• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The YGGDRASIL Project (It's finally here)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord of Chaos

Once more 'round the room we waltz.
I've been promising this one for months now. It's gone under several different names (including Project Somnium, which I believe was the last one) and several different revisions.

As to why this has happened, I'd like to point out, that like most video games/novels/films that end up taking longer, it's because I want to give you guys the best I can come up with. In the past several months, almost all of my Role-Plays have been pretty...basic. Nothing wrong with that mind you--a sword and sorcery RP is as good as any--but I really wanted to let you guys into my head. But I wanted to craft it, and really put thought into it.

Then there's also the fact that the storyline I'm using for this is also the basis for a novel I'm currently writing... or at least in Pre-Production stages of. To that end, know that if this Role-Play succeeds, you could see your characters (or forms of), events, actions, appear in my novel. Of course, nothing is promised and I do have to do as my agent says... but... you never know.

Anyway, that hype aside, I want to keep this a good role-play, I don't want to risk it turning into a monster or dying. This is probably my most important project I have going on right now, to an end at least. With that being said... let's get this going:

"How do you do? Lord of Chaos feels it would be a little unkind to present this work without just a word of friendly warning. We are about to unfold the story of Yggdrasil, a tale of science communing with magic to explore what truly exists beyond our realm. It is one of the strangest tales ever told. It deals with the two great mysteries of creation - life and death. I think it will thrill you. It may shock you. It might even - horrify you. So if any of you feel that you do not care to subject your nerves to such a strain, now's your chance to - uh, well, we warned you."

Journal Entry 57: I just returned from my father's funeral. It was a quiet event, but enough people showed up. They all paid their respects and tried to sound sympathetic, but suicide is never sympathetic in our family--bunch of religious nuts. Anything that gets you sent to Hell is an automatic penalty. I wish those assholes would go jump off a bridge. Collective suicide. That's hilarious. I don't know. I guess I'm being mean, but I'm just confused, you know? Why did he do it? What would drive my father to kill himself? They're letting me have his notebooks... maybe something is in there. They were just work related anyway.

Journal Entry 58: Hey, I know it's been a while, but I've been preoccupied. I was up all night studying my dad's notebooks. There was some interesting stuff they were working on at O-DINE Industries. Granted, I don't understand any of it really, but some of it seems to talk of instantaneous transportation, space travel, reviving the recently deceased... some weird stuff in here. A lot of it deals with psychology, too. Something about the complex mind and "gateways" of understanding. Sounds like babble to me, oh well. The important thing I've found is that there seems to be a code... pages referencing other pages and letters and words. I'm trying to figure out what it all means.

Journal Entry 59: I've figured it out! I spent all day yesterday working on it. I even skipped my classes to go to the library (some kind of irony in that) so I could make sure I was doing everything properly (cryptography isn't my strong suit). If I'm right, then apparently my dad left some kind of journal or diary of his own. It's in the house... I'll have to drive home to find it. My roommate thinks I'm crazy, but oh well. I'll get back to you when I get it and read it. Maybe it'll tell us if there's anything else about his death, or some secret Will. No telling.

Journal Entry 60: I... I don't know what it all means. My father's journal, it just seems like a bunch of nonsense. He keeps talking about having to stop existing in order to exist again? I'm not sure what it's about. I think it might be work-related, because he keeps referencing the YGGDRASIL Project. I looked at his work notebooks. Apparently it was some kind of program for testing the limits of our reality. He has some mentions of "other worlds" or "dimensions"... I'm not sure what any of it is. A gateway? I'm not sure. This is all too much to take in at once. I'll get back to you when I understand more of it... I hope.

Journal Entry 61: I'm starting to get it now. It's been seven weeks since I last wrote, but I'm finally starting to get it. Which scares the living shit out of me. Apparently, our Unconscious goes deeper than anyone thought. It's a connection--not only to other people, but to other
dimensions. That's where our dreams come from--when our minds are trying to communicate with these other dimensions, we get dreams. It's an overload of information. However, it doesn't stop with merely being asleep. No, apparently the comatose can reach even further... though not without drawbacks. Then, there's the dead. If we stop existing in this world, if we know where to aim, we can travel to another world.

What does it have to do with Dad's work though? I think that the gateway formed a bridge to these other worlds. Something to do with resurrection and travel. They tried pulling non-existing ones back here, and in the process breached a bit more and a bit more of that barrier between this dimension and the others. The gateway itself, I think, is a machine that stabilizes this tear. If what I've read is correct, they've been able to send probes and machines and other items into these other dimensions, but only some of them come back. Apparently the things that do come back, are altered or something... I keep reading about "bleeding effects" that don't have anything to do with what's inside of us.

