• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The unversity Wi-Fi

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysterious

KA ME HA ME HA!
well the problem is a little complicated

the wi-fi in the university is very fast, but i can't use all of it's speed (especially with torrents)
i asked the technician, he said the speed is 10 mb/s
but my downloads don't go above 20 kb/s (they should be at least 500 kb/s)

so is there any way i could hack with this wi-fi using my laptop?

Doctor Manhattan

Right Click, Save As
No, it isn't complicated at all. 10 Mb/s is the connection for the ENTIRE university- 100s of computers, laptops, etc. That spread out over the whole campus, you'd be lucky to get more than 50 kb/s. If you want faster speeds, you'll have to pay for a separate ISP, or use the internet at times when less people are using the internet (read: wee hours of the morning)

Mysterious

KA ME HA ME HA!
i actually tried downloading with no one in the university
it was 3 am, and i still couldn't even get more than the 50 kb/s
maybe they blocked something...

Petie

Awards
Website
www.spriters-resource.com
Don't forget that torrents work on a sharing protocol. For you to get optimum speeds, you need to have ports open and forwarded to your computer. Otherwise, all activity in both directions is being slowed by the firewall. Also, wireless is always slower than wired so you could try plugging it in directly. I can't guarantee that it will help but it definitely can't hurt.

square-enix

Pederast
Website
www.newsvine.com
10 Mb/s is not fast. It's pretty much the standard for any home today. Take ten percent of the the advertised pipeline and that's your max download and/or upload speed. Even if hundreds of students were browsing about the net, your download speed should still be higher than 20 kb/s. It's your downloading/uploading via torrent that screws up their connection, not the other way around. Hundreds of students browsing the net limits the connection far less than what you do to the entire university connection by downloading/uploading.
It's highly likely that there are other students fond of stealing that are also trying to download and multiple people on a single connection is never a good idea.
The most obvious reason for your low speeds is one you already mentioned. The technicians limited the connection for each student or some such. I don't think many universities are fond of the idea of one person hogging their entire pipeline (along with screwing up the connection of their other paying students) simply because that person wants to download in an educational environment.

If you can somehow 'hack' into their router/modem, their technicians should be fired.

Mysterious

KA ME HA ME HA!
The most obvious reason for your low speeds is one you already mentioned. The technicians limited the connection for each student or some such. I don't think many universities are fond of the idea of one person hogging their entire pipeline (along with screwing up the connection of their other paying students) simply because that person wants to download in an educational environment.

If you can somehow 'hack' into their router/modem, their technicians should be fired.
i don't care about them, i'll do anything to get that speed XD

Don't forget that torrents work on a sharing protocol. For you to get optimum speeds, you need to have ports open and forwarded to your computer. Otherwise, all activity in both directions is being slowed by the firewall.
that is also a problem, there's no ISP or port for the routers
and i can never know them if they exist

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Do not forget, certain protocols and ports can either be disabled, or throttled.
That means, even if you DID have sufficient seeds.. you would still have a slow (throttled) connection.
Some ISPs do this on their own networks... *CoughCough*Comcast*CoughCough*

You should do well to remember that the Uni probably uses the network for other things as well. Web servers, file servers, proxies, firewalls, domain servers, dns/router servers... etc. And you also have other things, such as VOIP phones connected through ethernet, along with network printers, etc. and students on top of all of that.. Do the math.

Peace. Truth. Love.

~~Azurith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back