• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Theory Behind Riku and Sora's powers (BBS related)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
We remember Nomura saying that Sora can wield two Keyblades because Roxas can (who has all of the abilities of Sora).When Nomura was prompted to go into further detail, he mentioned that he couldn’t reveal all that yet due to the fact that it’s connected to Xehanort’s memories. The obvious answer would be to assume that the reason why Sora can wield two Keyblades is because he has two hearts, his own, and the assumed heart of Ven (the heart of another Keyblade wielder). Even though it seems like wielding two Keyblades is an unnatural phenomenon (considering Mickey has two Keyblades yet only uses one during the events of KH2), there is a case in the gameplay that suggests otherwise in Riku’s case. V

YouTube - Kingdom Hearts 2 - Xemnas Final Battle

If you watched the video between 28-29 seconds, you can see for a brief moment in which Riku, as well was seen being able to wield two Keyblades as he takes hold of Sora’s prior to handing it back. Towards the end of that video, we also see Riku handing Sora the Way to Dawn, this hints that he really can wield two Keyblades without driving (as Nomura explained).

However, it would seem that having two hearts shouldn’t have anything to do with wielding two Keyblades, considering Riku was able to do it also. Yet, Nomura put a strong emphasis on Sora wielding two Keyblades; that must mean there is more special behind that.

Though, the argument to the statement above would be to suggest that Riku as well, has two hearts, if we were to assume that the heart of Xehanort wasn’t fully erased, but more like suppressed further by the light from the exploding heart absorber machine. On inspection, it would be assumable to say that since Xehanort’s Heart is in a way connected to the hearts of Terra, Master Xehanort, and Vantias all whom were recognized as powerful wielders of the Keyblade.

However, an argument to that statement would be to assume that the light from the exploding machine eradicated all of the darkness that Xehanort’s Heartless had over Riku’s heart. To suggest that would be to look at the new information made present in 358 ½ days. When the heartless and nobody of a somebody are destroyed, the somebody is recombined and becomes their original selves. If 358 ½ days is hinting towards the return of an important aspect to the plot of the next entry in the series, Xehanort being restored would seem likely.

This brings me back to one of the previous point if that’s truly the case. Two hearts isn’t a viable solution to Sora being able to wield two Keyblades. I also want to bring something else up. It seems that both Sora and Riku now have two Keyblades each. Riku has the Way to Dawn however, it was later revealed towards the end of KH2 that he has another Keyblade, the one he gives to Kairi (assumingly temporarily).

Whether or, not the design of Riku’s second Keyblade was in its original form or, influenced by the memories (giving it a different shape and form) is yet to be determined. Now, you guys might think I’m crazy to say Sora has two Keyblades, but I’m just going to go right ahead and say it. When Sora reached Yensid’s castle, he was granted some new abilities, a new suit that draws out the potential of Sora’s power as well as a second Keyblade, The Star Seeker.

The reason why I say the Star Seeker isn’t a Keychain is because a Keyblade was awakened in Sora’s left hand (so, there’s nothing to tie down a Keychain to if there’s no Keyblade present). This brings me to the point that the Star Seeker is the default Keyblade for Sora’s left hand while the Kingdom Key is the default Keyblade for Sora’s right. So Sora should have two Keyblades instead of one. Something else to bring up is that the Star Seeker was used as Mickey’s original Keyblade during the events of BBS and up until he ventures through the realm of darkness and discovered the Kingdom Key Darkside. This is fact that the Star Seeker isn’t some false weapon.

You might ask how come Mickey doesn’t use both Keyblades? Well I’m suggesting it takes a special knack and or, talent to be able to wield two Keyblades. So, Mickey (who was confirmed to have paid Yensid a visit might have dropped it off so Sora could pick it up, considering Yensid was filled in my Mickey). Then, you guys would ask how did Mickey know that Sora could wield a second Keyblade? I would say well because of the events of BBS (which in turn might be connected to Xehanort’s memories). My guess would be that Mickey somehow left the Keyblade there, and once Sora’s heart got stronger (from activating Valor, the Keyblade Chose him).