But that's not all. Last night, I tried it. I tried to travel between the barriers. I could have sworn I saw something over there, several somethings. There was a beautiful city, something like a paradise... and there was a cold, vast, desert with ruins that seemed so lonely that I can't begin to describe it. Then I saw something that was so dark that it scared me, and I woke screaming. I think I'm going to try again tonight though.

On another odd note, I've noticed men in these dark suits randomly around campus. I don't know what they want, but someone mentioned they were looking for me. Someone else mentioned they got out of a vehicle that was marked O-DINE. I think I may have found something that they didn't... that my Dad didn't want them to see. I think they're the reason he killed himself, or perhaps this. All I know is that, the final journal entry from my dad read:

"I want to try it. Not existing. I'll miss my family, but I need to see what's out there. I'll aim for Svartálfaheimr..."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the world of The YGGDRASIL Project. In this story, we will address questions such as:

• Where does Science end and Fantasy begin? Is there a peace between the two?
  • Is there life after death?
  • Do other worlds exist?
  • Is Lord of Chaos insane?
  • What does it mean to transcend reality, and can we do it?

The basis of this story is quite simple: A company known as O-DINE has been meddling around with bringing people back from the dead--Cryogenic, preserved, or otherwise. In doing so, they've found that, when we die, our Consciousness/Unconsciousness does not simply cease to be. It, in fact operates at such a low level that our technology as it stands cannot pick it up.

What is our mind doing then? Well, it's simply transported us to a different dimension. Our Earth exists in several forms, but exist they do. They're actually right here, where we our currently, just happening where we can't see. There are 9 worlds, hence why it's known as the YGGDRASIL Project (yes, it wasn't named that originally, but after finding out about other dimensions, it was renamed and reclassified).

They've not sent anything living through the Gateway, at least, not with good results. The Gateway is a machine that maintains hold of the tear in the barrier between our world and the others. It's not huge--only about twenty feet high and fifteen feet wide. It's where all 9 worlds exist at once without destroying one another, thanks to the technology involved. It's situated in Lab 4, where the Resurrection Project was situated (and thus, where the tear formed).

Everytime they've sent some animal (or one of 3 humans) through, they're lost. No, not as in nonreturnable, but as in they're apparently destroyed on a molecular level (the audio recordings of their pain are horrifying). The closest they've ever gotten to retrieving someone was one piece: their hand, and it wasn't even in good condition.

So now, O-DINE is searching for information concerning the Project... which was headed by Dr. Gene Ulwell, who recently committed suicide. His family is being closely watched, especially his oldest son, Brennus Ulwell, who's in college. They want to reach the other worlds at any means necessary. Also... little by little, strange things are happening in all 9 Worlds.

Basically, what's going to happen to us is that I'm Brennus Ulwell, but I'm not the only character. The RP will start with Brennus trying to gather his friends so he can discuss his discovery (all of you, or at least most of you). Note to those paying attention: we will end up being captured. That much is given. It's necessary. Then... well, we go from there, and I can't say much more at the moment.

Here's what to expect from the Sign-Up/Original Post:

• The 9 Worlds/Dimensions: You will learn the names and descriptions of them.
  • Who you can/can't play in this RP
  • Other related things that I can't think of at the moment.

So yeah. This is the start of my Magnum Opus, really. I hope that you all are interested. If you have to choose between this one and my E-Ternity University RP, I'd rather you choose this one. It will be loads of fun.

Questions/Comments/Concerns/Etc.? I want a general feel for the interest in this RP. Also, I want to know if there's anything that you'd like to see discussed, added, subtracted, whatever.

BladezofJustice

Didn't see this before I asked to join the other rp but count me in. Quite an interesting concept and the premise is open enough to lead the story anywhere. I'm game.

Concerning being able to see these barriers between worlds; Brennus Ulwell's character has worked out how to do it obviously but his friends (which will be us, or some of us) have no idea of this concept. Will we eventually learn how to do it consciously, without effort, or is it what makes your character that much more sought out by O-DINE?

Just curious

Lord of Chaos

Once more 'round the room we waltz.
That's a good question Bladez.

Basically, it is the reason O-DINE is seeking him out. It's going to essentially lead to them capturing us, which is necessary. Trust me though, everyone else will see the worlds soon enough.

Also, if you're able to do both RPs, feel free to. I'm just saying that those stretched for time and able to commit to only one... I'd rather it be this one, but I won't be mad if you don't, honestly.

BladezofJustice

That's a good question Bladez.

Basically, it is the reason O-DINE is seeking him out. It's going to essentially lead to them capturing us, which is necessary. Trust me though, everyone else will see the worlds soon enough.

Also, if you're able to do both RPs, feel free to. I'm just saying that those stretched for time and able to commit to only one... I'd rather it be this one, but I won't be mad if you don't, honestly.

Alright cool. But I'm game for both. Haven't rp'd in awhile so it'll be good to stretch the 'ol roleplay muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back