearts, but that’s just really it. (To me at least)

But I like the way you think! Never change.

Soldier

Awards
Soldier, you always amaze me with your deep thinking. This one perhaps is too deep.

I always believed the checkered pattern on Roxas is just a design choice. After all, Nomura is quite the designer. And while I do agree it could represent or symbolize light/darkness, to me it’s just a stylish choice Nomura made.

I mean, we even see checkered design in modern clothing. Take a look at the classic checkered Vans most kids wear. It’s a design choice Vans made. And while I do agree it represents something more in Kingdom Hearts, but that’s just really it. (To me at least)

But I like the way you think! Never change.
Yeah, i'll admit I was grasping for straws with this one. Honestly I was just sitting in anthropology class and the professor just happened to mention chess, and then this happened.

SerDuncan

I would agree that this is too deep... except for the weird coincidence that is the checkered pattern on Ventus' shirt. Somewheres in this forum, there's a thread where we discussing on Ventus' shirt design changes for a portion of 0.2. I can't help but wonder if Roxas/Ventus chessboard imagery is significant of some larger role that the two of them will play in the continuing saga.

ryder16

I would agree that this is too deep... except for the weird coincidence that is the checkered pattern on Ventus' shirt. Somewheres in this forum, there's a thread where we discussing on Ventus' shirt design changes for a portion of 0.2. I can't help but wonder if Roxas/Ventus chessboard imagery is significant of some larger role that the two of them will play in the continuing saga.
I would not be surprised.

EliDZ

Website
www.youtube.com
Hello,

Now i know that Roxas's checkered pattern on his clothes has to do with light and darkness. Of course, it's kingdom hearts we all know that. But I want to propose an alternate theory. Black and white checkered patterns are often associated with the game of Chess (where two sides develop strategies to defeat the other). And when you think about it, for most of the games Roxas appears in, he is effectively a pawn in the game.
Think about it:
KH 358/2 days: Xemnas wants to collect hearts for kingdom hearts. To do that he needs a keyblade to release them. He ORDERS Roxas around to go on missions and collect said hearts. Roxas and the other members of the organization are pawns in Xemnas's game.
KH 2: Roxas is taken by DiZ to live out his final days in a simulated twilight town before merging with Sora. When Sora awakens after being recompleted, he effectively does DiZ's bidding by taking down the remaining organization members. The methodical way DiZ uses Sora to enact revenge is similar to deploying a unit in a game of chess. Once again, Roxas is a pawn in DiZ's game, further pointed out by the "racism" DiZ demonstrates throughout the game.
KH 3: We've all seen the promos about the two boys playing chess, I dont think i need to point this one out.

I like this a lot. You don't have to look at it as you were looking at it too deep. Sometimes you may be looking far enough but it's in the wrong direction. SO you figured that the checker patter can also represent light and dark. So maybe rather than that symbolism being attributed to Roxas it's meant for Xehanort and Eraqus.

ryder16

I like this a lot. You don't have to look at it as you were looking at it too deep. Sometimes you may be looking far enough but it's in the wrong direction. SO you figured that the checker patter can also represent light and dark. So maybe rather than that symbolism being attributed to Roxas it's meant for Xehanort and Eraqus.
oh... had not thought of that one.

Back