• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Yearly Kingdom Hearts Flaw?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Hawkins

I cannot remember where it is stated, but it is pretty common knowledge by now that Nomura desires to release a Kingdom Hearts game every year. While this sounds great to all KH fans, is it really practical? Below are the years to come, and a possible schedule for released games while being EXTREMELY generous.

2014: Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix
Not much to say here. It's already been confirmed, and will include KH2FM, KHBBSFM, and the cutscenes for ReCoded. This collection will have covered all of the remaining games in the series, except for...

2015: Kingdom Hearts (Re???) Dream Drop Distance
This is the only game in the series that has yet to be discussed for an HD upgrade. Since Nomura wishes for everyone to catch up before KH3 releases, and KH3D being vital to the story, it is safe to assume this will also be rereleased. While I think it is possible to have a "Kingdom Hearts III+" edition that includes both KH3 and KH3D, let's be generous and say that KH3D HD gets this year all to itself.

2016: Kingdom Hearts III
There is nowhere left to hide! This will be the year that KH3 HAS to come out. Since it is still a ways off, I think it is safe to say that KH3 could very easily be released in this year. But, what about after?

2017: Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix???
Whether this is released on a disc, or as DLC, given enough content, this could very easily hold on to a year of its own. Very much how the other Final Mixes had enough hype behind them.

2018: ???
This is where things get confusing (for me at least). Considering how long we had to wait for KH3, this year seems a little too soon for KH4. But it would also feel a little odd to have a non-numbered title lead us into the next saga. I don't know what the game plan is for after KH3.

I know, I KNOW, this is far off into the future and not even worth thinking about at this point, but I was just curious what the community thought about the future of Kingdom Hearts after the third installment?

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
2017: Kingdom Hearts III Final Mix???
Whether this is released on a disc, or as DLC, given enough content, this could very easily hold on to a year of its own. Very much how the other Final Mixes had enough hype behind them.

If there is DLC (and there probably will be since this is the landscape of the industry right now), and this game is a mondo hit (which it probably will be sales-wise), for sure expect a GOTY edition that Nomura will definitely name "Final Mix" that comes with all of the DLC and whatever extras the dev team will throw in, but for the first time be released worldwide because GOTY editions are super common now.

2018: ???
This is where things get confusing (for me at least). Considering how long we had to wait for KH3, this year seems a little too soon for KH4. But it would also feel a little odd to have a non-numbered title lead us into the next saga. I don't know what the game plan is for after KH3.

Probably a break from Kingdom Hearts while Nomura works on something different for a while. Or a massive collection on home consoles that contains 1.5, 2.5, KH3D, and KH3.

Lea

Awards
Website
joshtominus.com
While I would really like Re: DDD, I don't see it coming out in 2015, or even at all. I think it'll be 2014: KHII.V 2015: KHIII only because they have both been announced as games in development and I don't see Square just announcing and releasing a game before KHIII is released. I would accept the idea of like a KHIII+ with KHIII and DDD, but traditionally I wouldn't be a fan of it just because we've waited so long for KHIII and it would feel weird that DDD was thrown into such a highly anticipated game by the fans. I also don't see why DDD would make a PS4 debut along with KHIII while all the previous games were remastered for the PS3. I also find it unrealistic for Re: DDD to come out after KHIII. I would be more than welcome to see it remastered, but I just don't see how it would fit the agenda without disappointing fans, and Square can't really afford to disappoint fans at this pivotal point in their business.

Also, I'd say KHIV is more realistic than an un-numbered title. Like you said, having a new saga starting off without a numbered title would be strange. I also like what Spockanort said about a massive KH collection for the current-gen consoles.

Luap

sans 911
Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
If the yearly releases stop, I wouldn't mind at all. KH3 needs to have a lot of time put into it, although a 2015 release for it doesn't seem too impossible. It's been in some sort of development since mid-2012 and they have a working engine. A Q3 or Q4 2015 release would be over two years of it being in full development.

Nomura said the yearly KH games thing a long time ago. And as far as we know, it was only a want of his and not a rule. I think a large part of Nomura wanting that was to make up for the development hell that was caused by him being in charge of KH2FM/Re:CoM, Days, BBS and Coded (not to mention FFXV) all at the same time where we didn't get a new game for almost three years. 2.5 in 2014 will mark 5 years of KH getting a new title every year. KH's absence during that time is more than made up for and I really doubt Nomura or anyone at SE would be opposed to 2015 not getting a KH game.

Re:3D isn't an impossibility, but I really doubt it. Unless it's included with KH3. Since the standard for their collections seems to be 2 HD remastered games and 1 HD cutscene collection, having a Re:3D all by itself would seem odd.

If DLC happens for KH3, a GOTY/Final Mix edition will follow. It's such commonplace now that it'd be weird if it didn't happen honestly.

After KH3, we know there will be more games. Whether Nomura will want to jump into more KH right after is something we don't know. If he has dumped the one game a year idea by then (if he hasn't already), I can see him doing it here but still making more KH as time goes on. He's no stranger to making multiple games at once and so him making KH4 and something else simultaneously twewy2pls isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I always assumed it was some kind of unspoken promise that Nomura meant one game a year until III.

