• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The World Ends With You - The Animation - Episode 3 ‘Erased’ Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I noticed there wasn’t an episode thread put up yet, so I thought I’d save the mods some time. Apologies in advance if I‘m stepping on anyone’s toes😓

Episode 3: ’Erased’

Synopsis:
As the Reapers Game nears its end, Neku, Shiki, Beat and Rhyme get a mission so easy it seems like a day off. Is this a respite before their looming battle with the Game Master, or one last trap to stop them from ever reaching it?

This episode covers the remaining days of Neku’s first week in the Reaper’s Game, as well as its aftermath.

Have at it, folks!

KudoTsurugi

Awards
To get us started on discussion here’s my thoughts.

This episode was pretty solid... but also heartbreaking 😭 I’ll get to why in a bit, but first some of the moments I liked:

The banter between Uzuki and Kariya, always fun seeing those two interact, and seeing them in the Mexican restaurant in Spain Hill was a nice touch, since we rarely see the inside of the shops. Also liked the foreshadowing for Sota and Nao showing up later in the game through the news bulletin. And the little moment between Neku and Shiki before facing Higashizawa was very cute, I’m glad they kept that in. Also finally getting to hear Walls(that unnamed song that was in the next episode previews and the AX TWEWY anime panel) during the fight was awesome 😎 👍 Hope we get a proper name for it soon, or even a full version. Also, I wasn’t expecting a post credits scene after the ED, but it works for what’s to come.

Annnd now for the heartbreaking moments.
I know Rhyme getting erased by the Shark Noise was going to happen, but the look in her eyes when it does is just.. painful.
And if that wasn’t bad enough, seeing what happened to Shiki when she was taken as a Neku’s entry fee... We didn’t even get that moment where it looked like she was going to be resurrected, just straight up made her dissolve and fade away before Neku’s eyes. If there was a moment for a Big No trope in an English dub, this would be it.
I’m looking forward to when Neku gets to lay the smack down on Shades, because this moment just made me hate him. And that is good for a villain In my eyes.

Overall, it was a good episode, and I’m looking forward to seeing how the anime handles Week 2.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I think this adaption is going well so far, even if the pacing is a bit faster giving the characters less room to breath and develop. The key notes are still being hit. While some moments aren't as strong like Neku having to deal and process with Ryhme's death, other moments like Ryhme's death and Shiki being declared the victor and taken as the entry fee hit harder and better in the anime.

I find it interesting that they had Shiki take over for Mr. H when it came to explaining the game, she's way more knowledgeable about the whole thing. It makes sense, most players would probably know these things, though in the game i didn't get the sense Shiki had this much of a grip on the details.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Sorry about the lack of a thread. I think I pissed Square Enix off by tweeting about the Calling and Twister openings hours before the episode aired, so episode 3 didn't go up in Australia until sometime Saturday morning.

I enjoyed getting to see the two reapers in a restaurant, and the allure of Beat confronting them and then being absent from the end of the Reapers' Game was a decision that I agree with.

I find it interesting that they had Shiki take over for Mr. H when it came to explaining the game, she's way more knowledgeable about the whole thing. It makes sense, most players would probably know these things, though in the game i didn't get the sense Shiki had this much of a grip on the details.
I think this has more to do with NEO fleshing out the beginning of the Reapers' Game (of which the Anime is now the definitive universe that NEO is a sequel to.) The description for how NEO starts is

A girl with an ominous aura appears before him, identifying herself as a so-called Reaper. With some trepidation, Rindo decides to play along with this Reapers’ Game, but something is weird...
So with Shiki having this kind of info, it puts into the viewers head that she met a Reaper and was given information.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Oh man, Rhyme’s death was way more violent. The crunch sound, her body going limp. That was gruesome.

Also Shiki being taken as Neku’s Fee was also heart-wrenching. In the game she just thinks she’s going back to the RG and so does Neku, but this change was intense.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
So with Shiki having this kind of info, it puts into the viewers head that she met a Reaper and was given information.
I figured everyone would be given an idea of how the rules worked before their entry fees were taken, either by the Game Masters, Conductor or Coco.

Also Shiki being taken as Neku’s Fee was also heart-wrenching. In the game she just thinks she’s going back to the RG and so does Neku, but this change was intense.
Absolutely, makes that realisation hurt a lot more for Neku too. Again, I fully expect that to be a ‘Big NO’ moment in the eventual English dub

Back