• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The voice from the beginning of KH1 has been troubling me. . .

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awards
You're remembering correctly; it should have gone to Riku, but he let himself fall into the darkness instead. What I meant was that the Keyblade hadn't presented itself to anyone yet at that point, either Sora or Riku. So, if Mickey was calling out to a Keyblade wielder (the one he mentions in the letter), neither of them would have fit the bill. That's why I am thinking it had something to do with Ven's Keyblade already being there; although dormant, his is technically the only one left with its wielder at that point in the series. That's just my speculation own speculation, though. :)

It still makes sense that it was Mickey, though, given what he says about opening the door and, at the end, the door to light. I guess it's just a matter of why his voice spoke to Sora's heart instead of Riku's, which was where I got the idea about Ventus.
Ahh! I see, well I guess that makes sense. Though w may never actually know the circumstances of why he heard the voice. For all we know, Sora was just passed out after sniffing too many paupu leaves....

Key Wielder

Awards
Ahh! I see, well I guess that makes sense. Though w may never actually know the circumstances of why he heard the voice. For all we know, Sora was just passed out after sniffing too many paupu leaves....

So that's what he was doing in the secret place. You learn something new every day. ;D But I agree: now that we have come so far, we probably never will get a definitive answer about that voice. I could see the king mentioning it at the end of the Xehanort saga or the series as a whole, sort of as a "remember where this all began" situation, but that is still a ways away.

Awards
So that's what he was doing in the secret place. You learn something new every day. ;D But I agree: now that we have come so far, we probably never will get a definitive answer about that voice. I could see the king mentioning it at the end of the Xehanort saga or the series as a whole, sort of as a "remember where this all began" situation, but that is still a ways away.
Hopefully not too far though! I'm still hoping that the main KH team just works on Versus and the BBS team can do KH3. I like this whole command deck thing! :3 haha

4EverFree

Awards
King Mickey? Really? o_O
I'd always assumed the voice was kingdom hearts itself y'know? Hence why it was only text and no voice, but I guess I could see that working, just.
Although remembering the atmosphere of those initial scenes, thinking of Mickey's voice is certainly gonna add a "lighter" tone XD

Though w may never actually know the circumstances of why he heard the voice. For all we know, Sora was just passed out after sniffing too many paupu leaves....

Or that lol

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Looking at it from the other side though, out of the three "possible" voiced that it could be, Mickey is still the most likely one and makes the most sense.
Ansem SoD would not talk like this, as whenever he directs his voice towards Sora it's in a more mocking, berating and belittling voice, not really the tone what the phrasing of the words in the Awakening of KH1 indicates.
Who else? Ventus? Even less likely.
First off Ventus would never word his speech like that voice is portrayed in KH 1 and second being fully comatose and having a heavily maimed heart Ven has surely other things to worry about than giving out weird random speeches inside some people's dreams.

Kingdom Hearts itself? Uh, it would be new for me that KH has actually a voice...<__<

theirlosthearts

Awards
"Princess of Heart" Pillars.

There's no correlation at all between Sora and the princesses (and, by extension, the Keyblade of Peoples' Heart), so I've always wondered what was up with that.

Ok, thanks. And the Princesses of Heart's hearts (lol) did go to Sora's heart in KH1, so some connection had to exist between them and Sora or between them and the keyblade. That might have been explained in the game, but I can't remember for sure. They might have said something about the hearts going to the chosen one, but I may be remembering things.

Looking at it from the other side though, out of the three "possible" voiced that it could be, Mickey is still the most likely one and makes the most sense.
Ansem SoD would not talk like this, as whenever he directs his voice towards Sora it's in a more mocking, berating and belittling voice, not really the tone what the phrasing of the words in the Awakening of KH1 indicates.
Who else? Ventus? Even less likely.
First off Ventus would never word his speech like that voice is portrayed in KH 1 and second being fully comatose and having a heavily maimed heart Ven has surely other things to worry about than giving out weird random speeches inside some people's dreams.

Kingdom Hearts itself? Uh, it would be new for me that KH has actually a voice...<__<

I agree about Ventus and Ansem SoD, but the reason for the change from Mickey's normal speech patterns still hasn't been explained. Also, how would Mickey know that Sora was the chosen one? Additionally, Kingdom Hearts is implied to have some degree of sentience (as seen in the fact that it chose Sora to open the door), and didn't King Mickey say that Kingdom Hearts was calling on Sora (not with an actual voice) near the end of KH2? Besides, it doesn't mean that Kingdom Hearts has a voice per se, since Sora was in the dive to the heart it might not have been a physical voice. It could have been a voice in his head, we don't know for sure since all we saw was text on the screen.

This just occurred to me. If you played KH1 in German, the difference in Mickey's speech patterns and the voice in the dive to the heart may or may not have been translated fully. Although, German is pretty similar to English (at least in my opinion), so I dunno if that vernacular would translate. Did you notice a difference?