Now, how come Sora wasn’t able to use his second Keyblade during the events of KH2 without driving? Well I’m guessing that Sora wasn’t able to fully tap into his powers (at least, not on his own). In KH it was made clear that Sora said he doesn’t care if he doesn’t have a weapon. He said alone, his heart may be weak however, with the hearts of his friends combined, their hearts can be one. He goes on to say that his friends are his power that would suggest why he needs the power of his friends to fuel the transformation of his suit and to unlock his second Keyblade (which requires an immense power I would assume). Until Sora develops his heart into a stronger entity under a different category, he probably won’t be able to call upon his second Keyblade.

This brings me to another point. The Drive forms Sora uses throughout KH2 could in fact be related to the armor forms used by Terra, Aqua, and Ven. In KH2, up in Yensid’s castle, the mirrors all reflect something in regards to Sora’s power and how he uses the Keyblade when he dons one of the drive forms.

The bit on the Final Form reads as follows “An image of the Keyblade unleashing its ultimate power flows into your mind.” This in a way reminds me of the bit of information in regards to the Lingering Sentiment’s note in Jiminy’s Journal. It was stated that the armor used by Lingering Sentiment allowed him to Master the Keyblade better than Sora. And if you piece this together with the fact that Sora’s drives allows him to use abilities he wouldn’t normally be able to pull off suggests there’s a connection between Sora’s drive forms and the armor forms used in BBS.

Another thing that peaks my interest is that Sora’s outfit in KH2 has cross shaped designs. One design each on Sora’s fingerless grip gloves, one design each on the red pouches sagging to the side of each thigh, and crossed shaped straps above Sora’s crouch, and one in the back hoisting his uniform together. Now if we look at Terra, Aqua, Master Eraqus and Ven’s uniforms, we can see the cross shaped straps that hoist their torso’s clothing together. Those designs are closely related to Sora’s uniform in KH2. Perhaps a similar technology is employed that allows them to tap into their hidden potential with the Keyblade.

Anyway on to why Sora and Riku can wield two Keyblades. I believe both Sora and Riku were given the power to wield the Keyblade while at the same time, they’ve developed their hearts to be able to use their own Keyblades. This would be the reason as to why both Sora and Riku can be seen to wield two Keyblades at one time.

In BBS, the Master Qualification Exam tests whether or, not a person’s heart is suitable for wielding the Keyblade. Perhaps when someone passes down the power to wield the Keyblade to someone else, a similar test must be conducted. I don’t like to bring up Terra is Xehanort, or at least part of him at this point, but I need to for the sake of the theory. If Terra chose Riku to wield the Keyblade (based off the qualifying characteristics), that would mean Riku’s first Keyblade is established however, where does this leave the person who imparts the Keyblade?

I say that person loses his ability to ever wield the Keyblade again. This, would explain why no matter how strong Xehanort’s Heart was (so strong and capable of controlling the darkness and being able to retain all of his emotions and feelings of before) he was still unable to wield the Keyblade when he was an apprentice of Ansem. Xehanort was said to be super natural due to his ability to comprehend matters above even a skilled genius, yet he couldn’t use the Keyblade. Xehanort also had a great fixation of the Keyblade, even going so far to send a POH to connect to the heart of a Keyblade wielder.

While at the same time, Lingering Sentiment noticed that the Keyblade was in Sora’s hand instead of Riku’s. Perhaps Lingering Sentiment doesn’t quite exist in the same time frame as Sora does. Perhaps since the portal was linked to a corridor in Disney Castle (which is infamous for time warps and what not). Or, this version of Terra is a remnant of his lost self. More like a spirit perhaps. He shouldn't be tangibly real.

