• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Spoilers ► The trailers from this franchise ruin everything

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

cakito123

Awards
Honestly. I will just rant

I trusted nomura and the staff when they said the trailers werent revealing much.
Even when they released the Final Battle Trailer during KH3's development I though they were only showing fragments of unimportant scenes, or at least the least cool scenes.
But nope. If you watch some trailers you'll see that they show almost every non-disney scene in that trailer, also they show exactly the climaxes from those scenes.
STOP SHOWING ME SNIPPETS OF EVERY SCENE! Let me be surprised about something I didn't see before, you know?

And even when MoM's trailer released, I though they'd have more new flashbacks with Kairi in game, and I was really disappointed (not surprised) to see the only flashback scene from her past life was the one Xehanort puts her in the teleporting machine.

So I say to myself and everyone else reading this: DON'T TRUST KINGDOM HEARTS'S TRAILERS!!! THOSE hediond trailers will show you everything you need, to conjecture and deduce the whole plot and never actually experience the surprise the story will TRY to tell you.

I still cant believe they showed Sora's scream. Such a powerful scene, spoiled :(

okhi12

Awards
I agree they revealed too much for the sake of hype, but no one actually forces us to see the trailers (says the one who has not enough willpower to refuse to see them, haha). I still think it's better to see them anyway to avoid spoilers from somewhere else, but because of that very reason trailers should be more focused on gameplay and a bit less in the crucial cutscenes. I hope we don't see how Riku and possibly Kairi reunite with Sora in a trailer, but I can totally see that happen :cautious:

Katsagu

Awards
Yeah this was something I understood with KH3, and in the next big KH release I'll try to not watch many trailers, I know I'll buy whatever KH game comes out so.

The thing is I really like the discussion online and the hype when it comes to KH, I guess I have to be able to step away from it, or only comment on the gameplay parts.

The Dead Skin

like tears in rain.
Awards
Worse: this isn't a problem exclusive to Kingdom Hearts.

Most trailers, video game or not, will show important scenes because apparently marketing data shows it hooks the audience better than baiting them with mere crumbs. Can you believe the premises of iconic movies like The Truman Show and Groundhog Day were supposed to be plot twists?

Eonstar890

Awards
Yeah my biggest regret for KH3 was watching those trailers... I was so excited at the time, but it rlly ballooned my expectations for the game.

I decided after that to stop watching trailers in general but even with only having watched ONE MoM trailer I still felt like I saw too much so yeah going forward I will wait till the game is in my hands.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Spoiler culture is probably really different in Japan since SE is hardly the only developer to do this sort of thing.

I suppose it's easy to look back in retrospect and point out all the spoilers now that we know how events play out, but at the time we were lacking a lot of context.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards
Personally I'm not as bothered by it. Seeing, we still don't know how we end up where the trailers showed us, but yeah I can see how it can ruin tension and it definitely does lead to ballooned expectations a la "If this is what they're showing in the trailers, how crazy is the stuff they aren't?"

I hope we don't see how Riku and possibly Kairi reunite with Sora in a trailer, but I can totally see that happen :cautious:
Oh they definitely will. If we really will get the three united and fighting side by side, you can be sure that that'll be a highlight of one of the trailers.

cakito123

Awards
I agree they revealed too much for the sake of hype, but no one actually forces us to see the trailers (says the one who has not enough willpower to refuse to see them, haha). I still think it's better to see them anyway to avoid spoilers from somewhere else, but because of that very reason trailers should be more focused on gameplay and a bit less in the crucial cutscenes. I hope we don't see how Riku and possibly Kairi reunite with Sora in a trailer, but I can totally see that happen :cautious:

That's the whole point of this topic.
I also don't have enough wilpower to not see a new trailer from a new KH game. SO I'M MAKING THIS SO WE CAN REMEMBER NEXT TIME. TO NOT TRUST. REMEMBER!!!!
And even if we are not 'forced' to watch, it's good to keep in mind those trailers were/are made specifically FOR us, fans from this goddamn franchise.

This is my fav franchise after all, all I want is to talk about it and have a little bit of hype from a video. But lately having hype and doing that means I'll spoil my final experience with those scenes.

And yeah I know this is not a KH-only thing, but honestly I think they exaggerated with that Final Battle Trailer in KH3's time like no other franchise I love did it for me. It completely spoiled almost the whole ending section. Same for MoM's, but obviously KH3 was a bigger disappointment.

Spoiler culture is probably really different in Japan since SE is hardly the only developer to do this sort of thing.

I suppose it's easy to look back in retrospect and point out all the spoilers now that we know how events play out, but at the time we were lacking a lot of context.

Isn't the thought that we are ALWAYS going to lack context to a future game that releases a trailer terrifying????

Cumguardian69

Awards
Their trailers dont ruin anything. The games themselves are just disappointing. Compare KH to Xenoblade.

cakito123

Awards
Their trailers dont ruin anything. The games themselves are just disappointing. Compare KH to Xenoblade.

I don't follow Xenoblade, but I respectfully 500% disagree on the games being disappointing . I didn't play MoM but KH3 was and is my favrite KH game so far. I love the game very much, but I know that's subjective. For me, it's just those MOST AWESOME scenes in the games. Spoiled on trailers...

Cumguardian69

Awards
^disagree as you will but the point is, after you watch Final Battle Trailer the KH3 only extra story content is Sora disappearing at the end, which was extremely cheap way to tug at the heartstrings before Remind released.