When the Ultimania said that it was supposed to be the king, I sort of assumed that it was more like Mickey was reaching out to the other Key, whoever that might be. The same day Sora has that dream, Mickey has already decided to investigate why the worlds are disappearing and said in the letter that Donald and Goofy needed to find the Key. (They find the letter the next morning, so Mickey would have left on the first day.) If he was simply calling out to the heart of the other Keyblade wielder, he wouldn't have known Sora's name yet to tell Donald, especially since his name doesn't come up in the Awakening.

Sora's awakening began the day before Mickey left, so they would have had some communication at least. And I didn't mean Sora's name, but heart to heart communication usually gives the involved individuals some feelings and knowledge of each other as their hearts are connected. Of course, KH may not use the general sci-fi/fantasy rules, so we can't be sure.

There is the fact that Riku was supposed to get the Keyblade at first, not Sora, which would seem to indicate that he should have been speaking to Riku instead. However, given that Sora was having an Awakening to begin with, maybe it had something to do with the fact that he had Ven's heart as well. If Mickey was calling out to the other Keyblade wielder, that would mean the Keyblade would have already appeared to that person. Mickey's heart would have been connected to Sora through Ventus, so perhaps since the Keyblade hadn't appeared yet, his voice reached Sora's heart because of Ven's dormant Keyblade. (It obviously didn't go anywhere since Roxas could wield it but was dormant because Sora couldn't in the first game.)
We still don't have much information on this sort of communication, so anything's a possibility. Although, since the keyblade chooses its master, saying that Riku was supposed to get the keyblade may not be as correct as saying that Terra wanted Riku to get the keyblade. We still don't know if keyblade wielders have absolute control over who receives their keyblade or if they only have partial control. Riku was the one who gave Aqua's keyblade to Kairi in KH2. Although, it is possible he got it in the RoD.

Since I haven't played any FMs, I can't say for sure, but didn't Terra's armor (I can't remember its name) have a keyblade? If he/it had a keyblade, how could Sora have his keyblade at the same time for that fight?

As for the vernacular... I can only assume we're not supposed to be able to tell that it is Mickey until later. If they worded it like they did in the letter or the FM scene where he speaks to Riku, we would know immediately that it was Mickey talking. One of the most dramatic parts of the game is supposed to be when we actually meet Mickey for the first time, though, so it would be a little anticlimactic to know that technically he and Sora have already met. That's just a guess, though. :)
Yes, it would be anticlimactic, but that's metaphysical. What's the in-game explanation?

...I have no clue if that made any sense, but that is how I see it if it is supposed to be King Mickey's voice.
Don't worry, your writing is clear =)

I still think the ultimania copped out since Nomura didn't say it himself, but maybe we'll see sometime in the future.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I agree about Ventus and Ansem SoD, but the reason for the change from Mickey's normal speech patterns still hasn't been explained. Also, how would Mickey know that Sora was the chosen one? Additionally, Kingdom Hearts is implied to have some degree of sentience (as seen in the fact that it chose Sora to open the door), and didn't King Mickey say that Kingdom Hearts was calling on Sora (not with an actual voice) near the end of KH2? Besides, it doesn't mean that Kingdom Hearts has a voice per se, since Sora was in the dive to the heart it might not have been a physical voice. It could have been a voice in his head, we don't know for sure since all we saw was text on the screen.

The explanation can be surprisingly easy if one gives Mickey the benefit of the doubt that he can speak in a more "normal, non-Mickey"-way when special conditions arise. I bet if Bret Iwan would actually do the stuff we see there in Mickey's voice there would be no confusion anymore at all.
This "mystery speech" was actually used by Mickey again in Coded when he alluded to Data-Sora gaining a heart (a new power!):

Coded said:
(A flash of light fills the screen. When it fades, the damage blocks are gone, and Sora has his keyblade back!)

Sora: ...What? What just happened? This is... my keyblade?

(Donald and Goofy get up and line up with Sora to face Pete)

Pete: What's going on here!? I thought Maleficent destroyed that thing...

Voice: It looks like a new power has emerged from inside you.

(The camera turns to the entrance, revealing the speaker)
Sora: Mickey!

(Mickey enters the room and stands with the party)

Sora: What's going on? What's this new power?

Mickey: I don't know all the details, but... I think something has awakened inside of you. The keyblade is tightly connected to the Power of the Heart.
Yet, an old friend told me that the Heart can't be turned into Data.
Still, as you came up all this way, we developed a Bond. It might have created something new, something that goes beyond data. I'm sure it's a unique new power that you obtained through the bonds with your friends across the worlds.

I don't think it's too off to connect Mickey with that Dive to the Heart speech, as in the snippet above he also uses no names and speaks more "formal".

As for Kingdom Hearts being sentient, that has been hinted also by Xigbar in Days, but that still doesn't hint anywhere towards KH being able to speak (even telepathically).
Furthermore, KH is said to be a conglomerate of millions of Hearts, so if it could "speak" it would need to have more than a million voices.
(As I doubt that the Hearts within KH vote for a Speaker or a chancellor who speaks on their behalf, lol).

