• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The World Ends With You The Animation Episode 9 “Rhyme and Beat” Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Neku and Beat search for Konishi, but they have no leads and something is stopping them from scanning people. Just then, Yashiro and Kariya appear with a challenge. Neku and Beat will have to fight the Reapers if they want to see Rhyme again.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I love how they keep adding new Eri scenes in order to reminds us of Shiki. First the store scene in week 2 and now the one in this episode.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh man the O Pins are worse when you find out it hurts the wearer.

Man, the flashbacks to the moment Beat and Rhyme died was so brief but it really sold the relationship between them 😭

Damn, trash boy is back and ready to strike

“Countless Wrongs of Our Days” AHHHHHHH

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
It was really weird seeing Eri in Shiki's outfit, but I do appreciate how she has more of a presence in this series. I wonder if she'll appear in NEO, after getting this much extra focus.

The backflash to Beat and Rhyme's death was hard hitting. Oddly enough I never envisioned it playing out like that, but I do think it illustrated well what their relationship was and how unfair it all was.

The anime managed to make the unsettling O-Pins even worse. I wonder if we'll be getting the creepy rambling next episode.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
Really liked how they handled the Rhyme subplot here. While having her Noise in a cage is a little cliche, it makes it clearer that they didn’t know it was a fake rather than give them back a pin that could be easily be copied. And having Konishi do nothing to help take the pins off Kariya and Uzuki really illustrates how cold she can be.

Also, on an animation note, it was pretty clever to reuse the shots when Kariya’s talking about Shibuya back then and Shibuya now, keeping the same angles, backgrounds and people , but changing the weather and expressions and adding in the Red Skull pins. While this adaptation has been economic with its time, it was a good example of ‘less is more’ in visual storytelling 👍

Back