So basically, since the Keyblade ditched Riku (despite him having Terra’s power to channel and forge a Keyblade from whatever conditions) Sora obtained his first Keyblade because the strength of his heart was the next best in line. Sora is able to wield his second Keyblade because I too think that Ven gave up his power to Sora, so that he would be able to potentially counteract Terra’s mistake (which would be Riku getting the Keyblade and running amuck [though that didn’t happen, but perhaps of a kind of foreshadow to the events in KH]).

Riku’s heart later strengthened as he no longer became a slave to darkness, he, more or, less became a commander of it, so Terra’s power awakened one of Riku’s Keyblades, while the next one was awakened due to the strength of Riku’s natural heart through each tough and heart wrenching experience through fighting of Ansem SOD and using his heart to balance out his darkness with the light.

So to wrap everything up, using two Keyblades at once is only possible if that wielder’s heart is strong enough to use one as well as being given the power to use one from a previous wielder however, the person who imparted the power no longer can wield the Keyblade. Mickey can only wield one Keyblade because the energies require for wielding a second one wasn’t channeled into Mickey. So he’s only relying on his own power, not the power of a previous wielder unlike Sora and Riku. Riku and Sora both have two Keyblades each. An example of the power of a Keyblade being channeled and given away (to someone capable) could follow along a similar concept of Master Xehanort reducing his Keyblade into a orb of purplish, darkish power during the Secret Ending from Final Mix+. If one’s heart isn’t strong enough, the power embedded into a wielder might not be realized until that person somehow crosses his, or hers limitation (using whatever method required).

I’m open for suggestions and criticism.

Last edited:

αsiя

space coke
I like this theory but when you say that Riku can wield a second keyblade based on the fact that he hold it for a second and tossed it to Sora kinda makes it doubtful because we have seen other characters wield the keyblade for example Leon

Around 3:10
We see Leon hold the keyblade slight longer than Riku did in the Xemnas battle but of course it went back to Sora
So can Leon wield the keyblade
probably not

I'm not doubting you here
I do believe that Riku can wield two keyblades (seen from the keyblade he gave to kairi)

Well I agree on everything else of this theory

Last edited:

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
^hmm. Yeah... Though it transferred to Sora when he swung it. Riku physically tossed it do him (which might show he has control over a second Keyblade). Like when Sparrow had the Keyblade however, it later materialized in Sora's hand instead of Sparrow giving it to him physically. Then again, they had to get it from Sora some how when Leon fought. I don't think saying it followed him to the room is all that viable...

Though I would like to know of the others who did that thing with holding Keyblade (kind of forgot). It's a small hole I agree...

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
^hmm. Yeah... Though it transferred to Sora when he swung it. Riku physically tossed it do him (which might show he has control over a second Keyblade). Like when Sparrow had the Keyblade however, it later materialized in Sora's hand instead of Sparrow giving it to him physically. Then again, they had to get it from Sora some how when Leon fought. I don't think saying it followed him to the room is all that viable...

Though I would like to know of the others who did that thing with holding Keyblade (kind of forgot). It's a small hole I agree...

hmm, I don't think it's really that much of a hole. Leon probably had to hold on to the keyblade because I think that there is a bond between the wielder's heart and the keyblade. The keyblade probably wouldn't have returned to Sora while he was conciseness because the keyblade needs to be either knowingly called back, or it will return to the wielder's possession when the heart isn't under a great deal of stress (A reason why KK didn't return to Sora when he lost it when fighting Roxas, and then had to be forcibly sommoned when he calmed down for bit). Also, it seems when passing the keyblade from one wielder to another, it has to be physically given to ( Like in the Xemnas fight and when Sora met Riku in traverse town, but materializes in the wielder's hand when passed to a wielder from a non wielder( Jack Sparrow like you said and Leon in Traverse Town when he talks to Sora about the heartless).
Overall, I like your theory.

Last edited:

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
^Yeah, you got the part I was trying to explain.

There seems to be a difference between the mutual swaping of Keyblades between those who share a connection to the Keyblade.

