• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Werewolf Game

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

giuocob

Alright, this is a project different from anything I've ever written before. I think I'll be working on this for many months, maybe even years. With luck, it'll come out as something publishable, so I'm putting a lot of work into it. I might go weeks at a time without any new updates or chapters.

As of now, I don't have a first chapters. I don't have any characters. I don't even really have a plot. What I've got is a concept that I'm going to bend into a plot, then put in characters to fit that. Here it is:

A lot of you have probably heard of The Werewolf Game before. (Or perhaps you know it as The Mafia.) It's a large group game that's played both online and at parties. In it, a certain number of people are selected as werewolves, unbeknownst to the rest of the people, who become the villagers. Gameplay is partitioned into a series of nights and days. Every night, the werewolves conspire to kill one of the townspeople, and every day, the villagers (including the werewolves in secret) try to discover the identities of the werewolves, eventually voting to kill one of them.

In short, I want to take this game and make it into a novel. A small town, somehow isolated from any military aid or means of escape, has several of its inhabitants bitten by werewolves. The werewolves slowly kill off members of the town, while the rest of the townsmen murder people who they suspect to be the killers. It's probably going to end in victory for the humans, though it will hardly be a happy end.

This will NOT be comedic in any well. It also isn't going to be fantasy adventure novel; I might appease my inner fantasy writer by putting in a few fights, but they won't drive the book. If I had to classify it, I'd probably call it a mystery. I want this to really resemble the actual gameplay, with real evidence, suspicions, and red herrings. The werewolves will be kept a secret from the reader until the end, so they can join in the guessing. But more than that, it will be a character-driven novel. The story will be told by the perspective of one person, who watches as his neighbors slowly destroy the town. This story is obviously a very emotional one, and as such, I need CHARACTERS. Dozens of them. All the actual forefront characters, the main players in executions, everybody who is killed; if they don't seem like real people, the whole thing will just come out as corny.

So, I've got a lot of goals in this one. The mystery plot needs to remain exciting, keeping the reader guessing as to the werewolves' identities. And at the same time, it needs to have emotion. In addition, I'm also going to explore the exact nature of a society that degrades from a functioning community into something like this, a la Lord of the Flies.

So, there's my introduction. As of now, this thread is for my own brainstorming, though I'd be delighted if someone wanted to help me. The first thing I'm going to do is to construct a whole town of unique characters, each with their own characterization sheet. I'll put those up here as I spit them out. If anybody has any ideas for me, please, share them with me.

giuocob

Alright, progress has been made. As of now, I have a name for the town. Chosen, Nebraska. Like, chosen for massacre! BAHAHAHA...well, I've got far more than just a name. Here is a rough sketch of the town's layout. A lot of it is hard to read, but you should be able to get the general idea.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h274/giuocob/SettingChosenNebraska.jpg?t=1214535878

Yes, the town is not real, but this is a real spot on the map. It's situated to the north of a road known only as 'county route Q', and id near a river with that exact shape, slightly northwest of a small city called Fremont. I've been enough residential space there to suit about 1200 people, so I'm going to cut back on it a little.

Well, Chosen, Nebraska is set in the year 1980, in eastern Nebraska. It's a very small rural town, centered around corn farming, and as such is very backward. Because the entire town is approximately 2 miles wide, very few people feel a need for cars, and most people get around by either bicycle or walking. When people need to go somewhere else, they go to the taxi station or take a bus. The material and economic needs of the town are handled by an external trucking line, which once a week brings supplies and removes corn to be sold. A single mechanic and his family handle all the automotive and electrical needs of the whole town. A single line, leading to the nearby Fremont, brings power and communications to Chosen. In short, if the power line were to be cut and the few cars destroyed...say, by a werewolf...the town would be completely stranded and without aid.

Now is the time for me to start making characters. And boy, there are a lot of them. Given the nature of the story, I need at least a name for all of the people listed below.

Main character (male, about 21, poor but educated farmer)
Main character's family
Main character's romance (will play a major role in the story)
Mayor
Town council
Attorney
Sheriff
Several teachers
Operators for every business on the map (includes, gas stations, hotel, restaurants, grocery, drug store, farm supply store, arcade, golf course, laundromat...a whole lot of stuff.)
At least a few farmers
...???

Everything is wide open. Hell, I don't even know who the werewolves are going to be yet. If anyone has any ideas at all, I need all the help I can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back