Same thing with MoM. Only extra story content after its Final Trailer was learning the name Quadratum and Kairi goes back to training.

If MonoSoft and their team handled it, they would put out a "Final Battle Trailer" for KH3 but the actual game would have boatloads of post game content and another hour or two of sidequest content that fleshes the Keybladers out. But SE, Disney, and Nomura don't care about that sort of thing. And apparently, not even the fans do. It's pathetic

cakito123

Awards
So you are saying the game having little content is already ruining the game itself? And trailers don't have anything to do with a bad perception on the game?
Weeell, the quality of KH3 isn't the point here. I don't think KH3 is a bad game.

Like you, I do think KH3 could have more content and SHOULD have, but I don't think the trailers helped me have a good experience with those specific scenes and story beats first time I played. It made it all worse.

And Square Enix, knowing at the time that the game didn't have enough content like you said, shouldn't have made the trailers the way it was made. It spoiled a lot from what it had to offer.

You don't think the trailers impacted that much on your experience, because if the game had more content you wouldn't care about being spoiled, right? It makes sense, but the trailers were created this way anyway. And it spoiled big part of the story anyhow

making things simple:
if you like the game > the trailers spoiled some scenes
if you didn't like the game > the trailer spoiled some scenes and made it all worse

okhi12

Awards
Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazing game, one of the best RPGs ever made, but Xenoblade X and Xenoblade 2 are kinda meh. Not bad games but in my -obviously biased- opinion most KH games are more enjoyable both in terms of story and gameplay. Of course your opinion is as valid as anyone's, but though I'm not blind to the flaws of the KH games they weren't that disappointing for me. I expected more with KH3 but ReMind fixed most of my issues with the game.

The Dead Skin

like tears in rain.
Awards

This happens a lot, surprisingly. Anime and tokusatsu often give away big events in episode titles.

SweetYetSalty

Awards
When it came to the KH3 Trailers, I loved the first two...or was it three? It was the Frozen, Tangled, and Pirates of the Caribbean trailers. They showed enough gameplay and small story bits. They showed Riku, Axel, and Kairi, characters we all knew were returning, but was cool to see. They also showed some surprises like Luxord, Marluxia, and Larxene. Certainly surprises but not the big ones. The biggest thing was obviously Anti-Aqua. However showing that certainly woke up KH community. Everything after that was probably too much, even though I did like the hype and speculations going on. If nothing else it really shows the Organization coats are truly effective in hiding someone's appearance, even when you can guess who is who from body structure, people were legit confused and fooled with the hoods up.

SuperSaiyanSora

Awards

Perfect time to mention this, but a month ago, I actually went back and watched the old trailers for BBS and KH3D. As it turns out, those trailers did the same thing. KH3D especially showed a lot of what ended up being the final act of the game. So it really isn't a new thing at all for SE. I think it's only different now because most people wouldn't expect the KH3 Final Battle trailer to reveal THAT much, which is fair.

Sign

trapped in revamp hell
Staff member
Awards
Isn't the thought that we are ALWAYS going to lack context to a future game that releases a trailer terrifying????
I personally don't think so, but I recognize that it's subjective.

the red monster

Awards
I think anti aqua reveal should've been the last original material reveal. everything after that was overkill.
sadly i can't resist new KH trailers, so yeah, i really hope they will spoil less in the future (they won't)

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Honestly. I will just rant

I trusted nomura and the staff when they said the trailers werent revealing much.
Even when they released the Final Battle Trailer during KH3's development I though they were only showing fragments of unimportant scenes, or at least the least cool scenes.
But nope. If you watch some trailers you'll see that they show almost every non-disney scene in that trailer, also they show exactly the climaxes from those scenes.
STOP SHOWING ME SNIPPETS OF EVERY SCENE! Let me be surprised about something I didn't see before, you know?

And even when MoM's trailer released, I though they'd have more new flashbacks with Kairi in game, and I was really disappointed (not surprised) to see the only flashback scene from her past life was the one Xehanort puts her in the teleporting machine.

So I say to myself and everyone else reading this: DON'T TRUST KINGDOM HEARTS'S TRAILERS!!! THOSE hediond trailers will show you everything you need, to conjecture and deduce the whole plot and never actually experience the surprise the story will TRY to tell you.

I still cant believe they showed Sora's scream. Such a powerful scene, spoiled :(
I stopped watching trailers after I saw the 100 Acre Wood one. I think around that time it was revealed that someone got KH3 and was posting spoilers (which is why I think the Final Battle trailer got leaked).

But I agree with you, they need to advertise the series differently. They need to keep main plot to a minimum. The earlier trailers were actually pretty good in that sense - the Toy Story and Monsters Inc. ones shows mostly gameplay, Disney worlds/characters, and a tiny bit of main plot. It got me hyped to see what Young Xehanort and Vanitas were doing in those worlds.

It all went downhill once they threw in "Mickey, you're too late", the Sora scream, shots of everyone dying... why not just throw Yozora in there while you're at it?

I hope that they actually reveal only a few Disney worlds, show gameplay mostly, and a tiny portion of main plot in the Disney world (and a little outside). I hope that they keep some Disney worlds a secret until you actually play the game. They can probably do that for returning worlds (minus Arendelle for obvious reasons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back