Roxas threw his Oblivion to Riku (Riku caught it physically).

How the Keyblade just instantly left Jack and Leon's hands with the quickness kind of hints that they weren't suited for even doing anything with it... Tossing the Keyblade is in a sense, using it to a degree...

Yuuki

I'm the darkness within the shadows
lets see, good theory but the drive forms only activate the dual wielding thats all there is to it.

The reason why I say the Star Seeker isn’t a Keychain is because a Keyblade was awakened in Sora’s left hand (so, there’s nothing to tie down a Keychain to if there’s no Keyblade present). This brings me to the point that the Star Seeker is the default Keyblade for Sora’s left hand while the Kingdom Key is the default Keyblade for Sora’s right. So Sora should have two Keyblades instead of one. Something else to bring up is that the Star Seeker was used as Mickey’s original Keyblade during the events of BBS and up until he ventures through the realm of darkness and discovered the Kingdom Key Darkside. This is fact that the Star Seeker isn’t some false weapon.

heres why i dont agree with this, roxas was able to dual wield before sora was awake, in KH2 when roxas goes back to sora and he wakes up, sora got the other keyblade roxas had, when sora got to yen sid's tower and got the drive form he got the star seeker keychain wich gave the other keyblade a form.

im guessing in birth by sleep mickey was training to be a keyblade master and had a keyblade but wasnt complete, after going to the realm of darkness he got the keyblade complete making it change to the KKI

Satoshi

I agree with Dice on this, 'cause it's no major hole.
Still, big enough to put a finger through and thus worth a glomp.=)

The Conquerer

The Bloody Warrior
Awards
heres why i dont agree with this, roxas was able to dual wield before sora was awake, in KH2 when roxas goes back to sora and he wakes up, sora got the other keyblade roxas had, when sora got to yen sid's tower and got the drive form he got the star seeker keychain wich gave the other keyblade a form.

Well, I said Sora always had the potential to wield two Keyblades at once however, his heart wasn't strong enough to forge the second one at that point in time (without the power of drives in which combines the powers of his allies); perhaps Sora needs more experience getting his heart stronger. Like for example if I give someone a broadsword, not many people that person know could use it however, if that person gets stronger, he'd find out that he could very well use it in combat. Perhaps the ability to wield the power of a previous Keyblade wielder follows along that logic.

Though, I thought Xion joining with Roxas awakened the second Keyblade in him. I'll have to suggest that Roxas was closer to Ven's power than Sora was given his appearance and all. Maybe the added powers from Sora's memories fueled the development of that second Keyblade in Roxas' case.

Sora who has no memories of Castle Oblivion or, of Roxas's story (to our knowledge at least) probably didn't awaken the knack for wielding two Keyblades (so the second one isn't forged or, doesnt materialize and choose him or, what not from whatever circumstances). My agruement is that since Sora was unable to call upon his second Keyblade (due to the lack of memory), Mickey's Keyblade served as a placement. When he uses drives, he calls upon the Star Seeker and equips Keychains to that.

Though, I'm not confident on this explanation here.

im guessing in birth by sleep mickey was training to be a keyblade master and had a keyblade but wasnt complete, after going to the realm of darkness he got the keyblade complete making it change to the KKI

Though, there's nothing to hint towards Mickey's Star Seeker not being a whole Keyblade. The reason why it had to be a different one, was because Mickey needed a realm of darkness Keyblade. His realm of Light Keyblade was no good for sealing the door to darkness from the darkside. So, he had to find a dark realm's Keyblade that would be polar opposite to that of Sora's, so that they both could close the door to darkness.

boya3ga

wow ... first theory that makes sense tried to deny it but couldnt

well i am glad you know everything about the plot and not a total noob who dont know what he is talking about

"Claps"

Yuuki

I'm the darkness within the shadows
Well, I said Sora always had the potential to wield two Keyblades at once however, his heart wasn't strong enough to forge the second one at that point in time (without the power of drives in which combines the powers of his allies); perhaps Sora needs more experience getting his heart stronger. Like for example if I give someone a broadsword, not many people that person know could use it however, if that person gets stronger, he'd find out that he could very well use it in combat. Perhaps the ability to wield the power of a previous Keyblade wielder follows along that logic.

