• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The World Ends With You - The Animation - Episode 1 "The Reapers' Game" Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

LostArtist

Awards
so umm, I just saw this pop up on hulu home page, so um I've never played the games (but like i mean kh3d was already pretty spoilery? maybe idk). Should I watch this before playing or is that sacrilegious lmfao

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
so umm, I just saw this pop up on hulu home page, so um I've never played the games (but like i mean kh3d was already pretty spoilery? maybe idk). Should I watch this before playing or is that sacrilegious lmfao
No, you can totally just watch the anime. They're treating it kinda like the definitive way to experience the original's story in preparation for the sequel's release this summer. Just be aware that it's a 12-episode run so the pacing will be kinda wonky.

But of course if you do have the chance to play the game, I definitely recommend doing so :) DDD doesn't really go over much.

NEOFuddyDuddy

Awards
I'm not sure what the policies on spoilers on, but I'll tread lightly regardless:

I'm sorta glad this series exists. I'll be able to reintroduce myself to the series before NEO comes out, so that's really refreshing (even though, if I'm being honest, the anime kinda makes me want to play the game again; I probably will after I finish it). I really dig the art style and animation, and even though the CGI is pretty hit-or-miss, it's nice to see these fights translated over to something flashier than just tapping on pins, repeating those same animations lol. Something about Neku's characterization so far strikes me as different or odd, but I can quite put my finger on it. Might just be me tho.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
I’m not too fussed about spoiler tags being used for the anime yet.

It all releases within a 24 hour period around the world, and we don’t generate much TWEWY discussion for people to stumble across accidentally.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I'm not sure what the policies on spoilers on, but I'll tread lightly regardless:

I'm sorta glad this series exists. I'll be able to reintroduce myself to the series before NEO comes out, so that's really refreshing (even though, if I'm being honest, the anime kinda makes me want to play the game again; I probably will after I finish it). I really dig the art style and animation, and even though the CGI is pretty hit-or-miss, it's nice to see these fights translated over to something flashier than just tapping on pins, repeating those same animations lol. Something about Neku's characterization so far strikes me as different or odd, but I can quite put my finger on it. Might just be me tho.

I think a difference between Game!Neku and Anime!Neku, at least so far, is that he’s a bit more vocal in his thoughts? Most of his thoughts early in the game are read as internal monologue rather than spoken dialogue.
And he seems more.. self-accountable? As I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, he apologises to Shiki, for nearly killing her, of his own accord. Meanwhile in the game he was more insisted into apologising by Mr Hanekoma.

The circumstances of that scene change as well. In the anime, it’s established Noise feed off negative emotions of not only regular people, but also Players and Reapers if they aren‘t kept in check, and since Neku’s negativity kept building up, it resulted in him being possessed by the Noise when he did it.
Meanwhile in the game, Uzuki took advantage of Neku’s untrusting nature and manipulated him into thinking Shiki was a Reaper. And as far as we know, Game!Neku was fully aware he was about to kill her. If Mr H didn’t come by when he did, both Neku and Shiki would’ve been out for good. Of course, Game!Neku thankfully grows into a better character, but it is a low point for him.

Sakuraba Neku

Awards
I always have low expectations when it comes to anime adaptations from videogames, but despite the rushed pacing I'm enjoying this a lot.
More than anything I feel the staff cares to be faithful to the source material atmosphere and that's important for me.

Last edited:

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
I like how the anime has been adapting the game's story. It's different, but mostly still feels the same. I am a bit nervous with how quickly they're going through everything, but so far the relationships still feel the same even if they're evolving a bit fast and the changes to the story don't seem to derail the main plot, at least not yet.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
I like how the anime has been adapting the game's story. It's different, but mostly still feels the same. I am a bit nervous with how quickly they're going through everything, but so far the relationships still feel the same even if they're evolving a bit fast and the changes to the story don't seem to derail the main plot, at least not yet.
With the pace the anime is progressing, you can expect this to be a 12-to-13-episode anime. It’s clear the staff are being pragmatic in their adaptation in terms of time, but they‘re also packing in a lot of nods to the game in small ways too.

KudoTsurugi

Awards
So now that the English dub has started up, I figured it would be good to bring these threads back to talk about it and see what folks think of the show upon a rewatch after it ended a few months back.

For the newcoming cast, I’m mostly sold. Ben Balmeceda got Neku’s personality across immediately, Van Barr Jr’s Beat actually reminds of how Beat sounded in the first game which is pretty good, and Dani Chambers sounds very cute as Rhyme.
The only new cast for the main group that hasn’t completely sold me is Morgan Lauré as Shiki. She’s not bad in the role, far from it, it’s just a different voice that’s gonna take a bit of getting used to.

And of course, the adapted script was great as well. Love the nods to the games that were put in. There was one awkward read before the boss Noise showed up in the O-East fight, but other than that it was solid across the board.

Back