While I would really like Re: DDD, I don't see it coming out in 2015, or even at all. I think it'll be 2014: KHII.V 2015: KHIII only because they have both been announced as games in development and I don't see Square just announcing and releasing a game before KHIII is released. I would accept the idea of like a KHIII+ with KHIII and DDD, but traditionally I wouldn't be a fan of it just because we've waited so long for KHIII and it would feel weird that DDD was thrown into such a highly anticipated game by the fans. I also don't see why DDD would make a PS4 debut along with KHIII while all the previous games were remastered for the PS3. I also find it unrealistic for Re: DDD to come out after KHIII. I would be more than welcome to see it remastered, but I just don't see how it would fit the agenda without disappointing fans, and Square can't really afford to disappoint fans at this pivotal point in their business.
It's actually really common for game companies to include ports or copies of older games with new titles as incentive. Bioshock, comes to mind for example.

Last edited:

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
I do recall Nomura saying he would "like" to release 1 KH game a year which has been pretty true thus far, but if he faltered and missed a year, I don't think it'd be some unforgivable thing since it wasn't a given rule. As for post-KH3, I don't think he has to stick to the 1 game a year anymore since I assume he wants to start the next saga off with a big game, which would take awhile to make since he wouldn't want to release a portable title to start off the saga. So I'm sure the "1 game a rule" thing he likes will end with KH3 if it even lasts until then.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Pretty sure 2015 is going to be the year that the "one game a year" cycle is broken. Unless we're getting a remaster of DDD, I don't think we'll be getting KH3, so unless Nomura wants to count some sort of Westernization of KHx as 2015's game, then we'll probably see no KH in 2015.

But we'll have the promise of KH3 for 2016, so I think that should suffice honestly.

kingscr34m11

What all do you expect for DLC? If they go the final mix route for DLC that just means we would get optional bosses, and by association extra weapons. They could possibly add extra worlds but that could be a giant hit or miss. Either way not enough to warrant a final mix imo.

But we will get KH3 end of 2015/early 2016. 2.5 is a given but I highly suspect a Re:DDD. Is the engine for 3D that close to a playstation? because that is the deciding factor, so the same reason we didn't get playable 358 or Re:Coded.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
But we will get KH3 end of 2015/early 2016. 2.5 is a given but I highly suspect a Re:DDD. Is the engine for 3D that close to a playstation? because that is the deciding factor, so the same reason we didn't get playable 358 or Re:Coded.

You mean whether or not the 3DS engine is close to that of PS3 or PS4? I'm no expert in this field, but 3DS-to-PS3 port can certainly be done. Take a look at Resident Evil Revelations for instance, which was originally a 3DS game before it was ported over to PS3. Dang, the remade product looks truly beautiful; they even added a new species of monster and kind of overhauled the MP mini-games.

I believe we've only got the movie versions of Days and Re:coded because of time constraint. If memory serves me right, Nomura once said that he had wanted to make a playable remake of Days happen, but couldn't because of this reason.

Alpha Sonix

Since there's talk of a sequel to FFXV being made if they aren't able to expand on the universe as wanted, then that would suffice for a gap between KH3 and KH4. Though I do wonder if it's worth it keeping the numbering for the next saga. I think that the space in between II and III somewhat harmed the series and maybe a departure from numbering would be best. If there's any better a time to do it, it would be after the Seekers of Darkness saga.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Since there's talk of a sequel to FFXV being made if they aren't able to expand on the universe as wanted, then that would suffice for a gap between KH3 and KH4. Though I do wonder if it's worth it keeping the numbering for the next saga. I think that the space in between II and III somewhat harmed the series and maybe a departure from numbering would be best. If there's any better a time to do it, it would be after the Seekers of Darkness saga.

Actually, you may be on to something there as Nomura himself actually hinted that he may want to abandon the "numbered" titles in the future entirely:

Japan Expo interview said:
But again, Kingdom Hearts III is going to be the last chapter of the Kingdom Hearts main numbering title series, ...

It also makes sense in the light of that despite not being "numbered" titles in name, Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance are equal in story importance to the properly "numbered" titles.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Well... Nomura himself hasn't stated that the next game will be called KH4, so anything can happen. All he said regarding the future of KH is that KH3 is not going to be the final game in the series, right? KH4 is just a placeholder title used by fans to refer to the game that will take place after the Xehanort saga, chronologically following KH3.

Truth be told, though, the titles of the non-KH1, non-KH2 games have always been more appealing to me because they feel more representative, even though they make no sense :cough:DDD:cough:. The one that I love the most is probably 358/2 Days, which can be taken to mean the 358 days experienced by the other half. I really wouldn't mind if KH4 takes the title of KH: <insert clever title here>, although at the same time, I'm kind of apprehensive that many people won't treat it as a main game because of being a "non-numbered" game, and that it's going to be BbS or DDD all over again.

But oh well, it's going to be their loss~

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
I really hope they ditch the numbered titles for tor the next saga. KH4 just sounds ridiculous.

In regards to the topic of this thread. I don`t mind if nomura takes a break after KH3. I don`t think there really is any need to release KH games every year.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
After KH3? Yeah, I don't think enforcing the one-game-a-year policy past that point would be wise. They need a break, although if let's say some time after KH3 is released they come up with, like, an ultimate collection spanning from KH1 to KH3 and all the games in between, that would be quite sweet. After that, or otherwise, they probably really should take it slowly and carefully for a better quality of the next game.

And I hope, I really do hope, that Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts will see the glorious light of day someday.

Nazo

Hope Remains
Awards
Theatrhythm: Kingdom Hearts needs to happen. The KH soundtrack is amazing. I'd love a game based entirely around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back