Though, I thought Xion joining with Roxas awakened the second Keyblade in him. I'll have to suggest that Roxas was closer to Ven's power than Sora was given his appearance and all. Maybe the added powers from Sora's memories fueled the development of that second Keyblade in Roxas' case.

Sora who has no memories of Castle Oblivion or, of Roxas's story (to our knowledge at least) probably didn't awaken the knack for wielding two Keyblades (so the second one isn't forged or, doesnt materialize and choose him or, what not from whatever circumstances). My agruement is that since Sora was unable to call upon his second Keyblade (due to the lack of memory), Mickey's Keyblade served as a placement. When he uses drives, he calls upon the Star Seeker and equips Keychains to that.

Though, I'm not confident on this explanation here.
how could mickey's keyblade served as a placement when sora already had the other keyblade roxas got, the form activates it, since sora didnt have any keychains he got the star seeker keychain wich gave the keyblade a form not get mickeys keyblade XD

also sora was able to put the star seeker keychain on his kingdom key so thats one of the reasons i dont think the star seeker is another "keyblade"

if sora got mickeys star seeker then that would mean sora got 3 keyblades counting the keydom key, the other keyblade roxas had and star seeker XD

am i wrong?

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
how could mickey's keyblade served as a placement when sora already had the other keyblade roxas got, the form activates it, since sora didnt have any keychains he got the star seeker keychain wich gave the keyblade a form not get mickeys keyblade XD

also sora was able to put the star seeker keychain on his kingdom key so thats one of the reasons i dont think the star seeker is another "keyblade"

if sora got mickeys star seeker then that would mean sora got 3 keyblades counting the keydom key, the other keyblade roxas had and star seeker XD

am i wrong?

He might have three keyblades, but the power that was given to him might have been only intended for Sora to use one of the other keyblades, which was probably the one that Mickey left behind due to the fact that the events of Roxas might have been unknown to Yen Sid (Although, the fact that Yen Sid was aware of Organization XIII makes this a little questionable). Sora probably doesn't have the skill to either knowingly or accidentally come across the power of a third keyblade, as having the skill and power to wield three keyblades might be too much for one being.

I think that the Star Seeker is another keyblade, but Sora only has enough power to have it with him as a keychain in his normal form and needs to be attached to another keyblade to release its true form.

Last edited:

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D

am i wrong?

Not necciarily if we look at days Roxas wilded two kingdom keys before they tranformed into Oblivion and Oathkeeper the same could apply to the starseeker if the KK is the base form of the keyblade. the second KK transform into the starseeker

AxelsVirtue

1. Any Keyblade wielder can wield another's Keyblade if the other wielder allows it.
  2. I posted a theory a while ago suggesting that (among other things) Roxas was the combination of Sora's Nobody and Ventus' heart. The drive forms allow Sora's heart to connect with the other hearts inside himself. Most of the drive forms involve using Ven's Keyblade with his own, which he was not able to do before the events in Hollow Bastion (suggesting that he did not have Ven's heart until after he was rejoined with Roxas.
  3. Xion likely possessed Aqua's heart which entered Roxas when she was destroyed, which would explain why Roxas suddenly had 2 Keyblades immediately afterward. And Sora's Wisdom form only has 1 Keyblade, and is specialized in magic as well as being blue (just like Aqua).
  4. The Kingdom Key is not the base form. Why, because it has a Keychain.