This just occurred to me. If you played KH1 in German, the difference in Mickey's speech patterns and the voice in the dive to the heart may or may not have been translated fully. Although, German is pretty similar to English (at least in my opinion), so I dunno if that vernacular would translate. Did you notice a difference?
In German, Mickey's actual voice is close to the English one and the Dive to the Heart-speech in KH 1 is certainly held more "formal" than we are used to from Mickey, more along the lines Yen Sid, Eraqus or Ansem the Wise would speak and definitely not Ansem SoD or Ven.
Still, Mickey can be more formal and serious if he wants to be, so I think what irritates most people is that it is really only text.

We still don't have much information on this sort of communication, so anything's a possibility. Although, since the keyblade chooses its master, saying that Riku was supposed to get the keyblade may not be as correct as saying that Terra wanted Riku to get the keyblade. We still don't know if keyblade wielders have absolute control over who receives their keyblade or if they only have partial control. Riku was the one who gave Aqua's keyblade to Kairi in KH2. Although, it is possible he got it in the RoD.

Since I haven't played any FMs, I can't say for sure, but didn't Terra's armor (I can't remember its name) have a keyblade? If he/it had a keyblade, how could Sora have his keyblade at the same time for that fight?

Riku was supposed to get the Keyblade because he's a true chosen one, chosen by one with sufficient power to "pass the power".
Sora isn't a real chosen one since he got the ability to wield and the Keyblade itself due to his power to connect with other hearts.

You have a misconception here, Terra didn't chose Riku to inherit hisKeyblade. The Earthshaker/Ends of the Earth is Terra's personal Keyblade and remains his.
The Keyblade meant for Riku (Kingdom Key) is a new one.
The Inheritance ceremony passes the power (aka the ability to wield a Keyblade) to a heart making it qualified to wield a Keyblade, not an actual Keyblade.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Gosh I don't remember ^.^ I might have to play it again sometime soon. Thanks.

No problem ^_^ And I'm playing through KH1 again myself =D

The explanation can be surprisingly easy if one gives Mickey the benefit of the doubt that he can speak in a more "normal, non-Mickey"-way when special conditions arise. I bet if Bret Iwan would actually do the stuff we see there in Mickey's voice there would be no confusion anymore at all.
This "mystery speech" was actually used by Mickey again in Coded when he alluded to Data-Sora gaining a heart (a new power!):

I don't think it's too off to connect Mickey with that Dive to the Heart speech, as in the snippet above he also uses no names and speaks more "formal".

In German, Mickey's actual voice is close to the English one and the Dive to the Heart-speech in KH 1 is certainly held more "formal" than we are used to from Mickey, more along the lines Yen Sid, Eraqus or Ansem the Wise would speak and definitely not Ansem SoD or Ven.
Still, Mickey can be more formal and serious if he wants to be, so I think what irritates most people is that it is really only text.

I concur. I think one part of the issue of it just being text is the effects used on the text and the presentation of the text. It seemed more powerful and mysterious than Mickey is usually portrayed (and to me personally, seemed more Final Fantasy than Disney), which is probably why the voice seems off as Mickey for some people.

As for Kingdom Hearts being sentient, that has been hinted also by Xigbar in Days, but that still doesn't hint anywhere towards KH being able to speak (even telepathically).
Furthermore, KH is said to be a conglomerate of millions of Hearts, so if it could "speak" it would need to have more than a million voices.
(As I doubt that the Hearts within KH vote for a Speaker or a chancellor who speaks on their behalf, lol).
Kingdom Hearts wouldn't necessarily need millions of voices, it is still a single entity overall. It would be interesting if KH had its own voting system and government, how would it compare to today's governments? lol

Riku was supposed to get the Keyblade because he's a true chosen one, chosen by one with sufficient power to "pass the power".
Sora isn't a real chosen one since he got the ability to wield and the Keyblade itself due to his power to connect with other hearts.
I wonder if the voice was originally intended to be Mickey or was originally someone/something else, since this means that the voice made a mistake in telling Sora that he was chosen. Mickey would look better making a mistake than a super powerful entity, so maybe they decided down the road that it was Mickey. It would be hard to say unless we learn how far ahead they were really planning storywise.

You have a misconception here, Terra didn't chose Riku to inherit hisKeyblade. The Earthshaker/Ends of the Earth is Terra's personal Keyblade and remains his.
The Keyblade meant for Riku (Kingdom Key) is a new one.
The Inheritance ceremony passes the power (aka the ability to wield a Keyblade) to a heart making it qualified to wield a Keyblade, not an actual Keyblade.
Okay, thanks =D That makes more sense to me. It's nice to have that cleared up.

Nostalgia

livin' in the past
I just figured it was the keyblade itself, or Ven's heart or some shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back