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D
  1. Any Keyblade wielder can wield another's Keyblade if the other wielder allows it.
  2. I posted a theory a while ago suggesting that (among other things) Roxas was the combination of Sora's Nobody and Ventus' heart. The drive forms allow Sora's heart to connect with the other hearts inside himself. Most of the drive forms involve using Ven's Keyblade with his own, which he was not able to do before the events in Hollow Bastion (suggesting that he did not have Ven's heart until after he was rejoined with Roxas.
  3. Xion likely possessed Aqua's heart which entered Roxas when she was destroyed, which would explain why Roxas suddenly had 2 Keyblades immediately afterward. And Sora's Wisdom form only has 1 Keyblade, and is specialized in magic as well as being blue (just like Aqua).
  4. The Kingdom Key is not the base form. Why, because it has a Keychain.

WOW Aqua heart in xion huh you sound stupid. The KK is the base form deal with it if it didn't have a keychain then it would be a fake keyblade. Sora only had two heart inside him Kari's and his.

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
WOW Aqua heart in xion huh you sound stupid. The KK is the base form deal with it if it didn't have a keychain then it would be a fake keyblade. Sora only had two heart inside him Kari's and his.

Now no, no need to call each other stupid. But you are right about KK being the true form, heck it even says it in the game.

Evello

The Radiant Hero
Awards
I've got one problem with this theory, and one of speculation. First, if Sora got the Star Seeker from Mickey, then why can he equip that keychain to his KK? He may have gotten his second keyblade from Mickey, but it was probably another KK, or some other yet-to-be-seen keyblade.

And, to clarify, Sora basically stole Riku's first keyblade (the KK, which may have been given to him by Terra). If this happened, then Sora cannot have recieved a keyblade from Mickey and Ven, because then he'd be triple-wielding. And why, when Roxas fused with Xion, did he suddenly become able to dual-wield? She was a copy, with no part of Ven's heart, so fusing with her did not give him access to any other keyblades, nor did it noticeably awaken any part of Roxas/Ven's heart. Roxas should have been able to use two keyblades the whole time by your theory. And, if Xion did somehow give Roxas a second keyblade (his first being Ven's), and Sora got one from Riku and one from Mickey, Sora is now quadruple wielding.

My bit of speculation is that Vanitas' heart may be in Riku, which would allow him to dual wield by the two-hearts=dual wield theory. The Terra=XH theory never requires that Vanitas be thrown in the mix, only Terra and MX.

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
And why, when Roxas fused with Xion, did he suddenly become able to dual-wield? She was a copy, with no part of Ven's heart, so fusing with her did not give him access to any other keyblades, nor did it noticeably awaken any part of Roxas/Ven's heart. Roxas should have been able to use two keyblades the whole time by your theory. And, if Xion did somehow give Roxas a second keyblade (his first being Ven's), and Sora got one from Riku and one from Mickey, Sora is now quadruple wielding.

Well, Roxas probably was able to dual wield, but he just didn't know how. He probably needed some outside assistance to help him gain that ability. So when Xion fused with Roxas, he was able to gain the memories that Xion held. (It may not be gaining another heart but as Marluxia says, a heart without memories is just an empty shell, so the memories acted as a makeshift heart.) So when Roxas lost his memories of Xion, he temporarily lost his ability to dual wield, but later got that power back when he recovered his memories was going to fight Axel, perhaps unconsciously reminded by Xion's memories when she had to fight Axel.

I keep getting lost in the number of keyblades, but it's like I said before, Sora may be able to triple wield should he have a third keyblade locked away, but just doesn't have the amount of skill.

kidodarkness

Did anybody notice in the Xemnas battle, close to the end, when Sora and Riku shot the beam of light out of the keyblade, Sora was holding Way to the Dawn backwards like Ven

DiceKiller

hope I don't rust
Did anybody notice in the Xemnas battle, close to the end, when Sora and Riku shot the beam of light out of the keyblade, Sora was holding Way to the Dawn backwards like Ven

I think a lot of people noticed, but it's hard to say if that was intended to be shown as a connection, or if it was just for aesthetic purposes (but I really don't think it would matter a lot if he was holding it the other way).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back